4.20 star(s) 40 Votes

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Okay... I'm up-to-date. Just finished playing everything today.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hope this helps; have a wonderful day ahead! :)
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it :)
I woke up with heartburn at 2am and so now you guys get a book because I need to pass the time LOL...

Pretty much everything you said, I am aware of (if you went through this thread, you would see it all mentioned at some point). You're the first to mention Kat's appearance though. At my very beginnings, there was a lot of drama (in this thread) about her but not about her appearance.

It is true the music is rather sparse (something I actually JUST responded to someone about here). I am extremely picky about my music choices and that shit isn't free... plus the selections get more difficult to find. When I play AVN's, I nearly always disable sound and play my own music. I found that a lot of people do that. So I wanted to make sure I chose good music and even went so far as to pay for properly licensed music before I was even generating enough income to cover the cost. So yes, the music is strategically placed for now. But I do plan to add more before the final (completed) game is released. I have a tendency to go back and redo/fix/add things in Serenity. The only song not licensed is the menu music, which is my own composition.

On my writing style... I'm no pro writer and will never claim that. But yes, I am fully aware of the story flow, especially early on. And as you noted, I've tried to address it. But addressing it has meant adding a lot of unplanned dialogue that I've had to write and come up with 'on the fly'. Serenity was written around 2 years ago. And during development, I have already had to abandon my original story after a certain point due to those changes. It seems I write at least a little better 'on the fly'. I just try to have fun with the story now. I find that I will write out my dialogue for a scene and as I go back and start rendering for it, I run across little opportunities to have something funny happen. For example... back when Camilla first came to Serenity island, there is a scene where Kat, Alena, Jasmine, and Trina are at the "safe house" (valentine room). When Jasmine tells Kat that she should be the one to take Trina to Mom's place in the void, Kat jumps up and her tail smacks Lena in the face - Lena makes some annoyed expressions. I don't know how many people notice these little things, but I throw in stuff like that every chance I get.

On the quick drama resolution... it was a creative choice to resolve those couple of early struggles quickly. Why? Because in my mind, I was writing a (mostly) happy story. But Serenity wasn't really meant to just be 'fucking'. It was a story based on the power of love feeding into a magical energy (the fade). There is one conflict I would rather completely get rid of now... the Cassie/Samantha meeting in the dungeon. I hate it so much. I have 3 alternate options already written now to replace it - if I ever find the time. That whole section is just lame compared to how it was originally written. It just doesn't look the same in a VN environment, and frankly, it just comes off stupid IMO. Also, it is in DIRE need of better graphics. I was still learning back then and I know now I can make it look a lot better. In my defense... I wanted to resolve it right then and I am SO GLAD I did because at the very least, it's less I have to go back and fix. The "Daddy" conflict will be MUCH different. Some will probably get pissed at me, and if they don't quit on me, they'll love me again as things flesh out LOL. After that drama about Kat when I started, I no longer let anything people say about Serenity bother me at all... I write what I want to write. But I won't be making anyone choose between saving one girl and letting another one burn... that was an awesome game but for me, that part was just a bit too harsh. I want to have conflicts that stir your emotions... draw tears or even make you laugh... I have no interest in shocking you. The thing Trixy did by forcing MC to dream about his Mom's funeral was meant to be a tear jerker... and from what many have told me, it did that well. But again... that scene didn't quite turn out the way I intended because that was straight out of my original story. At least I did better with that than with some other situations.

Character development... Again, this was already mentioned by quite a few people. And no one needed to tell me because I knew I was doing a bad job of developing characters' personalities; I own that. And that is exactly why there is a reflection of the past for Kat. People hated on her so much in the beginning. If I had done a better job writing her to begin with, and people knew that past, it probably would have been a non-issue (probably - I don't know... some people were just blatantly rude about it, even going so far as to send me ugly PMs - I almost quit before I got going; it brought me down so much).

Sex scenes... Fuck. Sex scenes. I almost hate writing them. And that may come as a shocker from a dev making an AVN. When I started this thing, I had NO idea how to animate. So that was a problem in itself. So I basically hired another dev (Cryoxxx) to make animations for me and to train me along the way. I went back and redid the shower scene with Kat. It was horrible. The humor was there, Kat was beautiful (to me and to others... not you though I guess lol), but the cock I used for MC in the original was the ugliest thing ever. OMG! Whose dick ever looked like that?? The lighting was just bad. I had issues with weird reflections and no idea how to fix them because... noob! Then I learned about reflection probes and adjustments, graphics plugins and what those settings do. And I was able to go back and fix all that shit. And even added some simple animations in there on my own without Cryoxxx. Graphics aside, my biggest weakness (which I have admitted before) is the dialogue. My problem is that everything I write I erase and rewrite over and over because it all just sounds cheesy... no matter what I write. In fact, and some will probably get mad at me for saying this... but almost all Adult VN sex scenes sound cheesy to me LOL. So yeah... I am definitely guilty of just "getting to the good stuff" for the most part. With that said, I'll be sticking to that formula for the rest of Serenity. But, my next project (Last Human), I will be trying to do better with sex scenes. LH will be much better on all fronts right from the start, especially character development and plot building. But MC won't just be having sex with any girl he wants, and most girls are NOT going to just auto-magically want him. He's going to have to work at it, with the exception of two anyway (<< that could be considered spoiler material... maybe). It also won't have much sex at the start. Which brings me to another issue... A lot of devs (and I have seen this in early reviews of LOTS of these games) get hammered for not having enough sexy stuff in the first release. This is a horrible view of AVN's to begin with and this release system. People forget that these things are still in development and the story needs to 'flesh out'. Last Human will be more like this. But I can't NOT write in some occasional nude peeks or something... so it will still have some of that. But you won't be able to fuck Lexi the first time you meet her LOL.

It has been a year since I first started Serenity. I did come a very long way. Currently, I now have a better understanding of graphics... And I know exactly how I want to develop future projects. Serenity was my very first, so yes, it is far from perfect and probably never will be 'perfect'. I am happy that people do notice that I have improved here and there and I acknowledge and own the fact that I need to work on some things. And I do intend to come back and redo more scenes plus add more music filler. I have a lot of regrets with Serenity. But I love this story and I am invested (emotionally as well as financially). So I will finish it the best way I can, then move on to LH. Anyway, with all my rambling I've managed to kill a little over an hour. Might as well stay up, I have work in just 4 hours... So now I'll get some more rendering done for 1.1.

:)
...Fire

itfod

Apr 16, 2021
I woke up with heartburn at 2am and so now you guys get a book because I need to pass the time LOL...

Pretty much everything you said, I am aware of (if you went through this thread, you would see it all mentioned at some point). You're the first to mention Kat's appearance though. At my very beginnings, there was a lot of drama (in this thread) about her but not about her appearance.
Hi Fire,

Thanks for the response! Sorry, I must admit, I didn't read the earlier posts in thread; there's a lot to read, and I typically just go from where I am, rather than read backwards in threads on forums.

Thank you for being open to what I had to say; I was afraid I might offend or discourage you, but I really just wanted to share my thoughts and encourage you in your craft.

Please don't let my personal preferences (Kat's appearance) turn you off; she's certainly beautiful, just she doesn't impact me the same way Trina does, and the long, thin face type generally is just not to my taste is all.

The MC's return to his mother's funeral was well done, and it was a proper point of story development for me; sorry I didn't mention it, I was about to fall asleep when I wrote my thoughts above.

I can understand about the music choices actually; there are a few AVNs I've played with a single continual looping song, and no sound effects. I end up just turning off the sound too, so I get it. And well done on committing to using good music! Hat's off to you. I just consider that for some players, we do like playing with the inserted game music first... until we can't stand it and have to change it. :p

Writing and character development is a bit of an art, and I'm sorry, I'm probably a bit severe about it; I tutor English on the side, and the number of my students I have to drill about the art of writing and proper development probably makes me a poor critic when it comes to viewing other people's work.

I can understand the use of deus ex machina; it's an easy way to close off a chapter and shift to a new one. Saying that, it's one I try to avoid with my own writing, unless I really need a reset.

Like I said, I can see the effort you put into adding character development in retrospectively, and good character development is not easy. So, again I say, hat's off to you. It's nice to see you even trying to adjust it. :)

Sex scenes... well, that's an art I have no idea about, outside of enjoying them. You're right when you say a lot of them can be cheesy, but I suppose, it's kind of what can be expected sometimes. Referencing Cryoxxx, he's done some great scenes in his game, and there might be something you want to emulate in his style. Of your friends, Jestur actually does a really good job with his writing and sex scene dialogue as well, so might be something you'd like to try to copy too. As they say, fake it till you make it. Outside of animations, anyway, I'm sure that s**t is HARD.

But don't be too discouraged if people start bashing on your concept if there isn't early game sex with the next one. One of the games I personally really enjoy recently, is one called Murmur. Thus far, there is no actual penetrative intercourse, although there's definitely nudity and the occasional groping, it's more about the story. And yes, it can be a bit cheesy at times, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, thank you for the effort you've put into Serenity. It's a gem; perhaps a little flawed, a bit imperfect, but I see the actual effort you've put into it, and note the improvements that I can see, as a fresh gamer. I look forward to seeing how you opt to complete the game, and how you plan to construct your future projects. :)

Have a good day Fire, and I hope your heartburn wasn't too bad earlier.

• Red Heart
Reactions: N2TheFire

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

It is true the music is rather sparse (something I actually JUST responded to someone about here). I am extremely picky about my music choices and that shit isn't free... plus the selections get more difficult to find. When I play AVN's, I nearly always disable sound and play my own music. I found that a lot of people do that. So I wanted to make sure I chose good music and even went so far as to pay for properly licensed music before I was even generating enough income to cover the cost. So yes, the music is strategically placed for now. But I do plan to add more before the final (completed) game is released. I have a tendency to go back and redo/fix/add things in Serenity. The only song not licensed is the menu music, which is my own composition.

On my writing style... I'm no pro writer and will never claim that. But yes, I am fully aware of the story flow, especially early on. And as you noted, I've tried to address it. But addressing it has meant adding a lot of unplanned dialogue that I've had to write and come up with 'on the fly'. Serenity was written around 2 years ago. And during development, I have already had to abandon my original story after a certain point due to those changes. It seems I write at least a little better 'on the fly'. I just try to have fun with the story now. I find that I will write out my dialogue for a scene and as I go back and start rendering for it, I run across little opportunities to have something funny happen. For example... back when Camilla first came to Serenity island, there is a scene where Kat, Alena, Jasmine, and Trina are at the "safe house" (valentine room). When Jasmine tells Kat that she should be the one to take Trina to Mom's place in the void, Kat jumps up and her tail smacks Lena in the face - Lena makes some annoyed expressions. I don't know how many people notice these little things, but I throw in stuff like that every chance I get.

On the quick drama resolution... it was a creative choice to resolve those couple of early struggles quickly. Why? Because in my mind, I was writing a (mostly) happy story. But Serenity wasn't really meant to just be 'fucking'. It was a story based on the power of love feeding into a magical energy (the fade). There is one conflict I would rather completely get rid of now... the Cassie/Samantha meeting in the dungeon. I hate it so much. I have 3 alternate options already written now to replace it - if I ever find the time. That whole section is just lame compared to how it was originally written. It just doesn't look the same in a VN environment, and frankly, it just comes off stupid IMO. Also, it is in DIRE need of better graphics. I was still learning back then and I know now I can make it look a lot better. In my defense... I wanted to resolve it right then and I am SO GLAD I did because at the very least, it's less I have to go back and fix. The "Daddy" conflict will be MUCH different. Some will probably get pissed at me, and if they don't quit on me, they'll love me again as things flesh out LOL. After that drama about Kat when I started, I no longer let anything people say about Serenity bother me at all... I write what I want to write. But I won't be making anyone choose between saving one girl and letting another one burn... that was an awesome game but for me, that part was just a bit too harsh. I want to have conflicts that stir your emotions... draw tears or even make you laugh... I have no interest in shocking you. The thing Trixy did by forcing MC to dream about his Mom's funeral was meant to be a tear jerker... and from what many have told me, it did that well. But again... that scene didn't quite turn out the way I intended because that was straight out of my original story. At least I did better with that than with some other situations.

Character development... Again, this was already mentioned by quite a few people. And no one needed to tell me because I knew I was doing a bad job of developing characters' personalities; I own that. And that is exactly why there is a reflection of the past for Kat. People hated on her so much in the beginning. If I had done a better job writing her to begin with, and people knew that past, it probably would have been a non-issue (probably - I don't know... some people were just blatantly rude about it, even going so far as to send me ugly PMs - I almost quit before I got going; it brought me down so much).

Sex scenes... Fuck. Sex scenes. I almost hate writing them. And that may come as a shocker from a dev making an AVN. When I started this thing, I had NO idea how to animate. So that was a problem in itself. So I basically hired another dev (Cryoxxx) to make animations for me and to train me along the way. I went back and redid the shower scene with Kat. It was horrible. The humor was there, Kat was beautiful (to me and to others... not you though I guess lol), but the cock I used for MC in the original was the ugliest thing ever. OMG! Whose dick ever looked like that?? The lighting was just bad. I had issues with weird reflections and no idea how to fix them because... noob! Then I learned about reflection probes and adjustments, graphics plugins and what those settings do. And I was able to go back and fix all that shit. And even added some simple animations in there on my own without Cryoxxx. Graphics aside, my biggest weakness (which I have admitted before) is the dialogue. My problem is that everything I write I erase and rewrite over and over because it all just sounds cheesy... no matter what I write. In fact, and some will probably get mad at me for saying this... but almost all Adult VN sex scenes sound cheesy to me LOL. So yeah... I am definitely guilty of just "getting to the good stuff" for the most part. With that said, I'll be sticking to that formula for the rest of Serenity. But, my next project (Last Human), I will be trying to do better with sex scenes. LH will be much better on all fronts right from the start, especially character development and plot building. But MC won't just be having sex with any girl he wants, and most girls are NOT going to just auto-magically want him. He's going to have to work at it, with the exception of two anyway (<< that could be considered spoiler material... maybe). It also won't have much sex at the start. Which brings me to another issue... A lot of devs (and I have seen this in early reviews of LOTS of these games) get hammered for not having enough sexy stuff in the first release. This is a horrible view of AVN's to begin with and this release system. People forget that these things are still in development and the story needs to 'flesh out'. Last Human will be more like this. But I can't NOT write in some occasional nude peeks or something... so it will still have some of that. But you won't be able to fuck Lexi the first time you meet her LOL.

It has been a year since I first started Serenity. I did come a very long way. Currently, I now have a better understanding of graphics... And I know exactly how I want to develop future projects. Serenity was my very first, so yes, it is far from perfect and probably never will be 'perfect'. I am happy that people do notice that I have improved here and there and I acknowledge and own the fact that I need to work on some things. And I do intend to come back and redo more scenes plus add more music filler. I have a lot of regrets with Serenity. But I love this story and I am invested (emotionally as well as financially). So I will finish it the best way I can, then move on to LH. Anyway, with all my rambling I've managed to kill a little over an hour. Might as well stay up, I have work in just 4 hours... So now I'll get some more rendering done for 1.1.

...Fire
Always fascinating to read a Dev's thoughts on their work, thank you for the insight into your world.

just my 2 cents worth; I'm a Kat fan - Kat is, was, and (unless you reboot like some dev's) will be my fave. I try not to have a favorite in a harem game but to me she is and always has been beautiful. I love all the girls but Kat is the best. ;):love:

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Always fascinating to read a Dev's thoughts on their work, thank you for the insight into your world.

just my 2 cents worth; I'm a Kat fan - Kat is, was, and (unless you reboot like some dev's) will be my fave. I try not to have a favorite in a harem game but to me she is and always has been beautiful. I love all the girls but Kat is the best. ;):love:
I'm with you, i think Kat is great, but i guess diffferent people have different tastes

• Red Heart

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

Yay! More Kat fans, this makes me happy :) :) :)
Not planning any reboots... but if I did, I would use the same models because I spent a LOT of time on them.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020

...Fire
I, too, appreciate these insights into the developer's thoughts and motivations. It's one reason I track and support many projects.

Regarding the music, you said that music costs money. Additionally, music that doesn't cost has been already played in a number of AVNs. I remember the time I heard music I'd associated with Sunshine Love playing in another game. Very disconcerting the first time.

I'm especially paying attention when developers have something to share because I've gotten the bug--I am teaching myself DAZ3D and Ren'py in order to jump into the fray. When I read about your hatred of writing sex scenes, it made me think of talking to my adult daughter about my plans today, which made me wonder what kind of market there is for non-adult VNS. I'm mainly used to this community now, so I have no idea what the SFW developers do.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I, too, appreciate these insights into the developer's thoughts and motivations. It's one reason I track and support many projects.

Regarding the music, you said that music costs money. Additionally, music that doesn't cost has been already played in a number of AVNs. I remember the time I heard music I'd associated with Sunshine Love playing in another game. Very disconcerting the first time.

I'm especially paying attention when developers have something to share because I've gotten the bug--I am teaching myself DAZ3D and Ren'py in order to jump into the fray. When I read about your hatred of writing sex scenes, it made me think of talking to my adult daughter about my plans today, which made me wonder what kind of market there is for non-adult VNS. I'm mainly used to this community now, so I have no idea what the SFW developers do.
I actually thought about the same thing. But, if you're planning to 'make a living' doing this stuff, NSFW sells LOL. For me personally, I didn't start doing this because I wanted or needed to make the money. I started because I love the art. I have a full time job in IT already. But the plan is to eventually get away from that job so I have more time to work on my AVNs. This shit isn't easy to do, but its a lot of fun for sure and I love the community and people I've met.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I actually thought about the same thing. But, if you're planning to 'make a living' doing this stuff, NSFW sells LOL. For me personally, I didn't start doing this because I wanted or needed to make the money. I started because I love the art. I have a full time job in IT already. But the plan is to eventually get away from that job so I have more time to work on my AVNs. This shit isn't easy to do, but its a lot of fun for sure and I love the community and people I've met.
dude i wish i could make any type of game and be half as good as a few of you Dev's are ... at making these games ... but i'm old and not very upto date with tech. like you younger people are .. and by the way .. i absolutely love this game .... if i made a little more in retirement i'd be able to support a few of you dev's ( actually like 4 dev's is about all i would be able to afford ) :(
anyway only support i can give anyone at the moment is just playing game and giving my opinion on them ... sorry :(

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
.. and by the way .. i absolutely love this game ....
THIS is why I do this.
The money I make from this, mostly gets reinvested back into it and to support other devs I enjoy. Sure, someday I will retire from my IT job and this will become a source of income (maybe, if I keep improving). For now though, I am completely content with the number of patrons I have and comments like "i absolutely love this game".

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Yes, my first motivation was feeling that I have stories inside I want to tell.
On the other hand, if it does help me retire earlier, so much the better. If not, I'm still doing art!

I told my adult kids my plan. My daughter said "Ah, "pork" games, LOL." I reminded her that Angry Birds could be considered a pork game.

dude i wish i could make any type of game and be half as good as a few of you Dev's are ... at making these games ... but i'm old and not very upto date with tech. like you younger people are .. and by the way .. i absolutely love this game .... if i made a little more in retirement i'd be able to support a few of you dev's ( actually like 4 dev's is about all i would be able to afford ) :(
anyway only support i can give anyone at the moment is just playing game and giving my opinion on them ... sorry :(
Yup, I'm going to have to not dwell upon my feelings of intimidation. I'm just starting out, years behind our current standard. I hope I can catch up to the middle of the pack (or a little farther) without too much trouble. One thing is that much of what I'm going to write will be at least a little inspired by my own life (or people I know). Just kicked up a notch or two. ;)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ImperialD
Dec 27, 2019
I wanna cry cause I really like the art and I just found this game but it won't let me install it on my phone. I have 7 GB free space so that's not it, and I have done plenty of other games. I really wish my computer wasn't broken

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I wanna cry cause I really like the art and I just found this game but it won't let me install it on my phone. I have 7 GB free space so that's not it, and I have done plenty of other games. I really wish my computer wasn't broken
Can you give some more details... what is stopping it installing on your phone? Are you receiving any error messages? I haven't heard from any of my other android users having that issue. And specs for Serenity are definitely not any greater than other other games.

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
Latest devlog posted to all of my sites with news about the version 1.1 release and the hurricane that is approaching my area.
Hopefully you remain safe and outside of the worst of the storm. Last week a hurricane was expected to hit here, luckily it shifted and weakened. The way it hit we ended up with lower than expected winds and far less rainfall and never lost power here even though many areas around us did.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Damn, I think a big wind takes precedence over a silly porn game.

Stay safe.
The ONLY thing I can disagree with your statement is that it isn't a silly porn game - it is a wonderful porn game! :LOL: :LOL:

But I do agree on "safety first". I've been through hurricanes in that part of the country and still have family there. It's no fun.
(y)

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
The ONLY thing I can disagree with your statement is that it isn't a silly porn game - it is a wonderful porn game! :LOL: :LOL:

But I do agree on "safety first". I've been through hurricanes in that part of the country and still have family there. It's no fun.
(y)
Thanks everyone. We're just seeing the outer bands of the hurricane now. I live in a brick house and should be fine. My only concern is the giant old oak tree in my back yard. Hoping that thing doesn't fall although with the direction of the wind, if it did fall it might end up in my neighbor's back yard and not on our houses.
I am safe. I have a bunch of dogs (all husky/doberman mix lol) inside with me to keep them safe. We're just camping out in my dining area watching the news. Lights have flickered a few times but not gone out. But I'm pretty sure at some point we'll have no power. In that situation, I have my laptop, ipad, and my phone all fully charged and I have an inverter I can plug into my truck if I need to charge up anything. Thank you all for the kind words and concern! This is a great community :)

4.20 star(s) 40 Votes