VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes
Dec 31, 2019
Very good game, I have to say I nearly didn't play it because of that preview showing that log that looked like the MC's dick, glad it's fixed now. :ROFLMAO:
And I'm glad I gave it a chance, was missing out on this gem.

Well written, very interesting characters and story, good looking renders and the girls look great. I liked them all but Aoife is my favorite for sure, love her personality and how she looks.

It's mostly PoV which is a plus for me too. The only small problem I had is that the point system is very strict, I thought I was going for Aoife but looks like I messed up and always end up going home alone at the end of this update. Will try following the walkthrough now.

Other than that I'm loving it so far, great work STWAdev, can't wait to see more of it!

Reactions: Blackchip

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Yeah, I hate using walkthroughs because I try to play where I make the decisions based on what I would do or say in the situations presented to me. I try to imagine being the character and responding in that manner. Using a walkthrough just makes me a point whore (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
I do both heh. Usually my first run through is always as you do. Make decisions based upon what I think is presented to me/who I like etc/what I think. All subsequent play throughs after are always done with a walkthrough (pdf where possible...not a fan of mods) to be able to take all possible paths so I can see all the content.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I do both heh. Usually my first run through is always as you do. Make decisions based upon what I think is presented to me/who I like etc/what I think. All subsequent play throughs after are always done with a walkthrough (pdf where possible...not a fan of mods) to be able to take all possible paths so I can see all the content.
I normally don't do the walkthroughs, there are games where I have but it feels like cheating to me. I mean, I know I won't see all the content if I don't but as long as I am satisfied with the story and how I've done I don't care if I missed something. I'm not into collecting all the gallery shots and I also don't like to play games where if I miss 1-2 points then I am locked out of content. In the former I am not here for the pictures and in the latter if answering as I want means nothing happens then I have no desire to continue playing. So far I am enjoying how this story has been evolving, we shall see how it goes.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Eh, I have to say I’d like a “none of the above” option and keep the LI list as is. The hospital girl should now require months of rehab (2 years in a coma isn’t beauty sleep) and romancing Aoife’s rival would destroy the friend group, no one should be cool with the MC going for her.

But, all that aside, the game already feels full and complicated (no matter my decisions I go home alone at the end of episode 4 - and I’ve played through from the beginning 3 times), I don’t want the attention and story diluted further just to fit two more people into the list.
That's a fair enough point, I won't disagree that six girls is a pretty large amount, especially for what's supposed to be a short story. I'll admit that she won't have the same function as the other girls. While indeed romanceable I've always planned her more as a catalyst to spark a little mid game change into a few people, we'll see if I can pull it off. I also did take into consideration about the lengthy rehab period and I did plan for it. Your argument has kind of persuaded me though and I just added that third option to the poll, I think it's only fair. And hell if I can turn 9 endings into 8 endings it's a little less stress on my end.

Why is the MC being interrogated by mommy dearest if the relationship is purely platonic?
Without spoiling I'll say that meeting Camilla was vitally important for at least one other person.

It's of course, difficult to give players as much freedom as I'd like while also keeping true to my story, but I'll try my best, and even if I don't succeed here it's always a valuable learning experience for the next one. I appreciate your comments, they really do help me improve as a creator, which makes me happy, and also leads to happier players down the line.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Just FYI for everybody the 4.1 release is up and public on Patreon, I'm sure it will be uploaded here shortly.

Changes from beta:

Various bugs squashed

Textbox returned to improve readability

Slight text modification to imply platonic feelings for Aoife to her mother

Point Requirements removed for Aoife, Lyndie and Chris scenes at the end of Ch4.

Point Requirement for Beatrix lowered slightly at the end of Ch.4

Kim remains the same.

If anything else has cropped up I'll give it a squish and then it's on to working on our next release.

Cheers!

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Just FYI for everybody the 4.1 release is up and public on Patreon, I'm sure it will be uploaded here shortly.

Changes from beta:

Various bugs squashed

Point Requirements removed for Aoife, Lyndie and Chris scenes at the end of Ch4.

Kim remains the same.

If anything else has cropped up I'll give it a squish and then it's on to working on our next release.

Cheers!
Great stuff.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

Changes from beta:

Various bugs squashed

Kim remains the same.

Cheers!
Good to see. Since I've already played through it three times I will just wait until next update to play it again. Though with the sense of imminent doom that pervades the story I think it might be better if the MC stays single. ;)

Reactions: Walter Victor

Blackchip

Apr 22, 2017
That's a fair enough point, I won't disagree that six girls is a pretty large amount, especially for what's supposed to be a short story. I'll admit that she won't have the same function as the other girls. While indeed romanceable I've always planned her more as a catalyst to spark a little mid game change into a few people, we'll see if I can pull it off. I also did take into consideration about the lengthy rehab period and I did plan for it. Your argument has kind of persuaded me though and I just added that third option to the poll, I think it's only fair. And hell if I can turn 9 endings into 8 endings it's a little less stress on my end.

Without spoiling I'll say that meeting Camilla was vitally important for at least one other person.

It's of course, difficult to give players as much freedom as I'd like while also keeping true to my story, but I'll try my best, and even if I don't succeed here it's always a valuable learning experience for the next one. I appreciate your comments, they really do help me improve as a creator, which makes me happy, and also leads to happier players down the line.
Read "The Fallen" summary and was intrigued so I voted for that one, really hoping that it wins.(They both sound great though, just that one caught my eye) But I know that whatever you decide we will get a good story in the end! Great game by the way and hope more people support you after each update.(y)

Reactions: STWAdev

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Good to see. Since I've already played through it three times I will just wait until next update to play it again. Though with the sense of imminent doom that pervades the story I think it might be better if the MC stays single. ;)
... and joins a monastery. Women can get ya killed. They almost did already. :unsure:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
... and joins a monastery. Women can get ya killed. They almost did already. :unsure:
Right? Every update seems to end with an ominous "soon shit flew and then hit the fan" message. Makes me think that perhaps the MC being single will be the only way he gets through it. Besides the fact that I played through it twice trying to focus on various characters and got no one, I figure that was a "sign" that I should just not go for anyone, stay distant, and keep the shell.

Reactions: Walter Victor

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Right? Every update seems to end with an ominous "soon shit flew and then hit the fan" message. Makes me think that perhaps the MC being single will be the only way he gets through it. Besides the fact that I played through it twice trying to focus on various characters and got no one, I figure that was a "sign" that I should just not go for anyone, stay distant, and keep the shell.
I promise no bad endings in this one. I swear that every ending even the end up alone one is happy.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I promise no bad endings in this one. I swear that every ending even the end up alone one is happy.
Well... I don't feel that optimistic (but I'll take your word on it since you're the Dev)... The update ended with an "if I'd known what was coming" type of ominous fog horn of warning. And it doesn't feel like that's the first time you've foreshadowed at the end of an update. Perhaps I am just a pessimist by nature (fuck yeah) or maybe I'm still leery of VN's with dark themes because of Acting Lessons (also fuck yeah), but I am still here for the hidden redhead and the story. Just have to forgive me for thinking I will have to sip whiskey and sob in the corner at the end.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Perhaps I am just a pessimist by nature (fuck yeah) or maybe I'm still leery of VN's with dark themes because of Acting Lessons (also fuck yeah), but I am still here for the hidden redhead and the story. Just have to forgive me for thinking I will have to sip whiskey and sob in the corner at the end.
Totally valid, I won't ever dispute your pessimistic right. I admit there is more darkness coming, but it's all in service of ending with light. "Always darkest before the dawn blah blah blah" I admit I am tempted to hide your redhead to the very end though, but that's just because I'm a sad man.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Totally valid, I won't ever dispute your pessimistic right. I admit there is more darkness coming, but it's all in service of ending with light. "Always darkest before the dawn blah blah blah" I admit I am tempted to hide your redhead to the very end though, but that's just because I'm a sad man.
You can hide her as long as you want, right now I have a no love interest playthrough as my canon. Though I will probably replay the game all the way through next update.

bcrr

May 25, 2019
Well, made it to the weekend with no Android port, but at least I'll have time to play the game on PC now that the week's over. Been dying to play the update, this game is one of my favorites. Didn't mind putting it off too terribly much though, just means a shorter wait for chapter 5 :)

bcrr

May 25, 2019
And hell if I can turn 9 endings into 8 endings it's a little less stress on my end.
Wait, now I'm trying to figure out what ending 8(9) is going to be. 5(6) individual girls, Aoife+Lyndie, none of the above, and... I only count 7(8), is there a poly ending with the whole trio? Thinking I'm going to need another save file.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Wait, now I'm trying to figure out what ending 8(9) is going to be. 5(6) individual girls, Aoife+Lyndie, none of the above, and... I only count 7(8), is there a poly ending with the whole trio? Thinking I'm going to need another save file.
Hmmm... Yeah, 1) Nobody, 2) A+L, 3) B, 4) C, 5) A, 6) K, 7) L.... 8 would be the mystery girl, if introduced, right? Or am I missing someone?

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Hmmm... Yeah, 1) Nobody, 2) A+L, 3) B, 4) C, 5) A, 6) K, 7) L.... 8 would be the mystery girl, if introduced, right? Or am I missing someone?
Each girl will have their own ending so that's 6, throuple is 7, alone is 8 and without details I'll just say that there will be another variant ending, anybody digging in the code will probably figure out what it is in the 6th release.

1 Lone Wolf

Jun 6, 2020
This is one game that I really enjoy playing. The choices that you have are enjoyable and graphically speaking the girls are damn fine looking. Bookmarked this game to follow.
With having choices to make, the one addition that I would really limke to see add would be able to name your saved files. So if I choose a path for Aoife and I save, would like to be able to name that save. Could you please make this change for the next update?

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes