fromabove

Jul 2, 2020
Threads like this make me feel bad for new devs. Imagine being new and inexperienced, working on a VN for months, posting it here and offering it for free, only to be shredded to pieces by people who don't know how to offer criticism, some of whom didn't even play the game.

Anyway, as someone who would love to play a VN that utilizes the Sin City aesthetic, my piece of advice for the dev is: make clever and limited usage of light sources. Just like all the film noir movies that Frank Miller drew inspiration from, Sin City's scenes take place mostly during nighttime, and there are dominant, hard shadows on almost every frame. You will have to try to mimic that aesthetic while working on your renders. Just turning a regular render with ambient lighting into grayscale and coloring the eyes back in, is not good enough.

Nightless

Jan 13, 2018
Wow looks great and I can honestly not say which I like better BW or colour. But BW would be something not many games have and the models still look awesome. Can't wait for more. And please just ignore haters they mostly just like to feel important.

Reactions: WaltS and Grelk

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Threads like this make me feel bad for new devs. Imagine being new and inexperienced, working on a VN for months, posting it here and offering it for free, only to be shredded to pieces by people who don't know how to offer criticism, some of whom didn't even play the game.
I get what you are saying but you also should consider that the Dev is part of this site/community for almost 2 years so he should know a thing or two about what mistakes he should avoid when making a game.

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
As I have previously written to new devs, here's the advice I'd offer:

"Ars Gratia Artis"

You have a vision, create your vision. You will never please everyone, so don't bother trying. That's not to say you shouldn't listen to well-reasoned criticism, but at the same time turn your back on whining peeps which this site has in the thousands.

Storyboard your story. Plan it completely and write it beginning to end. Know where you're going and don't deviate unless a very compelling reason comes to mind. The most important factor in these games is the writing and most devs are mediocre at best. Work hard on writing a good story and don't be afraid to ask for help.

If English isn't your native language, find someone that can edit your work. For example, you use the term "device" in your OP which is the wrong word given the context. Little things matter.

In regard to sandboxing: the huge majority of sandbox games are bad because the devs are either lazy in their programming or they're not talented in that department. They don't know how to tie in multiple streams in a coherent fashion. Unless you're very good at python, I'd recommend concentrating on the story.

Under promise and over deliver. In other words, don't let it be known that you'll provide monthly updates only to produce something every two or three months. It's better to state you'll have updates every three months and deliver an update in two. Again, don't listen to the whiners about quick updates. Pushing an update which lasts 10 minutes of game time is irritating in my opinion. I'd rather have two or three per year and play for an hour or two.

Have a thick skin...

TiffanyMonroe

Forum Fanatic
May 29, 2018

Anyway, as someone who would love to play a VN that utilizes the Sin City aesthetic, my piece of advice for the dev is: make clever and limited usage of light sources. Just like all the film noir movies that Frank Miller drew inspiration from, Sin City's scenes take place mostly during nighttime, and there are dominant, hard shadows on almost every frame. You will have to try to mimic that aesthetic while working on your renders. Just turning a regular render with ambient lighting into grayscale and coloring the eyes back in, is not good enough.
I was about to disagree with you but then I saw your advice sig and now can't help but agree with everything you said. :KEK:

• Haha
Reactions: fromabove

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
As I have previously written to new devs, here's the advice I'd offer:

"Ars Gratia Artis"

In regard to sandboxing: the huge majority of sandbox games are bad because the devs are either lazy in their programming or they're not talented in that department. They don't know how to tie in multiple streams in a coherent fashion. Unless you're very good at python, I'd recommend concentrating on the story.

Have a thick skin...
To elaborate a bit on your points, with which I agree, sandboxes generally require either an extensive hint system or a very good mod (or both) so that the player isn't continually stuck some place with no idea how to proceed. I also find that often when the dev's writing skills are weak they offer a sandbox environment instead of a good narrative. Many dev's do not appreciate how much grind they've introduced into their sandbox game.

While I generally avoid sandbox games like the plague, there are a handful of exceptions here that are truly excellent. In every case the dev(s) have excellent programming skills, a great story, and really balance grind with progress. The dev(s) are also highly experienced.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
In my opinion, every succesful sandbox game would have been equally or more succesful as a VN

Sandbox adds nothing in this kind of games, you dont play this game for playability. And those sandbox games that succeed do because they have a great, engaging story, they succeed despite being sandbox, not because of it

hobobobb

Jul 25, 2017
Very nice graphically!

Question for the Dev.

Future Tags are listed as:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Is the plan to make any or all of these avoidable?
(As in 'it doesn't happen, player prevents it from happening', and not as in 'you choose not to see it, but it still happens regardless')

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Asking for a friend :sneaky:

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
It has already been said here, but I think the same. There are some "controversial" tags planned. So, in a way, it gives me a slight impression of the course the game will take. Knowing the genre that the comics and film adaptations of Sin City have.

More specifically I have a question. Among the planned tags we have harem. I suppose that the issue of blackmail, prostitution, sharing, swinging, etc. will be totally optional / avoidable if we decide to go the way of the harem.

We also have the corruption tag. Which leads me to wonder, will we have the option of having actual romances? Where we really care about girls and not only see them as fuck toys or similar things. Precisely, avoiding the tags I mentioned.

As a personal taste, I think that a dark, raw and realistic plot like Sin City is always well accompanied by good romances. Although, Sin City is not characterized by having wholesome romances either. A very clear example of this is the game Depraved Awakening. I think it is the best game of its kind and can serve as an example. I don't want to or try to compare at all, but it combines both themes very well. Mafias, violence and corruption with romances. And even more, Depraved Awakening has in my opinion the best love interest who is dedicated to prostitution: Carli. She is definitely a badass girl.

A general idea of what I mean:

"While the hero tries to discover who were responsible for the death of his father and faces the challenges and dangers that come with entering a world full of violence, his closest friends try to keep him from losing his mind and perhaps, along the way, he realizes that one of the things that keeps him sane is closer than he thinks: the love of his loved ones."

But well, this is what I think. Knowing that there are several optional fetishes, I think I will take a look at the game. The black and white stuff is very interesting.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
In my opinion, every succesful sandbox game would have been equally or more succesful as a VN

Sandbox adds nothing in this kind of games, you dont play this game for playability. And those sandbox games that succeed do because they have a great, engaging story, they succeed despite being sandbox, not because of it
Said far more succinctly than I, and I completely agree.

Larzeranna

Jul 5, 2020

Imagine not understanding the zeitgeist before posting your new creation to a forum. Sorry, but if the comments are bothering the dev then that's unfortunate - but it's par for the course here on f95 and should've been expected.

Where's the text skip? No sexual content in a demo is a huge foul as well.

Last edited:

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
Ok... so I have played the B&W and Colour versions. I personally prefer the colour one. The B&W is definitely different and would offer some unique moments, but for me personally, I would find it tough to continue on with just the B&W and I understand doing both would be too time consuming.
There are a few editing errors - wrong person speaking or when it should be thought vs spoken, but those can be cleaned up with a few read throughs.
I like the idea so far, and think I could keep an eye on this. Personally glad that Sandbox is out... however, I will say this. There is a way to do Sandbox type things where for certain moments you have a 'free roam' portion where the player decides which room to go into or something like that and when going to the next part of the story put something like 'this will end free roam do you wish to continue'. However, sandbox is as divisive as most things on here.
As for planned tags... for me as long as there is no NTR and some of the more 'out there' kinks are avoidable, I am all good. So good luck going forward.

To all the people STILL saying that no sexual content in a demo is bad... then move on without comment, because there is plenty fap material for you elsewhere. Sometimes a story needs to be told and if it's a good story, then lewd scenes can be spaced out a bit more. Just my own personal opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this comment are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those affiliated with this thread.

3.20 star(s) 19 Votes