VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 114 Votes

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
It is indeed a major betrayal of trust, if Els is using her security clearance and data access as a sort of quasi-Facebook to get juicy inside info on the MC's private interests and affairs. However, if she suspects that there is something more sinister happening, then her intentions could turn out to be less selfish than it might appear at first glance. My guess is that it's the latter, but we'll have to be patient and see what happens next.

Part of my wait-and-see attitude here is also a result of the MC's chill response to learning about the activity happening around his various records. IIRC, he just thanked Alina for the heads up, and asked her to let him know if she learned anything else. Nothing more. He didn't seem at all bothered by what people might find there, likely because he is already familiar with dealing with his negative public perception as a philanderer, so he isn't at all concerned with what people might think of him because of his military service or his brushes with law enforcement. As a result, that invasion of privacy means less to me than it probably would otherwise.
I think she wants to know what happened to the MC but he doesn't want to talk about his past so she has gone behind his back to dig. It's double fucked up because she doesn't want anyone snooping into her things either, even when the MC asks heart to heart she gives very few details about herself.

Reactions: Quetzzz

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
In Els' flashback her parents talk about her pacifism before she enlisted.
I looked at her flashback scene where she overhears her parents talking about who would be the heir to replace her brother. Her older sister (Danielle) is said to be too old, plus she can't enlist when she has a child on the way. Her other brother is ruled out by her Mom with: "Andrew is a kind, sweet boy. He'd suffer in service to the Crown.". When Els's name comes up, all her Dad says is: "It's a bad idea. Anybody would be better than her." Is this the scene you're referring to? If so, I don't really see them discussing her pacifism anywhere.

Reactions: Quetzzz

The Offbeat

Dec 18, 2022
Some people seem to believe Davis killed Zaina personally, and I mean. While possible. I think it's more likely a case of withheld support, Maybe her team didn't get extracted in time. Or a bomb strike called in danger close to her location. I mean if Davis had done it with clear intent. I don't think MC would have even entertained the thought of meeting him ever again. Or that they'd have been able to stop him from trying to kill Davis.. Just a random thought I had browing through some old responses here.

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
Some people seem to believe Davis killed Zaina personally, and I mean. While possible. I think it's more likely a case of withheld support, Maybe her team didn't get extracted in time. Or a bomb strike called in danger close to her location. I mean if Davis had done it with clear intent. I don't think MC would have even entertained the thought of meeting him ever again. Or that they'd have been able to stop him from trying to kill Davis.. Just a random thought I had browing through some old responses here.
That's an excellent point. Davis's involvement is more likely to be in an indirect – but still deliberate – manner, like the possibilities you suggested. Or he could have given Zaina bad information that led her into an ambush (and then refused to risk everyone's life to help "local forces"). Or leaked information about her position to the enemy. Or various types of "friendly fire" situations (this is estimated to cause more than 10% of deaths in war IIRC). If he straight up shot her in cold blood after they achieved their mission objectives it's hard to see the MC letting him live, and if that were the case the MC most certainly wouldn't agree to meet with Davis later when he drops by to visit. So it's likely to be something where Davis has some defense for his actions, or the MC has at least some reasonable uncertainty about Davis's direct culpability for what went down.

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
My pet theory about Elspeth is she was the intelligence mastermind behind the operation Valentine hates Davis for.
It seems that there are a number of readers (myself included) who have arrived independently at this suspicion, or at least a similar conjecture about Els. McNab's involvement (and the participation of British intelligence by proxy) on that day certainly does give a lot of credence to this idea. If it is true, then Els could be trying so hard to win the MC's heart because it is a sort of selfish trophy that represents a mix of redemption, forgiveness, and peace (her singular desire) to her. That would indeed explain a lot of little mysteries that have popped up along the way.

However, it doesn't quite fit with other story events right now (Els's sudden deep dive into the MC's past being the main one). But this hypothesis shouldn't be tossed aside just yet, because those discordant events themselves are also unclear as to the motivations behind them, so we simply don't have enough information at this point in the story to rule enough out and settle on just one explanation.

MF_DOOM

Mar 1, 2023
Check In 10/12/2023

Hey you swanky folks, just a quick in and out this week.
Added around 10,000 words of script. Puts me at around 35,000. I was hoping to finish up the first draft by the end of October and it's looking like I'll reach that goal.
Started posing and rendering last week, Hoping to have the whole first scene and first 100 renders finished up by tomorrow night.
We'll have another art stream on Sunday the 15th for those of you on the Blue belt tier or above. There will probably be spoilers. It'll start about 12pm Pacific/ 3pm Eastern
Thanks as always for the support and I hope you have a lovely upcoming weekend.
Sláinte!

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
Spoiler free, how important is the first game for the lore, do you think it enhances the experience, or more like 'this is the Fortnite dance' type of inconsequential cameos and mentions? Have the first one downloaded for the longest time, just never got around to playing and was pondering if I should just jump into this one, or start, well from the start.:unsure:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: schinoize
Oct 10, 2022
Spoiler free, how important is the fist game for the lore, do you think it enhances the experience, or more like 'this is the Fortnite dance' type of inconsequential cameos and mentions? Have the fist one downloaded for the longest time, just never got around to playing and was pondering if I should just jump into this one, or start, well from the start.:unsure:
It's not important at all story-wise but you will get much better grasp the dynamics, the mindset of dev and how to play the game if you play the first one. Being extremely good also helps to author's favour also. So, I certainly recommend it but it is not necessary to play for the sake of this game.
There is one scene, sequential scenes, early in the game which involves the MC from first game with his significant other and they mention him once before the scene. You have a choice about it, basically dictates the end of the first game into this one. Btw, be careful with naming. In the naming sequence first person you are naming is the MC from Author, then you name MC from this game.

c.mork

Nov 3, 2022
Spoiler free, how important is the fist game for the lore, do you think it enhances the experience, or more like 'this is the Fortnite dance' type of inconsequential cameos and mentions? Have the fist one downloaded for the longest time, just never got around to playing and was pondering if I should just jump into this one, or start, well from the start.:unsure:
Doesn't really matter so far. The two MCs are friends, but live on different continents. You meet The Author's MC at the very beggining then never again (for now).

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Doesn't really matter so far. The two MCs are friends, but live on different continents. You meet The Author's MC at the very beggining then never again (for now).
the way this game's mc is travelling they are bound to meet again.

schinoize

Jun 8, 2021
Just played this one for the first time. After The Author, I expected good flowing writing and an interesting story and it surely didn't disappoint. Been a while since I had that 'I really wish it wasn't over just yet' feeling after finishing an AVN in development.

While I have no romantic interest in her (goes for pretty much all of the 'main' girls), Els is probablý one of the most intriguing AVN characters I've seen.
I usually don't do multiple complete playthroughs (especially not without skipping), but I might just do that now to check out different choices and pay more attention to certain scenes.

On that note, what do people think Els meant when she said something along the lines of she and McNab have fundamentally different opinions on some things? Was it just a hint at McNab being gay?

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: DarkKiller

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
Just played this one for the first time. After The Author, I expected good flowing writing and an interesting story and it surely didn't disappoint. Been a while since I had that 'I really wish it wasn't over just yet' feeling after finishing an AVN in development.

While I have no romantic interest in her (goes for pretty much all of the 'main' girls), Els is probablý one of the most intriguing AVN characters I've seen.
I usually don't do multiple complete playthroughs (especially not without skipping), but I might just do that now to check out different choices and pay more attention to certain scenes.

On that note, what do people think Els meant when she said something along the lines of she and McNab have fundamentally different opinions on some things? Was it just a hint at McNab being gay?
Good that you liked.
Yes Els is the best girl, maybe because she is the one with more background and drama the only one coming closer being Amrit.

That being said, he should be gay or assexual /impotent, micro dick (unlikely)

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I don't think it's "fundamentally different" if they both like guys

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
I looked up where this is from, since I didn't really remember this part. So Els says this during the conversation where the MC asks her why he's so important to her and is her best friend, instead of someone she's known longer than him:

e "Alistair is my oldest friend, certainly. But not my best."
e "We adore each other, no doubt. And he's always been in my corner, but he and I have some fundamental differences of opinion."
e "And Reenie is a phenomenal attorney, with a heart of gold and a brain like a steel trap. But that doesn't put her at the top."
e "It's you. Since the day we met, I've just clicked with you."

The most straightforward interpretation here would be that she and the MC both have a love of violence, while McNab seemingly doesn't. We don't know too much about Alistair as readers yet in this regard, but describing him as having a more "calm demeanor" fits with the way he treats people like the shady "I Hate This Fucking Guy" promoter without being openly hostile toward him, unlike the MC who is ready to punch his lights out. I think this is the most likely interpretation because whatever trait Els is thinking about in this moment would be something that's a deciding factor between the MC and others as to her friendship.

I doubt it is a reference to the likely fact that McNab is gay. In a very real sense an attraction to men would be something McNab and Els share. And a possible attraction to the MC would be doubly-so bonding for them.

It might instead be related to Els's suspicious nature and her intelligence gathering on her friends. It seems to me that McNab is more of a "let people have their private lives" kind of person, and he and Els would definitely clash in that regard, given the way she pries and doesn't respect the personal boundaries of the MC. Els's Dad did remark that McNab is a "private" person ("Kid's pretty private."). The MC appears to be a bit more open about having his personal life made public, but that character trait is difficult to pin down at the moment.

Another possibility is that it has something to do with Els's family, or specifically her brother. McNab could hold some different opinion about someone in her family, since he knows them decently well (Els's Dad remarked that Alistair stopped by their house a lot, and Els's Mom would often stuff him full with her cooking). The biggest point of contention here could be that he thinks differently than Els does about her brother. Or perhaps he simply doesn't understand why she has become half-estranged from her family (Els's complicated familial relationships are hard to sum up in one word). This seems a bit less likely to me though because the MC doesn't really hold an opinion about the members of Els's family, so there is nothing for her to contrast with McNab and use to put the MC ahead in the "we just click" best friend category.

Perhaps it's a combination of a lot of things. She did say "some differences of opinion" after all, which could mean "opinions" plural.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
McNugget is a chill bro and doesn't give you shit if you don't want to open about your fee fees. Els on the other hand tries to open your heart like a heinz beanz can.
- Carl, how are you?
- I'm fine Elspeth.
- You're a lying fuck.
(Goes behind your back to dig info about your entire family)

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
McNugget is a chill bro and doesn't give you shit if you don't want to open about your fee fees. Els on the other hand tries to open your heart like a heinz beanz can.
But how is the MC different from McNab as regards being chill about people's private lives? The context for this quote is that Els thinks she "clicks" with the MC, but not with McNab, so the trait she's thinking about should be something that strongly differentiates between the two.

4.70 star(s) 114 Votes