VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 112 Votes

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A journal entry from the developer at Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Journal June 2023

And now the final bit of business slipping in while I have the moment this month's journal. Today I'll be talking a little bit about Zaina and Davis.

Both characters were originally written as explorations of grief and loss, obviously with Zaina the loss of a romantic partner and with Davis the loss of an old friend, even without the additional grief of his death the realization that somebody who's been your constant companion a majority of your life is actually kind of a shit person and that you've reached a point where you may not be able to keep them in your life anymore. The latter is a pretty common experience I feel, I think we've all had somebody like that.

Zaina and Davis are also just important to Valentine as two people who had huge impacts in his life. While yes they've both died I still want them to feel like characters in their own right. Certainly we see small bits of it in flashbacks, but I still wanted to give them time to breathe as well.

Because AVNs are a visual medium, characters talking to themselves to can a bit boring, especially if they're somewhat introspective. Fortunately for me there was a ready made solution. Having people speak to imagined apparitions as foils has been a longstanding trope in media and if the shoe fits than damn it I'm going to use it.

Obviously we know that dead aren't really speaking to Valentine, and obviously he's aware of it himself, but it allows for them to be characters in their own ways. Davis gets mad if you pursue Vi, Zaina has a protective streak towards Valentine. However because of this you enter unreliable narrator territory, Davis and Zaina aren't real, they appear and act as Valentine wants/remembers them being. This plays into the game element of the whole thing. They're typical "Angel and Devil" trope fare. But not so dramatic.

I tend to personally think of them as "The person I could be, and the person I don't want to be. Valentine idealizes the time he spent with Zaina, he liked who he was at the time she was in his life, whereas the Davis he's currently remembering comes from a point in time when he was somebody he didn't like all that much. While Val is in general a nicer person he has significant self hate towards certain parts of his life, to him Davis represents these parts. Depending on the choices you make you end up having more interaction with one or the either. It's my arty farty bullshit way of visually representing where your choices might lead. You'll see one or the other more often depending.

Now I know some people might now be worried they've somehow done things wrong, but I want you to get that out of your head. Something that's important to remember is that when it comes to this in particular there are very few "wrong" answers. Just different, there very well may be situations where being more like Davis is advantageous, honestly I just want you to make the choices you think work. And bond with whatever ghost buddy you want, I think they both have fun things to say.

Eventually though I suspect that our friendly ghosts will eventually fade away, once their business is concluded. But until then I'd advise you to pay attention to some of the things they say. They're your subconscious after all and they pick up on things...

Cue spooky music.

Thanks as always for your support.

Sláinte!

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
A journal entry from the developer at Patreon:

Dev Journal June 2023

And now the final bit of business slipping in while I have the moment this month's journal. Today I'll be talking a little bit about Zaina and Davis.

Both characters were originally written as explorations of grief and loss, obviously with Zaina the loss of a romantic partner and with Davis the loss of an old friend, even without the additional grief of his death the realization that somebody who's been your constant companion a majority of your life is actually kind of a shit person and that you've reached a point where you may not be able to keep them in your life anymore. The latter is a pretty common experience I feel, I think we've all had somebody like that.

Zaina and Davis are also just important to Valentine as two people who had huge impacts in his life. While yes they've both died I still want them to feel like characters in their own right. Certainly we see small bits of it in flashbacks, but I still wanted to give them time to breathe as well.

Because AVNs are a visual medium, characters talking to themselves to can a bit boring, especially if they're somewhat introspective. Fortunately for me there was a ready made solution. Having people speak to imagined apparitions as foils has been a longstanding trope in media and if the shoe fits than damn it I'm going to use it.

Obviously we know that dead aren't really speaking to Valentine, and obviously he's aware of it himself, but it allows for them to be characters in their own ways. Davis gets mad if you pursue Vi, Zaina has a protective streak towards Valentine. However because of this you enter unreliable narrator territory, Davis and Zaina aren't real, they appear and act as Valentine wants/remembers them being. This plays into the game element of the whole thing. They're typical "Angel and Devil" trope fare. But not so dramatic.

I tend to personally think of them as "The person I could be, and the person I don't want to be. Valentine idealizes the time he spent with Zaina, he liked who he was at the time she was in his life, whereas the Davis he's currently remembering comes from a point in time when he was somebody he didn't like all that much. While Val is in general a nicer person he has significant self hate towards certain parts of his life, to him Davis represents these parts. Depending on the choices you make you end up having more interaction with one or the either. It's my arty farty bullshit way of visually representing where your choices might lead. You'll see one or the other more often depending.

Now I know some people might now be worried they've somehow done things wrong, but I want you to get that out of your head. Something that's important to remember is that when it comes to this in particular there are very few "wrong" answers. Just different, there very well may be situations where being more like Davis is advantageous, honestly I just want you to make the choices you think work. And bond with whatever ghost buddy you want, I think they both have fun things to say.

Eventually though I suspect that our friendly ghosts will eventually fade away, once their business is concluded. But until then I'd advise you to pay attention to some of the things they say. They're your subconscious after all and they pick up on things...

Cue spooky music.

Thanks as always for your support.

Sláinte!
As I may have said to Walter Victor before, and as I said to an actual Dev on another thread just today, there are certain alerts on certain threads that just make me happy when I see them, and WV posting here is one of those.

With this revelatory info from the Dev, I now need to maybe add another route or two to see all that the Angel and the Devil have to offer = just more fun with one of my favorite titles.

Thanks, WV for continuing to do this, and if you get a chance, let the Dev know that the pirates (well, at least one of them) particularly enjoyed and appreciated the insight of this update.

Oct 10, 2022
As an Englishman...some of the dialgue (in the UK)...is....interesting, to say the least and none of these characters are English. Can't recall where STW is from.
Well most of them canonically aren't anyway. If I am not mistaken or missing something, only Serena is. Vi and MC American, McNab Irish or something, Elspeth Scot or something, Ines French, Amrit raised in UK but probably has Indian background, I did not get Kana but somehow Japan related. It's been a while last time I played though.

STW if I am not mistaken somewhere from Nordic.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
As an Englishman...some of the dialgue (in the UK)...is....interesting, to say the least and none of these characters are English. Can't recall where STW is from.
Damn Mavi, haven't seen you in a while. You been hiding? ;)

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Well most of them canonically aren't anyway. If I am not mistaken or missing something, only Serena is. Vi and MC American, McNab Irish or something, Elspeth Scot or something, Ines French, Amrit raised in UK but probably has Indian background, I did not get Kana but somehow Japan related. It's been a while last time I played though.

STW if I am not mistaken somewhere from Nordic.
Then the only acceptable acception would be the Americans then. Just a little jarring in all honesty in how none of them speak as anyone here actually would. I accept unusual wording for USA centric stuff or stories that are in nowhere land....but set here...

I won't say about nationality, but about the accent, the developer clarified the information, and some conclusions can be drawn from it.
As we never hear them speak, accent is rather and largely pointless and moot don't you think? Very, very few people write and spell as they talk naturally (unless you're from Newcastle). This is not accent though at all in reality, phrases, words used...have little to do with accent. Slang however has more relevence, but as that is barely used either (which would make far more sense) it's also a moot issue.

Whatever, the story not grasping me at all so will skip this one most likely, just wanted to make a comment as it was never noticeable in The Author.

Damn Mavi, haven't seen you in a while. You been hiding? ;)
Hiding...schmoozing...travelling....depressing...busying...working....all the usual ;)

El_Loco

Nov 15, 2019
Then the only acceptable acception would be the Americans then. Just a little jarring in all honesty in how none of them speak as anyone here actually would. I accept unusual wording for USA centric stuff or stories that are in nowhere land....but set here...

As we never hear them speak, accent is rather and largely pointless and moot don't you think? Very, very few people write and spell as they talk naturally (unless you're from Newcastle). This is not accent though at all in reality, phrases, words used...have little to do with accent. Slang however has more relevence, but as that is barely used either (which would make far more sense) it's also a moot issue.

Whatever, the story not grasping me at all so will skip this one most likely, just wanted to make a comment as it was never noticeable in The Author.

Hiding...schmoozing...travelling....depressing...busying...working....all the usual ;)
Well, on the one hand, I could agree with this, but on the other hand, you will never speak with a New Zealand accent in Poland or Tunisia if you live there most of your life and even since childhood, so certain conclusions can be drawn.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest progress report from the developer at Patreon:

Check In 07/06/2023

Hey all,

Been a little sick the past few days so being as swift as possible with this.

Renders are 3775 of 3891 completed. Current renders are hitting the 3 hour and 15 minute mark per, so I decided the best course of action was to just finish posing everything and then render the last batch while I worked on everything else I need to work on. Looking so far like final count will be between 3950 and 4200 if I had to ballpark it. Remember when I said "there's no way I'll reach a 4000 render update"? God I wish I could go back in time and slap myself for that one.

Animations are slowly getting finalized and implemented in the next test build.

Testing has been going pretty well. I once again have to say how indebted I am to my testing folks, who have genuinely pulled my bacon out of the fire this cycle. There are enough branches and permutations that even I've gotten lost in the weeds, and having the additional eyes has been an absolute Godsend. Honestly sanity saving. But beta ass kissing aside we're just in our test it and fix it stage, It's not glamourous or exciting, as much as I wish I could spice it up for you. That's the typical fun of the end of update cycle.

Depending on how the rest of this week goes I think I might have a date for you next week. So wish me luck.

Back to work now, thank you as always for the support and I hope you have a lovely upcoming weekend.

Sláinte!

camube

Jun 4, 2022
i just went to Patreon to read the patreon posts, and with 3775 renders completed out of the current 3891 renders with a 3 hours per render, it looks like it takes at least 20 days to finish rendering, so it looks like the quickest we get this is late July or maybe Early/Mid-Aug

August would be great i think

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
i just went to Patreon to read the patreon posts, and with 3775 renders completed out of the current 3891 renders with a 3 hours per render, it looks like it takes at least 20 days to finish rendering, so it looks like the quickest we get this is late July or maybe Early/Mid-Aug

August would be great i think
dont get it wrong, yet that calculation is wrong:HideThePain:
part 6 would be in production for 180 days now (give or take a few days), and there should be 3775 renders completed...how many renders is that per day, or how many hours takes one render on average?

camube

Jun 4, 2022
dont get it wrong, yet that calculation is wrong:HideThePain:
part 6 would be in production for 180 days now (give or take a few days), and there should be 3775 renders completed...how many renders is that per day, or how many hours takes one render on average?
If it's wrong, it's wrong. I get an email notification anyway when the chapter is out for patron

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A few preview pics from the developer at Patreon:

Sneak Peek 07/09/2023

I missed my preview images last weekend so a double up this week, appreciate your patience.

The first image is actually from one of my favourite little moments this update. Waking up to discover that maybe you were the one night stand, tragic... Who would have the balls to do that to Valentine? Beyond that, we have another important set piece, the gingers having a moment and even more wet Ines because allegedly she's "a vibe."

Anyway I hope you have a lovely upcoming week. Thanks as always for the support.

Sláinte!

CamSolusar

Dec 5, 2020
Just found this game, absolutely love the writing. Girls are lovely, although the artist seems to have a thing for very high nipples. I am personally a fan of the slow burn so I like how they're handling the story. Although I better be able to proclaim my love for Els soon.

Reactions: Sasanid

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Just found this game, absolutely love the writing. Girls are lovely, although the artist seems to have a thing for very high nipples. I am personally a fan of the slow burn so I like how they're handling the story. Although I better be able to proclaim my love for Els soon.
did you play 1st game?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I didn't, lately it feels like vn's are advancing enough that the older games don't hold up as well. Is it worthwhile? I'd expect the writing is probably killer there too.
same graphics, good story, etc.

4.70 star(s) 112 Votes