4.20 star(s) 39 Votes

GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023
If you were the dev and wanted to add voices, and began that process, you would understand why I won't be doing that. Expensive. A lot longer between updates waiting for speech files to be completed by the voice actress (actresses). I'm one guy, I'm not one of those big studios with a team working on this that has the resources to do something like that. To be honest, I see it as a 'visual novel' that you 'read' anyway. Voices are nice (for some VN's) but I actually like reading them. Anyway, I'm already a long time between updates as it is.
and most of us have already made up how the characters sound

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
If you were the dev and wanted to add voices, and began that process, you would understand why I won't be doing that. Expensive. A lot longer between updates waiting for speech files to be completed by the voice actress (actresses). I'm one guy, I'm not one of those big studios with a team working on this that has the resources to do something like that. To be honest, I see it as a 'visual novel' that you 'read' anyway. Voices are nice (for some VN's) but I actually like reading them. Anyway, I'm already a long time between updates as it is.
You know what would make this written media form better! If I didn't have to read! :rolleyes:

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
I'm new to game making and now understand where you're coming from. I didn't know it costed. I thought you can download a program and add voices. Another Dev told me that you have to be careful also because of copyrights. Also, if you're really creating this game alone, kudos to you. You're doing a really good job. I enjoy every bit of it.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
You know what would make this written media form better! If I didn't have to read! :rolleyes:
Hell, I wish I could afford to add voices, and had the extra help to handle that part. I would need to have a lot more subs though to get to that point. But it would be pretty cool to put voices to the girls.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I'm new to game making and now understand where you're coming from. I didn't know it costed. I thought you can download a program and add voices. Another Dev told me that you have to be careful also because of copyrights. Also, if you're really creating this game alone, kudos to you. You're doing a really good job. I enjoy every bit of it.
Yeah, it's quite expensive. The little money I make from those kind enough to subscribe on Patreon or SubscribeStar goes back into the work by paying modders for content/assets, music licensing (which is a hassle in itself), plus licensing for a few applications I use for video and sound editing. Voice actresses aren't cheap, and for good reason.
Thanks for the kind words, so glad you enjoy the game :)

formasual

Jan 17, 2019
I think I've only played one game with voices that the voices were very good. If they are not done extremely well to me its better without. Every time something is said that doesn't sound good or like it doesn't fit well it breaks immersion. So I'd rather not deal with it at all. Its a huge expense that to me usually doesn't seem worth it. But other sounds can work well, like gasps, panting, heavy breathing, giggling... that sort of thing.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I think I did, but I usually play on my phone and it's always muted unless I feel like pairing headphones.
I usually also mute all sound when I play an AVN. When I started doing this, at first I didn't have any sound at all except for the menu music (which was a track of my own btw). But then I felt like if I used the right music, it would make it a bit better. I spent a long time searching and listening to songs. I've heard some horrendous music from the sources where most AVN devs get music from. It takes me quite a while to choose music. And sometimes, I'll hear something new that is really good and I have written scenes to go with that music.

Someone once told me "just have some soft piano music playing in the background or something". I tried that and I muted my own game. I prefer music that fits a scene or situation. Sad, happy, scary, etc... Even if there is no music between some situations. Not tooting my own horn here, but I like the music in Serenity and Last Human and even in my test play-through's, I always have it on so that I get the full effect while I am making sure the dialog works along with the images.

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
I prefer music that fits a scene or situation. Sad, happy, scary, etc... Even if there is no music between some situations. Not tooting my own horn here, but I like the music in Serenity and Last Human and even in my test play-through's, I always have it on so that I get the full effect while I am making sure the dialog works along with the images.
I tend to agree - your mucic selection is well selected for the scene it is in!

Some I even use on my personal "chill" playlist.
outofdarkness.mp3, peacefuldefiance.mp3, sacredground.mp3, secretplace.mp3, etc.
Where did you find them, btw?

Cheers

• Red Heart
Reactions: N2TheFire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I tend to agree - your mucic selection is well selected for the scene it is in!

Some I even use on my personal "chill" playlist.
outofdarkness.mp3, peacefuldefiance.mp3, sacredground.mp3, secretplace.mp3, etc.
Where did you find them, btw?

Cheers
Various places, but mostly from Soundstripe

• Red Heart
Reactions: Twistty

f45450

Oct 21, 2021
Hell, I wish I could afford to add voices, and had the extra help to handle that part. I would need to have a lot more subs though to get to that point. But it would be pretty cool to put voices to the girls.
In theory, you could use TTS engines like voiceroid 2 but I doubt it would be exactly "lifelike". I think I saw some game where dev used "virtual gf" app replika ai for voicing.

If anyone interested, and does not fear an ear-rape you can get a TTS taste by desktop renpy "self voicing" feature, V key; it uses OS' TTS so every char is voiced same. You could change voice in "config.py" to a female one (not sure, I'm a Wind-boy, every OS has its own set), e.g.
config.tts_voice = "Zira"

Last edited:

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I've noticed some even get accents as i'm reading, not sure why it just happens. :unsure::LOL:
There is something about reading an AVN (no voices), just the music that goes with it (if the right music is chosen). Even if it is acted very well, I prefer a visual novel to remain a visual novel. When you start adding voices, it is no longer a visual novel but more of a movie. What if you don't like the voices chosen or the voice actor/actress is bad? At least with no voices, you can let that part build along with the fantasy that it is supposed to be. No voices for my projects. ;)

4.20 star(s) 39 Votes