VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
You guys are just the sweetest, this response has really been very lovely. Normally I would respond with a long protracted rant about the previous update, but this time I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I just want you to know how much I love and appreciate everybody taking this journey with me.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
You guys are just the sweetest, this response has really been very lovely. Normally I would respond with a long protracted rant about the previous update, but this time I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I just want you to know how much I love and appreciate everybody taking this journey with me.
Ahhhh... Don't go soft on us! You still have two more games to go and you need to ensure you have a tough skin for all of the inevitable "Where's the redheads?", "Needs more sex scenes", "Where the preggers ladies at?", "Can we fuck that random lady that was in the background for 1 second?", "I hate it when the MC always pulls out", and of course the infamous "Update when?" questions...

Okay, the first one is me...Obviously.

=)

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
Already shit on it earlier but it slams the writing when it's quite clear he read none of the writing.
That's the thing that pisses me off the most about dumb reviews like that. I don't know very many games that I played from this site that have meaningful character development like this game.

I started off hating Kimmy then started being scared of her and finally ended up feeling really sorry for and wanting to help her. It's the same with Bea I really didn't like her at first then after playing her route she became my second favorite character once I found out my first impression of her was all wrong.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Ahhhh... Don't go soft on us! You still have two more games to go and you need to ensure you have a tough skin for all of the inevitable "Where's the redheads?", "Needs more sex scenes", "Where the preggers ladies at?", "Can we fuck that random lady that was in the background for 1 second?", "I hate it when the MC always pulls out", and of course the infamous "Update when?" questions...

Okay, the first one is me...Obviously.

=)
You forgot...want Android and walkthrough lol

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I started off hating Kimmy then started being scared of her and finally ended up feeling really sorry for and wanting to help her. It's the same with Bea I really didn't like her at first then after playing her route she became my second favorite character once I found out my first impression of her was all wrong.
Ahaha you activated my trap card!

Jokes aside that was the journey I wanted people to take. I was pretty adamant even after my first release that all the people who didn't like Kimberly were justified in doing so, I wanted her to be off-putting and hoped that with recontextualization it would make more sense as to her behavior.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
Jokes aside that was the journey I wanted people to take. I was pretty adamant even after my first release that all the people who didn't like Kimberly were justified in doing so, I wanted her to be off-putting and hoped that with recontextualization it would make more sense as to her behavior.
I think it really shows how good your writing is because I think you handled a heavy subject like Mental Illness in a way that was both believable and realistic without going over the top.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I think it really shows how good your writing is because I think you handled a heavy subject like Mental Illness in a way that was both believable and realistic without going over the top.
That's all I wanted, for it to feel believable without hitting disrespectful. Plus it gives you some poetry. Ch.1 you get to "meet" Kimmy. Ch.7 you get to actually meet her.

gr33nappleboy

Jul 18, 2019
And that's what made me pretty annoyed by reading a review that just blatantly shits on the difficulties that each character had to go through along with the unfortunate stigma of having a mental illness. Like Rinbael said, there are only a select few games that are able to maintain overall quality as well as have strong character development as well as you have. You painted a strong picture that mental illness is something that can happen to anyone and isn't something that someone should lose friends over. Everyone has their demons and as the plot developed, they were able to overcome their demons and move forward with their lives

gr33nappleboy

Jul 18, 2019
Ahaha you activated my trap card!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And this is just another example that shows just how well organized and thought out the scenes were. Moments like this where we know TheAuthor (ba-dum-tsss) is paying attention to the story and where everything has a legitimate reason for it. Just yeet that review into oblivion. Lol

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I always liked B but can't say I ever disliked Kimmy.

I did get her illness wrong though, I thought she had either multiple personalities due to how differently she acted or borderline personality disorder. I've never come across anyone with bipolar so that never crossed my mind, then again I don't know much about mental health.

gr33nappleboy

Jul 18, 2019

I did get her illness wrong though, I thought she had either multiple personalities due to how differently she acted or borderline personality disorder. I've never come across anyone with bipolar so that never crossed my mind, then again I don't know much about mental health.
Didn't ever dislike anybody and honestly didn't think too much about the mental illness aspect until it was mentioned much later. I may have had the inkling of her bipolar disorder when it showed her flipping shit in her home but I was too dense and didn't really think to look deeper. I always saw the characters as rather normal with relatable upbringings and the common facade a lot of us put up in public to cover up whatever internal struggle we have

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
multiple personalities
This was an interesting theory, most assumed because of the Kimmy/Kimberly change. That one is based of personal experience. My friend with bipolar often was called by a nickname when we all knew her as youngins. After she was diagnosed and treated she asked us to call her by her real name because the nickname was the name of what she considered a different person.

erkper

May 16, 2018

I recognized the signs in Kimmy very early, I am pretty familiar with the subject as I've dealt with it in my immediate family IRL. (She's much better now, thank God.) TBH that was probably one of the main reasons I pulled away from Kimmy, I feared the burn I knew was coming. There are some things in my life I have no wish to replay in a game... especially when there are other, very interesting options at hand.

gr33nappleboy

Jul 18, 2019
This was an interesting theory, most assumed because of the Kimmy/Kimberly change. That one is based of personal experience. My friend with bipolar often was called by a nickname when we all knew her as youngins. After she was diagnosed and treated she asked us to call her by her real name because the nickname was the name of what she considered a different person.
Entirely believable and what makes the game even more so (y)

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I recognized the signs in Kimmy very early, I am pretty familiar with the subject as I've dealt with it in my immediate family IRL. (She's much better now, thank God.) TBH that was probably one of the main reasons I pulled away from Kimmy, I feared the burn I knew was coming. There are some things in my life I have no wish to replay in a game... especially when there are other, very interesting options at hand.
I don’t have irl experience with bipolar disorder but I do have more than enough with other mental health issues. I knew something was off and steered clear, I played the MC similar to how I would handle it - be there but not with my dick in the fire... I always want to help people when I can in or out of games. Gets me in a lot of trouble... Mostly worth it... in and out of games.

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Is this game near-complete?

Before you tell me to go read the previous posts, I want to avoid spoilers and if the game is near completion there's bound to be some.

BarbarrossaNA

Sep 10, 2019
I've been asking for months for them to let us facepalm dumb reviews and that latest review is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever read.

Already shit on it earlier but it slams the writing when it's quite clear he read none of the writing.

Remember the good days, long before Covid came along when the world was free and sense was common.

Then the world went to shit, sense became an endangered species and I haven't seen the outside world properly for months.
For somebody who writes as crappy as a couple reviews have stated I've got say you've somehow tripped, stumbled and fumbled your way into a magnificent handling of a serious issue.. that being mental illness. I was going to call out a reviewer by name but honestly that serves no purpose other then to start a pissing contest that nobody wins. Let's just say there is a wide discrepancy in the opinions written and I have to go with the more positive ones.

I've enjoyed this story and as I see it coming up on it's final hurrah I feel a bit sad. One gets attached to the charactors as they are fleshed out.. at least I have. Honestly I also can see a lot more that could be done if the DEV decides he wants to go further. But be that as it may I will say that even as this one ends I am soo looking forward to what STWAdev brings us next.

Keep up the stellar work my friend, I'll be waiting.

And as a shoutout to MrFriendly.. "Where's the redheads?"

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes