UserX

Feb 5, 2018
DiscardedUnion since we are talking about it, not exactly an error, but the father-earrings scene makes little sense when you play the tomboy. Ok, maybe he was used to see her as a tomboy, but his reaction doesn't fit with her being a girl, I'd say. It immediately looked to me like it was supposed to happen in the trans/gay path.

Johntheloner

Jun 14, 2017
DiscardedUnion since we are talking about it, not exactly an error, but the father-earrings scene makes little sense when you play the tomboy. Ok, maybe he was used to see her as a tomboy, but his reaction doesn't fit with her being a girl, I'd say. It immediately looked to me like it was supposed to happen in the trans/gay path.
I took it as the father being either ultra-conservative (the really uptight type), or overprotective.
Speaking as someone with nieces and nephews, if the upper-teens/early twenties tomboy suddenly showed up with not just piercings, but feminine ones, it'd warrant a bit of interrogation, and that's from an uncle, let alone a father who was living with them and abruptly blindsided with it.

Reactions: Grelk

DiscardedUnion

Dev & Writer of Sculptor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
I took it as the father being either ultra-conservative (the really uptight type), or overprotective.
Speaking as someone with nieces and nephews, if the upper-teens/early twenties tomboy suddenly showed up with not just piercings, but feminine ones, it'd warrant a bit of interrogation, and that's from an uncle, let alone a father who was living with them and abruptly blindsided with it.
I think the scene needs to work in isolation, so maybe I'll try and massage it a little, but yeah, the father is very overprotective and at some point we'll get to see a bit more into that and it should make a little more sense then. The scene should be more about "you made this change without me knowing about it" than the specifics of the change, but obviously the reaction is always going to feel more warranted in certain setups. As I say, I'll try and get an edit in at some point to make that feel better for the some setups.

Reactions: masterdragonson

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
Yeah, people can come up with all the justifications they want, but nothing changes the fact that this is the biggest problem with this project: being able to make both main characters either gender just creates too much variance. Either the amount of writing the creator has to do is multiplied by 4 (for MxF, MxM, FxF and FxM) or all the scenes have to be vague enough to work with any gender, otherwise you end up with bizarre discrepancies like this. I think it was interesting but overambitious and the game really should have just been pared back to a single route from the start (MxM is the natural thematic fit). Having to accommodate all routes at once really only slows down development progression.

DiscardedUnion

Dev & Writer of Sculptor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Yeah, people can come up with all the justifications they want, but nothing changes the fact that this is the biggest problem with this project: being able to make both main characters either gender just creates too much variance. Either the amount of writing the creator has to do is multiplied by 4 (for MxF, MxM, FxF and FxM) or all the scenes have to be vague enough to work with any gender, otherwise you end up with bizarre discrepancies like this. I think it was interesting but overambitious and the game really should have just been pared back to a single route from the start (MxM is the natural thematic fit). Having to accommodate all routes at once really only slows down development progression.
Yeah, I understand the concern. It is always a trade-off between making a game too specific and trying to do too much, I admit I probably bit off a bit too much for my first game, but hopefully I can deliver in the end.

VikkiBunni

Dec 9, 2018
Okay, I'm having fun but stuck. Chose a male and male relationship towards dominance. Last encounter was him telling me about some card game at a store, keeping it vague for spoiler reasons, and since then every day for a month is on repeat?

DiscardedUnion

Dev & Writer of Sculptor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Okay, I'm having fun but stuck. Chose a male and male relationship towards dominance. Last encounter was him telling me about some card game at a store, keeping it vague for spoiler reasons, and since then every day for a month is on repeat?
It should be that if you have completed all the events in the game, the game ends. Sounds like a bug or a softlock in the event chain somehow—hard to say exactly without knowing exactly what events you have done and in what order. If you want to send me the save file, I can take a look and see what is up.

Reactions: VikkiBunni

VikkiBunni

Dec 9, 2018
Nvrm, I got on again and NOW it wants to give me more dialogue and options. I was like I only played for like 20 mins. Not sure what happened but now is working!

DiscardedUnion

Dev & Writer of Sculptor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Nvrm, I got on again and NOW it wants to give me more dialogue and options. I was like I only played for like 20 mins. Not sure what happened but now is working!
Hrm, may have just been you were locked behind an event that had to happen during a school holiday or something. Glad it is working for you now, let me know if you run into anything else.

smackdab

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, I understand the concern. It is always a trade-off between making a game too specific and trying to do too much, I admit I probably bit off a bit too much for my first game, but hopefully I can deliver in the end.
I'd really suggest you focus on completing one or two paths first, for a couple reasons: a) This actually lets you pull the plug on the game much sooner if need be, without it being "uncompleteable", b) It lets you get a feel for the length and thus effort required for a path to be developed.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 9 Votes