HTML Sluttown USA: Hometown Corruption [v0.37.2] [AmusingOddity]

3.60 star(s) 26 Votes

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
old saves say wrong game :confused:
k looks like it wwas reworked abit...

(+)face-tracker
(x)sometims need to scroll to get to location panel, well okeish at 75% browser resolution / could it be on the right side?
(x)can tips be made not concealed? to avoid extra clicking all npcs .
(x)dont like coledge navigation . need escapee shortcuts frrom all corridors.

Last edited:

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
Obviously there's some room for play here given the current end of content, but at least a few pages earlier it sure sounded like Karlee would primarily be in a relationship with Abella and you'd be her/their side piece, which I'm not interested in. The only form of this three way relationship I personally would be interested in would be one where Abella is the side piece and knows it, is even grateful for the opportunity she never would have had with Karlee otherwise.

This may be your intent, but it just doesn't feel that way, it feels like the complete opposite, Abella is using you to get her hooks in Karlee (with more success than I would like). Also, it's a bit weird to say it doesn't feel like sharing when you're literally agreeing to a plan to share Karlee with Abella for access to them both. If it wasn't sharing she wouldn't be on the table as a bargaining chip. My two cents anyway.

That is what's rubbing me the wrong way (or my complaint) and how I feel about the situation at the moment.
The following isn't a complaint but merely me wishing things had gone differently.

However, and this is not at all what you seem to be going for now and would only be possible if you did a branching story, I would prefer above all for them to have no relationship whatsoever and to corrupt Abella into being unable to stand the idea of it. You've already treaded on this territory when you made Karlee disgusted by all other men and their dicks, and her frustration with being so. What I'd love to see is a similar set of actions with Abella where you turn her love for women and pussy into disgust, and have her despair over the change. Cruel? Well, it's no different than what you did to Karlee.
This would also mean Karlee no longer needs to be made to like women (it's been a while but if I remember right, she had zero interest and you change her so that she is). If such a branch/story were to ever happen she could either never have been made to in the first place, or at some point after you change Abella you change her back.
This certainly seems like a static story outside of the initial private/public route choice (though I could argue this should be the private route with the other being the 'public' but not so public route), so I don't expect to ever see this and I'm not demanding you do it or anything.
There are things that have gone into the decision with Karlee and Abella that aren't really obvious to a player that I need to account for when writing her. For example both of her main routes need to end with her moving out of the house, this is less to do with her and more to do with what I have planned for India moving forward. So in thinking about that I thought a fun way of getting her out of the house would be to have her move in with Abella and build a little lesbian love shack for you to play in.

Before the arc closes I do plan in adding scenes to make it more explicit that Abella is only getting Karlee as far as you are willing to give her. Its less about MC becoming the "main" relationship for both of them and more about him not caring about what they do together as long as they know he can have them whenever he wants. Again the arc's close should make this more clear.

Abella is defo using the MC to get what she wants, to this point that has lined up fine with his wants so he hasn't addressed it. The arc's close will see that change and have him take a firmer hand with her.

As far as branching goes. I am totally up for doing branches for arcs. The plan I have in mind right now is to try to get everyone in this first phase of the game complete with 2 full arcs. Once I have that done I'm going to talk to my subscribers before moving on to phase 2 of the game about what branches they want and for who.

I'd love to be able to do a bunch of branches for everyone but I only get 2 days off a week and I just don't have the time to do it if I want to be able to get complete characters in the game at a reasonable pace.

In addition to what has been noted above, I'd add that it is not helped by coming immediately after choosing between a public and private path for her. Having that choice followed by a long string of unavoidable sharing (at best, the MC's role being less than a third wheel in their relationship for a lot of the time) events comes across as a bit of a fuck-you to the player, suggesting that the choices are largely meaningless.

I realize that that is not the intent, but that's how it came across when I first played through it.
Someone, it may have been you? Mentoned this to me before. If you play through that part of the game again I have added some text that is more explicit about MC seeing it as an opportunity to get his hooks in Abella/get some threesome action going.

Reactions: gregers

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Someone, it may have been you? Mentoned this to me before. If you play through that part of the game again I have added some text that is more explicit about MC seeing it as an opportunity to get his hooks in Abella/get some threesome action going.
It may have been. Since I understand this update broke saves anyway I'll look out for it when playing through that part again at some point.

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
Its less about MC becoming the "main" relationship for both of them and more about him not caring about what they do together as long as they know he can have them whenever he wants.
That's sharing, the entire premise of the relationship is that you're sharing. Adding in contextual dominance and a non-committal attitude from the MC doesn't actually do anything to address that, and the way it's being treated is that they're the ones in an actual relationship and you just sometimes show up to fuck them. In general it's just poorly handled and doesn't match the tone of the other private paths, or even match the implication given by the name of the path.

Reactions: Tenenbaum

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
That's sharing, the entire premise of the relationship is that you're sharing. Adding in contextual dominance and a non-committal attitude from the MC doesn't actually do anything to address that, and the way it's being treated is that they're the ones in an actual relationship and you just sometimes show up to fuck them. In general it's just poorly handled and doesn't match the tone of the other private paths, or even match the implication given by the name of the path.
Yeah, I can see that side of it once it was pointed out to me. I guess I just don't think of it that way when its another girl.

Question. When you see "private path" do you confuse that for romance/couple path? Do I need to be more explicit about the fact that the game is about making sluts to fuck, not meeting a girlfriend? I thought this was understood but maybe it isn't? If that's what I was gong for it would be "Romance path" and "Slut path" instead of "Private slut" and "Public slut".

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
old saves say wrong game :confused:
k looks like it wwas reworked abit...

(+)face-tracker
(x)sometims need to scroll to get to location panel, well okeish at 75% browser resolution / could it be on the right side?
(x)can tips be made not concealed? to avoid extra clicking all npcs .
(x)dont like coledge navigation . need escapee shortcuts frrom all corridors.
Yes, some stuff I did for the new update broke save compatibility. I've messaged the mods to add a warning to the front page.

Karlee's path has been added to in this update if that's what you mean?

What is a face tracker?

Yeah, the nav isn't perfect. The game is going to need lots of locations as it progresses though so I need them in there.

You need to click on tips so that people who can use the tip system if they get stuck without being accidentaly spoiled on other characters that they might not want tips on.

You can get back to the lobby from the side rooms. Is that what you're talking about? Or are you saying the side rooms should escape somewhere else?

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Question. When you see "private path" do you confuse that for romance/couple path? Do I need to be more explicit about the fact that the game is about making sluts to fuck, not meeting a girlfriend? I thought this was understood but maybe it isn't? If that's what I was gong for it would be "Romance path" and "Slut path" instead of "Private slut" and "Public slut".
I don't think that's the issue exactly. I wouldn't expect any lovey-dovey romance given the title and core plot of this game. But I think there may be a disconnect between what we consider public and private, or rather which category we think of first and let define the other. It's a question of emphasis.
I tend to think of 'private' first in the strict sense as cut off from everyone else, where I think you/the game more considers it not-entirely-public: I.e. the public path might be turning out entirely free-use sluts, but the private path will still involve some sharing with other people.

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
i meant that upon starting i noticed that ui looked bit different so it could be the explanation for incompatibility (not excluding other things i was not aware at the start)
tracker of npcs via showing face near the location. which i approve (+)....
(x) = no good
'without being accidentaly spoiled on other characters that they might not want tips on.'
eh, dont they need tips to progress?
or did u imply those who would want to operate without tips? then they will not go there. problem solved
or dunno, try not to look. (tbh never heard or thought about that concern)
i feel like it would be a minority (thus majority is punished) caz if it is a sandbox - it is all about optimization of clicks and ui (imo) extra 6-8 clicks can easily be 16 per ingame day, which pile up and will comprise some fair share of technically avoiable repetitive clicking (which some may call a grind)
in other words nothing should disturb players from following quest chain tasks (including text hehe; though yeah, while saying this i recognize that here that argument might be not that valid as the game is leaning towards vn with sbx ui...similar to crucial investigation/candy legacy for example. and pathes... surely it is also vn approah which i always advise to avoid under all cost in sandboxes [as it is not just vn renpy skip from answer to answer. so it will never work. i will be eitherr left with negging feeling of unseen content ... orwwith option to go through some bulky save-load proceddure(with or without some tons of routine clicks) ...whereas actual game will be 2-3 times shorter than it should)
i am always failing to find those tricky uni locations and going somewhere i dont need to. so i make tons of unnecessary clicks in caz my muscle memory fails me. id prefer dunno, colored map maybe. or all shown at once. or removing inactive somehow ...or showing active (like witth aj and alx) on the right...

(x)also skip is not a permanently available button.

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
I don't think that's the issue exactly. I wouldn't expect any lovey-dovey romance given the title and core plot of this game. But I think there may be a disconnect between what we consider public and private, or rather which category we think of first and let define the other. It's a question of emphasis.
I tend to think of 'private' first in the strict sense as cut off from everyone else, where I think you/the game more considers it not-entirely-public: I.e. the public path might be turning out entirely free-use sluts, but the private path will still involve some sharing with other people.
I think where I am with the route structure is more in the public means Public as in people know what she is doing and private is more in the line of only you know what she is doing and why.

This will probably become more apparent as the game goes on. I have plans later in the game to implement an area corruption mechanic. If you corrupt a girl in the school in a private way you get 1 point to school corruption but if you corrupt her in a public way you would get 2 or maybe 3. Since that system isn't in the game yet, and won't be for a while, it might be a little less clear what the goal of the game is until you get there.

i meant that upon starting i noticed that ui looked bit different so it could be the explanation for incompatibility (not excluding other things i was not aware at the start)
tracker of npcs via showing face near the location. which i approve (+)....
(x) = no good
'without being accidentaly spoiled on other characters that they might not want tips on.'
eh, dont they need tips to progress?
or did u imply those who would want to operate without tips? then they will not go there. problem solved
or dunno, try not to look. (tbh never heard or thought about that concern)
i feel like it would be a minority (thus majority is punished) caz if it is a sandbox - it is all about optimization of clicks and ui (imo) extra 6-8 clicks can easily be 16 per ingame day, which pile up and will comprise some fair share of technically avoiable repetitive clicking (which some may call a grind)
in other words nothing should disturb players from following quest chain tasks (including text hehe; though yeah, while saying this i recognize that here that argument might be not that valid as the game is leaning towards vn with sbx ui...similar to crucial investigation/candy legacy for example. and pathes... surely it is also vn approah which i always advise to avoid under all cost in sandboxes [as it is not just vn renpy skip from answer to answer. so it will never work. i will be eitherr left with negging feeling of unseen content ... orwwith option to go through some bulky save-load proceddure(with or without some tons of routine clicks) ...whereas actual game will be 2-3 times shorter than it should)
i am always failing to find those tricky uni locations and going somewhere i dont need to. so i make tons of unnecessary clicks in caz my muscle memory fails me. id prefer dunno, colored map maybe. or all shown at once. or removing inactive somehow ...or showing active (like witth aj and alx) on the right...

(x)also skip is not a permanently available button.
A surprising amount of people like to play these games in the dark and explore around to find stuff on their own. I know cause I'm one of those people. Its a small thing to do to make that play-style more playable.

I can see the VN comparison. I like games that have lots of text and story, where you get to know characters before getting to the sexy bits. In order to do this I need to limit myself in how many paths there are because I couldn't possibly write 10 paths for every character to the degree that I would like to with the time I have.

Karlee's private path is probably going to come in at something like 45-50k words. I know that's not for everyone, and I'm cool with that. Part of the reason I decided to make this game to start with is cause no one else is dumb enough to commit that kind of time to writing in these games, and if they do the game has like 5 images that you see over and over.

My compromise in this is to write 2 full paths for almost every character and instead of say, doing a path for Karlee that is about her becoming a "insert kink here" type of a slut, I'll just add another character with that kink as the thing that makes her character unique in the game.

The game is more about collecting sluts than taking 1 slut and giving her a bunch of different paths. Doing it this way I can start getting completed characters in the game faster and kickstart the collecting process. This is way more doable for me in the limited amount of time I have.

Keep in mind that this is only the sixth release of a game that is going to have dozens of characters by the time it's finished. I havent even started on the teachers in the school, the PTA, the Project that you'll unlock after you break Sarah (think Akabur's witch trainer). I can't stress enough that this game has just started.

I agree that the nav isn't ideal. There are reasons for that too. As the game goes on there are going to be random events that pop in locations so I need the MC to "walk around town" in order to encounter them. And again there is a personal preference thing here. I'm the kind of guy that likes poking around trying to find everything in a game without the hint system. I've played games that have really, really streamlined nav systems and I did not enjoy them. If you go too far in that direction it stops feeling like a game and becomes more about just picking scenes from a menu. (which I realize is what all of these games are but I like it when I have to move around a world to get to the correct menu.:D)

Its something that I do think about and hopefully I'll come up with something cleaner that still has the MC walking around and is easier to navigate. If you know any other games with similar needs to Sluttown that you think do a good job let me know and I'll check them out.

Skip doesn't work on pages where you can type in text ,cause if it did you wouldn't be able to name characters anything with a c in it. It also doesn't work on most pages that have multiple options.

Reactions: gregers

Summer Love

Jul 5, 2017
The grind for the hypno things energy is unbearable. I haven't played since you could bang karlee, every time I think about doing that stupid minigame over and over again I just lose any and all desire to play this.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
I think where I am with the route structure is more in the public means Public as in people know what she is doing and private is more in the line of only you know what she is doing and why.

This will probably become more apparent as the game goes on. I have plans later in the game to implement an area corruption mechanic. If you corrupt a girl in the school in a private way you get 1 point to school corruption but if you corrupt her in a public way you would get 2 or maybe 3. Since that system isn't in the game yet, and won't be for a while, it might be a little less clear what the goal of the game is until you get there.
That ... makes a lot of sense, and fits the title of the game nicely. I didn't suss at all that private here means "secret" rather than "for the MC only". As you say the wider corruption mechanic is not in the game yet, but sounds like the pathing choices will make a lot more sense once that system is introduced.

The grind for the hypno things energy is unbearable. I haven't played since you could bang karlee, every time I think about doing that stupid minigame over and over again I just lose any and all desire to play this.
Yeah, I think I sat through that 1.5 times before noping and just cheating a bunch of charge with the console.

Dixon Butz

Apr 8, 2017
The best solution I can think of to reduce the large amount of clicks in navigation, would be to add a "Go Home" button in the left panel.

Reactions: The_Endergod

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
If you're still interested this might be the update to jump back in on. I've added a second way to generate charge. It unlocks as you play through the new content of the hacker character. Also you don't need to play the mini game if you don't want to, there is a way to automatically resolve it. I don't know if that was in the game last you played it.

how to progress with hack girl i keep getting the hire her text and where do in fund emma?
Are you playing on a new save? The Hacker content can't be accesses using old saves.

If you are on a new save you need to get your coding ability to 6, next time you charge the app she will appear. From there hire her 5 times and she will give you her address. You can get the bus from the map screen to visit her (she is only at home in the evening and night.)

Emma doesn't have her own arc in the game. She will be back later as part of India's arc.

Reactions: Dixon Butz

neodav

Nov 13, 2017
Something to consider, AmusingOddity: You say that you view the "Public Slut" path less like NTR and more like pushing the characters to just be generally sluttier. That being the case, you might want to add some dialogue to the game that indicates that the women are maintaining some independence and autonomy in that path, at least in some cases. I admittedly haven't played through the Public routes yet myself, but looking at India's boss in particular, it's hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't start dominating/controlling India completely once she becomes available to him sexually. If she starts using sex as a weapon to break free of him, similar to the way Emma manipulates clients to get better deals, that plays better.

Conversely, though, there are other characters who clearly could benefit from the Public route taking them down a peg. The warehouse owner is clearly going to end up getting gangbanged by her employees eventually, and judging by the dean being a ridiculously heavy-handed misandrist stereotype, I'm assuming she's meant to go down a similar road. I guess what I'd mostly caution you on is making sure it doesn't feel like they're being stolen away from the protagonist in the process. It's a tough line to walk.

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
>>A surprising amount of people like to play these games in the dark and explore around to find stuff on their own.
might be. but then my solutions are kinda valid. (can there be 2 regimes, keep hidden/open?)
with some games (including this) it is probably of less or no importance if you have several time periods and more or less same locations compared to those with 1h-periods and rapid npcs relocations ; with some 1-h qps games i was in the dark (caz w/t were vague or didnot cover latest versions ...cannot say it was painful experience...cannot say i enjoyed it either... tried to focus on one and kept tracking ...or tweak some quests variables if possible ... until out of ideas and options

>> I like games that have lots of text and story
another way for me to classify game as vn-into-sbx is when text and story dictate actions instead of actions forming narrative. i ofc can benifit only from the latter as never-reader. thus i rely on objects, enviroment, locations, visuals, answers, tips to help me understand what is going on. but that is in general. here is a weird case as with my approach im left with just the premise which is kinda self-expanatory. use app x times -get result (so from my pov id even call it vn-into-trainer . as enough of same location repetitive app using which perceived as somewhat trainerish routine)

>>2 full paths
id suggest to create some path switch/force activation buttons.

>> other games with similar needs
eh need to think.
i mean there is nothing wrong or unsual with this game navi (excluding mentioned uni one)
things which were noticable are lots of free space on the right and occasional need to scroll down to navi area [maybe in uni only...or maybe when there are random pics/vids of certain sizes and shapes] got me thinking about having navi-ui on the right side.
examples if i remembered its ui right. the shadows of friendship, to the fullest... qsp-sandboxes (SoaB, extacity etc) also have locations on the sides (at least for building insides); overall good qol is in become someone but its locations navi is not mantained during interactions so invalid, on the right though they have a phone with extra navi panel which is uncomfy to use but anyway, could have been a good use of space.
for complicated uni one
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

>>Skip doesn't work ...
i never saw skip buttons working that selectively.

Last edited:

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
Yeah, I've noticed that some people aren't. I never really thought of it as sharing if you're using Karlee to get your hooks in Abella, but some people seem to. Just a taste thing I guess.

Well, I really like that part. Would like for it to be equal love for all 3 and could semi easily be written/programmed that way.

Started a new game with this update. I forget names....and have changed some.... But would like to be able to have some fun w the hackers aunt. Even a threesome relationship there would be fun. It could help drag the hacker out of her shell, and be a nice love couple when the Aunt goes back on tour.

Really enjoying it though, Thanks very much AmusingOddity. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Hercule_Poirot

Aug 22, 2016
Once the Hacker's Quest has advanced enough to visit her and use the app on her whenever you go there, it shows you a dialogue with Alex Chance, does that mean that there's no more contentwith Veruca yet?

On another note, I've been playing the Karlee and Abella story arc, but I get the feeling that the MC is nothing more than a walking dildo, not even a side piece. He gets completely manipulated into convincing Karlee into wanting a relationship with Abella, even to the point of moving in with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigguy_foryou

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
Yeah, I can see that side of it once it was pointed out to me. I guess I just don't think of it that way when its another girl.

I don't confuse it for a romance path I just assume "private" means you're keeping the slut to yourself. And like I said, it's also a very jarring tonal difference from all the other private paths we've gotten so far and reads much closer to one of the public paths. You also seem to have intent that differs wildly from actual player perception, I'd suggest either leaning into that perception or doing better to express your intent in the writing itself if you're adamant about keeping it.

3.60 star(s) 26 Votes