4.20 star(s) 141 Votes

fortuna95

Lezz kiss for peace!
Donor
Feb 7, 2018
GTBALL_BALLY are you sleeping :unsure:

Dev Update #82

Again, I didn't make much progress on posing.

To be honest, I haven't posed a single shot on scene 2. That doesn't mean I didn't work on the game, though.

Last week, I talked a bit about image quality and what I plan to do in order to improve my renders. But render settings and post-processing are only one element of the equation. You can enhance the technical peculiarity of your images but if the content you are showing is still as rubbish a before, it's barely more than useless. I thought about it a lot since the release of v0.5 and I know I can't avoid it.

When I first created the sets for Summer Scent, I knew almost nothing about Daz, Iray, rendering and all that stuff. I wouldn't say that I became good at it since then, far from that. But I know enough now to see and understand a lot of the mistakes I made.

I know that if I want to truly improve the quality of the images I produce, I have to improve the quality of the sets and lighting I use. To make things more realistic, more lively, and I hope, more pleasant to look at.

So, I'm reworking the environments.

I've spent a large part of this week working on Jack's bedroom.

First, I wanted to change the lighting. The lighting I used for Day scenes, until now, is mostly decent. But my concern was more about the evening and night lights.

I've lost a lot of time trying useless things. I probably spent half a day trying every bedside lamp props I own, to find one that looked nice and that could fit the bedroom of an 18 years old guy, and that could also nicely enlight my scenes. While I certainly found some good looking assets, 100% of the props I tested were complete crap on the lighting side. I struggled a long time between light intensity, shade translucency to finally decide to fake the light. I'm happy with the results as it looks nice and way better than the flat and hard light I used until now.

Here is what it looks like.

I also reworked the way I light the "dark of the night" scenes.
The heavy blue tint is gone and moon rays are bleeding through the blinds. This should make these scenes more readable.

Also a couple of shots of the new day scene lighting. With a different light for the morning and the rest of the day.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Reworking the light on that room alone took me about a day and a half of trial and error. But I've learned a few things in the process and reworking the light on the other sets won't take me as long.

Looking at the renders of jack's bedroom, you will probably notice that the decoration changed a bit. It's not much but I wanted to make his environment more believable. He is an 18 years old virgin who likes hot girls and engines. So I got rid of the framed tasteless pictures on his walls and crafted some more fitting custom posters. I also added a few more things to occupy some empty spaces. I'm not gonna lie, working on these custom posters took me a bit of time as I rendered and processed them on purpose.

Finally, my last concern about Jack's bedroom was the bed. Or rather, the mattress. The one I used until now was utter crap. It was so low quality that it was completely impossible to apply any deformation to it. The pillows were also embedded in the mattress and I had no way of moving and really using them. I wanted to change that. I've been advised to try some other specific asset and it works. It's not perfect, but it works. I could change the mattress and the pillows and I can now deform and move them as I want. I kept the frame of the previous bed as I find it simple and fitting to the bedroom.

In the end, reworking Jack's bedroom took me about three days. Reworking the other sets will be faster however as I know a bit more what to expect and what problems I'll have to solve.

As I said, I'm going to rework every environment.

Only the light for some, like the bathroom or the laundry room, probably also the decoration for some others. For the kitchen, however, I'm going to do something else.

Because I'm not happy with the kitchen!

When I started working om Summer Scent, I couldn't find any good kitchen assets. So I ended using the one you all know. It's a pretty popular one that has been used and reused ad nauseam in many other games. Let's face it, it doesn't look that bad but it sure doesn't fit well with the rest of the house. So... I want to replace it completely. I searched for some fitting assets and I did found something interesting.
I wasn't completely satisfied with it so I started modifying it. Turns out it was a nightmare because 80% of the furniture and props are embedded in the walls and I can't just remove them. But it still looks nice right? So I bravely decided to edit the geometry of the set to have it suits my needs.

Luckily for me, after a few hours into that job, someone kindly hinted that this asset was already used in another very popular game.

So I decided to throw everything in the trashcan.
Some more research later I found some more asset. The room itself looks bad but the props are pretty nice and I can use them to build my own set.

So here I am, building my own kitchen.
I know, it doesn't look very promising right now but I'm sure I can do something better and more fitting than the kitchen I use at the moment.

With all that being said...

You may want to ask "But Cap, with all those changes, you're going to have a major continuity problem. The kitchen is just going to change overnight?"

Well, yes, and it's going to be weird for some time. But just for some time, because I'm going to remake every render of the game.

I have several good reasons for that.

The renders in the first and second days are objectively bad. The third day is barely better, and on Day 4 and 5 there are still so many mistakes and errors to correct that re-rendering everything is justified.

If I ever want to release the game on steam, for example, I need the game to have a decent quality right from the start. Cassie's black eyes, Jack's weird ears, the overall image quality... I need to have all that under control.

I'm also quite ashamed of what I published in these first releases and I need to correct that.

So I guess we could say I'm gonna "rework" Summer Scent.

However, I'm not going to pose the development of the story for that. The rework is kind of a side project I'm going to work on little by little. Obviously, it's going to take some time from the main development but I'll try to keep it reasonable. My first objective is to rerender Day 1 and release it with v0.6. Day 1 is about 60 renders, it probably won't take me more than a few days.

That Dev Update is getting far too long and I should put an end to it.
Let me know what you think about the rework and the new sets. If you have any question, I'll be happy to answer.

The quick sum up :
  • Day 6 Part 1 will contain 14 scenes.
  • Scenes 1 and 2 are written.
  • Scene 1 is posed.
  • 4998 words, 31 shots are posed, 31 are rendered.
  • 1 environment has been reworked, 10 more to go.
  • I'm currently working on building a new kitchen.

You can follow my progress with this

Thank you very much for your support!
The Naughty Captain

GTBALL_BALLY

Unknown User
Apr 5, 2020

Dev Update #82

Again, I didn't make much progress on posing.

To be honest, I haven't posed a single shot on scene 2. That doesn't mean I didn't work on the game, though.

Last week, I talked a bit about image quality and what I plan to do in order to improve my renders. But render settings and post-processing are only one element of the equation. You can enhance the technical peculiarity of your images but if the content you are showing is still as rubbish a before, it's barely more than useless. I thought about it a lot since the release of v0.5 and I know I can't avoid it.

When I first created the sets for Summer Scent, I knew almost nothing about Daz, Iray, rendering and all that stuff. I wouldn't say that I became good at it since then, far from that. But I know enough now to see and understand a lot of the mistakes I made.

I know that if I want to truly improve the quality of the images I produce, I have to improve the quality of the sets and lighting I use. To make things more realistic, more lively, and I hope, more pleasant to look at.

So, I'm reworking the environments.

I've spent a large part of this week working on Jack's bedroom.

First, I wanted to change the lighting. The lighting I used for Day scenes, until now, is mostly decent. But my concern was more about the evening and night lights.

I've lost a lot of time trying useless things. I probably spent half a day trying every bedside lamp props I own, to find one that looked nice and that could fit the bedroom of an 18 years old guy, and that could also nicely enlight my scenes. While I certainly found some good looking assets, 100% of the props I tested were complete crap on the lighting side. I struggled a long time between light intensity, shade translucency to finally decide to fake the light. I'm happy with the results as it looks nice and way better than the flat and hard light I used until now.

Here is what it looks like.

The heavy blue tint is gone and moon rays are bleeding through the blinds. This should make these scenes more readable.

Also a couple of shots of the new day scene lighting. With a different light for the morning and the rest of the day.
Reworking the light on that room alone took me about a day and a half of trial and error. But I've learned a few things in the process and reworking the light on the other sets won't take me as long.

Looking at the renders of jack's bedroom, you will probably notice that the decoration changed a bit. It's not much but I wanted to make his environment more believable. He is an 18 years old virgin who likes hot girls and engines. So I got rid of the framed tasteless pictures on his walls and crafted some more fitting custom posters. I also added a few more things to occupy some empty spaces. I'm not gonna lie, working on these custom posters took me a bit of time as I rendered and processed them on purpose.

Finally, my last concern about Jack's bedroom was the bed. Or rather, the mattress. The one I used until now was utter crap. It was so low quality that it was completely impossible to apply any deformation to it. The pillows were also embedded in the mattress and I had no way of moving and really using them. I wanted to change that. I've been advised to try some other specific asset and it works. It's not perfect, but it works. I could change the mattress and the pillows and I can now deform and move them as I want. I kept the frame of the previous bed as I find it simple and fitting to the bedroom.

In the end, reworking Jack's bedroom took me about three days. Reworking the other sets will be faster however as I know a bit more what to expect and what problems I'll have to solve.

As I said, I'm going to rework every environment.

Only the light for some, like the bathroom or the laundry room, probably also the decoration for some others. For the kitchen, however, I'm going to do something else.

Because I'm not happy with the kitchen!

When I started working om Summer Scent, I couldn't find any good kitchen assets. So I ended using the one you all know. It's a pretty popular one that has been used and reused ad nauseam in many other games. Let's face it, it doesn't look that bad but it sure doesn't fit well with the rest of the house. So... I want to replace it completely. I searched for some fitting assets and I did found something interesting.
I wasn't completely satisfied with it so I started modifying it. Turns out it was a nightmare because 80% of the furniture and props are embedded in the walls and I can't just remove them. But it still looks nice right? So I bravely decided to edit the geometry of the set to have it suits my needs.

Luckily for me, after a few hours into that job, someone kindly hinted that this asset was already used in another very popular game.

So I decided to throw everything in the trashcan.
Some more research later I found some more asset. The room itself looks bad but the props are pretty nice and I can use them to build my own set.

So here I am, building my own kitchen.
I know, it doesn't look very promising right now but I'm sure I can do something better and more fitting than the kitchen I use at the moment.

With all that being said...

You may want to ask "But Cap, with all those changes, you're going to have a major continuity problem. The kitchen is just going to change overnight?"

Well, yes, and it's going to be weird for some time. But just for some time, because I'm going to remake every render of the game.

I have several good reasons for that.

The renders in the first and second days are objectively bad. The third day is barely better, and on Day 4 and 5 there are still so many mistakes and errors to correct that re-rendering everything is justified.

If I ever want to release the game on steam, for example, I need the game to have a decent quality right from the start. Cassie's black eyes, Jack's weird ears, the overall image quality... I need to have all that under control.

I'm also quite ashamed of what I published in these first releases and I need to correct that.

So I guess we could say I'm gonna "rework" Summer Scent.

However, I'm not going to pose the development of the story for that. The rework is kind of a side project I'm going to work on little by little. Obviously, it's going to take some time from the main development but I'll try to keep it reasonable. My first objective is to rerender Day 1 and release it with v0.6. Day 1 is about 60 renders, it probably won't take me more than a few days.

That Dev Update is getting far too long and I should put an end to it.
Let me know what you think about the rework and the new sets. If you have any question, I'll be happy to answer.

The quick sum up :
  • Scene 1 is posed.
  • 1 environment has been reworked, 10 more to go.
  • I'm currently working on building a new kitchen.

The Naughty Captain
Actually I was
It was 5 am when this post came

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
JEEZUS FUCK THAT ENDING. That went into a dark turn, is there a "good" harem ending?
There is, of course. I think you're supposed to go after both girls, in fact.

Check my walkthrough.

A message to everybody:

I put a "special warning" in my walkthrough at the beginning of day 5 in the Eve love + Cassie love route: therefore, if you messed you can avoid the bad end in time, this way.

markblazes

Jun 16, 2020
There is, of course. I think you're supposed to go after both girls, in fact.

Check my walkthrough.

A message to everybody:

I put a "special warning" in my walkthrough at the beginning of day 5 in the Eve love + Cassie love route: therefore, if you messed you can avoid the bad end in time, this way.
Yeah I went in blind, and wanted to try to get any decent ending. I failed. HORRIBLY.

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
Aight, just played this. Enjoyed it. If you're interested in some feedback, here's what I got.

I liked the environments, well done.

The girls are attractive and more natural, they avoid the "uncanny valley" vibe that can come with extreme hourglass figures that... throws me off a bit. Just me, I understand some people like that.

Most of the dialogue is good, a bit of it is framed a bit awkwardly. That's probably because American English is the way it is and we say things a certain way. We also speak a bit more... how do I put it, succinctly. More direct and to the point. Less wordy.

I understand there's a variety of things that can happen in the story, I stuck with a walkthrough to get the positive harem route. It's in the nature of these games to not make it obvious if one is going down a dark path, I get it. They're going to be arbitrary. So, if I have any complaints about that, it's more with this genre than with this particular game. Even great games like Witcher 3 are guilty of this... like with Ciri endings and how Geralt handles those - not obvious at all how most dialogue/action choices may change her endings... except maybe where Geralt is counting the money for finding her... anyway I digress. I've made my point.

I'd like to see these three... maybe even four... end up happy and safe, so there you go. That's a huge positive.

The male MC isn't totally clueless. I'd probably like a bit more self assurance and assertiveness. I'm not a fan of the hapless and clueless male MC. It's way over-done in a lot of games. That doesn't mean the MC is always right, he doesn't have to be a male "Mary Sue". It's probably an interesting balance to find in game development or story-telling, where you want the MC to be challenged and also interesting.

I don't necessarily have to have more control over anything. I'd like to see the sex scenes get animated, like BeingADIK or whatever. But if that doesn't happen it's not the end of the world. The last scene between the three was very well done for what it is.

I'm not a *huge* fan of expedited reconciliation - like between Josie (Josy?) and Maya in BeingADIK. They're having all these relationship problems and they get involved with the MC, then in one meeting they reconcile, whether the MC is involved or not. In this game, Kelly gets forgiven pretty quick, it's kinda the same thing. But I get why these story/character choices may be happening, resources and time are limited and you devs may find the need to just keep things moving. I get it. It's not like the end of the world, just a nit pick.

This is, of course, all just my opinion and preferences and I don't expect anybody to cater to them and I totally respect developers making the game they want to make. This is all said with respect.

Anyway, cheers! And have fun working on this or other games!

bigphil963

Nov 17, 2020
There is way to much "inner thought" dialogue for my liking.

Don't get me wrong I really really like games with well written stories and even some inner thoughts dialogue to give more depth to characters.

But damn, The MC just needs to shut the fuck up with his constant inner thoughts and sometimes constant negative thoughts. it gets very old, very quick.
It gets to the point that I end up skipping like half the game trying to get past all the negative and/or thought process dialogue of the MC that it virtually becomes pointless to even play the game in the first place.

slight exaggeration: it feels like there's only like 500 spoken words in the whole game while at the same time it feels like there are thousands and thousands of inner thought text, its a little much. the game ends up as some sort of fantasy game from the mind of the MC, half the time I feel like I'm just clicking and clicking just waiting for someone to actually say something lol

This game looks promising(Great story, Great renders, Great fetishes) but it's so hard to weigh through the excessive and constant amount of inner thought dialogue

Last edited:

emigrate2230

Feb 5, 2021
i respect your opinion but I disagree with you. the MC thoughts are incredibly realistic solely because they are like that. those are the thoughts of somebody who realises what a dumbass and jerk was to somebody whom he thought only bad stuffs about and none were true (i am talking solely on the love routes). what i love even more is that it is nothing cheesy (like i see in some tv series loool). don't take my reply as a sign of disrespect towards you. every person has their right to opinion. it is just the eay how i would feel if i would be a jerk towards smebody and realise it was all for the wrong reasons

Mar 27, 2018
There is way to much "inner thought" dialogue for my liking.

Don't get me wrong I really like games with well written stories and even some inner thoughts dialogue.

But damn, The MC just needs to shut the fuck up with his constant emo and negative thoughts. it gets very old, very quick.
It gets to the point that I end up skipping like half the game trying to get past all the negative thought process dialogue of the MC that it virtually becomes pointless to even play the game in the first place.

This game looked so promising(Great story, Great renders, Great fetishes) but ima pass on this game this time, such a shame
If you had let your sister down as badly as the MC did, you'd be thinking about it quite a lot. Even more so when wanting to bang said sister that was let down.

Housewife

Oct 22, 2016

Dev Update #82

I have already written that in these scenes only the general outlines are visible. Personally, I do not understand why, in principle, the author makes people break their eyes, trying to see what is not visible :cry:

Pendrell

Apr 10, 2020
So, pals,

I DID PROMISE A WALKTHROUGH... and now... here you are!! Summer Scent 0.55 walkthrough guide.

50 pages, 15 full paths... it took me a whole week. So enjoy and please don't complain if you run into a few typos.

I just want to add this:

the more paths you play, the more you enjoy the story.
Thanks for your work on this, I think this is one of the more complex games to do a walkthrough for - the dev himself thought it would be very difficult to do one! Have to say though, I do disagree with some of your assumptions at the start about how you're "meant" to pursue both Eve and Cassie and anything else is a mistake. The Eve solo love path is one of the best I've played of this type and it promises to only get richer. I think what you perhaps meant was that there is more side-story on some of the other routes, which is true, but I would say only true for the moment. Anyway, thanks again for the time and effort with this.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Thanks for your work on this, I think this is one of the more complex games to do a walkthrough for - the dev himself thought it would be very difficult to do one! Have to say though, I do disagree with some of your assumptions at the start about how you're "meant" to pursue both Eve and Cassie and anything else is a mistake. The Eve solo love path is one of the best I've played of this type and it promises to only get richer. I think what you perhaps meant was that there is more side-story on some of the other routes, which is true, but I would say only true for the moment. Anyway, thanks again for the time and effort with this.
Well, my commentary is just my own opionion :) .

Anyway, the Author stated that every decision will lead to consequences: you can make bad decisions that will lead to bad consequences, sooner or later, but I think that there are bad decisions and wrong decisions, here. There are differences between wrong decisions and bad decisions, I guess.

GTBALL_BALLY

Unknown User
Apr 5, 2020
fortuna95 u awake ?

Dev Update #83

The rework of all the sets is going on.
I've spent the whole week working on it. The kitchen is done. I'm pretty happy with the new set. That's the biggest set I assembled to date and it took quite some time to put it together. The other sets will be easier to rework as I don't plan to rebuild them entirely.

I also reworked the pool and the upper hallway. The sets are similar to the originals, I mostly reworked the light, crafted and selected some better props, and corrected a few mistakes.

I'm currently working on Eve's bedroom. The light is done and I added a few props. I still have to work on a couple of custom posters and her bed (I'm sure we can agree this is an important component of the bedroom).
I started streaming through Discord. For now, The stream is opened to Sailing Masters and upper tiers. It's mostly me working silently with Daz. maybe I'll become more vocal in the future. I won't stream any spoiler content, so you won't see me working on the actual scenes, but working on the sets, the characters, or bonus and random renders should be regular. Let me know if you find that kind of content interesting.
It's time to vote for April exclusive bonus renders. I'll publish the poll immediately after this Dev Update.

The quick sum up :
  • Scene 1 is posed.
  • 4 environments have been reworked, 7 more to go.
  • I'm currently reworking Eve's Bedroom.

The Naughty Captain

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
WARNING/CAUTION/DANGER
Please pursue with only one unless you want to get them raped.

I want above sign to be on preview page. don't get me wrong i am absolutely loving this one, and it's still in early stage. I just totally went casanova from the start, mind you i was expecting something unpleasant when Cassie caught mc with Eve and her reaction was pretty reasonable as well but i didn't expect that dark though at least don't ruin the character in early stage. I thought DPC was less subtle with acting lessons, but i am having second thoughts now.
Or I'm missing something and that's how story is gonna progress who knows.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
The throuple path is reachable, and the bad ending avoidable. Search the forum, or follow the walkthrough posted in the OP.
It certainly is my friend, no question about that, and to further clarify i played walkthrough mod version. My question was mainly about the crude handling of Cassie after that scene. If i was one of the member of Dev team i would have definitely recommended him about that event as a another opportunity for solo Eve path with slightly (more slightly) less dark Cassie ending (if at all it is).

4.20 star(s) 141 Votes