bshippers

Mar 14, 2018
What is your definition of 'slowing down' in terms of FPS?
Well this laptop is getting pretty old now, with an i7-4770K and a GTX980 card but by the time I hit 800 slaves with the game open for half an hour it was something like 5 fps. It was much more reasonable around 500 slaves but I didn't do a proper FPS test. I'll delete a bunch of slaves tonight and see if the situation improves and if I can measure the FPS.

Fate3D

Mar 18, 2019
without a file extension i can't either execute it or run it in a terminal.
The file isn't stationmaster.sh or something like that, it's just stationmaster.
Right-click on file 'stationmaster'
Second Tab
set 'execute: as program'
Then it should work!
If you don't understand, what I said, I'll send you a screenshot

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
Well this laptop is getting pretty old now, with an i7-4770K and a GTX980 card but by the time I hit 800 slaves with the game open for half an hour it was something like 5 fps. It was much more reasonable around 500 slaves but I didn't do a proper FPS test. I'll delete a bunch of slaves tonight and see if the situation improves and if I can measure the FPS.
Would appreciate that, need something to compare against.
If you're on Windows then is an option to display FPS.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Well it does seem that once you get past 500 slaves or so the game does start slowing down over time. But then when I restart it's quick as can be again, so it's almost like cruft is building up in memory and not getting garbage collected. Anyway, by the time I've gotten that large I've usually exhausted everything you can do anyway, so it's pretty much a moot point.

EDIT: last night I was experimenting with up to 900 slaves, and the game on my system just couldn't handle it. It actually seemed to start throttling the number of tourists to compensate, like it's got a max number of 'people' allowed on the station at any one time. When I had 500 slaves I had 500 tourists, but when I hit 900 I only got around 80.

But, again, it's a moot point because managing 900 slaves is a huge pain in the butt and not a lot of fun when the game is entering slide-show mode. I also only briefly experimented with rules and they seemed to work, but I didn't get nearly as complex with them as I did when I played last year.
Could be a memory leak in the game code, that was an issue in .24 except that it slowed regardless of slave count.

bshippers

Mar 14, 2018
Could be a memory leak in the game code, that was an issue in .24 except that it slowed regardless of slave count.
That definitely is what it feels like, a memory leak that gets worse over time. I don't remember .24, I'm not sure I've played much since .20.

ogalara666

Jun 24, 2019
So the windows version seems to work properly albiet laggy as hell when running on wine or steam proton. I'm not sure if it's something to do with my system or there is a bug somewhere in the linux build causing stuff to not work right like selecting genitals or breaking my saves & resetting my station, deleting all my slaves yet keeping my money.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
That definitely is what it feels like, a memory leak that gets worse over time. I don't remember .24, I'm not sure I've played much since .20.
Yeah, .24 had something similar, granted I was on a backup system at the time that absolutely sucks in the first place for these game types. The way you describe this one sounds exactly like what I encountered in .24. do the NPC models eventually do a kind of choppy 180 degree turn in place? They stop, flip between facing one direction and the opposite for several seconds like drawings in a flipbook, then move a bit further in the direction they were going before and repeat.

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
Is that fps drop also related to factory and workers count? I thought it maybe, in my previous play couple months ago, I didn't open any storage or factory and my fps was better, now opening them and adding workers 20 fps drop in the center of the map.

Reactions: ghastavi

bshippers

Mar 14, 2018
Is that fps drop also related to factory and workers count? I thought it maybe, in my previous play couple months ago, I didn't open any storage or factory and my fps was better, now opening them and adding workers 20 fps drop in the center of the map.
Oooh, that's something I haven't tested. I just tested 200, 500, and 900 slave maps and the results were bafflingly inconclusive. Although the game definitely felt 'slower' with 900, running MSI Afterburner and tracking all the CPU, RAM, and GPU variables didn't show any consistency. The one thing I didn't change was the number of workers/dolls/biofactories.

One thing I did note was that the framerate spiked up huge whenever I opened the galaxy screen. It must, somehow, stop plotting the station and focus only on that screen. It worked beautifully. None of the other screens seemed to have the same impact. Here are the three saves that I used for testing, in case anyone else wants to tinker with them. The only difference between them is the number of slaves, as far as I know.

The Bump below is when I opened the galaxy screen with the planets. Framerates skyrocketed. Then, when I closed it, they returned to close to normal.

EDIT: The one thing that consistently destroyed framerates was the hotel rooms. As soon as my screen was zoomed out and only had hotel rooms in it the frame rate plummeted, regardless of the number of slaves. Usually something like 4FPS.

framerates.jpg

Last edited:

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
EDIT: The one thing that consistently destroyed framerates was the hotel rooms. As soon as my screen was zoomed out and only had hotel rooms in it the frame rate plummeted, regardless of the number of slaves. Usually something like 4FPS.
Same experience, hotel rooms and portals. Going to test without factories as well. Have noticed extra FPS drop near the center of the station but for some reason didn't connect it the pillar.

None of the other screens seemed to have the same impact.
Sounds correct, pretty much all other screens occasionally bug out a bit and stop blocking mouse input to station map - letting the player move around/select/build/destroy things in station view. If I remember correctly StationmasterDev fixed that in 0.24 for Galaxy map(along with a few other quirks)?

Reactions: bshippers

alfred94

Feb 22, 2019
For me, the only problem i have for the moment are located in the slave customisation menu (all the button freeze). The only way i found for that is to press the Next slave button 2 or 3 time and after that, the close button work again.

ogalara666

Jun 24, 2019
Well actually, the saves plus parts of the game break like it did on linux. The genital options would stop being highlighted, try to edit station master appearance & it breaks & just gives me some bald guy hovering in space & shit, save breaks whenever I try to load it up again & my station becomes the default station & I have no slaves yet I have all my cash.

StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
I haven't been able to replicate the save issue. Could you please send me the log after that happens? The logs are found at C:/users/[username]/appdata/locallow/Nobody You Know. If you send it to throwaway734734@gmail.com, I can look more closely at what's causing it and hopefully fix it in the next patch.

Reactions: Obsidian01

Fate3D

Mar 18, 2019
Well actually, the saves plus parts of the game break like it did on linux. The genital options would stop being highlighted, try to edit station master appearance & it breaks & just gives me some bald guy hovering in space & shit, save breaks whenever I try to load it up again & my station becomes the default station & I have no slaves yet I have all my cash.
Did you start a fresh game or use an old save from a previous version?

KINGOAL

Apr 22, 2019
I haven't been able to replicate the save issue. Could you please send me the log after that happens? The logs are found at C:/users/[username]/appdata/locallow/Nobody You Know. If you send it to throwaway734734@gmail.com, I can look more closely at what's causing it and hopefully fix it in the next patch.
Emmm, the next page bottum of owned-bodies screen had lost and never shown up again, I owned 40 planets at the time. By the way, this version can not peace with other faction, I clicked on make peace and they agree, you could see on ther star map that you already peace with them but it still shows war in relationship screen and contact screen is same as war period. I also met the save problem, my nova slave always change to other spices when you load your saves.

3.70 star(s) 53 Votes