VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes
Dec 29, 2018
I don't know... Elspeth feels like that kid who thinks she's really deep and asks meaningful questions at inappropriate times (that buzzkill who, when you choose Truth, asks you an unanswerable question about world poverty rates) but really is just hiding her insecurity by provoking other people.
How did you feel about her first interaction with Viri?

I thought that it was wildly inappropriate for her to dive straight into such serious matters like that, since she's a total stranger to Viri. Plus, the whole wanting you to eavesdrop on them made it seem like this was more about you than Viri. I chose to interrupt them because I had no idea what Elspeth was trying to do and was afraid this would upset Viri too much. So now Elspeth is annoyed with me and the feeling is mutual.

Overall, by background and maturity I find Kana to be the most interesting of the LI.
I was impressed by Kana when she told the MC to bring Amrit to meet her. It seemed like a genuine attempt to make a stranger happy, rather than a ploy to get the MC to like her more. I was less impressed with her advice about being a face/heel, because even though she is correct that publicity can lead to bigger paychecks, she forgets that wrestlers are all in on it together. That's why heels can act like assholes without actually being an asshole. If an MMA fighter acts like an asshole, he is an asshole.

Sep 3, 2020
I don't know... Elspeth feels like that kid who thinks she's really deep and asks meaningful questions at inappropriate times (that buzzkill who, when you choose Truth, asks you an unanswerable question about world poverty rates) but really is just hiding her insecurity by provoking other people. I think she is beautiful but her guarded, mind game BS is not worth dealing with; then there's her family to deal with, the fact that she's McNab's childhood friend, and even more baggage.

She asks questions she has no right to hear the answers to... She never shares anything about herself that matters and no the fucking motorcycle doesn't matter - it's not like it is a real secret. She asks the MC to not tell anyone about it, even McNab, but how would McNab not know about the bike? They grew up together so he should know of the existence of the vehicle (her dad and granddad both owned it before her), he probably would have some clue that it would be passed on if the motorcycle hasn't been wrecked. The whole thing feels like a "test" secret.

Overall, by background and maturity I find Kana to be the most interesting of the LI. She understands what the MC wants to do with his future, to be a champion fighter, she doesn't need to have experienced war to have a future relationship with him. She isn't all "movie night" and "clothes shopping" <squeal> like Vi and Amrit are (and I agree that Vi is too dependent and Amrit is too puppy love)... She isn't propositioning him right after his former best friend died (yes, I know I shouldn't hold that against Serena but fuck that was wrong timing and makes you wonder about her judgement), she isn't trying to "protect" anyone by propositioning the MC (Ines)...

Anyway, still too early to tell who is the best match but weirdly I am leaning away from the redheads and toward the woman who can put the MC in a sleeper hold.
I actually agree

don't get me wrong i love Elspeth

and I think her character will improve

the more we get to know her

but I think she is a pretty good second choice Kana is a grown ass woman that act like a grown ass woman

and we are not Kana coach and she does not live with us so it won't feel like we're taking advantage of her

besides spending the day with all the girls

listening to them talk like a bunch of stupid teenagers no offense made it pretty clear that they are still kids and not ready to settle down

and interested in being somebody's wife

all these girls seem to think about is fucking me

they're only interested in

in my physical appearance and nothing more but you need to pick a girl that doesn't care about that and that will stick with you long after looks fade away

cdr00d

Apr 3, 2021
I'm actually finding myself growing ambivalent about the adult content in this game. That's actually a credit to the writing. You've got a PC who has a reputation as something of a love 'em and leave 'em type who's been using sex to partially cover for some of the trauma of his army days and friend's betrayal. He's got a bit of a savior complex, as well Now he's increasingly surrounded by women with their own traumas and are attracted to him. It almost seems kind of douchey to have him pursue relationships because it seems like it would hurt everyone. Other games I've played kind of give the hero a free pass due to the situation being one where only temporary relationships are possible or the MC is pretty much a jerk and there's nothing personal in the content.

As I said, it's a credit to the writing that the characters are fleshed out this way. I just need to play it with that mindset and not that of a typical adult game.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
How did you feel about her first interaction with Viri?

I thought that it was wildly inappropriate for her to dive straight into such serious matters like that, since she's a total stranger to Viri. Plus, the whole wanting you to eavesdrop on them made it seem like this was more about you than Viri. I chose to interrupt them because I had no idea what Elspeth was trying to do and was afraid this would upset Viri too much. So now Elspeth is annoyed with me and the feeling is mutual.
Yeah, I wasn't happy that she, a complete stranger, immediately started pushing Vi as soon as she meets her. It's just another example of Elspeth believing that, because she's SO smart, she knows better than everyone else. At least it came off that way to me. Elspeth is the most annoying of all the characters, so far. I actually find her distasteful and in real life I would actively avoid her in any social setting.

I was impressed by Kana when she told the MC to bring Amrit to meet her. It seemed like a genuine attempt to make a stranger happy, rather than a ploy to get the MC to like her more. I was less impressed with her advice about being a face/heel, because even though she is correct that publicity can lead to bigger paychecks, she forgets that wrestlers are all in on it together. That's why heels can act like assholes without actually being an asshole. If an MMA fighter acts like an asshole, he is an asshole.
Yeah, I thought it was a really mature way of handling the fact that the MC now knew who she was. She could have been immature and ghosted him or expressed her frustration with a childish rant. Instead she invited Amrit to meet her and talked about her career with them.

As for the face/heel thing, all of that is new to me. I don't watch wrestling or MMA, used to watch boxing but my interest ended decades ago. In the game I chose heel and tried to walk the borderline between out and out asshole and just being cocky. Not sure if I did it.

I actually agree

don't get me wrong i love Elspeth

and I think her character will improve

the more we get to know her

but I think she is a pretty good second choice Kana is a grown ass woman that act like a grown ass woman

and we are not Kana coach and she does not live with us so it won't feel like we're taking advantage of her

besides spending the day with all the girls

listening to them talk like a bunch of stupid teenagers no offense made it pretty clear that they are still kids and not ready to settle down

and interested in being somebody's wife

all these girls seem to think about is fucking me

they're only interested in

in my physical appearance and nothing more but you need to pick a girl that doesn't care about that and that will stick with you long after looks fade away
Yeah, I think that Kana is more mature than any of the characters presented so far. Serena could be mature but she is Elspeth's best friend (Strike 1), she literally gave the MC a letter from his dead friend and propositioned him (Strike 2), and she is the MC's lawyer (Strike 3).

Everyone else seems like cute co-eds/sorority sisters and/or are the MC's "adopted sister" (Vi) or he has a mentor relationship with (Amrit) or they are nearly complete strangers (Ines) or they are the childhood friend of his best friend (Elspeth).

Still willing to wait and see what happens before making a choice... Though... Once again a beach hut, grilling brats, and drinking beers by himself wouldn't be a bad option... That or Trappist monk.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
In any sisters drooling for the same hunk scenarion, the one that lands him friend zones the others.
MC can simply wait it out until someone propositions him a serious relationship.
Other than that, hooking up with them one by one is no problem.
MMA is brutal, any injury can bench you any time in sparring or fighting.
Make the most of your life .. they all know hooking up and fighting are high octane and
settling would mean some off time ... or banging like lunatics. Everything is possible.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
nah not me bro i need a wife to be happy
I agree IRL (she requires me to say that ;)), in these games there is always too much drama and baggage. These games have nearly telenovela levels of drama... Just need the long lost twin brother/lover to turn up alive but with amnesia and then be murdered before he can regain his memory...

• Haha
Reactions: Boehser Onkel

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Seems to me there's plenty of room still to tell the story about Vi and Ines further if you're reading the dev's quote.
I'll stand by my comment it's not fair to compare Aoife/Lyndie with Vi/Ines yet....
Sure maybe the throuple could start as soon as ep. 3 in the Author, but should it really matter if any throuple in Unbroken has a later start?
It's not a matter of when they start but how close people are. I NEED relationships to make sense so throwing in throuples just for the sake of throwing in throuples hardly makes sense. Consider one of those will be a voted in throuple, terrible idea and I will repeat that to my dying hate. I hate, hate, hate, hate and did I mention hate patreon voted story content.

Before anyone mistakes me not liking bolted on throuples for me not liking the game that isn't the case. I've been a fan of the dev since day one with The Author.

However, like Friendly with the first game who liked the game but didn't like the romance side of it I have the same feeling here.

The story and characters are great I just don't feel the love and I don't get a feeling of anything throuple worthy. That's just sounds like fanservice to me. The throuple was popular in the first game, lets throw a bunch in this time.

Sep 3, 2020
In any sisters drooling for the same hunk scenarion, the one that lands him friend zones the others.
MC can simply wait it out until someone propositions him a serious relationship.
Other than that, hooking up with them one by one is no problem.
MMA is brutal, any injury can bench you any time in sparring or fighting.
Make the most of your life .. they all know hooking up and fighting are high octane and
settling would mean some off time ... or banging like lunatics. Everything is possible.
what if you don't want to hook up with them one by one

what if you were that kind of guy but you don't want to be that kind of guy anymore

that kind of relationship gets pretty old after awhile and it makes you feel cold and empty

you're assuming that every guy wants the same thing

some guys are just not into that

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
The girls are fresh and are at that stage in their lives now. The hook up stage.
MC could wait it out for someone to lean into a relationship,
but he has to play the game, they are many , it is only MC,
getting out of it is ill advised when living and training and earning your livelyhood in a community.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
The story and characters are great I just don't feel the love and I don't get a feeling of anything throuple worthy. That's just sounds like fanservice to me. The throuple was popular in the first game, lets throw a bunch in this time.
Well, personally i never was a fan of the A/L throuple myself. But there's plenty of LI's in both the Author and Unbroken so there's always 1 or more path to pick for a playthrough. I see people admiring characters i don't care much for and i like the one they kinda dislike. Good to see the story has more to offer then just 1 path, so i'm not really bothered by attempts to reach a broader audience, guess we will see how the story evolves, so far the dev did not disappoint.

Sep 3, 2020
The girls are fresh and are at that stage in their lives now. The hook up stage.
MC could wait it out for someone to lean into a relationship,
but he has to play the game, they are many , it is only MC,
getting out of it is ill advised when living and training and earning your livelyhood in a community.
that is just it what if you're at the point of your life where you're done playing games

and if the girls are not past that point maybe it just means that they aren't the girl for you

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
I finally got a chance to play the latest update and I have to say I'm agreeing with MrFriendly the only character I'm interested in is Kana. I think Vi and Ines are far to young and immature for me to be interested in them and all the teenager girl talk stuff is annoying to me, I don't like Elspeth at all and I don't like Serena for the same reasons as MrFriendly. Amrit is okay but after this update I think like Vi and Ines she is to immature for me.

I like Kana because she seems to have her shit together and seems to be more mature so I think she will be the only character I'm interested in unless there is another character still to be introduced. Though I suppose with how good the writing is for these games I might end up changing my mind further into the story.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
here i was praising the render of kana`s body ...

what kind of bone is this ?
(yeah yeah - complaining on high niveau ..)

Screenshot_3.png

Reactions: PeraDrnda

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
It's not a matter of when they start but how close people are. I NEED relationships to make sense so throwing in throuples just for the sake of throwing in throuples hardly makes sense. Consider one of those will be a voted in throuple, terrible idea and I will repeat that to my dying hate. I hate, hate, hate, hate and did I mention hate patreon voted story content.

Before anyone mistakes me not liking bolted on throuples for me not liking the game that isn't the case. I've been a fan of the dev since day one with The Author.

However, like Friendly with the first game who liked the game but didn't like the romance side of it I have the same feeling here.

Yeppers! I don't see the comfort level that I'd expect for a throuple. I know they exist irl with people who haven't known each other forever BUT I also don't think it makes sense to include throuples in every game, especially multiples, especially voted on by patreon fans.

I admit I am not the most worldly of individuals but I would expect more of a polyamorous situation to develop for it to really work as a throuple. If Vi and Ines were already a couple/lovers and the MC were brought into it because they also fell for him then maybe that works (not for me but then I'm a monogamous bastard who lives in a can). But other than those two I don't really see a potential throuple.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Yeppers! I don't see the comfort level that I'd expect for a throuple. I know they exist irl with people who haven't known each other forever BUT I also don't think it makes sense to include throuples in every game, especially multiples, especially voted on by patreon fans.

I admit I am not the most worldly of individuals but I would expect more of a polyamorous situation to develop for it to really work as a throuple. If Vi and Ines were already a couple/lovers and the MC were brought into it because they also fell for him then maybe that works (not for me but then I'm a monogamous bastard who lives in a can). But other than those two I don't really see a potential throuple.
I think your thoughts on LI's are contagious.

I'm in the same boat with this one as you were with the first. I really enjoy the story and I adore the characters but i'm not feeling any of the romance choices.

None of them give off that "I could be the love of your life vibe" like a few did in the first.

One I did like is just so secretive about everything that trust issues would be a problem, some of them just don't feel ready for a full commitment and some just don't do anything for me.

I think i'll just stick to the story this time. I want to see how their careers progress. Still looking forward to a more in depth look at Aoife's Irish mob family in the third.

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes