Zane11

Oct 31, 2021
Let me throw my hat in the ring with regards to this game's tech stack: it's going to be this game's downfall.

The Unity build used for the game dates from 2015. It's already impossible to open the game in any supported Mac OS, and yet they persist in releasing new versions. For the unaware Windows folks, it's as if the game wouldn't run on Windows 10 and we were told *just run the game under Windows Vista, it works there*. The Fungus plugin used to enhance Unity is clearly abandoned by its developers (the last update 10 months ago was a mere three lines of code ). The game has ballooned to 12 gigs, which is so much space at some point they're bound to hit a size ceiling for an old 32-bit Unity project.

It would take only a single errant Windows security update for the game to stop running at all on Windows. Their tech stack is that fragile. What will be their reaction then: don't install the OS updates you need to stay secure? The history of their Mac support indicates they'll put the onus on users. Once that happens, Patreons might finally get woken up and start leaving the project if they can't run the game on Windows.

As a matter of fact, does the game even run properly on 64-bit Windows 11?

Anyway, hats off to the good people working on the ren'PY SU fan project. I hope they come running to you once their game burns and crashes. You can then ask for a ton of money to take over the engine aspect of the game.
You are correct, but with the way this game is being developed, can you imagine how long a build switch would take..? I'd say many months, possibly more than a year... And during that time, there will probably be no updates at all.

The only way I could see this working is if they hire an external partner to "transfer" the game to a new build, while they keep working on their current version. Kind of like the Renpy fan project, which as far as I understand is being done for free.

SoulFoZoid

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2017
I'm always a bit surprised about how this entire game seems to be hardcoded. Like, there are so many bugs in this game that can only exist cause he literally writes each button seperately... Imagine having to make the same 6 buttons like 20 times. That's a lot of extra work for something you could just do once really, and looking at the bug fixes in the changelog, it does indeed seem like the majority of them are caused 100% because he manually has to remember to add everything everywhere, instead of just running some adaptable block of bugfree code.

I love the game tho. 5 stars. It's just the fact that everything seems hard coded that baffels me. Even just rewriting the entire thing from hard coded to what it should be would take maybe a good 2 hours - and that's only cause there are so many girls to go through.
He is more competent than Yandere dev with his code and Sunset knows it's flaws that's why he is working on Bob2 and it's more stable than before.
Fungus was the reason I chose another visual novel plugin in Unity made by Japanese developer. It's UTAGE and while it was hard to get past the google translate documentation, it's features are what made my game be extra polished once it's released with all the game systems added.
The problem with Game development is once you chose the starting point, updating the engine version OR plugin is the worst decision you can do and most stay on their version until the game is completed.
The pro is that all the other people who still use old computers can have it be workable.

Oh and regarding Sunset hardcoding it's not really that he make containers and duplicate those containers if he did lots of nodes like the gallery system breaking the scene that references the other scenes will also break all the scenes.

The buttons are all duplicated of the existing container and not checked until they play test it because somehow on his end it all works.

The biggest problem is bugs appearing only for the players that are playing the game.

Reason is Fungus and not proper testing and not enough will power to do deep work.

But to be honest what other DC cartoon game with this many characters exists?

He has a unique product and people keep visiting here each update.

He is doing everything right on his end to get funded and while people still pay him he will work on the game.

Cozmos

May 30, 2017
Why is there no longer a Mega.nz link to download the game? my net is slow and I can't download 2gb in 1 go from browser

Lipao12

Jun 12, 2022
friends help me and the first time I play the game but the screen is black marcy does not appear only the dialogs and the city has white squares can you help me

Leroy2012

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2021
He is more competent than Yandere dev with his code and Sunset knows it's flaws that's why he is working on Bob2 and it's more stable than before.
Fungus was the reason I chose another visual novel plugin in Unity made by Japanese developer. It's UTAGE and while it was hard to get past the google translate documentation, it's features are what made my game be extra polished once it's released with all the game systems added.
The problem with Game development is once you chose the starting point, updating the engine version OR plugin is the worst decision you can do and most stay on their version until the game is completed.
The pro is that all the other people who still use old computers can have it be workable.

Oh and regarding Sunset hardcoding it's not really that he make containers and duplicate those containers if he did lots of nodes like the gallery system breaking the scene that references the other scenes will also break all the scenes.

The buttons are all duplicated of the existing container and not checked until they play test it because somehow on his end it all works.

The biggest problem is bugs appearing only for the players that are playing the game.

Reason is Fungus and not proper testing and not enough will power to do deep work.

But to be honest what other DC cartoon game with this many characters exists?

He has a unique product and people keep visiting here each update.

He is doing everything right on his end to get funded and while people still pay him he will work on the game.
... But point still stands that 90% of the bugs are due to him hard coding - or I suppose copying - code over and over, instead of just reusing code. He could literally make sure most of the bugs he encounters never happens again. Good example is the exhibition where room 1 doesn't work, while 2 and 3 does. You could literally make them all run the same code (as in, exactly the same), with different parameters. So if one is bugfree, they all are. But he clearly copy pastes them, and since he is a human, that means he will always have cases where he just forgets to add or remove stuff.

The rest of your comment is just comparing him to other people and saying it's a big game... Which is sorta irrelevant? I'm not hating on the guy. I'm just saying he could cut down development time by a lot while doing even less work, simply by coding the game in a decent way.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
... But point still stands that 90% of the bugs are due to him hard coding - or I suppose copying - code over and over, instead of just reusing code. He could literally make sure most of the bugs he encounters never happens again. Good example is the exhibition where room 1 doesn't work, while 2 and 3 does. You could literally make them all run the same code (as in, exactly the same), with different parameters. So if one is bugfree, they all are. But he clearly copy pastes them, and since he is a human, that means he will always have cases where he just forgets to add or remove stuff.

The rest of your comment is just comparing him to other people and saying it's a big game... Which is sorta irrelevant? I'm not hating on the guy. I'm just saying he could cut down development time by a lot while doing even less work, simply by coding the game in a decent way.
My understanding is he doesn’t hard code anything because he doesn’t code anything. You’re right that it’s all duplicated, but that’s just how fungus generates the code. He’s just using a gui to string everything together and hitting export

Reactions: Jimwalrus

Leroy2012

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2021
My understanding is he doesn’t hard code anything because he doesn’t code anything. You’re right that it’s all duplicated, but that’s just how fungus generates the code. He’s just using a gui to string everything together and hitting export
For real? I swear he has talked on stream about writing C++ earlier on in life... And from what I can see, he must almost be using more time on fixing the bugs than he saves just exporting code. That's really... Something, if that's true.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
For real? I swear he has talked on stream about writing C++ earlier on in life... And from what I can see, he must almost be using more time on fixing the bugs than he saves just exporting code. That's really... Something, if that's true.
Like I said, that’s my under of how this all works. I’ve heard him talk about not coding at all in the past.

That’s why the bugs are so weird and hard to debug. It’s why he doesn’t fix typos, because he doesn’t want to open up sections of the game that are otherwise working and generate new, weird bugs.

He’s talked about the fungus devs being shocked this thing works at all on that version of fungus and it’s impossible to upgrade to a newer version without starting from scratch. BoB2 is built in a newer version that is less buggy.

It could all be an excuse for why he barely releases content and is instead lazy. But I find the old adage true, “never ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by incompetence.” In this case he couldn’t code well enough to make a game so he used a tool that turns out sucks and won’t rebuild it all. But the explanation fits the circumstances for me.

I don’t excuse his issues, they’re of his own creation and stubbornness, but they explain why it is pretty well for me.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 157 Votes