TheCrimsonRevenger

Jul 13, 2017
So i'm a few updates behind and just got to the cameo from the two girls in the jewelery shop. I saw some comments saying they're a cameo from another game. One i'll get to eventually, but in the meantime can somebody give me the cribnotes version?

Who are they? Why should I care? Let the spoilers(appropriately tagged of course) fly.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
So i'm a few updates behind and just got to the cameo from the two girls in the jewelery shop. I saw some comments saying they're a cameo from another game. One i'll get to eventually, but in the meantime can somebody give me the cribnotes version?

Who are they? Why should I care? Let the spoilers(appropriately tagged of course) fly.
Chasing Sunsets. No reason to care no...meaningless cameo there for the sake of it.

Reactions: hawk784563

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023

Jaye and Mallory from Chasing Sunsets. It's a pretty good VN and has some great side characters.

It is that scene that introduced me to that VN. It's pretty far along, so it would be a good one to grab when you don't have a big queue ahead of you, or you want some sustained play for a while. Lots of path variants to take. And, since you'd be joining it after the RenPy change (unlike me) you're playthrough from the beginning and grabbing all of the paths you want won't be a repeat of nearly 30 hours of prior play. :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Elhemeer

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
Incidentally, it's not that unusual for VN authors to make small tributes to each other. It happened with Ripples and Once in a Lifetime, among others, and Eternum was at least mentioned in one of NiiChan's projects.

To get back on topic. Where do you think Trevor has been for the last 10 years?

Left because he was driven away by Shannon?
In prison?
On the run from the law for the last 10 years, guilty or not, and he couldn't be prosecuted for it now?

And most importantly, do you think he brought offspring into the world somewhere and then abandoned them, leaving them similarly emotionally damaged as Lilly? (Yes I have quite an aversion to people like that)

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Incidentally, it's not that unusual for VN authors to make small tributes to each other. It happened with Ripples and Once in a Lifetime, among others, and Eternum was at least mentioned in one of NiiChan's projects.

To get back on topic. Where do you think Trevor has been for the last 10 years?

Left because he was driven away by Shannon?
In prison?
On the run from the law for the last 10 years, guilty or not, and he couldn't be prosecuted for it now?

And most importantly, do you think he brought offspring into the world somewhere and then abandoned them, leaving them similarly emotionally damaged as Lilly? (Yes I have quite an aversion to people like that)
I would imagine he has just been bumming around living his life etc...not really caring about his past too much. I don't think it will be anything crazy...not that type of story. Characters like that in the real worl exist...they don't usually go far but just live a carefree life wiothout caring about consequences etc. I'm sure he about somewhere, though not sure he will crop up in the story anytime soon, if ever.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I would imagine he has just been bumming around living his life etc...not really caring about his past too much. I don't think it will be anything crazy...not that type of story. Characters like that in the real worl exist...they don't usually go far but just live a carefree life wiothout caring about consequences etc. I'm sure he about somewhere, though not sure he will crop up in the story anytime soon, if ever.
Well, I wouldn't put it past Shannon to use Trevor as a means of manipulation (even if it's just to make Lilly uncomfortable) when she finds out that Lilly suddenly no longer has her hostile attitude towards Frank.

True, it has been argued before by others, correctly, that if she was planning this, she would have brought Trevor into the picture earlier. However, I think the following things that have probably already been counter-argued by others, but be that as it may:

Did she have a reason beforehand? She never would have had a reason before because she thought she had her daughters "under control". Besides, she hasn't known for very long that they've both moved out and, above all, she doesn't know that Lilly's opinion of Frank has done a 180 degree turn. So I wouldn't put it past her to try and manipulate Lilly emotionally by saying "when you come back you can see your father more often and we can be a family again" or some such nonsense.

Yes, I know. That doesn't sound much like Shannon, but she has a lawyer with few scruples who would put words like that in her mouth (yes, I had to hold back a joke) for good money.

Will there be any legal shenanigans? Doubtful, but Shannon has proven that she is not necessarily the most intelligent person, manipulative and spiteful, but not necessarily smart. Plus a lawyer of dubious integrity who will just want to milk Shannon.

To Trevor, to whom I hope he hasn't spread his seed in the last 10 years, I wonder why Shannon got involved with him again, she's worse and more vindictive than 50 dragons-in-law, and the only explanation is that at that moment her resentment towards Frank (and the late Jessica) was greater than her resentment towards Trevor.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Well, I wouldn't put it past Shannon to use Trevor as a means of manipulation (even if it's just to make Lilly uncomfortable) when she finds out that Lilly suddenly no longer has her hostile attitude towards Frank.

True, it has been argued before by others, correctly, that if she was planning this, she would have brought Trevor into the picture earlier. However, I think the following things that have probably already been counter-argued by others, but be that as it may:

Did she have a reason beforehand? She never would have had a reason before because she thought she had her daughters "under control". Besides, she hasn't known for very long that they've both moved out and, above all, she doesn't know that Lilly's opinion of Frank has done a 180 degree turn. So I wouldn't put it past her to try and manipulate Lilly emotionally by saying "when you come back you can see your father more often and we can be a family again" or some such nonsense.

Yes, I know. That doesn't sound much like Shannon, but she has a lawyer with few scruples who would put words like that in her mouth (yes, I had to hold back a joke) for good money.

Will there be any legal shenanigans? Doubtful, but Shannon has proven that she is not necessarily the most intelligent person, manipulative and spiteful, but not necessarily smart. Plus a lawyer of dubious integrity who will just want to milk Shannon.

To Trevor, to whom I hope he hasn't spread his seed in the last 10 years, I wonder why Shannon got involved with him again, she's worse and more vindictive than 50 dragons-in-law, and the only explanation is that at that moment her resentment towards Frank (and the late Jessica) was greater than her resentment towards Trevor.
But you have 2 major issues with all that:

1. Trevor doesn't care
2. Following from 1, manipulate how?
3. Could even add a third and say, why would any of them care what Shannon does with him?

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I agree with your points. My thoughts on your points:

1. we know Trevor doesn't care, Shannon knows Trevor doesn't care, Frank probably knows Trevor doesn't care either. What Shannon just can't know is that Lilly doesn't care that Trevor doesn't care by now. But she will know how hurt she once was by the loss of her father. So I wouldn't put it past her to try and exploit the weakness she thinks Lilly still has.

2. well, I'm thinking some nonsense excuse along the lines of "you might see your father again if you break away from Frank, Abby and your traitor sister" or something. Also, if she doesn't want to live on the streets, that would make her dependent on Shannon again. Would it be a smart move? No, but Shannon isn't blessed with much sense, nor does she know that Lilly knows who she had the affair with.

3. as I said, Shannon doesn't and can't know that Frank has come clean to Lilly in the meantime. In her eyes, Frank is a loyal idiot who promised never to tell anyone that she had the affair with Trevor. And let's be honest for a moment: if Lilly hadn't been so persistent about who her mother had the affair with, Frank would probably have taken the secret to his grave.

But looking through it again, I have to say that my image of Shannon makes her out to be quite a monster.

Reactions: Maviarab

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I agree with your points. My thoughts on your points:

1. we know Trevor doesn't care, Shannon knows Trevor doesn't care, Frank probably knows Trevor doesn't care either. What Shannon just can't know is that Lilly doesn't care that Trevor doesn't care by now. But she will know how hurt she once was by the loss of her father. So I wouldn't put it past her to try and exploit the weakness she thinks Lilly still has.

2. well, I'm thinking some nonsense excuse along the lines of "you might see your father again if you break away from Frank, Abby and your traitor sister" or something. Also, if she doesn't want to live on the streets, that would make her dependent on Shannon again. Would it be a smart move? No, but Shannon isn't blessed with much sense, nor does she know that Lilly knows who she had the affair with.

3. as I said, Shannon doesn't and can't know that Frank has come clean to Lilly in the meantime. In her eyes, Frank is a loyal idiot who promised never to tell anyone that she had the affair with Trevor. And let's be honest for a moment: if Lilly hadn't been so persistent about who her mother had the affair with, Frank would probably have taken the secret to his grave.

But looking through it again, I have to say that my image of Shannon makes her out to be quite a monster.
Hmmm....fair points yeah...you're right Shannon is behind on the information train so could try to exploit something that no longer exists. I'll give you that, hadn't actually thought of that aspect.

And yeah, I could see all that happening to some degree, it's obvious that cng still wants Shannon in the 'plot' somewhat, though I think from a personal perspective, it would better storywise to just move forward with the existing and new relationships rather than trying to force faux drama. I still don't think he will introduce Trevor as a quasi antogonist though...due to Trevors own not giving a shit attitude (by that I mean..what's in it for him?)...but it's entirely possible he will I guess, I'd just rather/hope he didn't heh.

All interesting points though for where he will take the Shannon plot...I just hope it's not too involved as the story is about the girls, everyone else (including Shannon,. despite her importance 'overall' in the story) are really insignificant.

As for your last sentence....yeah I can't say I see her much different (especially from what we hear from the girls)...I'm struggling to recall though off the top of my head...has it been explained what changed...in her I mean to become what she did, as we know from Frank that she was originally a decent enough person and a good mother...once upon a time at least.

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
As for your last sentence....yeah I can't say I see her much different (especially from what we hear from the girls)...I'm struggling to recall though off the top of my head...has it been explained what changed...in her I mean to become what she did, as we know from Frank that she was originally a decent enough person and a good mother...once upon a time at least.
I think that's just Frank's rose tinted glasses at work. We get to see Shannon the very first time Frank meets her and she's bullying Jess. Despite Jess being Frank's first and best friend at his new home he ends up dating her bully. He's really not a reliable judge of character aand anything good he said about her should probably be taken with if not a grain of salt then a metric tonne of it.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I think that's just Frank's rose tinted glasses at work. We get to see Shannon the very first time Frank meets her and she's bullying Jess. Despite Jess being Frank's first and best friend at his new home he ends up dating her bully. He's really not a reliable judge of character aand anything good he said about her should probably be taken with if not a grain of salt then a metric tonne of it.
Hahaha...also, a very fair point yes.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Hmmm....fair points yeah...you're right Shannon is behind on the information train so could try to exploit something that no longer exists. I'll give you that, hadn't actually thought of that aspect.

And yeah, I could see all that happening to some degree, it's obvious that cng still wants Shannon in the 'plot' somewhat, though I think from a personal perspective, it would better storywise to just move forward with the existing and new relationships rather than trying to force faux drama. I still don't think he will introduce Trevor as a quasi antogonist though...due to Trevors own not giving a shit attitude (by that I mean..what's in it for him?)...but it's entirely possible he will I guess, I'd just rather/hope he didn't heh.

All interesting points though for where he will take the Shannon plot...I just hope it's not too involved as the story is about the girls, everyone else (including Shannon,. despite her importance 'overall' in the story) are really insignificant.

I don't know if this was something said in game/in side-story or just speculation in thread, but I remember something said about how much more bitter Shannon became the more Abby looked like Jessica.

EDIT: but yea, as MBS said, Frank has an odd affinity for her all things considered.

TheCrimsonRevenger

Jul 13, 2017
Might have been playing too much Hogwarts Legacy. I'm seeing the Buttplugs in House colors and even realizing they kinda match the girl's personalities.

Rebecca's is Silver and Blue, and she's a meticulous mastermind genius like a good little Ravenclaw.

Abby's is gold and red, and she's the bravest, most adventurous of the main four like a good Gryffindor.

Lily coming in the with Slytherin black and green. Her competitive, prideful, and jealous tendencies kinda fit. That competitive streak transitions to ambition pretty quick once properly directed too.

And Mei may not have a plug yet(to my knowledge, i'l still a few updates behind) but she definitely gives off Hufflepuff vibes.

Let the record reflect I never gave half a rat's ass about Potterverse crap til I started playing HL. Now i'm into it. Sue me. lol

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I don't know if this was something said in game/in side-story or just speculation in thread, but I remember something said about how much more bitter Shannon became the more Abby looked like Jessica.
It is mentioned at the beginning of the biographies. In this case, I think Shannon's bio says, "Shannon tried to be a good mother to Abby for a time, which changed when Abby's appearance began to resemble her mother more and more.

On Shannon and Frank: I think he massively underestimated the extent of the dislike between the two of them, some might categorize that under "naivety is a fool's blessing", but actually some of it might also stem from the fact that neither of them ever said what the problem was between them, implying that it was something that could be a factor of massive shame for both of them. But yes, Shannon was a bully and I still assumed that part of the reason she dated Frank back then was because she knew she could hurt Jess with it. I think the only positive thing we can say about Shannon is that she tried to be a mom to Abby for a while, a phrase that comes from her bio and is therefore a neutral source.

In that context, I always try to compare it to "What if Jess was alive and Shannon's daughters were living with her and Frank?". I think that Jess wouldn't be entirely happy at first - understandably - but once she got to know Becca and Lilly a bit and saw Abby befriending them, that she would open up to them and quite possibly be a better mother to them than Shannon.

I would even say that ironically, since she has the most resemblance to her teenage mother, that she would probably get along best with Lilly since they have certain similarities.

Lilly was abandoned by her father -> Jess was disowned by her parents.
Both are very unlucky with men (no, I don't mean you, Frank)

That said, I'm convinced Jess would find the irony of her worst enemy's daughters befriending her own daughter, and the idea that it would have driven Shannon insane, highly amusing.

So, please please please, CNG, when you're finished with Single Again, do a side story that addresses such a potential scenario.

Macar

Aug 25, 2019
That leaves the final chapter: Becca. Abby and Lilly have had a big conflict to overcome so far, which was dramatic for them both in the beginning (because it made sense narratively). Now what, if any, could be the big conflict with Becca? It would definitely have to be something that she doesn't see coming and that kind of pulls the rug out from under her. The general plot line, so far, is obvious, at least in theory: all her machinations behind the scenes, like how Lilly's ex-boyfriend lost his job.
I'm almost positive Becca's story is going to involve whatever phases one and two were, which was teased in the last update. We will probably see that Becca orchestrated everything that led to this, like Shannon cheating on Frank in the first place. That was probably phase one. Phase two was Frank catching them leading to the divorce. I had suspected for a long time that Becca was the anonymous call that led to Frank coming home early that day.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I'm almost positive Becca's story is going to involve whatever phases one and two were, which was teased in the last update. We will probably see that Becca orchestrated everything that led to this, like Shannon cheating on Frank in the first place. That was probably phase one. Phase two was Frank catching them leading to the divorce. I had suspected for a long time that Becca was the anonymous call that led to Frank coming home early that day.
I'm not sure she would have orchestrated the actual cheating...that's low and cruel even for her....the phone call was definitely of her doing though.

Reactions: Elhemeer

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I think it depends on the context. Let's imagine the following scenario: Becca knows that Shannon is bad for Lilly and is openly hostile toward Abby. Later, Becca learns that Trevor has resurfaced. To see how Shannon reacts. Think of it as a test of sorts. If she hadn't started the affair, then she still had some character to work with and could have possibly become at least a halfway decent mom. If not, then it would have the benefit of Shannon being out of the picture when Frank finds out, which is best for Abby and Lilly before things escalate at some point.

If it really was a test I could even imagine the following setup: Trevor comes to Shannon's house, Frank is informed to come home. If it wasn't for the affair, this could have worked as a wake-up call for Shannon and a sign that she needs to work more on her marriage, her role as a mother and herself.

Remember, a few updates ago, Becca said that she's kind of a mama bear and also that she would end Vanessa if necessary to protect her family. So I think it's totally conceivable that she would do such a test for Shannon to see if she has a modicum of decency or needs to get the Old Yeller treatment before it escalates (either Shannon vs. Abby or Shannon vs. Lilly).

Macar

Aug 25, 2019
I'm not sure she would have orchestrated the actual cheating...that's low and cruel even for her....the phone call was definitely of her doing though.
She already said earlier that she was planning this for 5 years. So she must have had some plan to separate Frank and Shannon. Either Shannon was already cheating for the past 5 years, or she orchestrated it. I'm pretty sure Becca did. And she'd argue it was for the best because she was so awful. And everyone will be happier this way. I definitely think this is within character for her.

Reactions: aslop

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
She already said earlier that she was planning this for 5 years. So she must have had some plan to separate Frank and Shannon.
Interesting thoughts (though please use spoilers folks, because there will still be people starting this game for the first time).

I can't see Becca going so far as to create or orchestrate the cheating itself. BUT, knowing it was going on, manipulating things to get it discovered... Yeah.

Becca knows Frank better than Frank honestly knows himself, so she is very well aware of what he would, and would not, forgive. He could eventually thank her for discovery. But he'd never forgive her for creating the whole thing, and she'd know that.

3.90 star(s) 203 Votes