4.70 star(s) 273 Votes

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
Hot take: I wish they will go back and rework first day into a first week. The pacing is very unrealistic, it kinda craps over the immersion of the main synopsis and plot, there are sooo many things that happen in 24h and relationships go from 0 to 11, but its specifically damages the Sophie relationship. While you can argue that for Bree, Jenny and to a lesser extent Eve the MC is a crush, an infatuation, for Sophie seem to be real deep feelings and there is no realistic way to portray a 'love at first sight' to be believable they way it was displayed in game after just one day.

The rework could be as lazy as
A_Few_Moments_Later-3331404093.jpg
transitions and changing some dialogue lines to reflect the passage of time, or could be more elaborate, doubt it will take more than 50ish extra renders for continuity patching.:whistle: :coffee:

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
Hot take: I wish they will go back and rework first day into a first week. The pacing is very unrealistic, it kinda craps over the immersion of the main synopsis and plot, there are sooo many things that happen in 24h and relationships go from 0 to 11, but its specifically damages the Sophie relationship. While you can argue that for Bree, Jenny and to a lesser extent Eve the MC is a crush, an infatuation, for Sophie seem to be real deep feelings and there is no realistic way to portray a 'love at first sight' to be believable they way it was displayed in game after just one day.

View attachment 3079731
transitions and changing some dialogue lines to reflect the passage of time, or could be more elaborate, doubt it will take more than 50ish extra renders for continuity patching.:whistle: :coffee:
Did exactly this in my headcanon. Just periodically closed my eyes for a couple of seconds and imagined time passing. Really works wonders for the relationship progression.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023

View attachment 3079731
Did exactly this in my headcanon. Just periodically closed my eyes for a couple of seconds and imagined time passing. Really works wonders for the relationship progression.
Yep, time progression often seems to be problematic for VN writers. Writers lock themselves in to the mind set of a day per chapter or similar, so relationship progression is jammed in to a small time frame. The writer of SH has fallen in to the trap and a lot of that is because they are trying to use the limited time frame of camp to tell the story. In real life, relationships are just budding by the end of camp, but here the writer has to develop budding romances in the first couple of days to progress a larger story in to the set time frame. Its hard to avoid the trap.

The only one who should have an advanced relationship with the MC is Mia. In SH's case, the writer may have been better served by the students knowing each other from a previous camp and seeking to reawaken and pursue those romances. And/or the writer could have a surprise event cause the extension of the camp allowing them the opportunity of a more realistic romance progression. Anyway, its not a deal breaker, its just one of those VN quirks.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
If we're talking IRL, I guess she's cool to hang around with and maybe a really fun lay but I couldn't be in a permanent relationship with a girl that thinks like she's still 14 years old. It's not her fault and it'll probably get better but I'd constantly feel like I'm taking advantage of her state.
Yea, I can imagine how she is could get pretty fucking tiring. But I just like redheads in VNs so much, man! Which is why you just have both Sophie and Bree like a package deal. Might as well throw in Mia while you're at it since I can't just ignore someone who's been pining for the MC for so long ... add Eve too. And can't forget about Cait.

You know what, might as well just keep siblings together and add Cass.

Also Jenni just cause.

Wait, what was I talking about?

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018

View attachment 3079731
So, you wanna them take a Braindrop WVM’s turn? Thanks, but no:p

and the pace is fine. Hell, this is probably the most common thing when you’re a teenager/young: everything is more intense and quick. You just need mere hours with someone to start have feelings for he/she (hormones in furry, right?). And Sophie is a bookworm who probably read to much romances, so this is probably her dream coming true : find a guy and have a “love at first sight” story.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
and the pace is fine. Hell, this is probably the most common thing when you’re a teenager/young: everything is more intense and quick. You just need mere hours with someone to start have feelings for he/she (hormones in furry, right?). And Sophie is a bookworm who probably read to much romances, so this is probably her dream coming true : find a guy and have a “love at first sight” story.
A few characters maybe, but not all. Everything happens faster in a story than in real life to not bore reader/viewer, but when you think about it, it really is too fast here. Though it's really enjoyable if you don't think too much about it, and they don't pretend to be best-seller writers.

Reactions: Don Sucio

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
A few characters maybe, but not all. Everything happens faster in a story than in real life to not bore reader/viewer, but when you think about it, it really is too fast here. Though it's really enjoyable if you don't think too much about it, and they don't pretend to be best-seller writers.
Very much this indeed and it cannot be helped (though could be better here). Your comment reminded me of all the hate Jackson got for LoTR.....hell, if we went accurately to the books, 5 hours into the first film we'd still have been in the damn shire lol.

Unfortunately in this medium some liberties do need to be taken..however as was said, maybe a '3 days later' screen would help a lot.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Don Sucio

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
So, you wanna them take a Braindrop WVM’s turn? Thanks, but no:p

Way too much stuff, too deep and too big happen in 15-20 hours to a single person. You have the entire plot of a movie, I completely disagree, you can subjectively not be bothered by it, but that is objectively bad pacing and unrealistic relationship growth, even for VN standards. If in the second day MC asked Sophie to marry him, in the way the romance was speedrun, I have no doubt she would say yes :Kappa:

Also, lol at giving a shit tier game made by a notorious liar as an counter argument on why you shouldn't do something :KEK: :KEK:

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
I don't know why you and others are claiming things are happing faster with all characters. The only ones i can say things happen faster are with Cassie and Jenny, two side girls MC can already bang in the first day in a interval of hours. But th. But with the main girls? seriously, what happen with them and MC to be considered faster out of normal? He just kiss Bree and Sophie, show his dick to Eve (because she asked), the blowjob from Mia is just her desperate move to step up her game to not lose MC to others since she is already in love with him even before the game start. And Ms Hill is nothing more than light flirt (for MC's part when he is drunk) until now. There is nothing faster here, unless your view is to much biased by the same old clichè slow-burn narrative in AVNs where relationships are portrayed as some kind of twelve labors of heracles and sex is treated as the big prize/end-goal for MC only after he conclude all the "jobs", if you know what i mean

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Way too much stuff, too deep and too big happen in 15-20 hours to a single person. You have the entire plot of a movie, I completely disagree, you can subjectively not be bothered by it, but that is objectively bad pacing and unrealistic relationship growth, even for VN standards. If in the second day MC asked Sophie to marry him, in the way the romance was speedrun, I have no doubt she would say yes :Kappa:

Also, lol at giving a shit tier game made by a notorious liar as an counter argument on why you shouldn't do something :KEK: :KEK:
But there is many movies which plot/story happen in a spam of just a day. Someones in even less range of time. And there is nothing objectively bad about that. It's just one of the many ways to tell a story. A famous TV show in 2000s had as concept each season (with 24 episodes) will spam just a day in the life of the protagonist (each episode was 1 hour in the story) :KEK:
If we wanna talk about the so called "realism" in AVNs (which baffles me how people are obsessed with realism), then let's start with how truly unrealistic is girls with different personalities and backgrounds start fell in love with the exact same guy. Here and in all others VNs, even the ones that claim to be "realistic"
And i mentioned WVM because that what's exactly Braindrop did: people complined to much things happen in the beginning of the game, then he decided rework the beginning to spread the events in a more broader range of time (exctly what you suggest), and well look how that work out :KEK::KEK::KEK:

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
Yea, I can imagine how she is could get pretty fucking tiring. But I just like redheads in VNs so much, man! Which is why you just have both Sophie and Bree like a package deal. Might as well throw in Mia while you're at it since I can't just ignore someone who's been pining for the MC for so long ... add Eve too. And can't forget about Cait.

You know what, might as well just keep siblings together and add Cass.

Also Jenni just cause.

Wait, what was I talking about?
Note to future self. Look into making a harem ending mod when game is completed. Bookmark this post as a reminder.

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
But there is many movies which plot/story happen in a spam of just a day. Someones in even less range of time. And there is nothing objectively bad about that. It's just one of the many ways to tell a story. A famous TV show in 2000s had as concept each season (with 24 episodes) will spam just a day in the life of the protagonist (each episode was 1 hour in the story) :KEK:
If we wanna talk about the so called "realism" in AVNs (which baffles me how people are obsessed with realism), then let's start with how truly unrealistic is girls with different personalities and backgrounds start fell in love with the exact same guy. Here and in all others VNs, even the ones that claim to be "realistic"
And i mentioned WVM because that what's exactly Braindrop did: people complined to much things happen in the beginning of the game, then he decided rework the beginning to spread the events in a more broader range of time (exctly what you suggest), and well look how that work out :KEK::KEK::KEK:
From what I saw Braindrop is completely reworking early game, with new characters and events. Kinda like what Ocean is doing, minus the improving the graphics since Braindrop is garbage. That is nothing from what I suggested :WaitWhat::WaitWhat: I said have black screens with ' the next day' 'later that day' etc and dialogue to acknowledge the passage of time.

You defend Sophie falling in love with a stranger in the span of a few hours, but then take issue that multiple LI fall for the same guy? Are you sure you aren't trolling?:Kappa:

On the topic of realism, yes a contemporary setting VN, with no paranormal, fantasy, Sci-fi or Parody elements should strive to be as grounded as possible. And no, that doesn't mean you have to 1:1 real world, just keep things realistic enough so that common sense doesn't get thrown out the window, you know, things like what both you and I mentioned? The concept of 'suspending disbelief' does the rest for a story to be serviceable, because if you establish your universe as somewhat realistic and then unrealistic thing happens, then that part is weak writing and can be criticized.

Feels to me you played one too many LMMF games, that dragged the main girl content and now you are on a crusade on everything that even hints at slow burn and applaud relationships going from 0-11, 'Hi, I'm MC' in scene #1 to, picking colleges for your future children in the next one.:HideThePain:

Last edited:

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
From what I saw Braindrop is completely reworking early game, with new characters and events. Kinda like what Ocean if doing, minus the improving the graphis since Braindrop is garbage. That is nothing from what I suggested :WaitWhat::WaitWhat: I said have black screens with ' the next day' 'later that day' etc and dialogue to acknowledge the passage of time.

You defend Sophie falling in love with a stranger in the span of a few hours, but then take issue that multiple LI fall for the same guy? Are you sure you aren't trolling?:Kappa:

On the topic of realism, yes a contemporary setting VN, with no paranormal, fantasy, Sci-fi or Parody elements should strive to be as grounded as possible. And no, that doesn't mean you have to 1:1 real world, just keep things realistic enough so that common sense doesn't get thrown out the window, you know, things like what both you and I mentioned? The concept of 'suspending disbelief' does the rest for a story to be serviceable, because if you establish your universe as somewhat realistic and then unrealistic thing happens, then that part is weak writing and can be criticized.

Feels to me you played one too many LMMF games, that dragged the main girl content and now you are on a crusade on everything that even hints at slow burn and applaud relationships going from 0-11, 'Hi, I'm MC' in scene #1 to, picking colleges for your future children in the next one.:HideThePain:
I guess part of the unrealistic pacing comes down to this being their first AVN ever and they're feeling themselves along the story blindly.
Remember how in the last dev log they mentioned how much respect they had of the night scenes and the lighting that would be neccessary? I don't think the pace was laid out this way, they're just winging it and that's what happened. Better than it could have gone to be honest.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
From what I saw Braindrop is completely reworking early game, with new characters and events. Kinda like what Ocean if doing, minus the improving the graphis since Braindrop is garbage. That is nothing from what I suggested :WaitWhat::WaitWhat: I said have black screens with ' the next day' 'later that day' etc and dialogue to acknowledge the passage of time.

I don't follow that thread for a long time and just remember the rework start as a way to spread the MC sexual scenes in a range of a month more than a week. If he decided make more than that so just makes the things worse and show how any reworks, even the slights ones, is almost a bad idea

I don't have any issue with multiple different girls falling in love with the same guy. That's just how visual novels works and its fine by me. I just mentioned to point out how people is selective about realism.

My whole point is that i don't see none of the things that happened regard the main LI's as unrealistic just because happened in a spam of a day. 4 out 5 of the MGs, MC met for a day. 2 of the them he just kissed at the end of the day (Bree and Sophie), the others 2 not even that. And think they are already deeply in love with MC is a big reach. Attracted and interested? sure, the way they look at him doesn't lie :KEK: but none of them are saying "i love you, let's get married and have babies" to MC or jump in his cock as soon they are alone. And the one who does that (Cassie and Jenny) are just looking for casual fun/sex with nice looking big city boy. Another thing that is not unrealistic, people have casual sex in real life, and sometimes more than once a day.

Yes, as you said when a story stablish the rules of their universe and then doesn't follow this rules, it's bad and a mistake. But until now i don't see SH do that, stabilish a rule for their story and then break the own rule. Actually, if we think a rule of SH is: "pick determined option and this will bring you closer to a character" then the SH is in fact following their own rules by make MC get closer/intime moments with the girls if players pick the right options.

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
I can see how many think it is too fast, but it certainly doesn't hurt the story. Just imagine it is longer if that helps. They're young, horny, and lack fully formed brains to make rash decisions. He moves fast. Instead of waiting until the end of camp, he goes right in on the first day. And the girls are right there with him. It is fast. But don't let that get in your way of enjoying it. It didn't bother me and the story pulled me right in.

Hell, there are lesbians that have to play games with a male, straight MC. Or an Asian guy playing a white MC. A male virgin playing a female lesbian in a poly relationship with a man. Or any game that has a harem. These people all find ways to enjoy VNs despite the clash. There are good reasons to note that the first day is rushed. But there are better reasons to move past it and enjoy the VN as is.

If this is the devs' first attempt at a VN, they knocked it clean out of the park. The visuals are fricken awesome! The girls are all very hot. And the story is fun and easily pulls me in. Damn good job, I say.

4.70 star(s) 273 Votes