realgrande

Jan 16, 2019
Depends on your system specs. Quite possible whatever you're playing them on is far too antiquated.
most of the games work though, its just this game and 1 other that keeps lagging and says stopped responding, it doesn't crash, it just goes to the white screen

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
most of the games work though, its just this game and 1 other that keeps lagging and says stopped responding, it doesn't crash, it just goes to the white screen
Aside from (as MysteryCrabs asks about) what kind of drive, what are your system specs?

What's the other game that has this issue?

realgrande

Jan 16, 2019
Aside from (as MysteryCrabs asks about) what kind of drive, what are your system specs?

What's the other game that has this issue?
i think it was helping out a neighbour or something, i would say my specs is pretty good because it can handle other heavy games

hukutka94

Jun 14, 2019
Does this game have no sound or is the sound of this game not working on my pc? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MysteryCrabs

Dec 15, 2019
A built-in HDD
By which you mean a mechanical drive? That's probably the issue. The drive likely spins down, and is forced to spin up whenever a file call is made. That causes a stall while it waits for the drive to finally respond. If you have one, I recommend putting it on an SSD.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
A built-in HDD
By which you mean a mechanical drive? That's probably the issue. The drive likely spins down, and is forced to spin up whenever a file call is made. That causes a stall while it waits for the drive to finally respond. If you have one, I recommend putting it on an SSD.
Eh, an SSD isn't necessary for this game, or pretty much any Ren'Py game. As long as it's not a slow HDD (below 7200Rpm) or faulty, then it's perfectly fine.
The game window going white and a "Not Responding" notice is more typically a RAM, CPU, or overall level of drive activity issue.

Given that he's running a more modern rig than I am (and I don't get those issues and run the vast majority of my games from a HDD) I'd lean more toward the drive activity issue.
Yes, an SSD is better, but it's not necessary to buy one just to solve an issue with one or two VNs.

MysteryCrabs

Dec 15, 2019
Eh, an SSD isn't necessary for this game, or pretty much any Ren'Py game. As long as it's not a slow HDD (below 7200Rpm) or faulty, then it's perfectly fine.
The game window going white and a "Not Responding" notice is more typically a RAM, CPU, or overall level of drive activity issue.

Given that he's running a more modern rig than I am (and I don't get those issues and run the vast majority of my games from a HDD) I'd lean more toward the drive activity issue.
Yes, an SSD is better, but it's not necessary to buy one just to solve an issue with one or two VNs.
Most standard mechanical drives in consumer rigs are green-drives that will constantly spin down to reduce power consumption. With the increased proliferation of SSDs, this is only more true. If he has an SSD, it's a much faster solution to this problem.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
If he has an SSD, it's a much faster solution to this problem.
If he has an SSD, then he should use it. Doesn't appear that he does have one though.
He hasn't mentioned one at all, and has not been forthcoming with what his system specs are, other than apparently it can run "other heavy games"... Which is about as descriptive and helpful for us as an inflatable dartboard.
That could be anything from Crysis to Ark: Survival Evolved.

HDDs have pretty much always spun down when they're not being particularly active, so the advent of SSDs plays little-to-no impact on that, and the "green" HDDs are nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell lower speed/performance HDDs.
Other than potential issues with his HDD, insufficient RAM or managing to run out of VRAM has the same effect on even a Ren'Py game.

For all we know he could be playing whilst Chrome is running with 30+ tabs open at the same time, whilst streaming a 1080p 60fps video on Youtube, and he doesn't realise he's taxing his system.

4.50 star(s) 329 Votes