Unity Completed Snake Thompson [HoneyGames]

2.40 star(s) 8 Votes

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I start programming games last year and I use unity. I tried renpy but unity it's easier for me ( I really didn't know nothing about coding until 1 years and half ago). Unity got some asset who help me and now I'm able to build complex game.
In the meantime I'm trying to learn how to optimize it, I'm sure there is a way to make the game lighter but I'm already working on it and I'm trying to discover how it work. I start from schratch on december 2016 and I take the fast way to get what I was searching, now I'm trying to make it better and in the right way. In every game I made I do something better then the last one. So I hope I continue to get better.
Sorry for my english.
At the moment I 'm working at 2 games ( 1 I started with a friend a friend but now he left) so when I'll end snake in the next episode I'll have more free time for study.
Hi, had a buddy ask me to check out the game, I can see that there are some performance issues, at least one tip i can give you right away is to not keep the images inside unity project, images are about 10 times bigger inside unity as it makes it into its own format, also the title screen probably shouldnt be a bmp, also to save space and performance, try using streaming assets and use resource load.

Another tip i would have is that if you are going to do a word by word dialogue showing, either do it letter by letter or fade in the whole text, because word by word is very choppy :)

You can also learn how to save and load using save files with file.write and text parsing. I like the setting of the game but I think the assets you are working with could use a lot of optimizing. If you have any questions you can hit me up on discord. Aesouh #5220

Good luck with the game :)

/A

DragonFire

Jul 30, 2017
@DragonFire become a shareholder pls :D
@ Not quite sure what a shareholder is, or what you mean by it?
I'm still a fairly new user to this site after all and ain't got all the lingua down yet ;)
Heck I don't even know how to make them "spoiler tags" :eek:

PerkZZZ

Apr 12, 2018
How do you progress in lvl 12? (convince big red and al to join)
When I speak to big red and Al they ask me if I did what brad asked, but I don´t have a mission from brad atm?

DragonFire

Jul 30, 2017
How do you progress in lvl 12? (convince big red and al to join)
When I speak to big red and Al they ask me if I did what brad asked, but I don´t have a mission from brad atm?
Am pretty sure the mission is to sell drugs like 4 or 5 times in the Pub/Bar, so be mindful of the Cops awareness towards Snake criminal points.
Or if you did that, then they ask for Snake to get some explosives. Hint for that: Snake should already have met a "fence/fixer" if he is at level 11.

If you mean from level 12 to 13, then ignore the above.. as I haven't gotten to that point yet.. needed a break from this many hours in a row marathon :eek:penedeyewink:

PerkZZZ

Apr 12, 2018
Am pretty sure the mission is to sell drugs like 4 or 5 times in the Pub/Bar, so be mindful of the Cops awareness towards Snake criminal points.
Or if you did that, then they ask for Snake to get some explosives. Hint for that: Snake should already have met a "fence/fixer" if he is at level 11.

If you mean from level 12 to 13, then ignore the above.. as I haven't gotten to that point yet.. needed a break from this many hours in a row marathon :eek:penedeyewink:
Thanks I missed selling drugs multiple times yeah. On th eplus side it seems that I did everything else und jumped from lvl 12 to lvl 15 :biggrin:

Ozygator

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 15, 2016
First of all
Thank you for the review.
Then... You can learn how to hotwire the bike from your pc, you have to buy it check it on your motel room

Yes, there is a couple of events not perfect, I plan to fix everything when I'll finish part 5of5... I'll make a rebuild of some things about the game and probably I'll add a couple of scenes (especially I'll fix MC/Zoe/patrick events than non are messed up in the beginning of their storyline... I can't o it now because there is the risk I fucked up all the rest of the game)

I know the first 12/13 level could be too much difficult, the game will become easier later. I plan to sempify first levels when I'll rebuild.

I'm also studying how to make the game lighter for the gpu. At the moments I have no solution and all my games have the same problems.

To write a complete walkthru is difficult becauese there are so much different storyline who interact with each others. I'll do it but I have to find the way to make also a simple scheme or it became a book.

I'm glad you like the game and you said there is potential also if it's difficult and not perfect yet. I hope I can solve some of the problems you find to give all of you a nice game experience.
Actually sat down to try the game yesterday and had a similar experience to the post you quoted. I will tell you that usually people wanttbugs fixed before the story is finished, because with enough bugs they simply won't ever finish your game at all, period, especially if they hit something that's 50% or less through the story (like I ran into with Patrick's picture over-riding the entire game map, the jumbled dialogue like mentioned with Zoe, etc).

So take that advice to heart. Fix bugs when they are reported, not 6 months and 3 story parts later or else you will get a rep as a dev who makes buggy POS games and people usually do noy come back around to spend more of their real time and effort if you leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Agreed on the walkthrough, if you want to call it that. Some events, like having Jonathan around to even talk to, I have yet to trigger, and I stopped playing at level 10 when the errors like the above mentioned, caused me to have to restart the game multiple times in a 10-15 minute span.

When you go back and revamp things, don't have trigger scenes that are needed for relationships ever expire, or make it so that story scenes only trigger AFTER character story scenes fire. There is nothing quite as frustrating when playing a game as hearing that a player missed some scenes due to some convoluted flow-chart of actions that had to be done, meanwhile you have automatic cut scenes that can and DO advance the story part points where the character scenes can actually trigger. Like the Estella BJ scene supposedly happening before the Latin lord scene.

Also... Have on screen indicators of when an action add's points some how. Players now days expect to have a flag or visual cue when they do something right, without having to flip up the stat's screen after every single conversation.

With all that being said, the game is a lot of fun once the basic pattern of work and fight skill comes into play and players can actually make money. Just need to add more visual cue's on when some items or characters are available. Like is there anything that boost's Cheryl's affection? I could not find anything that boosted her beyond 1, all all, ever. If she's not meant to be a romance option then make that clear via the dialogue early on, and don't show her on the splash screen like she is.

HoneyGames

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2018
Actually sat down to try the game yesterday and had a similar experience to the post you quoted. I will tell you that usually people wanttbugs fixed before the story is finished, because with enough bugs they simply won't ever finish your game at all, period, especially if they hit something that's 50% or less through the story (like I ran into with Patrick's picture over-riding the entire game map, the jumbled dialogue like mentioned with Zoe, etc).

So take that advice to heart. Fix bugs when they are reported, not 6 months and 3 story parts later or else you will get a rep as a dev who makes buggy POS games and people usually do noy come back around to spend more of their real time and effort if you leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Agreed on the walkthrough, if you want to call it that. Some events, like having Jonathan around to even talk to, I have yet to trigger, and I stopped playing at level 10 when the errors like the above mentioned, caused me to have to restart the game multiple times in a 10-15 minute span.

When you go back and revamp things, don't have trigger scenes that are needed for relationships ever expire, or make it so that story scenes only trigger AFTER character story scenes fire. There is nothing quite as frustrating when playing a game as hearing that a player missed some scenes due to some convoluted flow-chart of actions that had to be done, meanwhile you have automatic cut scenes that can and DO advance the story part points where the character scenes can actually trigger. Like the Estella BJ scene supposedly happening before the Latin lord scene.

Also... Have on screen indicators of when an action add's points some how. Players now days expect to have a flag or visual cue when they do something right, without having to flip up the stat's screen after every single conversation.

With all that being said, the game is a lot of fun once the basic pattern of work and fight skill comes into play and players can actually make money. Just need to add more visual cue's on when some items or characters are available. Like is there anything that boost's Cheryl's affection? I could not find anything that boosted her beyond 1, all all, ever. If she's not meant to be a romance option then make that clear via the dialogue early on, and don't show her on the splash screen like she is.
Ok..
Thank you fro your review.
First of All. I usually fix the bugs in the first day I release the game, usually after a couple of days there is a Good version.
The Zoe bug in this game is an exception. I create that bugs (The bug is: it seems like you had sex with her also if this doesn't happens) to clear another bugs that I discover too late. I mean I create that bug or all the people who playing the game will be forced to start from the scratch when I fix it. I choose the less damage ( I don't know how to translate it in english, Sorry). That why I'll fix it when the game will be end and I'll release a final version.
I know isn't a good thing but is the better option I have.

I also know I made a very complicated game and it could be frustrating when you don't find a scene. but for example the Estella bj scene you can reach it later in the game if you don't get it at the beginning. If you have version 4of5 after you reach level 21 you'll be able to get the scene.
Anyway... Yes, the game is very complicated and it's an error I'll not make again in my games but this game for me it's so "sperimental" ( I think no one else did a game like this before... and maybe there is a reason hahahaha) I want to tell a story and so much storylines cross with other storylines to create the main story. Probably I exagerated and if you go thru the last level you can see I semplifiy all that mess.
As I said when I'll end the game I'll rework all the initial part and I'll make it easier but I need to end the game so I can work from schratch, If I made change now the risk is that some variables will go crazy and the game will mess up totally. So Before I'll end the game, all the story with all his imperfection and then I'll rebuilt a better version where probably I'll add some scene and events but it will be more "intuitive".
Also the "how to get point" issue is a thing I don't calculate from the begin and I'll try to make easier and brighter the way you earn point. But I have to figure it out how. (In my other game, "follower" you can see all the experience I did in this game made me do a better game in various aspects so I'm confidence I'll make Snake Thompson better too. )

I hope you'll continue pplay and enjoy the experience.
If you have any bugs report to me andI'll fix it as soon as possible (usually I'm fast)

And if you give up this version of the game I hope you at least will give a chance to the rebuilt version I'll made.

My priority now is end the last episode and fix everything I can fix without create bigger problems to the game. Anyway the game now is playable from level 1 to level 26 and some important events could be triggered in different ways. It depends by your choice in the game.

het2000

Aug 8, 2016
@HoneyGames for some reason your games load gpu like crazy.The temprerature goes up to 80° C. Stuff like that shouldnt happen in this sort of game. Can you look into it?

HoneyGames

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2018
@HoneyGames for some reason your games load gpu like crazy.The temprerature goes up to 80° C. Stuff like that shouldnt happen in this sort of game. Can you look into it?
Yes, As I said I'm also working and trying to understand why my games are so heavy.
At the moment the problem is that I'm developping alone 2 games because the guy who worked with me at follower now left.
So I'll finish Snake in a couple of weeks.. then I'll have more time and I'll use it to understand what I'm doing wrong and why my games are so heavy.

In these days I'm watching some different option that different dev gives to me.
I'll do my test and I hope I can solve the problem.

DragonFire

Jul 30, 2017
Played a bit more today and can report 2 consistent bugs.

1. When using explosives, map navigation icons show up on picture and stay on screen, re-loading doesn't remove them. It's possible to save, close game, start game again and load the save, that fixes it.
(Have mentioned the bug before, but then it appeared random when it happened, for this one it's every time at that place).

2. Holly, Mall, evening 20:00-21:00'ish, when she wants to drink and takes you to a bar, the same bug appears, every single time. It is not possible to go to map, but it is possible to save or load, however like above the bug only goes away with closing game and re-loading.

Despite the negative report info I do enjoy the game, otherwise I wouldn't bother posting about it ;)
Looking forward to the day it's finished and bug free, when you've solved all the problems and made it like you (and we players) wants it to be :)
Feel free to PM me if you want help constructing a more user friendly guide, I got plenty of spare time so won't charge a dime for that favor if you're interested?

Rickster82

Sep 10, 2017
Hey guys, I play this game for the first time. Week after week nothing new. I'm still LEVEL 1. I raised up all the stats (LOOK, FIGHTING, MONEY etc.) but nothing happened. Has anyone tips or a walkthrough?

HoneyGames

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2018
Played a bit more today and can report 2 consistent bugs.

1. When using explosives, map navigation icons show up on picture and stay on screen, re-loading doesn't remove them. It's possible to save, close game, start game again and load the save, that fixes it.
(Have mentioned the bug before, but then it appeared random when it happened, for this one it's every time at that place).

2. Holly, Mall, evening 20:00-21:00'ish, when she wants to drink and takes you to a bar, the same bug appears, every single time. It is not possible to go to map, but it is possible to save or load, however like above the bug only goes away with closing game and re-loading.

Despite the negative report info I do enjoy the game, otherwise I wouldn't bother posting about it ;)
Looking forward to the day it's finished and bug free, when you've solved all the problems and made it like you (and we players) wants it to be :)
Feel free to PM me if you want help constructing a more user friendly guide, I got plenty of spare time so won't charge a dime for that favor if you're interested?
Sure, an help for the walkthru is totally welcome.
If you use discord you can add me there
it's a faster way to chat and send files.

Moon1278

Nov 15, 2017
@HoneyGames there a bug with the time go work at the Garage at 10 am for 3hour and time jump to 18:00 or 19:00 dont know it someone else pointed this out yet to you

HoneyGames

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2018
@HoneyGames there a bug with the time go work at the Garage at 10 am for 3hour and time jump to 18:00 or 19:00 dont know it someone else pointed this out yet to you
when there is some special event like you help some girls you spend all the day working

DragonFire

Jul 30, 2017
Debra bug(s)
Another tip to those who want to avoid hours of wasted efforts, do not talk to Debra at the Beach at all, it causes the "need to close down game bug".
Instead talk to her in the evenings at the "Mall", same dialogue (depending what stage your at with her), but with no bugs as far as I can tell.
However, be smart and patient.. not like I was... Do not approach her before you have talked with Jonathan about everything else but her.. as in talk with him each day at 11:00 on the beach, do the topics from top to bottom and the last thing you ask him, is "about that woman you saw him with". Doing it any other way may very well mess up the point gains for Debra and possibly ruin your investigation path about Jonathan, breaking progress with Cheryl.

Here is how I stumbled upon my game mistakes...
The first thing I asked Jonathan about was the woman (Debra), then I could suddenly talk to her, wasn't possible until then (Doh.. of course not), but she didn't really want to talk as Snake is a stranger to her.
After some time I did some work in the Garage, at that point in my game I mainly earned money through Bouncing / Drug selling, but happened to need more cash so went to the Garage in the morning and suddenly Debra needed her car fixed.
Doing that created her face picture on my Stats lists with 4 points to it, now she was more willing to progress our dialogue but as I wasn't finished with my Jonathan conversation topics, I went ahead and talk to him again. The topic of Debra was gone from this list of topics, all others remain even if asked I before I think.. anyways, as soon as I had talked to him again, Debra's face picture was gone.. "Oh no!" hours of playing around I found I could talk to her, but no progress and no picture return.. until after something I don't recall atm.. but point is the picture returned, with 0 relation points.. and I was able to drink with her and take her back to the nice Hotel, which I had paid 500 bucks for a week.. she refuses to go to the crappy place.

Anyways.. her points remain at 0 and didn't seam a way to (re)gain progress regarding her, Jonathan or Cheryl.

So once again: Do all the other Jonathan topics first, from top to bottom, after asking about "The woman I saw you with" wait for her to show up in the Garage, could be you need to approach her once, either at Beach(afternoon) or Mall(evening) but Beach will bug badly so be ware.. only do this if she doesn't show up for car repair.
She can also be found in Cheryl's hair saloon shop for more/other dialogue's, Tuesdays at 11:00-17:00 I believe it is.

Regarding Cheryl, to those who wonder if it's possible to earn relation points with her and how:
Yes it is!! What it leads to I do not yet know, but buy a bottle of wine at the Mall, wait till she is home alone and you are at a certain stage in your investigation regarding Jonathan I think.. am pretty sure the option to share the wine with her first opened up after I told her that Snake saw her with another woman and that she should be careful.
Anyways.. from then on, each time Snake drank wine with her she gained a point, got 11 there so far, but no progress (which I suspect has to do with me messing up the Jonathan/Debra convo/event order *sigh*).
A new bottle shows up in the Mall, for 30 bucks, right after it's gone from inventory, as in shared with Cheryl, so could say it cost $30 per Cheryl relation point, up to a certain stage I guess.. will have to restart and play everything to be certain, which is gonna wait a while.. or maybe I'll just wait with restarting until the game is finished.. am not sure yet ;)

That's my discoveries for tonight, hope some found it useful, maybe even entertaining? Cheers all :cool:

JonesTheFake

Jul 7, 2017
I played the game when it was at part 2 and I'm wondering if you can have a relationship with the brother's wife? Also, will part 5 be the last installment for the game?

2.40 star(s) 8 Votes