VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 114 Votes
Dec 29, 2018
I don't understand why we weren't allowed to give Elspeth a just friends speech in the limo.

Honestly, it's long past due. My character has shown less than zero interest in her. Literally. The elspethlove score is (-9) at the start of the limo ride where Elspeth is desperately trying to get a date with you. I shot her down and she says "Oh, I see. Talk about a blow to my ego. You're not interested at all." Then I have two choices, one of which is to say "You know that's not true" and the other is to say "I mean..."

The second choice isn't terribly clear, but I will assume that him trailing off is just an attempt to avoid hurting her feelings, but he should be blunt here. Elspeth has proven herself to be too stupid to take a hint. Tell her that we don't see her as anything other than a friend and ask her to please stop embarrassing herself by shamelessly flirting with us at every possible opportunity. It's just awkward for everyone.

I've told Alistair that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. I've told Kana that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. I've told Viridiana that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. Why not let us tell Elspeth herself? Is it because the developer wants to keep writing scenes where all the girls are insecure around Elspeth? Because those scenes also need to stop. I've made it clear I'm not interested in her to most of the friend group. Word should get around.

Rehwyn

Apr 10, 2024
I don't understand why we weren't allowed to give Elspeth a just friends speech in the limo.

Honestly, it's long past due. My character has shown less than zero interest in her. Literally. The elspethlove score is (-9) at the start of the limo ride where Elspeth is desperately trying to get a date with you. I shot her down and she says "Oh, I see. Talk about a blow to my ego. You're not interested at all." Then I have two choices, one of which is to say "You know that's not true" and the other is to say "I mean..."

The second choice isn't terribly clear, but I will assume that him trailing off is just an attempt to avoid hurting her feelings, but he should be blunt here. Elspeth has proven herself to be too stupid to take a hint. Tell her that we don't see her as anything other than a friend and ask her to please stop embarrassing herself by shamelessly flirting with us at every possible opportunity. It's just awkward for everyone.

I've told Alistair that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. I've told Kana that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. I've told Viridiana that I wasn't interested in Elspeth. Why not let us tell Elspeth herself? Is it because the developer wants to keep writing scenes where all the girls are insecure around Elspeth? Because those scenes also need to stop. I've made it clear I'm not interested in her to most of the friend group. Word should get around.
If it's any consolation, assuming your Friend score is higher than Love for her at that point, you're squarely on the Friend path now after turning down her date request and not doing anything in Mallorca (if somehow Love was higher, you'd still be on Friend path, but with a chance to redeem it). I will say that if you pick the "I mean..." option her dialogue sounds like she gets it that you aren't interested, so Val may have felt further elaboration wasn't needed.

I only have one playthrough path at the moment that is that far and she's one of the LIs I'm romancing in it, so I haven't seen all the details of a path where you reject her, just read in the script though.

ModiThorrson

Jan 1, 2024

I've noticed that about this game as well, it's nearly impossible to turn down the LIs in this game. I assume the dev has a specific plan for the story that revolves around the MC being entangled with specific, or all, LIs. It's mildly frustrating but, as I am really enjoying the game, I'm willing to see where he's taking it.

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
Trying out this for the first time and liked it alot, good to see a non-incesty game is getting good support too. Going through a few pages I sort of agree with the people about the Mature(older) LI's vs the younger team,
Kana, Els, Rena etc seem much better fit for MC vs the student, the sister and the lost frenchie. Esp with the Amrit and Vi who have a weird power-dynamic with the MC.

And between the 3 older LI's, Kana and Els take the cake easily.
Tho i suspect the person doing a background check on the MC isnt Els, but its actually the friend Els showed in the picture, the one who taught her about bikes.
She said she is 'gone' but not dead, the girl talking with the computer girl had the same hair as the girl in the picture and both being in military intelligence too.

Reactions: Zorro#34

Rehwyn

Apr 10, 2024
I've noticed that about this game as well, it's nearly impossible to turn down the LIs in this game. I assume the dev has a specific plan for the story that revolves around the MC being entangled with specific, or all, LIs. It's mildly frustrating but, as I am really enjoying the game, I'm willing to see where he's taking it.
I'm pretty sure the plot is going to rely on you at least being friends with all the main LIs, but not necessarily lovers. That said, I agree that it's pretty hard to have more Friend points than Love points unless you're actively picking those choices. My take is this is representative of the main LIs being predisposed to attaction to Val even if he shows mostly relatively benign nice actions.

Rehwyn

Apr 10, 2024
Trying out this for the first time and liked it alot, good to see a non-incesty game is getting good support too. Going through a few pages I sort of agree with the people about the Mature(older) LI's vs the younger team,
Kana, Els, Rena etc seem much better fit for MC vs the student, the sister and the lost frenchie. Esp with the Amrit and Vi who have a weird power-dynamic with the MC.
On the one hand, I agree that Val obviously has more general life and sex experience than the 3 younger LIs. On the other hand, he only has slightly more experience than them in serious relationships and lags behind where other 28-year-olds might be in some regards due to his trauma etc. So I think arguments could be made for the age gap to be less of an issue than it might otherwise be.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017

I agree, and to be fair it's not just Els. Kana is the only one that feels like you can be "just friends" with. But as for Els you can hurt your performance in the upcoming fight and miss a scene with a character you may be interested in to finally get the point across that you're just friends and nothing more. I doubt it will stop the rivalries with her though, nothing has up to this point.

Reactions: Alfred the Fallen

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
On the one hand, I agree that Val obviously has more general life and sex experience than the 3 younger LIs. On the other hand, he only has slightly more experience than them in serious relationships and lags behind where other 28-year-olds might be in some regards due to his trauma etc. So I think arguments could be made for the age gap to be less of an issue than it might otherwise be.

I dont exactly mean the experience difference(age) when it comes to relationships etc, so far the only one we know about is Zania, so thats just 1.
But there is a more different power/relationship dynamic difference between Amrit/Vi and Val,
Vi who has lost everyone now is very emotionally vulnerable and already had an unhealthy childhood crush on him, now with her brother dead she is essentially Val's adoptive sister(they even lived together with his parents), And in a way Amrit is vulnerable too, her mother is dying in a few months and the make/break of her career is close too. The only positive male influence in her life is Val right now, That is also a teacher/older brother dynamic in a way, esp considering how her mother asked him to take care of her (and negatively asked him if he was having sex with her).

The only 'clean' one out of the 3 is Ines, who is just 'young'(No brother/teacher sort of dynamics) and socially awkward if we get more character for her etc later then among the 3 younger ones she is the least 'troubling' of the them.

Rehwyn

Apr 10, 2024
I dont exactly mean the experience difference(age) when it comes to relationships etc, so far the only one we know about is Zania, so thats just 1.
But there is a more different power/relationship dynamic difference between Amrit/Vi and Val,
Vi who has lost everyone now is very emotionally vulnerable and already had an unhealthy childhood crush on him, now with her brother dead she is essentially Val's adoptive sister(they even lived together with his parents), And in a way Amrit is vulnerable too, her mother is dying in a few months and the make/break of her career is close too. The only positive male influence in her life is Val right now, That is also a teacher/older brother dynamic in a way, esp considering how her mother asked him to take care of her (and negatively asked him if he was having sex with her).

The only 'clean' one out of the 3 is Ines, who is just 'young'(No brother/teacher sort of dynamics) and socially awkward if we get more character for her etc later then among the 3 younger ones she is the least 'troubling' of the them.
Yeah, I can mostly agree, though I think how "clean" Amrit and Vi paths feel depends a lot on when you first have sex.

For example, if Val propositions Vi in Mallorca it definitely feels more pushy (even though she enthusiastically consents) than if you wait. When waiting, the first time is when she's not nearly as emotionally charged as having just confessed her love and she initiates it very deliberately and unprompted by Val. And her dialogue leaves little doubt it's something she's thought deeply about and decided she wants for herself and right at that moment. If you also didn't have sex with Els in Mallorca, than Vi is also less aware or concerned she might be "falling behind" in competition.

Obviously there's still conflict there because of the issues you mentioned, but it feels much cleaner still.

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
I think part of the "problem" is that Valentine simply feels older than 28. A relationship between a 28yo and a 20 or 21yo isnt even unusual imo, pretty normal stuff.

But they feel way further apart, due to Valentine having all these life experiences, being very successful and wealthy, had to kill countless people, found and lost the love of his life, was close to suicide, while they are girls fresh out of a girls school.

Valentine feels more like he's 35 (same with els and mcnab) while amrit, vi and ines feel like they are fresh 18, neither of them ever saw a cock in their life lol

Reactions: ferso111111

Mike the Red

Apr 26, 2019
Here is an updated version of my scorebar mod (though the old one should still work with chapter seven). Since the last chapter of the game, I had forgotten what the abbreviations were, so I added a popup when you hover over them to tell you what each of them mean. I also updated Kana to her new color scheme. To install, just drop the RPY file in the "game" folder.
Red's Score Tracker (v3).png

Reactions: haooni

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
same thing on Author, besides few cases where mc had to choose specific girl to see scene but still coud date all girls to end (well to endings).

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
Yeah, I can mostly agree, though I think how "clean" Amrit and Vi paths feel depends a lot on when you first have sex.

For example, if Val propositions Vi in Mallorca it definitely feels more pushy (even though she enthusiastically consents) than if you wait. When waiting, the first time is when she's not nearly as emotionally charged as having just confessed her love and she initiates it very deliberately and unprompted by Val. And her dialogue leaves little doubt it's something she's thought deeply about and decided she wants for herself and right at that moment. If you also didn't have sex with Els in Mallorca, than Vi is also less aware or concerned she might be "falling behind" in competition.

Obviously there's still conflict there because of the issues you mentioned, but it feels much cleaner still.
Well that sounds a bit better esp with what I read here about the christmas thing, I never went after Vi in my play so that part is skipped over for me. But glad you agree about the power-dynamics stuff still being there.

And now begins the 7-8 month wait... haiz..

Matt2012021

Jul 18, 2020
Been wondering if at the end of the update the body lying next Elspeth is her brother would explain a lot if it turns out to be him

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
Been wondering if at the end of the update the body lying next Elspeth is her brother would explain a lot if it turns out to be him
From what we've been told, Els' brother died before she joined the army, and in fact the only reason she enlisted was because he wasn't around to "serve the Crown" for the Adair family. Els and both her parents accept that he's dead, plus presumably her entire family and many others as well, so I think it's rather unlikely he's somehow still among the living.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
From what we've been told, Els' brother died before she joined the army, and in fact the only reason she enlisted was because he wasn't around to "serve the Crown" for the Adair family. Els and both her parents accept that he's dead, plus presumably her entire family and many others as well, so I think it's rather unlikely he's somehow still among the living.
Do they know he is dead? I thought for sure she said her brother was presumably in the same place as his friend. You only see a casket so I assumed he was MIA but presumed dead. Maybe I misread it.

Milton749

Engaged Member
Jul 26, 2023
It's very common. I get that lots of Devs want to follow the main story path which involves all LIs whether you are romancing or not. There is not many Devs that successfully run a friend route alongside a romance route for a LI. It can be so frustrating that you are on a friend path, yet constantly have to get the same dialogue as the romance. Turn someone down, yet MC is constantly drooling over them with thoughts and spoken words. I'm not a dev, but I would have thought a friend variable that skips the lust dialogue wouldn't be that difficult. But considering, only a few do it, maybe it is hard.

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
Do they know he is dead? I thought for sure she said her brother was presumably in the same place as his friend. You only see a casket so I assumed he was MIA but presumed dead. Maybe I misread it.
When Vi asks Els about her brother (in their very first heart-to-heart by the pool), the conversation is indeed a bit cryptic:

Code:
e "My brother was a lot like yours. It was no different than looking in a screwed up mirror."
v "Your brother ... ?"
e "My parents first born, and presumably in the same place as yours."
Later, Elspeth's father and mother talk about having buried Thomas (Els' brother) in a flashback from Els' POV, and then even later after that in a conversation with the MC, Els' father says the following:

Code:
da "My son was not a good person. Petty theft, drugs, cheating and various other crimes."
da "They were youthful issues, though. Or, at least, that's what I told myself. I'd hoped he'd grow out of them."
da "When he enlisted I told myself that he'd changed himself for the better."
mc "He hadn't?"
da "No, he just became more of what he was. And he paid for it with his life."
So it appears he wasn't killed in combat, but instead because of some serious criminal activity. Initially, I wondered too if Els' slippery wording of "presumably in the same place as yours" left an opening for Thomas to be alive, but after these other bits of dialog followed that conversation I changed around to thinking that she actively suspects Davis is alive.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Skeltom
4.70 star(s) 114 Votes