3.70 star(s) 72 Votes

Zed | Love-Joint

Love-Joint Team
Game Developer
Dec 18, 2018
I wonder how is steam realese going. Was there any news about it?
From our release post:

We’ve been promising some news on the Steam release of Shale Hill Secrets for a couple of months, but unfortunately this planned project has suffered some unexpected delays, including things outside of our reach. This is our first time exploring Steam, so we are taking the time now to make sure we’re doing everything correctly.

Right now, we are still exploring ways to solve these issues so that we can finally publish a solid and perfect version of Shale Hill Secrets on the Steam platform. Originally, we planned to make available these five episodes on Steam first, but we don’t currently have a timeframe of when this will be resolved - meaning we have made the decision to release these episodes for free in the meantime through .

Once we have a clearer picture of this release, we will update all of you here and explain a little more what we have planned.

Nimniz

Jan 8, 2020
So, what's with the new character art style? It's a serious downgrade from DFD and DH. The faces lack detail, and character. They are way more cliche, or generic. Meaning, they are more like charictures than believable characters. I'm only like 10 minutes into the story, and it's such an off-putting contrast to the previous two games, I don't know if I can continue.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
For the first time in far too long, I have bought a new computer. All my games were on an external drive so that has not been an issue. I just installed the latest version of SHS and even though I copied the "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Shale_Hill_Secrets" directory where the saves supposedly are ( and there are files there) I get no saves to load when I open the game. Did I miss something? Since this game is non-Ren'Py I'm lost on this kind of thing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks

Ricky | Love-Joint

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
For the first time in far too long, I have bought a new computer. All my games were on an external drive so that has not been an issue. I just installed the latest version of SHS and even though I copied the "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Shale_Hill_Secrets" directory where the saves supposedly are ( and there are files there) I get no saves to load when I open the game. Did I miss something? Since this game is non-Ren'Py I'm lost on this kind of thing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks
Post a screenshot showing how your save directory looks like and I should be able to point out if you did something wrong.
What I can imagine is that the structure directory is not correct.

Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Post a screenshot showing how your save directory looks like and I should be able to point out if you did something wrong.
What I can imagine is that the structure directory is not correct.
Is this the info you mean?
SHSPath.png

I just copied it from one computer to the other. Let me know if this isn't it, or if it's wrong

Thanks!!!!

Ricky | Love-Joint

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Is this the info you mean?
View attachment 1863066

I just copied it from one computer to the other. Let me know if this isn't it, or if it's wrong

Thanks!!!!
Weird, it seems correct... The only issue I can imagine now is that you moved the data into the wrong user name (in case there exists more than one)? Are you using the "Saves Location" shortcut available in the game's root directory?

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Weird, it seems correct... The only issue I can imagine now is that you moved the data into the wrong user name (in case there exists more than one)? Are you using the "Saves Location" shortcut available in the game's root directory?
That may be it. The user name is different on the two computers. I'll try making a user directory with the old name.
(y)

Ricky | Love-Joint

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Nope, I was wrong, they are named the same. Path is the same on both computers :unsure:
:unsure: Are you using the "Saves Location" shortcut available in the game's root directory?
I mean, you certainly did/are doing something wrong, but I can't spot what it is given the information I have.
The game's data is certainly transferable. I get people asking about it all the time on Discord when changing computers and it always work.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
:unsure: Are you using the "Saves Location" shortcut available in the game's root directory?
I mean, you certainly did/are doing something wrong, but I can't spot what it is given the information I have.
The game's data is certainly transferable. I get people asking about it all the time on Discord when changing computers and it always work.
Yeah, I used the link. That's the only way I knew where to find it :LOL:.
I'm going to try a fresh install of the game and transfer of the save data. "When in doubt, reboot"

Edit: for some reason that worked. It's all good. Absolutely no idea why that worked, but it did so that's all I care about. (y)

Reactions: Ricky | Love-Joint

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
dumb question but why windows account username would matter?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well if ms will force users to use ms account to login into win 11 then win 10 players who use local accounts will be screwed when they update to win 11. unless devs find workaround and if same applies to dfd and dh then oh boy (it isn't exactly fast to replay those).

Ricky | Love-Joint

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
well if ms will force users to use ms account to login into win 11 then win 10 players who use local accounts will be screwed when they update to win 11. unless devs find workaround and if same applies to dfd and dh then oh boy (it isn't exactly fast to replay those).
This isn't developer's fault, though. Most professional engines save into Appdata because that's fricking Microsoft guidelines since Windows Vista. Apps/games are supposed to be "sandboxed" for security reasons so they don't have random writing access to any directory of the system and also because in theory each user in the computer can have their own save for the app/game. Writing data directly to the game's directory may be a can of worms.

3.70 star(s) 72 Votes