DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
Another great aspect if he switch to Unity will be a finally good save system. And IIRC in BB you can increase the number of saves by tweaking the right file.
@Jmolle2 I know nothing about coding, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how can bad coding increase the grinding? Isn't it due to how he conceived the gameplay?

Major Wanker

Apr 27, 2017
Another great aspect if he switch to Unity will be a finally good save system. And IIRC in BB you can increase the number of saves by tweaking the right file.
@Jmolle2 I know nothing about coding, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how can bad coding increase the grinding? Isn't it due to how he conceived the gameplay?
Code is not the issue. The issue is the engine not reading the code right or jumping over variables. Half the time the engine takes the variables and defaults them 1 causing grind and a huge headache.
For instance the massage variable defaults to 1 constantly but on some days randomly your massage stat can jump by 100 points.

Angus Bez

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly if he uses the right plugins its a fantastic move. I have offered my services to the dev in an attempt to speed up the conversion to unity. From what he has stated his plan is to move everything to unity. So this wont be a continuation like so many other games that have done engine moves. This of course does mean 2 months ish for the next version. Thats if he accepts the help from myself and my small band of perverts that mod pc games with me. I will say this the good thing is his decent rig can render images while he works on the unity engine. So there should be a good chunk of content added
I hope he's wise enough to bring you on-board. If he stuffs up too badly when changing engines this could really kill the game off completely - especially after the disasters of v0.7 and now v0.10 (admittedly for different reasons!). v08 & v0.9 saved him somewhat but a major change like that could make or break this project!

The good thing to his advantage, so far, with the current engine has been the easy access to the saved games so people can cut the grind down to suit their own patience (i.e. reduce it or remove it completely!) so if the right balance isn't hit, without a chance to do this, will lose an awful lot of players if they have to restart...

Major Wanker

Apr 27, 2017
I hope he's wise enough to bring you on-board. If he stuffs up too badly when changing engines this could really kill the game off completely - especially after the disasters of v0.7 and now v0.10 (admittedly for different reasons!). v08 & v0.9 saved him somewhat but a major change like that could make or break this project!

The good thing to his advantage, so far, with the current engine has been the easy access to the saved games so people can cut the grind down to suit their own patience (i.e. reduce it or remove it completely!) so if the right balance isn't hit, without a chance to do this, will lose an awful lot of players if they have to restart...
Agreed, i have suggested a 1 time skip feature for returning players. So when the game launches and people go to start a new game it states skip to end of 0.10 content or start new game. Only downside of this is dev does not know much about implementing that. So i may have created more work for myself ontop of the responsibilities i have with 15 other devs

Angus Bez

Dec 11, 2017
Agreed, i have suggested a 1 time skip feature for returning players. So when the game launches and people go to start a new game it states skip to end of 0.10 content or start new game. Only downside of this is dev does not know much about implementing that. So i may have created more work for myself ontop of the responsibilities i have with 15 other devs
Actually, a better move would be to supply a saved game file with all content from previous update finished and an averaged out set of stats for skills and money/reputation. This way there would be no extra work or full complications. Just my 2¢

Major Wanker

Apr 27, 2017
Actually, a better move would be to supply a saved game file with all content from previous update finished and an averaged out set of stats for skills and money/reputation. This way there would be no extra work or full complications. Just my 2¢
The issue with that is saves may not exactly work from version to version for first 2 builds. Plus theres the issue of lazy people not downloading the save then bitching and moaning. I know alot of people here are smart normal folk. But there alot of brain dead pervets out there

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
Also in regards to saves how many save slots is enough? And would you want to label said saves?
Labeling would be nice and how many slots Ren'Py offers? Like 6x99? That would be enough :) Definitely more than what Unity offers...

Reactions: Angus Bez

Angus Bez

Dec 11, 2017
Also in regards to saves how many save slots is enough? And would you want to label said saves?
Usually you only need a couple (current and one or two backup) depending on what routes are available in a game. For me, in this game I have slot 4 for content up to the end of version 0.4, slot 5 for version 0.5, etc so I can replay said content for checking or going over stuff when we get questions on here. For me, so far, there are enough slots for a while yet!

Reactions: Kara Zor-El

Major Wanker

Apr 27, 2017
Labeling would be nice and how many slots Ren'Py offers? Like 6x99? That would be enough :) Definitely more than what Unity offers...
Actually unity does not have a save limit. With some tweaks and a few lines of code you can have thousands of saves. Only issue is over 200 used save slots can cause lag if people have potato computers. As engine takes time to read them before loading

3.40 star(s) 62 Votes