MyNameChef123

Oct 2, 2017
Jesus mate, you couldn't have been more pretentious about something that YOU clearly don't know anything about if you tried.

Games bigger than this have been finished faster and with a much smaller budget.
That is not to say that this game isn't good or that the quality is bad, but to sit here and pretend that common sim game with 2d images is some kind of herculean task is ridiculous.

All of those things that you just said are literally the bare minimum for ANY game. As fun as Something Unlimited is, it is not breaking any new grounds as far as game development goes.
Lets not pretend this is some literary masterpiece and that SR is spending sleepless nights writing Shakespearean dialogue or plotlines.

I mean, fucks sake, the main complaint recently isn't even the speed, it is just that he promised something and failed to deliver. That has nothing to do with how much effort a game takes and more to do with coordinated project management.

Argument aside tho, I really think he should get help to do the more menial stuff in the game so he can focus on what people actually care about the game for, which is the art.
Too many of these patreon games have this problem where the person involved just wants to be a one-man army while making more money than an entire indie-game team.
well said lad, couldnt agree more

• Angry
Reactions: Testerguy19
Oct 31, 2017
Well shit guys, I'm sorry.

I know I came in here wanting older game versions because I was genuinely baffled as how some of these bugs were coming about (but if Fungus is the actual tool being used, well that confirms a couple of thoughts I'd had). But after reading an update that effectively read as "Sunset couldn't figure out how to un-break everything, so here's a less broken version with less stuff in it," it's pretty clear that I went and invoked the gosh-durned monkey's paw with my talk.

So I'm really sorry for that. I mean, I'm probably getting what I asked for, but that's not fair to you guys. And as penance, I'm going to go off to my little corner and build that Win7 image I'd been really trying to avoid, as I can't seem to find and Unity extractors or de-compilers for Linux. Dagnabbit.

LOGhetto

Nov 8, 2017
The idea that Cumtoke thinks he needs the resources of Unity to make a [checks notes] management sim with image slideshows just proves he really, really really shouldn't be using Unity. This was a game perfect for Ren'py or even Twine. Very low resource usage, very simple coding. Persisting in Unity at this point is several years of sunk cost fallacy.

And we're not pirates, we're beta testers that are smart enough to not pay for the privilege. Guntbloke should be thanking us to be honest.
Gotta agree, seems incredibly asinine to make a game like this through Unity especially when nothing unique is coming out of it.

Reactions: Ixiah and pinkie96

claralover

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
he might as well just give us a powerpoint file at this rate, it would be far more stable than this shithole he's created.

MyNameChef123

Oct 2, 2017
damn this website has the biggest babies ever lol
"active member" cant wait to hear how many years of programming experience you have lad while backing the updates, SU has impecible art but you cant agree that hes worked enough years typin prog that his income equates to anything worth the patron numbers, baffles me what some people can consume but if this is what some of your projects take id understand your income that way bud

Spidermen23

Jun 6, 2018
Baiscy my whole point, I'm not say if you don't pay you can't have an opinion I'm saying, at the end of the day it's a fan project and its very exsistanc is due to one maybe 2 dudes work, and to complain about something that's a fan project without even having the legs to stand on that you payed money into it is super entitled. Like its the same as an animator puts out a cartoon out of their own time and energy, and put a donation bar saying this would help me pay my bills so I can do things like this without worrying about finachal dept, then suddenly when the cartoon doesn't come out on the time frame of people who never really had any say or useful contribution to it go around talking about how shitty they are for doing art for free.

MyNameChef123

Oct 2, 2017
Baiscy my whole point, I'm not say if you don't pay you can't have an opinion I'm saying, at the end of the day it's a fan project and its very exsistanc is due to one maybe 2 dudes work, and to complain about something that's a fan project without even having the legs to stand on that you payed money into it is super entitled. Like its the same as an animator puts out a cartoon out of their own time and energy, and put a donation bar saying this would help me pay my bills so I can do things like this without worrying about finachal dept, then suddenly when the cartoon doesn't come out on the time frame of people who never really had any say or useful contribution to it go around talking about how shitty they are for doing art for free.
yeah i see your point man i really do, however youve got to consider that some of the folk complaining are folk that were removed from the discord that was made to (hopefully) encourage more people to donate and also old patrons that gave up on it. This is one of the only spaces people can vent their upset with the client in this case as the discord doesnt really allow much criticism due to mod removals, though i get that if youre a patron it could annoy you that people on F95zone get a free version of the game, these are the real public opinions. which makes them just as valuable as your clients opinions in business. not having a go at you just saying that there is a rationale for these complaints.

Ravs

Sep 2, 2018
MAN! WHAT AN UPDATE!

This dev, is single handedly the reason I don't support devs on patreon. To think Good Girl Gone Bad was made by one person, had branching story lines and multiple scenes per monthly update, it's amazing this guy couldn't do 16 scenes in 3 months. Not to mention it'll be April before the new update. Stop supporting these fucks.

NSoull

Mar 2, 2017
You lose the right to pretend this is some "amateur fan project" when you are pulling almost 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS PER MONTH.
At this point, this has a bigger budget than a lot of professional projects.

With the amount of money coming into this, it is impossible to justify the fact that he won't expand his team with veteran programmers/managers.

If this is to be treated just as a hobby then why not limit the patreon to a much smaller amount?
The moment you start taking money from people, now there is an expectation and a promise you have to meet.

You also don't know how many people have here, in fact, paid his patreon.

LordMerek

Romance & Redemption Enthusiast
Donor
Aug 22, 2018
What a dogshit update, this is a new low from sunset. I hope they lose a good chunk of patreons because of this, they don't deserve this shit.
I wouldn't have put it so crudely, but I agree. This is a huge letdown and probably the first time a sex scene has not been included (I don't count Audrey because I could've sworn she already had a sex scene in the Cell). So much for finishing every character before the end of the year.

somebody28

Mar 10, 2018
A lot of people in this thread don't seem very bright and clearly have trouble in understanding how developing a game like that works let me sprincle some truth your way. The more costumes a character has the more difficult becomes the update. The more unique are the new interactions or the way might change the game. Every consutme means extra work.
So unlike what tons of people are saying, you're not actually wrong here - the game currently is built in a way that requires each scene/costume combination to have its own fully drawn image. That means that if Lex has 3 costumes and Miss Martian has 5, that means that they'll draw 15 full versions of each sex scene. This means that each new interaction and costume requires increasing amounts of work. Edit: I looked through the game files a while ago and this used to be the case, but apparently it isn't any more?

Criticism isn't totally wrong though: the game didn't have to be written this way. They could have figured out different ways to use and reuse assets to make creating new scenes a streamlined process while also cutting down on disk space requirements. However, the team probably didn't identify this as a problem right away - and now, they'd have to rework a truly massive number of content to get it to work. The worst part is that the longer they continue without doing a rehaul, the more work it's going to take. The general term for this is 'tech debt'.

The patreon model is actually hurting them here - they're constantly in a rush to push out more and more content, so they can't justify taking the time to concentrate on backend without visible results. It's not a trivial problem. I think that the team deserves some pretty hefty criticism for getting into this position, but you have to acknoledge that now that we're here, it's not something that can be fixed overnight.

If I were in charge of the team, I'd dedicate some time to figuring out a more sustainable approach to art and start implementing it immediately. I'd make sure all new art uses the scalable system, and slowly rework the backlog of old content over the next year or so while continuing to put out new stuff at a slightly slower rate. (They could be doing this already, idk)

Last edited:

NSoull

Mar 2, 2017
I wouldn't have put it so crudely, but I agree. This is a huge letdown and probably the first time a sex scene has not been included (I don't count Audrey because I could've sworn she already had a sex scene in the Cell). So much for finishing every character before the end of the year.
I don't know if it is just me, but aren't a lot of scenes starting to look like... recycled? I swear some stuff is starting to look like asset flips from other scenes. I am not on my pc right now so I can't take pics to compare.
If nobody else noticed, then it is was probably just in my head and I retract this comment.

The patreon model is actually hurting them here - they're constantly in a rush to push out more and more content, so they can't justify taking the time to concentrate on backend without visible results. It's not a trivial problem. I think that the team deserves some pretty hefty criticism for getting into this position, but you have to acknoledge that now that we're here, it's not something that can be fixed overnight.
I disagree on this point. The patreon model isn't at fault. If this was the problem, they could simply change their patreon to a "pay per update" rather than a "pay per month" format. Assuming they haven't already, of course. I haven't kept up with their patreon for a while.

Reactions: Product Placement

LordMerek

Romance & Redemption Enthusiast
Donor
Aug 22, 2018
I don't know if it is just me, but aren't a lot of scenes starting to look like... recycled? I swear some stuff is starting to look like asset flips from other scenes. I am not on my pc right now so I can't take pics to compare.
If nobody else noticed, then it is was probably just in my head and I retract this comment.
it wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't played in a while as I waiting for this (Disappointing) update.

claralover

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
So unlike what tons of people are saying, you're not actually wrong here - the game currently is built in a way that requires each scene/costume combination to have its own fully drawn image. That means that if Lex has 3 costumes and Miss Martian has 5, that means that they'll draw 15 full versions of each sex scene. This means that each new interaction and costume requires increasing amounts of work.

That being said, the game didn't have to be written this way. They could have figured out different ways to use and reuse assets to make creating new scenes a streamlined process while also cutting down on disk space requirements. However, the team probably didn't identify this as a problem right away - and now, they'd have to rework a truly massive number of content to get it to work. The worst part is that the longer they continue without doing a rehaul, the more work it's going to take. The general term for this is 'tech debt'.

If I were in charge of the team, I'd dedicate some time to figuring out a more sustainable approach to art and start implementing it immediately. I'd make sure all new art uses the scalable system, and slowly rework the backlog of old content over the next year or so while continuing to put out new stuff at a slightly slower rate. (They could be doing this already, idk)
its basically a grave that sunset dug himself, so while it is true that the system is designed poorly, its also the system that sunset made himself. He can only blame himself for this clusterfuck he created.

SteamPunk777

Apr 2, 2019
Disappointing update but this topic's been beaten to death already.

In SW's vault of scenes, I have one 'locked' under 'blowjob' and one 'locked' on the top left of the second page (not greyed out but coloured in). Anyone else have these? I didn't think I was missing anything SW wise.

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the update.
I am a bit disappointed that we didn't get full WW and SW contents.
Hopefully, the next update would have their basic cell animations finished and start on Zatanna/Cat woman storylines.

Bug report: Audrey's new scenes while she wears the maid costume seem to be bugged; I only see her eyes, mouth, hoohoo, and ass.

4.10 star(s) 158 Votes