Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Witcher123's reply is pretty similar to what I would've said. Also wanna preface this saying I'm not a coder but have done some background research into coding languages behind both. If I am incorrect on anything please call me out.

Like yes there isn't anything wrong with Unity, it's just that I don't really understand why it's being used for this game when you can use a much simpler software to develop this game, especially since the dev is still having troubles developing on it. RENPY runs on Python, which from my understanding is meant to be easier to develop with. As I believe that coding issues is what was stated to be the main reasons for the bottleneck in the development cycle for this game, the dev might find it easier to develop on RENPY. The income system (heists/bordello/strip club), the sex scenes/gallery, the map and open world function can from what I've seen be done in RENPY based on games listed on this site, and there most likely exists templates and tutorials to do each one considering how many RENPY games have these functions or something similar. Heck, some of the best animated sex scenes I've seen from games on this site have been from RENPY games, so I don't think adding a paralax scrolling system would be impossible.

The biggest consideration as to why a move to RENPY would improve the game currently is because of the save functions and gallery. With RENPY you can pretty much have as many save slots as you want, a large improvement from the existing 3 slots and (I believe) more easily set up a replay system with the gallery function, which currently just gives you either a still image(aside from the scrolling) or scenes that are repeatable as is. Again, all of these seem to come with the function built into the system (ie you can type gallery in and I believe you just need to choose which scenes to load) and there are tutorials to do these on youtube.
Yes, Ren'Py can probably be used for a game like this (with some limitations maybe), I am not sure if it supports enhanced image handling like animated moving overlays, but let's just assume that's possible. But trust me: If he's having trouble coding with Unity, he will also have problems coding in Ren'Py, maybe even more, since it has less protection agains coding errors (as we have seen in plenty of games). I have taken a look at some Ren'Py games about how variables are handled and it's a horror for everyone who is used to write complex programs.

Both gallery and saving can be done just the same way in any other language, the limitation here is a decision, not a limitation by Unity. But yes, I would prefer the standard handling over what he did here. Savegames in the registry ... I had a hard time to believe that. The good thing about it is probably that this way you can save every single step without worrying aout stressing your hard drive. Windows handles the registry cache.
Im not saying that Unity or Ren'Py are better suited. I'm saying it's lot of work to switch.

If you want to know the "why" he decided for Unity, you best write the dev a message (just ask nicely what his reasons were to choose one over the other, without you think it was a bad decision. No one likes to hear that). I could only tell you why "I" would prefer a high level language over a script engine. Usually the answer to such a question is "At that time it seemed like a good decision" or "I know that language, but not the other one.". In my case an additional reason would be that the software needs to be reliable. I don't know if ren'py supports something like Unit- or e2e-Tests, where you create and run automated tests of all your functions before a release. For my line of work those are essential.
For something as simple as a visual novel I would probably go for such a system however.

Ren'Py has been around for quite a while, but only recently it became very popular for simple novel style games. Before that, Unity was the way to go, even for simple games like the ones we see here. Unity is a whole other level, you have so many more options there, it's hard to decide where to start. It all depends on the goal you set for yourself in which directions your software should go.

About the "why not switch", there is two counter questions: Is it worth the huge amount of work and trouble? And question two: Would the patroens be willing to pay for that time without getting anything new?

Oct 25, 2018
So I've looked back at some of the comments, saw that the development cycle got kinda fucked but couldn't find the answer to this: Is there a reason this game is still being developed on unity instead of RENPY? Like this game really doesn't have so many functions that it couldn't run on RENPY or a VN system based on other games that are on this site.
Because the game is build with FUNGUS a plugin for Unity that involves the less "coding" possible. Is a tool desinged for people with little to no experience. Unless there is something similar in RenPy i don't see GG doing the switc.

Barkin 10

Dec 27, 2016
With all the pissing and moaning that went on because they were late with the last update in this forum, can you imagine the outcry that would happen if they suddenly announced that there would be no updates for the first 2/3 of next year while they tried to convert everything in the game over to Renpy?

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
k im at the start somewhere

--i always do some 5 or so upgrades in tanks room... but no idea what does it do . it just informs aabout possible need of downgrading caz something is locked
--also what to do with npcs who snooping around some building
i went to defense area (caz i assumed it will be in threats with option to deal somehow) for now i will use 'post villain' in that area
--what is henchwoman purpose? just to unlock some scenes with chosen npc?
--how to set dancers. blond girl passed dancing stage (i think,just caz bj opene) but i cannot move her figurine to that slot

anyways, it is unity, are saves editable? (how to save on 2-3 slots?) though dunno what to cheat besides maxing stats for example. (if needed)

Last edited:

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
k im at the start somewhere

--i always do some 5 or so upgrades in tanks room... but no idea what does it do . it just informs aabout possible need of downgrading caz something is locked
--also what to do with npcs who snooping around some building
i went to defense area (caz i assumed it will be in threats with option to deal somehow) for now i will use 'post villain' in that area
--what is henchwoman purpose? just to unlock some scenes with chosen npc?

anyways, it is unity, are saves editable? (how to save on 2-3 slots?) though dunno what to cheat besides maxing stats for example. (if needed)
The saves are editable using regedit, since they are stored in the registry. Currently you choose one slot, the game only autosaves. Manual saving (or choosing a different slot) is not possible.
Henchwomen are only needed to trigger certain events.
Once you get a heroine into a cells, you need to downgrade/reset her device to release her again.

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
The saves are editable using regedit, since they are stored in the registry. Currently you choose one slot, the game only autosaves. Manual saving (or choosing a different slot) is not possible.
Henchwomen are only needed to trigger certain events.
Once you get a heroine into a cells, you need to downgrade/reset her device to release her again.
not sure i did that previously with any game
any need to release any? or can i just keep full-upgrading?
how to set dancers. blond girl passed dancing stage (i think,just caz bj opene) but i cannot move her figurine to any empty slot
hot to get 2nd and 3rd trio of heroins. cannot grab any new as not listed rn.; i read abit...i need a bar girl...for that i need ivy...for that i need some prison evvent with npc which should be in cell but ihave never seen. ...and for mercy i need to progress with lex takeover ...which requires me progressing with mercy... :mad:

Last edited:

UnwiseArts

Mar 6, 2020
With all the pissing and moaning that went on because they were late with the last update in this forum, can you imagine the outcry that would happen if they suddenly announced that there would be no updates for the first 2/3 of next year while they tried to convert everything in the game over to Renpy?
As opposed to the massive delays that are going to happen anyway, without the benefit of getting a Renpy port?

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
not sure i did that previously with any game
any need to release any? or can i just keep full-upgrading?
how to set dancers. blond girl passed dancing stage (i think,just caz bj opene) but i cannot move her figurine to any empty slot
hot to get 2nd and 3rd trio of heroins. cannot grab any new as not listed rn.; i read abit...i need a bar girl...for that i need ivy...for that i need some prison evvent with npc which should be in cell but ihave never seen. ...and for mercy i need to progress with lex takeover ...which requires me progressing with mercy... :mad:
Well, if you want to see their scenes in the shack, bordello and private room, then they need to be out of their cells. Many of those have not been implemented yet, so it's your choice if you want to progress with the cell scenes or wait.

I don't remember how the prison event was triggered. But I know that for Mercy at some point it was necessary to do some heists.
Don't focus on one thing. Keep stealing shit and visit places. And don't unlock characters with the cheat menu, that can mess up a lot. Only do that if you SHOULD have unlocked a char but didn't.

YoraeRasante

Jul 28, 2019
Because the game is build with FUNGUS a plugin for Unity that involves the less "coding" possible. Is a tool desinged for people with little to no experience. Unless there is something similar in RenPy i don't see GG doing the switc.
Ok, I did not hear of this tool before... mainly because most of my use of unity involved putting my computer science to use and thus I coded more than anything else...

But this explains everything for me.

Why he does not change to ren'py, since as much as it is easy for other games with just basic things like this one has it still needs some python knowledge.
Why it is so heavy, both in size and on how it needs some loading time whenever I change scenes (very likely each cell may even be a different scene instead of just changing the girl in it and the options). As I suspected, he probably does not even know what he added to the game that is weighting it down and can be removed with no issues (when you create a new unity project, there are some plugins/extensions that can be added automatically depending on your choices).

Since the plugin would do the coding for him, it is very likely it is functional but many things are not efficient.

But if he hired a programmer to refactor, it may either block the plugin from his use later, or the plugin could undo what the programmer did on the very next version.

So the only solutions would be either he learns proper coding instead of using the plugin, at least to use things that are more efficient but also harder to use, even if to use other things like ren'py instead if he wants to,
or have a dedicated coder, which would very likely mean a portion of the patreon.

Reactions: Testerguy19

amancito

Feb 6, 2021
He could hire a developer for two or three months for 25% of what he is making in Patreon. In three months a competent developer should be able to port this whole game to Ren'Py. And then for the updates he could just pay a few hundred $ to any developer. But then he would not be able to say "coding problems" whenever he felt like not working. And of course we would have amazing mods made by great people, but that is another story.

Last edited:

JJJ4544

Nov 26, 2017
My dear owner of this site, i come to say, some downloads have virus, my browser alert. Can you solve this, please?

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
My dear owner of this site, i come to say, some downloads have virus, my browser alert. Can you solve this, please?
"some" ... which ones?

I download here without problems from different sites. These sites however sometimes besides the actual download file use scripts that lead to other advertising sites.
You need to pay attention wherer you click and/or use third party tools to avoid that.

Incognymous

May 6, 2017
"some" ... which ones?

I download here without problems from different sites. These sites however sometimes besides the actual download file use scripts that lead to other advertising sites.
You need to pay attention wherer you click and/or use third party tools to avoid that.
*cough*Anonfiles *cough*

• Haha
Reactions: Jujitsism123
4.00 star(s) 157 Votes