VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
T
Hey all, been some time since I came into this thread, wanted to share a little news. As most of you know I've moved onto Unbroken since this game wrapped up, but there's still some work I've been putting into this puppy when I can find the time. My inexperience early on has led to a certain unhappiness with my little debut game. As the desire is to move the complete Author onto Steam I wanted to make sure I put my best foot forward this time, and have slowly been doing a little remastering. This is not a story update of any kind, just a bit of art and character facelift as well as a little bit of fixing for the code. This will be the version that goes to Steam, when it's ready. Right now Chapters 1-4 are completely remastered, but I can't tell you when the other 3 will be. I'm really only able to put a little work into this on my days off as Unbroken is the priority during work time. When it's much closer to finished I'll hop in here and give you another little update.
Until then I figured I would pop a little glimpse at the remastered LI's of the game. Take care all.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you for waiting til after the completion. So many devs could stand to learn that :)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you for waiting til after the completion. So many devs could stand to learn that :)
So much this.

I don't think devs understand just how downright annoying and pointless it is to remaster that 0.2 that barely has any content and people just want to see more of.

Even worse when devs take years to remaster something that barely had anything to it to begin with.

I hate remasters that are done during development, I hate them so fucking much.

HornyyPussy

Devoted Member
Apr 26, 2020
So much this.

I don't think devs understand just how downright annoying and pointless it is to remaster that 0.2 that barely has any content and people just want to see more of.

Even worse when devs take years to remaster something that barely had anything to it to begin with.

Please my Queen, tell us how you really feel :love:

• Haha
Reactions: Avaron1974

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Please my Queen, tell us how you really feel :love:
I'll tell you how I feel.

Game called Underboss Life.

Got to 0.2, good game, dev says "i'm remastering it" when it didn't need it to start with. Fine, whatever....

That was at the start of last year. The Patreon has been dead since April, the game has made no progress in nearly 2 years and people are in the thread like "the dev is making a full remaster, that takes time" .... a full remaster of a 0.2 that only took a few months to do...

Do these people realise just how gullible they look to everyone else?

I swear, if they lived in the Antarctic you'd still be able to sell snow to them.

Devs like this I fucking love. Completes a game. Not only that but it's a game people absolutely love. Not only does he complete a game people absolutely love but he goes back at the end to remaster the images and tweak things a bit. That is a job worth praising.

Having 2 years with nothing to show for it and a weaker defence than Bob Sapp is not a good look.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Got to 0.2, good game, dev says "i'm remastering it" when it didn't need it to start with. Fine, whatever....
I think it is important for a dev to be able to accept that the game is never going to be perfect. And that is fine. Otherwise there is always going to be the case that dev learns new stuff and with that knowledge could have done previous scenes better and thus there is the temptation to go back and improve stuff instead of looking forward to next chapters.

HornyyPussy

Devoted Member
Apr 26, 2020
I'll tell you how I feel.

Game called Underboss Life.

That was at the start of last year. The Patreon has been dead since April, the game has made no progress in nearly 2 years and people are in the thread like "the dev is making a full remaster, that takes time" .... a full remaster of a 0.2 that only took a few months to do...

Do these people realise just how gullible they look to everyone else?

I swear, if they lived in the Antarctic you'd still be able to sell snow to them.

Devs like this I fucking love. Completes a game. Not only that but it's a game people absolutely love. Not only does he complete a game people absolutely love but he goes back at the end to remaster the images and tweak things a bit. That is a job worth praising.

Having 2 years with nothing to show for it and a weaker defence than Bob Sapp is not a good look.
Yeah, that is just stoopid! Or it is one HELL of a remaster.......

Yepp, quite fond of STWA, to bad neither of us swings his way ;)

And did you just make a Bob Sapp reference to the Dev of Unbroken? Respect!! :)

• Haha

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
So much this.

or at 0.4 with no much of content and then later rework is at 0.9 and figuring what things to do where and when is more or less difficult.

I think it is important for a dev to be able to accept that the game is never going to be perfect. And that is fine. Otherwise there is always going to be the case that dev learns new stuff and with that knowledge could have done previous scenes better and thus there is the temptation to go back and improve stuff instead of looking forward to next chapters.
yea there will be always newer gen of graphics and other toys to play so game finished 2 years ago won't look as pretty as game in making today.

Shyguy1369

Dec 14, 2018
So much this.

First, I fucking love you. If I didn't have a girlfriend, and you weren't a lesbian, I would definitely propose to you lol

Second, I whole heartedly agree. I have seen remasters done when not needed. I get that a Dev wants to put their best work out. However, complete the game and work on remastering it during free time or as Stew is doing, while working on another game entirely.

STWAdev I believe I said this on Discord already, but I love the new looks for the LIs. Just subtle changes in some, but B and Kim for me are definitely the most polished looking. I thought Lyndie and Aoife were just about perfect before and now, smokin'. Chris and Dru (and I like Dru not sus for me) look brilliant. Looking forward to all the updated artwork and will definitely play through again once it's completed. Until then, I love me some Amrit and Vi (and enjoy the rest too) in Unbroken. So keep up the great work.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
So much this.

Hey! It beats having to come up with plot development when you're run out of ideas... or maybe not!

cebs

Engaged Member
Game Compressor
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
Here's my unofficial android port of Something To Write About: The Author Ch 7.1
with IAmAB Reworked Mod

Download

Last edited:

Lillen B.

Oct 18, 2017
Hot damn! What an epic story. I was wondering why Avaron1974, the resident lesbian, was recommending a male protag game... I can see why now: the world building, character development and interpersonal relationships really make this story shine. The lewds are, honestly, just a nice attache, imo. I didn't even mind the male MC, he's so indistinct anyway, I found myself just kinda ignoring him, lol. That said, a FemC would be cool, but whatever.

If I had to pick a favorite character, it would have to be Kimbo. She had the capacity to be weird, confusing, funny, charming, soul-rending, and scary, all in the same body. And even though she has a totally logical, rational explanation for her worldly troubles in her
I can't help but sense a deeper layer to her character. It feels to me like she's some sort of weird, magical, guardian faerie creature sent from somewhere to absolve all the PC's sins and troubles and help him heal by being a mirror of him. As the MC recovers and emerges from depression, she becomes
That said, Ash is easily the most physically beautiful of the entire cast, imo, and
Kimbo definitely most interesting NPC, though.

Fantastic game. Would recommend. Well done!

minoslune

Aug 17, 2017
I just finished this game tonight and it was AMAZING, the characters were really loveable, and the situations were interesting enough to keep me going, Thank you so much for this novel.
Just one question, guys. At the start of one of the last chapters I saw that Marie was making an appearance and well it seemed like she was going to come back and do something. I just finished the game choosing Lyndie for the ending and I didnt see Marie ever being mentioned again.Does she appear on a specific route or option only?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I just finished this game tonight and it was AMAZING, the characters were really loveable, and the situations were interesting enough to keep me going, Thank you so much for this novel.
Just one question, guys. At the start of one of the last chapters I saw that Marie was making an appearance and well it seemed like she was going to come back and do something. I just finished the game choosing Lyndie for the ending and I didnt see Marie ever being mentioned again.Does she appear on a specific route or option only?
She doesn't appear.

She was only mentioned to show she had never given a single shit about him. Confronting her wouldn't have done any good, she'd moved on long before they split up and it would have ended up worse for him.

I know some people like to get their own back on people that have wronged them but when that person doesn't care about what happened when he nearly died, there are no words that could have been said to make him feel better.

The only point to her being mentioned was that she'd got famous so she never even stopped to think about what she'd done to him. To her, he was irrelevant.

Reactions: MV_1999 and Jumbi

minoslune

Aug 17, 2017
She doesn't appear.

She was only mentioned to show she had never given a single shit about him. Confronting her wouldn't have done any good, she'd moved on long before they split up and it would have ended up worse for him.

I know some people like to get their own back on people that have wronged them but when that person doesn't care about what happened when he nearly died, there are no words that could have been said to make him feel better.

The only point to her being mentioned was that she'd got famous so she never even stopped to think about what she'd done to him. To her, he was irrelevant.
Thats understandable, thanks for the answer! I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing out on something important.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
did you meet lyndie's sister?

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes