VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.11.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes

mlp369

May 14, 2018
Just as long as we actually get sex scenes. I know you want to flesh out the characters but we're 9 updates in and the most we've gotten is some nude/a very short jo scene.

Imo the characters are fleshed out plenty now

Edit: I don't mean to sound mean when I say that but when you're the only gay game in town I have no other games to play instead
Aaryn wants it more "realistic". For my personal opinion I enjoy this game more when it's slow. This game isn't like others straight games where you fuck your sister in 15 minutes of gameplay. That's boring.

Reactions: Aaryn

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Just as long as we actually get sex scenes. I know you want to flesh out the characters but we're 9 updates in and the most we've gotten is some nude/a very short jo scene.

Imo the characters are fleshed out plenty now

Edit: I don't mean to sound mean when I say that but when you're the only gay game in town I have no other games to play instead
Aaryn wants it more "realistic". For my personal opinion I enjoy this game more when it's slow. This game isn't like others straight games where you fuck your sister in 15 minutes of gameplay. That's boring.
Massively overkill response, Go!:

As I've confirmed in the past: this game is a sloooow burn. Why? Because I'm taking two unlikely people who wouldn't normally be together and putting circumstances and events in their path that change that. To me, that's interesting. I want to see the journey. I want to see the conflict that occurs along the way as that changes. I'm also doing a little more with this game than most games have by having the majority of the plot and character development told vicariously through dialogue and unrelated events. IRL, people don't just spill their guts about their viewpoints, those come out indirectly throughout their behaviors, decisions, past stories, etc. Those take time to come out naturally into a story. Zack and Braden aren't a Grindr hood-up. I want an actual plot and a purpose to these interactions. In contrast to other adult games, the plot here is not to fuck. Sometimes I want it to be...There's a few scenes I have planned out in the future that I can't wait to get to (2 in particular). I'm suffering along with you in this. Sometimes, I sit back and just want to scream "why don't you just fucking hook up already!" But I can't because it would betray the long journey already.

While I'm still writing the next update--because it's fucking massive--things will move faster in the coming updates. That being said, my updates have gotten slower because of school demands but have also gotten much larger (which evens out as far as I've concerned). I will say the next update is turning into a skin-fest, though, and has the most nudity of any update thus far.

Additionally, while I appreciate the slow burn of this game (despite it frustrating me, as it should), I've stated in the past that I hope my work motivates others. Since the demo, I've gotten a few messages from various people stating that this game has motivated them to try to do their own or to pick up a pen and start working on a long discarded project. I love that and it's truly flattering on a level I can't begin to write about. I hope that continues. I hope others are inspired--both either positively or based on the frustration of this project. I'm not against the quickie games--where you're "fucking your sister in 15 minutes of gameplay." Sometimes I'm in the mood for that--I won't lie. That's not the focus of this project. Hell, maybe some people will get so frustrated with waiting on sex in my game that it will force them to make their own. I'm ok with that because it benefits all of us. There's a reason why there's so many games on this site--albeit mostly straight content--and I'm ok with that, too. There's a target audience for every project. Mine will focus on those who want teasing, a slow burn, a plot that will make you question yourself, some adolescent identity conflict, and some passionate deep dicking when I get to it :p

topgamer

Jun 29, 2018

As I've confirmed in the past: this game is a sloooow burn. Why? Because I'm taking two unlikely people who wouldn't normally be together and putting circumstances and events in their path that change that. To me, that's interesting. I want to see the journey. I want to see the conflict that occurs along the way as that changes. I'm also doing a little more with this game than most games have by having the majority of the plot and character development told vicariously through dialogue and unrelated events. IRL, people don't just spill their guts about their viewpoints, those come out indirectly throughout their behaviors, decisions, past stories, etc. Those take time to come out naturally into a story. Zack and Braden aren't a Grindr hood-up. I want an actual plot and a purpose to these interactions. In contrast to other adult games, the plot here is not to fuck. Sometimes I want it to be...There's a few scenes I have planned out in the future that I can't wait to get to (2 in particular). I'm suffering along with you in this. Sometimes, I sit back and just want to scream "why don't you just fucking hook up already!" But I can't because it would betray the long journey already.

While I'm still writing the next update--because it's fucking massive--things will move faster in the coming updates. That being said, my updates have gotten slower because of school demands but have also gotten much larger (which evens out as far as I've concerned). I will say the next update is turning into a skin-fest, though, and has the most nudity of any update thus far.

Additionally, while I appreciate the slow burn of this game (despite it frustrating me, as it should), I've stated in the past that I hope my work motivates others. Since the demo, I've gotten a few messages from various people stating that this game has motivated them to try to do their own or to pick up a pen and start working on a long discarded project. I love that and it's truly flattering on a level I can't begin to write about. I hope that continues. I hope others are inspired--both either positively or based on the frustration of this project. I'm not against the quickie games--where you're "fucking your sister in 15 minutes of gameplay." Sometimes I'm in the mood for that--I won't lie. That's not the focus of this project. Hell, maybe some people will get so frustrated with waiting on sex in my game that it will force them to make their own. I'm ok with that because it benefits all of us. There's a reason why there's so many games on this site--albeit mostly straight content--and I'm ok with that, too. There's a target audience for every project. Mine will focus on those who want teasing, a slow burn, a plot that will make you question yourself, some adolescent identity conflict, and some passionate deep dicking when I get to it :p
well I hope Zack and Braden could get some actions before their senior year.:p
also was that possible to put some more muscle on Braden? He looks a little skinny as a wrestler.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
well I hope Zack and Braden could get some actions before their senior year.:p
also was that possible to put some more muscle on Braden? He looks a little skinny as a wrestler.
Confirming there will be action :)

Its funny you mention Braden bulking up. I had the same idea originally. What I wanted was to keep Braden at his normal size and then once he joined the wrestling team and was working out a bit, he would slowly bulk up as the game progressed. Not huge. I know a ton of fans like Braden's body type the way it is. I always wanted a boy-next-door look where he's not a perfect specimen that belongs on a magazine cover. Again: realism. I wanted him to be relateable. I haven't ruled out having Braden tone up a bit, though. It'll be subltle if it ever happens. Problem with that is it's a ton more rendering work for me and I don't always have the time for that. So basically it's on the backburner for now. Thanks for bringing it up though. If there's more interest, I may prioritize it more. Or it could be for the finished version. Again, this entire version of the game is a rough draft and I plan to rework all the visuals or tie up plots once the story is complete. In a perfect world: I would add animations, too, but that's a long ways off.

Reactions: elleo and topgamer

topgamer

Jun 29, 2018
Confirming there will be action :)

Its funny you mention Braden bulking up. I had the same idea originally. What I wanted was to keep Braden at his normal size and then once he joined the wrestling team and was working out a bit, he would slowly bulk up as the game progressed. Not huge. I know a ton of fans like Braden's body type the way it is. I always wanted a boy-next-door look where he's not a perfect specimen that belongs on a magazine cover. Again: realism. I wanted him to be relateable. I haven't ruled out having Braden tone up a bit, though. It'll be subltle if it ever happens. Problem with that is it's a ton more rendering work for me and I don't always have the time for that. So basically it's on the backburner for now. Thanks for bringing it up though. If there's more interest, I may prioritize it more. Or it could be for the finished version. Again, this entire version of the game is a rough draft and I plan to rework all the visuals or tie up plots once the story is complete. In a perfect world: I would add animations, too, but that's a long ways off.
Fully noted and take your time.:D This game have a lot potential.

RedBones

Aug 10, 2018

Hey Aaryn, just discovered your game and spent the weekend playing it, and i really enjoyed it. i really love the slow burn/teasing aspects of the game. i hope you continue to go that way even though others tell you to push the sex scenes. there's not too many options out there for those of use who enjoy the tease and the build up.
you can add me to the list of people inspired by this game to create their own. i actually was initially inspired by Coming Out On Top, but that inspired me in the opposite way, i was inspired to create my own game as i felt that one completely missed some great moments to add in teasing and whatnot. I lost the spark but your game brought it back. the story i wanted to tell was not so far off from the one you are currently telling, and i would hate to be a "copycat", but we do share the love for the same kinks/fetishes it seems.
so not sure if i'll ever get around to creating one, i would be coming at it as a complete newb, but if you ever have the time i'd like to maybe pick your brain about the process.

keep up the great work!

Reactions: Aaryn and JamesM82

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hey Aaryn, just discovered your game and spent the weekend playing it, and i really enjoyed it. i really love the slow burn/teasing aspects of the game. i hope you continue to go that way even though others tell you to push the sex scenes. there's not too many options out there for those of use who enjoy the tease and the build up.
you can add me to the list of people inspired by this game to create their own. i actually was initially inspired by Coming Out On Top, but that inspired me in the opposite way, i was inspired to create my own game as i felt that one completely missed some great moments to add in teasing and whatnot. I lost the spark but your game brought it back. the story i wanted to tell was not so far off from the one you are currently telling, and i would hate to be a "copycat", but we do share the love for the same kinks/fetishes it seems.
so not sure if i'll ever get around to creating one, i would be coming at it as a complete newb, but if you ever have the time i'd like to maybe pick your brain about the process.

keep up the great work!
Hey RedBones,
Wow...these messages always get me and it continues to be cool that the game inspires others. You mention COOT, of which I agree with you. I thought there was a lot of missed opportunity for more backstory between the characters there but I think their version worked for what it as trying to accomplish. I think this is one of the great things about indie development: people can get inspired both positively and negatively by games out there. If you feel that the current choices aren't to your liking, write your own! I feel like there will always be a niche for what you do because it's the damn internet!

In terms of a potential copycat game, I'm not gonna be offended. I feel like the setting I used is cliche as hell, I just tried to put my own spin on it. Mostly just trying to get normal pointless dialogue that somehow moves the story forward without you realizing it, gives insight and background to the characters and what they feel is important, and let's you really get to know them the same way you would anyone else.

In terms of newbness: I'm totally there with you as a complete newb. I started this game last October. with zero experience in anything to do with this game. No art experience, coding experience, or writing experience. I downloaded Daz3D and messed around on it for awhile. I had a few ideas for a story but the coding part of making an actual game intimidated me. Straight!? was almost an online comic instead of a game. I messed around on Daz for a month or so then started trying to render a few pictures more seriously. My initial lighting sucked on the game--so bad in fact that I ended up writing my actual bad lighting as part of the story. Basically, Zack fixing the lighting in the bathroom was my excuse to rerender old pictures without having to redo all the pictures in the game. It's all been a learning process for me and I still feel like a newb.

@RedBones If you have questions and stuff, hit me up. I'm down. You can shoot a private message so we don't spam the forums. I'm certainly no expert though. My biggest problem was trying to do too much at the beginning--I've found that as the updates drop, the game is finding its own groove more. Scariest part: sharing it with other people--that's always the scariest part. Ever update I drop is fucking terrifying, lol.

ellonmusk

Aug 15, 2018
i play a love you game and my friends too only yhis crash butttt ok haha

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'zack_yawn.png'>:
File "game/script.rpy", line 1495, in script
"What do I want to do?"
IOError: Couldn't find file 'zack_yawn.png'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
"What do I want to do?"
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 613, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1147, in say
who(what, interact=interact)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\character.py", line 877, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\character.py", line 716, in do_display
**display_args)

RedBones

Aug 10, 2018
Hey RedBones,
Wow...these messages always get me and it continues to be cool that the game inspires others. You mention COOT, of which I agree with you. I thought there was a lot of missed opportunity for more backstory between the characters there but I think their version worked for what it as trying to accomplish. I think this is one of the great things about indie development: people can get inspired both positively and negatively by games out there. If you feel that the current choices aren't to your liking, write your own! I feel like there will always be a niche for what you do because it's the damn internet!

In terms of a potential copycat game, I'm not gonna be offended. I feel like the setting I used is cliche as hell, I just tried to put my own spin on it. Mostly just trying to get normal pointless dialogue that somehow moves the story forward without you realizing it, gives insight and background to the characters and what they feel is important, and let's you really get to know them the same way you would anyone else.

In terms of newbness: I'm totally there with you as a complete newb. I started this game last October. with zero experience in anything to do with this game. No art experience, coding experience, or writing experience. I downloaded Daz3D and messed around on it for awhile. I had a few ideas for a story but the coding part of making an actual game intimidated me. Straight!? was almost an online comic instead of a game. I messed around on Daz for a month or so then started trying to render a few pictures more seriously. My initial lighting sucked on the game--so bad in fact that I ended up writing my actual bad lighting as part of the story. Basically, Zack fixing the lighting in the bathroom was my excuse to rerender old pictures without having to redo all the pictures in the game. It's all been a learning process for me and I still feel like a newb.

@RedBones If you have questions and stuff, hit me up. I'm down. You can shoot a private message so we don't spam the forums. I'm certainly no expert though. My biggest problem was trying to do too much at the beginning--I've found that as the updates drop, the game is finding its own groove more. Scariest part: sharing it with other people--that's always the scariest part. Ever update I drop is fucking terrifying, lol.
i will definitely PM you....once i figure out why it won't let me start a new conversation with you, maybe cause i'm a new user?

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
i play a love you game and my friends too only yhis crash butttt ok haha

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'zack_yawn.png'>:
"What do I want to do?"
IOError: Couldn't find file 'zack_yawn.png'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
"What do I want to do?"
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 613, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1147, in say
who(what, interact=interact)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\character.py", line 877, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "C:\Users\Microsoft\Desktop\Str8-v0.8-pc\renpy\character.py", line 716, in do_display
**display_args)
So I'm not sure what this error is. I just ran through the entire code and all instances of that image appear to be working fine. Additionally, the line referenced as 1495 doesn't even have anything to do with that image. I've seen RenPy do this a few times where it just bugs out and says there's an error where there isn't. Usually I just do a quick rollback on the screen and then it's fine forever. I'm honestly not sure why that works though. I guess I'm going to chock this up as a fluke but that feels like I'm not taking it seriously. To double check: what's the previous line of the story before you hit the error screen? If I know specifically where the error hit, I can look at the code there and see if there's problems. I don't see any specific errors in line 1495 though. I think RenPy is tweakin.

Traban16

Dec 21, 2017
And the game just keeps getting better and BETTER! I haven't had the time to say so in a while, but I've been keeping up with the updates. This game (and Summertime Saga) are the main reasons I keep coming back to this site. ;)

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
And the game just keeps getting better and BETTER! I haven't had the time to say so in a while, but I've been keeping up with the updates. This game (and Summertime Saga) are the main reasons I keep coming back to this site. ;)
Thanks for the luv. The next update will drop in a few weeks on here :)

Y

YouAreSonOfSatan

I only hoping that I can choose Braden perspective. This story kind of nostalgic for me. I often teasing my roommate. Because of an accident we are no longer straight. Lol...

And please make compressed option for the next update. It's so frustrating downloading large file with limited internet quota.

And please make age warning about the characters in the beginning. Some people misunderstood that twink is child. Lol...

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I'm glad you're able to relate. I'm trying to incorporate events that most people can somewhat relate to. I'm seriously shooting for an emotional porn game if it's possible.

There will be a compressed v0.10. There's one on my Patreon now ( thanks to @bossapplesauce ) so I'll extend that to the forums here around Sept 5.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Omg yay the new one is out (No I haven't been refreshing the page every two hours like a fan-boy to keep checking cause GMT, what are you talking about x'Dx'D)
lmao.
I legit almost forgot. Somebody sent me a message on Tumblr earlier and it reminded me that I was supposed to post this today. Better late than never. Enjoy :)

Let me know what ya think.

Reactions: Nalassa

AngreeWookie

Dec 30, 2017
Ha ha ha, ahhh, the IT Crowd reference just made my day. Until I scrolled up a bit and see that there's an update posted!

Thanks Aaryn for the game, for your candor and accessibility, and just for being a creator overall.
Cheers!

Lonop

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for the amazing update Aaryn. It was really great loved everything about (though hate you for ending sorry xD).

Keep up the amazing work!

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes