VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 114 Votes

maroek

Jan 18, 2018
I think people need to check the title of the game again.
:D

The thing is that some people don't see or play the MC as such a tortured soul in this game. I mean, there are events to show the player that he likely has poor mental health, like seeing ghosts of his dead friends a lot and having conversations with them, and an obvious mask of "Cassanova/womanizer" that he plays up to hide who he really is, plus there are other characters – mainly Els – telling him that he's not well or that he should be attending sessions with the other veterans. The most important symptom here though is the way he is slowly processing his memories, and the fact he is experiencing them like they are new and just uncovered. Plus he seemingly can't face what happened on the day that Zaina died, or speak of it (at least that's where it seems his block is when talking with the therapist). But that absence is tough to notice unless you're specifically looking for what isn't there.

On the other hand, the MC has a very successful MMA career that he's moving forward, a close group of friends who support him, no unhealthy addictions or other crutches to deal with any supposed issues, and he generally acts laid back and chill in his reactions to everything. Seeing Zaina and Davis can easily come across to the player as just the MC's internal dialog. Or that he is still in love with Zaina and just misses her. Honestly, to me these scenes often feel more like a narrative device that limits the need for too many unwanted flashbacks. The presence of these "ghosts" just doesn't feel menacing or unhealthy, in a "You must start fires, because the world must burn!" kind of way.

So I can see why others have said that Els felt like she was forcing herself too much into the MC's personal space – and perhaps gaslighting him – during the initial poolside talk when a lot of this first gets dumped on the player. It was only in the most recent chapter that we got a real sense of illness with the clearly dangerous panic attack. And this was also the only time in the story when the MC talked out loud to his ghosts – it happened during the therapy session – where he forgot he was in the middle of a real-world conversation at the time.

The extent of the MC's character is a lot better established now, with a more solid sense of his injuries, but I still sometimes feel it clashes with his other behaviours, and so it can feel more "angsty" than "serious" at times.

To bring this all back around to the love interests, I think who you choose can simply depend on how well that main storyline lands for you. And for some I think it feels like those issues are something the MC will work his way through in time on his own, as he needs to. I'm probably more in your camp than otherwise. To me, Vi sees the MC too much as her "Knight in shining armour", and so I feel she will have difficulty being there fully to support him when he's broken in some manner in the future (whether that's due to these traumas, or just in general because life is never without challenges). So other LIs do seem like a better fit to me as well, but I think it all comes down to whether the MC is played as a tortured soul or just a moderately stressed war veteran.
Well, talking with ghosts may very well be a narative device, but it also indicates serious mental issues. Especially if they lead to panic attacks and whatnot. Paranoid schizophrenia comes to mind first. And seeing how much more malicious Davis became in the last episode, that's plausible. PTSD also plays a role there. He may very well be losing his marbles, to be honest.
The fact that Valentine plays cool and collected most of the time shows how mentally tough he is, and not how he's healthy at all.
100% agreed about Vi. She will be more of a burden, than being of help if Valentine's mental status deteriorates, shall I say, further.
Kana has no knowledge of anything. She really is oblivious to Valentine's problems, fixated on herself.
Amrit is, like I said before, an airhead jock. She wouldn't be able to do shit, even if she noticed, which isn't like if he really exhibits some unmistakable symptoms.
Ines proved that she will try her best to help, but still, she is a teenager. I honestly don't expect Valentine to dump his problems on her at all. Besides, calming someone having a panic attack is one thing, dealing with something like a schizophrenic is a whole other thing.
Serena is just interested in getting some.
McNab is a lame best friend.
But Els... Els is certainly something else. We already know she'll force Valentine to get better, if she has to. She'll drag him by the balls, if she needs to.

And even though none of them, including puny McNab, would have any chance if Valentine's PTSD is triggered and he went all survivalist mode, at least Els may be able to protect herself from the worst. Just remember how lucky Ines was, when Valentine punched through the air, while not knowing she was there. She would've been hospitalised, if not dead if that landed.

Mental health aside, Valentine will face an unstable and violent opponent. Presumably, Marshman will pull some shit, and hurt Valentine. And even if he doesn't, the nature of the sport and the "injury points" indicate that there will be some stuff... Then we'll have a man broken not just mentally but physically in our hand. Who would you rather have by your bedside if you were Valentine at that point?

To be honest, this AVN has so much potential. The possibilities are almost infinite. It can go great, it can turn very dark... And this is exactly why I spend so much time on it. And unless Elspeth screwed Valentine in the past, that we don't know yet, she is the only choice. Think about it. In addition to everything, Sir Valentine sounds awesome for an American.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SerHawkes

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
I rather have your guess over mine everyday of the week.

Honestly, I want this AVN to have some bad endings like Valentine dying or being broken in the ring type of tragedies. Of course there should be good endings but without the consequences, it just becomes a melodrama. You know, whatever happens the protagonist and his LI lives happily ever after... That feels like unfair to a so far great story.
I also guess that's exactly why there is a famous-infamous balance. For example, if shit hits the fan at the end of the game the MC would continue no matter what if famous, but it would lead to his demise if infamous.

About Elsie being in public eye... It's quite plausible for some relative of a person she assassinated come to hunt her down, if she really was some sort of legend during her service, since she's a quite well known person on the Island. But that shouldn't be the case, exactly because of that. I mean, who would be so careless if that's the case. One wouldn't need to be a genius to lay low, or roll around without a security detail etc. And even if Elsie didn't want that, I'm sure her family wouldn't let that fly, but from our dinner with her father, that doesn't seem to be an issue.
But I'm also sure that Valentine will put himself between anything harmful and any of the people, including McNab, he cares. And if it's Elsie, the girlfriend, he'll go beast mode to protect her which will lead to his demise.

To be frank, I still think he has been or will be betrayed by someone in the inner circle. STWA focus our attention on Elspeth because of her secrecy, but we have no reason not to believe her when she repeatedly say she cares/loves him to multiple people.
McNab is on my nerve because of his association with the lowlife agent, and that agent having Marshman, who has a violent past and is volatile... I think McNab and lowlife agent are shagging BTW. That may lead to betrayal of McNab, though I don't think that's plausible unless you really screw up by making an enemy out of McNab.
I havnt played the devs previous game so no idea if it had 'bad endings' or not but for this game it would fit, there are many routes it could happen if wrong decisions are made.
As for El's past, who knows? Maybe Els really thinks her friends is dead/gone but she is actually alive and keeping track of her,
Could be she thinks that chapter of her life has ended and has all her focus on moving forward, hence the work at the centre, wanting and helping MC and all other things she does. All to move forward.
Also I cant figure out if the MC being dense about McNab's leanings is just being done for laughs by the author or he is really that dense, and would be surprised if he was with the weird-mma-agent, i guess being fuck buddies works?

There are only 2 main conflicts/future drama directly in the path of the MC,
His mma fight with that fighter that was jailed and Els' biker-friend keeping tabs, I dont see anything else unless something new happens in the story at this point. I guess that depends on how far away the ending is, but if part 07 was like 0.7? then 1.0 (being final) is 3 updates away, not enough time.

Reactions: maroek

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
:D

Well, talking with ghosts may very well be a narative device, but it also indicates serious mental issues. Especially if they lead to panic attacks and whatnot. Paranoid schizophrenia comes to mind first. And seeing how much more malicious Davis became in the last episode, that's plausible. PTSD also plays a role there. He may very well be losing his marbles, to be honest.
The fact that Valentine plays cool and collected most of the time shows how mentally tough he is, and not how he's healthy at all.
100% agreed about Vi. She will be more of a burden, than being of help if Valentine's mental status deteriorates, shall I say, further.
Kana has no knowledge of anything. She really is oblivious to Valentine's problems, fixated on herself.
Amrit is, like I said before, an airhead jock. She wouldn't be able to do shit, even if she noticed, which isn't like if he really exhibits some unmistakable symptoms.
Ines proved that she will try her best to help, but still, she is a teenager. I honestly don't expect Valentine to dump his problems on her at all. Besides, calming someone having a panic attack is one thing, dealing with something like a schizophrenic is a whole other thing.
Serena is just interested in getting some.
McNab is a lame best friend.
But Els... Els is certainly something else. We already know she'll force Valentine to get better, if she has to. She'll drag him by the balls, if she needs to.

And even though none of them, including puny McNab, would have any chance if Valentine's PTSD is triggered and he went all survivalist mode, at least Els may be able to protect herself from the worst. Just remember how lucky Ines was, when Valentine punched through the air, while not knowing she was there. She would've been hospitalised, if not dead if that landed.

Mental health aside, Valentine will face an unstable and violent opponent. Presumably, Marshman will pull some shit, and hurt Valentine. And even if he doesn't, the nature of the sport and the "injury points" indicate that there will be some stuff... Then we'll have a man broken not just mentally but physically in our hand. Who would you rather have by your bedside if you were Valentine at that point?

To be honest, this AVN has so much potential. The possibilities are almost infinite. It can go great, it can turn very dark... And this is exactly why I spend so much time on it. And unless Elspeth screwed Valentine in the past, that we don't know yet, she is the only choice. Think about it. In addition to everything, Sir Valentine sounds awesome for an American.
I pretty much said similar stuff earlier,
Out of the LI's, the younger ones are,
The Student (Amrit), The sister (vi) and the stranger (ines), Ines may work but i dont think it would be fair to dump the baggage MC carries on her.
Out of the older LI's,
Serena is the fuck-buddy type more for now, Kana is focused on her own thing and has baggage that she needs MC to help with, she may? help MC back in the future.
Meanwhile Els is self aware of her baggage, has her 'shite' together and pushes MC out of his comfort zone, calls him out, helps in a way the others cant.

maroek

Jan 18, 2018
I havnt played the devs previous game so no idea if it had 'bad endings' or not but for this game it would fit, there are many routes it could happen if wrong decisions are made.
As for El's past, who knows? Maybe Els really thinks her friends is dead/gone but she is actually alive and keeping track of her,
Could be she thinks that chapter of her life has ended and has all her focus on moving forward, hence the work at the centre, wanting and helping MC and all other things she does. All to move forward.
Also I cant figure out if the MC being dense about McNab's leanings is just being done for laughs by the author or he is really that dense, and would be surprised if he was with the weird-mma-agent, i guess being fuck buddies works?

His mma fight with that fighter that was jailed and Els' biker-friend keeping tabs, I dont see anything else unless something new happens in the story at this point. I guess that depends on how far away the ending is, but if part 07 was like 0.7? then 1.0 (being final) is 3 updates away, not enough time.
I tried to play Author a few times but honestly, it lacked the quality of Unbroken. So I really don't know if it has bad endings.

Els was discharged after Anastasia's death, and since they were members of the same platoon, I think Els actually should've seen her death with her own eyes.

Valentine being so dense about McNab being gay is probably because McNab is a soldier. I'm not sure about the British Armed Forces but being gay was a huge no no in the Amercan Armed Forces for so long. Then it became "don't ask don't tell" policy, that's still going, as far as I know. I think it doesn't even cross Valentine's mind, in the first place, for him to figure it out. BTW, Valentine-Serena wouldn't be too different than McNab-Agent relation. Though McNab is way too sensitive to Valentine's criticism of the agent, so I assume there's more to it than just fuck buddies or FWBs.

I don't think Anastasia lives but there's a good chance that Davis' death is staged. His body never recovered and he's the type of man who won't hesistate to kill others just to achieve his goal. I think this is a conflict I expect to see in the future. After all, Valentine isn't actually seeing ghost, they are all in his head.

I pretty much said similar stuff earlier,
Out of the LI's, the younger ones are,
The Student (Amrit), The sister (vi) and the stranger (ines), Ines may work but i dont think it would be fair to dump the baggage MC carries on her.
Out of the older LI's,
Serena is the fuck-buddy type more for now, Kana is focused on her own thing and has baggage that she needs MC to help with, she may? help MC back in the future.
Meanwhile Els is self aware of her baggage, has her 'shite' together and pushes MC out of his comfort zone, calls him out, helps in a way the others cant.
My thoughts exactly.

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
I tried to play Author a few times but honestly, it lacked the quality of Unbroken. So I really don't know if it has bad endings.

Els was discharged after Anastasia's death, and since they were members of the same platoon, I think Els actually should've seen her death with her own eyes.
if I am not mistaken, Els said she is 'gone' not died but perhaps she doesnt know, because she is 100% alive and she is with the same black girl (the good with computers one)
Screenshot (35971).png
Screenshot (35972).png

• Haha
Reactions: maroek and MF_DOOM

maroek

Jan 18, 2018

BTW, the updates don't go 0.1, 0,4 etc. they go 1,4,7 etc. So I don't think things will end abruptly in pt. 10.

Jah-Ith-Ber

Feb 23, 2021
Zaida is still alive and gonna show up later right? No one saw her death and wasn't confirmed with a body?

Paranoid schizophrenia comes to mind first. And seeing how much more malicious Davis became in the last episode, that's plausible.
Also yeah Valentine has mental health issues but he isn't schizophrenic lol. I'm a psychiatrist at the VA so I've worked with thousands of vets and hallucinations aren't an uncommon occurrence in complex-PTSD (especially the dissociative subtype). He needs serious therapy maybe some meds but doesn't need antipsychotics.

It's been hammered again and again that Vi is the one that brings out the old Valentine. Even Els is jealous of this. Vi is just as attuned to him putting on a mask as Els is. She knows when he's faking being OK and that his whole playboy attitude is just a front. Besides being linked to her childhood and good times they also have trauma-bonding same as with Els so they're much more likely to help each other than her be an anchor to him. Back to my first point if he was schizophrenic then yeah someone like Vi wouldn't be able to handle that but she is perfectly suited to help him with PTSD.

maroek

Jan 18, 2018
Here's the Unbroken conspiracy bingo:

Davis is alive
Zaina is alive
Anastasia is alive
Elspeth ordered Zaina's killing
Zaina is alive and she sunk the ferry Davis was killed in.

Anything I've missed?

On a serious note, now:

Zaida is still alive and gonna show up later right? No one saw her death and wasn't confirmed with a body?
I don't think Valentine just turned his back and went his merry way, after seeing Zaina was killed. I'm quite certain he would've checked. I mean, any man would have.

Also yeah Valentine has mental health issues but he isn't schizophrenic lol. I'm a psychiatrist at the VA so I've worked with thousands of vets and hallucinations aren't an uncommon occurrence in complex-PTSD (especially the dissociative subtype). He needs serious therapy maybe some meds but doesn't need antipsychotics.
Well, I don't think it's schizophrenia either, but it looks more and more like it. And although I'd take a mental health professional's word, over my guess all day long, and even though STWA makes his homework brilliantly (I mean, there's even an Adair Clan in Lowlands) I don't think he'd be this good. Still, PTSD is way more probable.

It's been hammered again and again that Vi is the one that brings out the old Valentine. Even Els is jealous of this. Vi is just as attuned to him putting on a mask as Els is. She knows when he's faking being OK and that his whole playboy attitude is just a front. Besides being linked to her childhood and good times they also have trauma-bonding same as with Els so they're much more likely to help each other than her be an anchor to him. Back to my first point if he was schizophrenic then yeah someone like Vi wouldn't be able to handle that but she is perfectly suited to help him with PTSD.
We may disagree on this but I think Valentine shouldn't aim to go back to his old self, before the incident with Viridiana. He was a teenager for Pete's sake. People change a lot, especially once they are out of puberty. Valentine actually never let himself to find who he really is, because of the Vi incident, and jump right into the military. He really don't know who he really is and he is afraid to find it out as well. So I find being with Vi and trying to go back to a past that never actually happened is the worst thing he can try to do. I'm not sure what your reasoning behind it but I disagree.

First of all, Viridiana knows old Valentine, but she doesn't actually know at present. Even Elspeth said the same thing to her: So much time gap, especially in youth days makes a lot of difference. Then Viridiana actually confesses Ines that:

Vi's Confession.jpg

She only compares Valentine with old Valentine and she tries to push him to being that. Besides, she has an ulterior motive to drag Valentine into his old self. She's in love with old Valentine. And since she was not even a teenager back then, her idea of old Valentine is distorted.
Besides, trauma buddies can't be healthy, at all! They will keep reminding each other that exact moment. Viridiana's scars do exactly that. Valentine even said it himself. Accepting and moving on is one thing, but having to be reminded constantly about it is something entirely different.
Honestly, not because of her personality, but because of their shared history, Vi is literally toxic for Valentine.

And I don't think Els is jealous or intimidated by Viridiana. She doesn't even mind their shared history and Vi knowing Valentine for so long. She even gives Viridiana advice, depending the route you're on. Els knows exactly how to deal with Viridiana. She keeps saying "she reminds me of my young self". She even pushes Viridiana to talk to Valentine about her feelings. How is this jealousy?

ModiThorrson

Jan 1, 2024
Here's the Unbroken conspiracy bingo:

Davis is alive
Zaina is alive
Anastasia is alive
Elspeth ordered Zaina's killing
Zaina is alive and she sunk the ferry Davis was killed in.

Anything I've missed?

On a serious note, now:

I don't think Valentine just turned his back and went his merry way, after seeing Zaina was killed. I'm quite certain he would've checked. I mean, any man would have.

Well, I don't think it's schizophrenia either, but it looks more and more like it. And although I'd take a mental health professional's word, over my guess all day long, and even though STWA makes his homework brilliantly (I mean, there's even an Adair Clan in Lowlands) I don't think he'd be this good. Still, PTSD is way more probable.

We may disagree on this but I think Valentine shouldn't aim to go back to his old self, before the incident with Viridiana. He was a teenager for Pete's sake. People change a lot, especially once they are out of puberty. Valentine actually never let himself to find who he really is, because of the Vi incident, and jump right into the military. He really don't know who he really is and he is afraid to find it out as well. So I find being with Vi and trying to go back to a past that never actually happened is the worst thing he can try to do. I'm not sure what your reasoning behind it but I disagree.

First of all, Viridiana knows old Valentine, but she doesn't actually know at present. Even Elspeth said the same thing to her: So much time gap, especially in youth days makes a lot of difference. Then Viridiana actually confesses Ines that:

View attachment 3831747

She only compares Valentine with old Valentine and she tries to push him to being that. Besides, she has an ulterior motive to drag Valentine into his old self. She's in love with old Valentine. And since she was not even a teenager back then, her idea of old Valentine is distorted.
Besides, trauma buddies can't be healthy, at all! They will keep reminding each other that exact moment. Viridiana's scars do exactly that. Valentine even said it himself. Accepting and moving on is one thing, but having to be reminded constantly about it is something entirely different.
Honestly, not because of her personality, but because of their shared history, Vi is literally toxic for Valentine.

And I don't think Els is jealous or intimidated by Viridiana. She doesn't even mind their shared history and Vi knowing Valentine for so long. She even gives Viridiana advice, depending the route you're on. Els knows exactly how to deal with Viridiana. She keeps saying "she reminds me of my young self". She even pushes Viridiana to talk to Valentine about her feelings. How is this jealousy?
As far as Zaina's death guess, until we get details on the incident it's up in the air. Explosion or fire could muddy the waters when it comes to identification. So it's still in the realm of possibility imo.

HonoredEx

May 2, 2017
Well, I certainly missed the hair style but...

View attachment 3831040

I'm not sure there is room for so many conspiracy theories in one AVN.
Oh then Els DEF doesnt know she is alive and its related to their jobs too (or maybe she disappeared herself)

Honestly I dont see Zania being alive, that would kill all the narrative work the story has done for MC's trauma/baggage and hate for davis, it would be such a waste to pull a 'twist'.
Same with davis being dead too, both need to remain dead.

Dec 29, 2018
Els is the only realistic LI for Valentine.
Elspeth is the worst possible choice for Valentine.

She has no respect for him at all. If she did, she wouldn't be doing things like secretly recording his private conversations or provoking strangers into starting a fistfight that Valentine was clearly trying to avoid. She is basically a stalker at this point in the game. She even recommends that he use her therapist in order to try to get more private information about Valentine in yet another unethical ploy.

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
what a great game... the only thing i hate is that i will have to choose 1 girl sooner or later..this is killing me... why don't make an harem path...girls are all so interesting and lovable and hot... each one with her strenghts and trait... will be an hard choice for sure.. when times cmome..for now i trying to be with all of them

ModiThorrson

Jan 1, 2024
what a great game... the only thing i hate is that i will have to choose 1 girl sooner or later..this is killing me... why don't make an harem path...girls are all so interesting and lovable and hot... each one with her strenghts and trait... will be an hard choice for sure.. when times cmome..for now i trying to be with all of them
honestly there are sooooo many harem games, it's kinda nice when you find one where that's not the intent. but really you can mess around with everyone anyway so it'll likely only affect the ending.

Rehwyn

Apr 10, 2024
Well some (potentially) goodish news then. The dev plans for 2 throuple paths, so you can possibly pick 2 in a run. :p

4.70 star(s) 114 Votes