3.00 star(s) 30 Votes

Tanwise

Aug 29, 2017
I'm using the latest version of the game, I've gone through the walk through and the Diary, done the kitchen scene and have had the MC driving down all of her stats. While also sitting on the couch when ever she is cleaning, going on the third week now and she never comes to clean the fruit. I've also had the MC working in the shop constantly when she's at school. So unless, there is a specific level her stats need to be at, I don't know what else I'm missing.

Sorry about the tone, but done repetitive tasks in game more than a few times, with no progress is frustrating.

Watch TV while Sarah's cleaning. Also, make sure to lift her skirt.

HeavyEavy

Feb 8, 2018
@Tanwise What version of the walk-through are you using? Version 8 has most of the stat requirements needed. I think your current problem is all of her stats are down, if she isn't in the mood then she isn't aroused enough. Here's a copy of the latest walk-through.

albul

Jun 8, 2017
@Tanwise What version of the walk-through are you using? Version 8 has most of the stat requirements needed. I think your current problem is all of her stats are down, if she isn't in the mood then she isn't aroused enough. Here's a copy of the latest walk-through.
I may be blind and missed it, but the love route is missing from the walkthrough. Or isn't the love route an option anymore?

Tanwise

Aug 29, 2017
I don't know what type of games you're use to playing, but for me and many of the other who are complaining...keep in mind that I'm saying this about the current version not an earlier version. But in the past two weeks in reality (not in-game weeks), I've played this game three times, each time spending about 2-5 hours (today 5 hours) simply trying to figure out how to get the game to progress.

The major issues I have with it and I can only assume others who also "complain" probably have similar issues. Is that
1. The game is not organic what-so-ever. - Meaning the game play has no natural feel to it, it's overly cumbersome, everything has to be done just perfectly in order to progress.
2. Following up on that - In order to progress the stats have to be just perfectly exact, with very little room for error. That is not organic.
3. The Diary and all the dialogue in the game and the few walk throughs I've found are extremely vague, the only way I've been able to figure out what stats are needed to progress and everything such as that, was to search this forum, for everything...that shouldn't be necessary just to figure out even the basic progression of the game.
4. Even after all of that, the only way I've finally been able to get the game to progress is by using a website that allows users to modify game save files in order to edit the in game stats. Because, I've been one digit off on a stat and nothing would happen in game. After modifying the stats to the exact stats found in the forum and then putting the save file back into the game file. Then finally the game progressed.

I know some of those in this thread see the game as a easy, but for others the frustrations in this game just take away the fun of playing.

People seem to have up the 'too grindy' complaints recently. I'm going to do a full patron past about this soon but I thought I'd say a few things here before I have to start getting ready for work.

The complaints all say 'too grindy' but I think what they really mean is that the grind is too mundane, too boring. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think many were saying BB was incredibly grindy, but to progress you had to re-watch sex scenes a bunch of times, so many times that they become boring, even the really great ones, imo. Whereas with ShF you have to compliment Sarah or whatever. I'm not saying it's not grindy btw. In 0.07 comes the school and the randomness of homework (by far the best way to improve Sarah's confidence) is no longer random unless you want it to be. In future I'll add nightly molestation. This will mean that improving Sarah's lust is far easier and more fun. Other additions will come to help improve her happiness too.

The point is, the grind people are complaining about it a complaint about lack of non-scene content. There are balance tweaks I need to do and revisions to things like the diary to aid progression, but the main issue, imo, is that the grind hasn't enough variety and is potentially too long. Just complimenting Sarah over and over is boring, I get that.

Final point, if you're complaining about the cafe job being grindy, look outside. You go wait tables all day and do prep work, then tell me work isn't grindy. I wish I could select cup-cake colours all day. It's not difficult, it's simple and it doesn't take too long. I'm happy with it - besides from the lack of customers of course.

Thanks to anyone who read this and please reply with your opinion. I always look to improve ShF and I can't do that unless I know what people want.

HeavyEavy

Feb 8, 2018
I may be blind and missed it, but the love route is missing from the walkthrough. Or isn't the love route an option anymore?
From the walk-through
Code:
First you need to decide what path you want to take(currently only 3 exist) fuck buddy, slave, and pet

albul

Jun 8, 2017
From the walk-through
Code:
First you need to decide what path you want to take(currently only 3 exist) fuck buddy, slave, and pet
Oh sorry, it's been a while since i've played this, and the OP only says 'There are six paths: lust, love, protection, neutral (not currently implemented), obedience and submission.' So i assumed love is be implemented. Well, i guess there is not point in playing this again now.

HeavyEavy

Feb 8, 2018
Oh sorry, it's been a while since i've played this, and the OP only says 'There are six paths: lust, love, protection, neutral (not currently implemented), obedience and submission.' So i assumed love is be implemented. Well, i guess there is not point in playing this again now.
No worries, it's changed a TON since the OP, and for the better imho. And it's going to change yet again, He's going to make some changes based on peoples questions/complaints, and hopefully start adding some new content :)

Reactions: Ellaraia

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
@Tanwise @albul
The next version will be out in two days. Said version has a completely new progression system and the paths are gone. There's new scenes, fun stuff, outfits and interactions.
0.09 onward won't have need for a walkthrough at all. I'll still create a guide but it'll be more about specific values and min-maxing. Accessing scenes will be far more straight-forward than it is now.

I've also written lots more story than was present before. There is a backstory written for the Girlfriend/Pet affinity (small deviations between the two) and another backstory for the long-awaited sister mod. You can change freely between affinities (Girlfriend/Pet/Sister) so you're not locked out of any content in your playthrough. The story isn't something you have to pay attention too. If you're interested in how you got to where you are now, then you can talk with Sarah and you'll learn. If you don't, then skip through it or don't talk to her, though that would be mean.

I'll be releasing two versions. 0.09 will have all the changes and half of the new content. It will be posted here and free for everyone. 0.10 will have an extra outfit and multiple scenes and can only be found on my patreon.

HeavyEavy

Feb 8, 2018
@Tanwise I've played all kinds of games, in fact I'm positive I've been playing them longer than you have been alive. I remember when I was in high school "me and me best mates" pooled our money and purchased the "first video game ever" and put it in his dads pub, it was called Pong(wish I still had it).

I don't really understand why some people can't figure this game out, the Diary did tell you what you needed to look at, it said:
"maybe she isn't in the mood",
Well, she only has 2 "moods" that can be manipulated, Happiness, and Lust, both need to be up there(a minimum of 50 lust, 70 happiness). This is the Exact issue that MOST players that complain have a problem with, and I quite honestly am very puzzled by it. I can only think that it should have said the exact stats needed, but then what's the point of telling you the exact solution? At which point is it no longer a game and just; follow directions to see the pictures... If that's the case you should just learn how to rip the cg's, it's pretty simple.

When I play a game for the first time, I spend some time figuring out the game mechanics. In this case: What stats get changed by what action/s, then just applied them to what I want her to do. Admittedly I have played this since the OP(and no I didn't start reading the code until v.6), so I've seen it change and imo it's just been refined and made better with each release.

Maybe this exact style of game isn't for you, maybe you would prefer something like (Slave Lords of the Galaxy), it's a pretty straight forward "Trainer" game, I actually love this game and still play it (just last night as a matter of fact). Give it a try! It's a game you can't really lose(the game will send you back with a skip option if you do screw up), if you play the AIO(All In One), then you have 3 girls, and each can have 1 of 3 character traits based on how you train them. It will also introduce how you need to manage/balance more than just one stat to complete one of the final traits.
Anyway I hope you try the next version since he will be making some changes and he's added some content!

HeavyEavy

Feb 8, 2018
@Ellaraia Sweet! I for one am really looking forward to this release! It's quickly becoming a game to move into my "Old Favorites" folder! You done a Great job and Thanks for all your hard work!

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
@Ellaraia Sweet! I for one am really looking forward to this release! It's quickly becoming a game to move into my "Old Favorites" folder! You done a Great job and Thanks for all your hard work!
I may soon reach the point where the file size is too large. The new clothing really impacts this. Many scenes don't include clothing, so they're fine, but every image that does needs to have multiple for different outfits. The new coding makes it so that it should be easier to create updates that upgrade the previous version. I may also have to create a 'slim' version where you can have all the outfits for general images, but the scenes are only in one set clothing.

I don't actually think the new outfits add much to the scenes themselves but they really help the general gameplay as you get a fresh new set of images when you change Sarah's outfit. Where possible, I made the general images sexier than before and changing the outfit will have an entire new image in most cases, rather than just a different outfit. Therefore the change isn't just superficial.

I've not compiled 0.10 yet, and I don't expect the file size to be an issue this update, but it will be soon. Also, there are a few old scenes that are only in 1 outfit. This is because of how long some of the new renders have taken. I'll look to update these scenes with new outfits over the next month, but for now it'll be a little immersion-breaking.

One unfortunate thing is that you can't combine the pet and sister affinities. That would've been really cool, but making the sister mod work on top of the other affinities would be so much work, especially when I add servant and slave back. I tried to make the affinities all very different from each other. Girlfriend is the standard one, it's nothing special but that's the point. I tried to make Sarah really cute and up for it in the pet affinity. She says Yay! and Yes! a lot. With the sister affinity, I tired to tow the line between reminding the player that they're fucking their sister, but also not just using the words brother and sister in alternating lines. You can also change what you call each other in the sister affinity. It's Sis and Brother as standard but you can change it. This won't affect things like 'You put your dick in your sister.', only what you call each other.

Reactions: HathgarNiche

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
@HeavyEavy: I'm younger than you, but still old enough to remember different times when I spent days with from today's perspective primitive games. Discovering secrets in text-only games was great fun. First "adult" games with graphics, where the hot content was about ten hand-drawn softcore images in whole game, were great too. But great back then. Times change, there's much more to choose from and everything is moving faster.

It could be just me (probably not), but I'm not that much interested in gaming aspect in adult games. I like the challenge, but it works best with other kinds of games (shooters, strategies, ...) where failing few times makes you try harder and finally nail it. And it's fine, because replayability is good. But most adult games simply don't have it. They're fun when you play for the first time and discover what's there. If there's possibility of hard failure and you need to replay significant part again, it's usually not fun anymore. That's also the reason why I hate when authors break saves between versions (unless it's unavoidable like with next SHF). And same goes for searching for some very specific conditions to move forward, if gets annoying fast.

Just ripping CG is no way to go. Again, most adult games don't have visuals that would stand out by themselves. Even when some characters look great (like Sarah here, she's lovely), it's just few images and with nothing more to them, it's kind of boring. I have internet, thousands and thousands of images are just few clicks away. It's the story that glues them together and moves the whole thing to completely different level. Granted, "story" is a stretch in many cases, but even a little makes huge difference.

In short, good game should have some challenge, because it brings the nice sense of achievement, but it also should be intuitive, because getting stuck is no fun.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
@HeavyEavy: I'm younger than you, but still old enough to remember different times when I spent days with from today's perspective primitive games. Discovering secrets in text-only games was great fun. First "adult" games with graphics, where the hot content was about ten hand-drawn softcore images in whole game, were great too. But great back then. Times change, there's much more to choose from and everything is moving faster.

It could be just me (probably not), but I'm not that much interested in gaming aspect in adult games. I like the challenge, but it works best with other kinds of games (shooters, strategies, ...) where failing few times makes you try harder and finally nail it. And it's fine, because replayability is good. But most adult games simply don't have it. They're fun when you play for the first time and discover what's there. If there's possibility of hard failure and you need to replay significant part again, it's usually not fun anymore. That's also the reason why I hate when authors break saves between versions (unless it's unavoidable like with next SHF). And same goes for searching for some very specific conditions to move forward, if gets annoying fast.

Just ripping CG is no way to go. Again, most adult games don't have visuals that would stand out by themselves. Even when some characters look great (like Sarah here, she's lovely), it's just few images and with nothing more to them, it's kind of boring. I have internet, thousands and thousands of images are just few clicks away. It's the story that glues them together and moves the whole thing to completely different level. Granted, "story" is a stretch in many cases, but even a little makes huge difference.

In short, good game should have some challenge, because it brings the nice sense of achievement, but it also should be intuitive, because getting stuck is no fun.
The difficulty is finding a way to make it challenging but not boring. The largest issue is the vast variance in players. Everyone wants something different. Some people speak different languages so you have to be really clear, but then it's too obvious and thus boring.

What even is challenge? Is it based on how long it takes? How much you had to think? How many times you failed? I'm trying to balance 0.09/0.10 well, but it's hard by myself because I don't know how everyone will play it and what they'll try. I'm not having other's test it because I really don't want it leaked before I'm happy with it.

I feel like a good solution to challenge, is secrets. If you know that a scene exists, but it's not obvious how to find it, then when you do find it, it should feel more rewarding. If this is the case for every scene, then you have an issue. It should only be a few special scenes. If it's easy for you to find a scene, but hard for you to find every scene, then more players get what they want.

That's my opinion anyway, we'll see how much people enjoy it in a few days.

HathgarNiche

Jul 14, 2017
The days.
Making side secrets and stuff is a good way to make challenges!

As for renders taking ages and large file size because constumes (i love me some more outfits! Fashion souls for the win! ), mabye consider looking at moving the game to an engine that will run in real time like the game The Twist? Before getting too far ahead with the current one. Then you could have as many costumes as you want, and they would be available for all scenes too.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Making side secrets and stuff is a good way to make challenges!

As for renders taking ages and large file size because constumes (i love me some more outfits! Fashion souls for the win! ), mabye consider looking at moving the game to an engine that will run in real time like the game The Twist? Before getting too far ahead with the current one. Then you could have as many costumes as you want, and they would be available for all scenes too.
Ren'Py's perfect. I'm not going anywhere else.

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
@Ellaraia i become a crash when i´m in the libary and click on study.The crash comes with your new public version 0.09.0. I have attach the traceback file

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
One bug in 0.09, first day in library, there's promising "As you survey the offerings, you are beset upon by a nice, little surprise." immediately followed by:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ok, it's kind of funny with that intro, but I'd say it's probably real bug. :)

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
@Ellaraia i become a crash when i´m in the libary and click on study.The crash comes with your new public version 0.09.0. I have attach the traceback file
One bug in 0.09, first day in library, there's promising "As you survey the offerings, you are beset upon by a nice, little surprise." immediately followed by:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ok, it's kind of funny with that intro, but I'd say it's probably real bug. :)
That's annoying. I'll fix it now. Thanks for telling me.

Reactions: Ti'elby Mercedes
3.00 star(s) 30 Votes