Fortuna ღ

May 13, 2020
I love that this is just some random person ranting about other people ranting about the game, justified or not. This thing was linked on the OP and I was thinking it was something official and important from oceans themselves like some big explanation of why development cycles take so long and what not. But to see it's literally just someone going on with the tried and true "you can't have a critical opinion of the game" or "say something true about it". Fact of the matter is, whether you're tired of hearing it or not, there is nothing but absolute truth in people talking about the slow development cycle of the game. It is what it is lol. And not all reviews are going to be sunshine and rainbows, a good stance I take with writing my franchise is 'you're going to be the villain for someone' it's just how it is.
Respectfully, I don't think that the meaning of my post registered with you. The main reason why it was even posted was because instead of simply stating their opinions and leaving, many users felt the need to stay(for whatever reason) to attack both Oceanlab and the fanbase, and that's if they did not already do that when joining the thread. If you dislike something, why continue being around it and harassing those that favour it? That's been a theme within this thread for years, and I spoke for those that grew tired of it. At that particular time, it was getting out of hand.
This is par for the course when you give people a slice of the game and it's a work in progress or in an official capacity a "live service game". People jump on hype trains, they're excited, almost too much, to get their hands on something. They enjoyed SG and they want more. Issue here is, just like they can leave the game or foolishly be told not to support it, one doesn't NEED to read through every comment.
The entire reason that post exists, is because of the fact that I could see them without needing to read through every comment. That's how bad it got. So yes, I thought to inform those users that they were free to find something more to their tastes. Crazy, I knowღ
Oceans doesn't seem discouraged, they're still being supported and while yes, it is absolutely at a snails pace, they seem to be working on the game. I'm working on alot of my own stuff and I can utterly understand a creator going back and editing and editing and reworking to make things as perfect as possible. That kind of approach isn't always realistic, but you fall into it wanting to make the best thing you can and appeal to as many people as possible. It just comes with the territory. Anywho, I simply thought this was funny. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting clicking this from the OP.
Oceans literally deleted his F95 account because of the users I spoke about. Developers always delete their accounts because of the users I spoke about. Again, my post was to remind users that if they disliked the game, there were almost 4000 other games on this site that they were free to explore since, for whatever reason, everyone forgot that fact when they came here. I'm a tad annoyed at all of the assumptions you made in your post, but I understand where you're coming from. Welcome to the threadღ

Last edited:

N1ghtcrawler

May 29, 2023
Does the main character ever stop being such an annoying piece of shit human being?
Yes, Nika is an asshole sometimes. That's his defense mechanism against people who aren't nice to him. And perhaps I'm missing something, but if we ignore the beginning of the first chapter, he isn't even close to being a piece of shit human being.

William from WiAB on the other hand... The longer he stays in his hometown, the more he fits the description of who he was before. Unlike Nika, he is real scumbag. And I like it. I hope he will continue to change in that direction.

While SG is a story about healing, WiAB starts to remind me of movies like Refn's The Drive and Wingard's The Guest. I wouldn't be surprised if WiAB ends up with William chasing his enemies in his muscle car and crushing their heads with his boot while Leia takes over the city's criminal underworld. Maybe even Katie somehow will join their shady business.

William is already pushing criminal gangs against each other by acting behind their backs (reminds me of his possible daughter, apple and apple tree, ha-ha :devilish:). Sure, he knows the violence this could cause. Nika is a role model compared to him.

Especially when it happens in the elevator.
It's just the broken vent in the elevator finally started to work. :KEK:

xibuf

Apr 19, 2020
Yes, Nika is an asshole sometimes. That's his defense mechanism against people who aren't nice to him. And perhaps I'm missing something, but if we ignore the beginning of the first chapter, he isn't even close to being a piece of shit human being.

William from WiAB on the other hand... The longer he stays in his hometown, the more he fits the description of who he was before. Unlike Nika, he is real scumbag. And I like it. I hope he will continue to change in that direction.

While SG is a story about healing, WiAB starts to remind me of movies like Refn's The Drive and Wingard's The Guest. I wouldn't be surprised if WiAB ends up with William chasing his enemies in his muscle car and crushing their heads with his boot while Leia takes over the city's criminal underworld. Maybe even Katie somehow will join their shady business.

William is already pushing criminal gangs against each other by acting behind their backs (reminds me of his possible daughter, apple and apple tree, ha-ha :devilish:). Sure, he knows the violence this could cause. Nika is a role model compared to him.

It's just the broken vent in the elevator finally started to work. :KEK:
Whats WIAB?

• Wow
Reactions: Maviarab

neglection

Aug 22, 2022
Whats WIAB?
Where it All Began. It's another game from Ocean's and is also in development. It's a prequel from Summer's Gone, so a lot of character we see in SG are, somehow, related to the characters in WiAB (daughters, sons, some adults, etc.)

Recently, in SG's Ch.5 we are introduced to Katie Zane, she is the William's sister (MC from WiAB)

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Where it All Began. It's another game from Ocean's and is also in development. It's a prequel from Summer's Gone, so a lot of character we see in SG are, somehow, related to the characters in WiAB (daughters, sons, some adults, etc.)

Recently, in SG's Ch.5 we are introduced to Katie Zane, she is the William's sister (MC from WiAB)
It's not actually a prequel, it's literally the first game. SG is a continuation of the same universe with enough time having passed that it's not a direct sequel. WiaB's thread is dated 6 months earlier than SG. SG has been developed more as it is the more popular game. Due to the game having had an initial co-dev (Regium) who stopped developing it, SG required a lot more attention for Ocean to bring it back in line with his own aesthetic ...and that's historically where people's opinions on Ocean start getting heated. He supplied Regium with the script to SG, and when Regium left he gave the game back to Ocean. Suddenly Ocean had two Patreon accounts and two unfinished games. Ocean's first chapter as solo dev was Ch3 I think, and then he had to rework the earlier chapters to make the look consistent. WiaB looked inconsistent as Ocean got better, so he decided to rework that even though it had gotten to CH6, but because it was his first, he decided to start right from the start for a whole new framework.

I personally think he's done marvellously well to keep both active, and moving as fast as they did. I consider SG to have really started from the CH3 release in this sense, because Ocean has replaced everything that existed from the older dev (a sensible way to avoid legal issues when money is involved), so the game's first release for me was Jan 2021. If you consider than in that time Ocean has made 4.5 chapters of this game because of the complete rework (as obviously not all of his first attempt at ch3 was reworked), Ocean has delivered more than a full chapter per year. WiaB has been a bit slower in dev, because Ocean decided to start over, but it was Nov 2021 that the current version was started, so a chapter a year.

I know you didn't ask for all this, it's just there's a lot of people asking questions like this who haven't read the whole thread (and honestly who would unless they're a masochist?) So this is more a general response triggered by that one word 'prequel' which isn't quite right :) WiaB is the first movement of the composition, SG is the second, and we're yet to see how the themes will be echoed through the symphony. The dual development of two games might frustrate people who imagine they could get two chapters a year of SG instead of one, but it means Ocean can raise the suspense in both games.

In an ideal world I'd love to see them as one game where the chapters alternate, like some of the books I've read. We get the suspense the way Ocean intended, someone who plays maybe three seasons of SG in the future before they know about WiaB will not be surprised by some of the plot of WiaB. The more Ocean reveals about WiaB in SG, the less impact some of WiaB's decisions will make to the player (ie you'll make decisions because you know some of the consequences down the track).

neglection

Aug 22, 2022
It's not actually a prequel, it's literally the first game. SG is a continuation of the same universe with enough time having passed that it's not a direct sequel. WiaB's thread is dated 6 months earlier than SG. SG has been developed more as it is the more popular game. Due to the game having had an initial co-dev (Regium) who stopped developing it, SG required a lot more attention for Ocean to bring it back in line with his own aesthetic ...and that's historically where people's opinions on Ocean start getting heated. He supplied Regium with the script to SG, and when Regium left he gave the game back to Ocean. Suddenly Ocean had two Patreon accounts and two unfinished games. Ocean's first chapter as solo dev was Ch3 I think, and then he had to rework the earlier chapters to make the look consistent. WiaB looked inconsistent as Ocean got better, so he decided to rework that even though it had gotten to CH6, but because it was his first, he decided to start right from the start for a whole new framework.

I personally think he's done marvellously well to keep both active, and moving as fast as they did. I consider SG to have really started from the CH3 release in this sense, because Ocean has replaced everything that existed from the older dev (a sensible way to avoid legal issues when money is involved), so the game's first release for me was Jan 2021. If you consider than in that time Ocean has made 4.5 chapters of this game because of the complete rework (as obviously not all of his first attempt at ch3 was reworked), Ocean has delivered more than a full chapter per year. WiaB has been a bit slower in dev, because Ocean decided to start over, but it was Nov 2021 that the current version was started, so a chapter a year.

I know you didn't ask for all this, it's just there's a lot of people asking questions like this who haven't read the whole thread (and honestly who would unless they're a masochist?) So this is more a general response triggered by that one word 'prequel' which isn't quite right :) WiaB is the first movement of the composition, SG is the second, and we're yet to see how the themes will be echoed through the symphony. The dual development of two games might frustrate people who imagine they could get two chapters a year of SG instead of one, but it means Ocean can raise the suspense in both games.

In an ideal world I'd love to see them as one game where the chapters alternate, like some of the books I've read. We get the suspense the way Ocean intended, someone who plays maybe three seasons of SG in the future before they know about WiaB will not be surprised by some of the plot of WiaB. The more Ocean reveals about WiaB in SG, the less impact some of WiaB's decisions will make to the player (ie you'll make decisions because you know some of the consequences down the track).
You guys really love long awnsers :LOL: but, thanks! I didn't knew it wasn't exactly a "prequel" and I also didn't knew about the 2nd developer. Why did he quit though? And that's also the reason why the early chapter's from SG looks so different? Because it wasn't Ocean who made them?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
You guys really love long awnsers :LOL: but, thanks! I didn't knew it wasn't exactly a "prequel" and I also didn't knew about the 2nd developer. Why did he quit though? And that's also the reason why the early chapter's from SG looks so different? Because it wasn't Ocean who made them?
Yeah, I ramble :)

I don't know the reason for Regium quitting, it's most likely the same as every other dev that quits, they didn't have enough money to pay bills and took a job that took all their time. SG was a game that basically started at the start of the pandemic while WiaB was before. A lot of devs started games then, quite a few are abandoned as they were able to leave their house and get back a regular job. I don't know specifically if this was the case with Regium though, but this thread being just after the start of the pandemic, Ocean lets his friend develop one of Ocean's scripts because everyone's got to pull together to not go mad or something I guess?

In the current version CH5 beta there's very little of the renders from the first version left. I'm not quite sure exactly where the division was in Ch3, and how Ocean did it. Also, I think Ocean supplied models for earlier chapters, Ch1 Ayua is different from Ch2 in the early releases, so Ocean was helping with assets and renders from Ch2 onwards, then started the rework when he took over completely. Think in the Ch5 beta, the basketball game, the heist, and the physio for Vic are the main scenes that will be replaced in Season 1, making everything at least consistent with Ocean's style; nothing from the original 2 chapters will be left.

Reactions: neglection

N1ghtcrawler

May 29, 2023
In an ideal world I'd love to see them as one game where the chapters alternate, like some of the books I've read.
I'm not sure how events will unfold in the future, but right now I think both stories work better separately from each other. But WiAB should be the first and SG its sequel.

Funny thing. When chapter 5 came out I didn't even recognize Katie in it, I thought she was some new character. Only when I replayed WiAB because of chapter 3 I realized that it was actually her. Before that, I only had a suspicion that WiAB is a prequel. I didn't pay attention to the name of the college in SG at the time. That's probably the result of having a ton of faces and names dumped on your head at once and you have to remember them all at once.
Think in the Ch5 beta, the basketball game, the heist, and the physio for Vic are the main scenes that will be replaced in Season 1, making everything at least consistent with Ocean's style; nothing from the original 2 chapters will be left.
The physio for Vic looked kinda ok. I didn't immediately realize those were old renders.
But the basketball game was the worst. That includes the writing. It was so bad that I tried to finish it as quickly as possible.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I'm not sure how events will unfold in the future, but right now I think both stories work better separately from each other. But WiAB should be the first and SG its sequel.

Funny thing. When chapter 5 came out I didn't even recognize Katie in it, I thought she was some new character. Only when I replayed WiAB because of chapter 3 I realized that it was actually her. Before that, I only had a suspicion that WiAB is a prequel. I didn't pay attention to the name of the college in SG at the time. That's probably the result of having a ton of faces and names dumped on your head at once and you have to remember them all at once.
The physio for Vic looked kinda ok. I didn't immediately realize those were old renders.
But the basketball game was the worst. That includes the writing. It was so bad that I tried to finish it as quickly as possible.
Not a prequel - as I said in a post just a short while ago, WiaB was in development about 6 months earlier than SG.

The animation of Nika rubbing his arms and physio scene were probably some of Ocean's earliest of the new quality renders, he took a massive step forward. That's why the renders in Ch3 start getting better, and why he started the rework. It's 100% a sore thumb going back and seeing those, as well as the generic pool of cheap AVN assets that he had back then. He's invested a lot into buying and customising assets since. Same thing in the old WiaB - in chapter 6, Willi has three different models, and suddenly the quality of Leia's model stands out, the cinematic of her and Willi near the end of Ch6 really showed what Ocean could do, so I'm glad the whole game now looks like that, and even better.

People who get into SG because of steam will never even know what the first Ayua or Mila looked like, and won't know about the gun or the dolphin gag. In some ways It's be good to have played season 1 without having any history of the game to be honest. But then I've enjoyed seeing both games develop and grow from a stock standard appearance into something pretty unique.

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, I ramble :)

I don't know the reason for Regium quitting, it's most likely the same as every other dev that quits, they didn't have enough money to pay bills and took a job that took all their time. SG was a game that basically started at the start of the pandemic while WiaB was before. A lot of devs started games then, quite a few are abandoned as they were able to leave their house and get back a regular job. I don't know specifically if this was the case with Regium though, but this thread being just after the start of the pandemic, Ocean lets his friend develop one of Ocean's scripts because everyone's got to pull together to not go mad or something I guess?

In the current version CH5 beta there's very little of the renders from the first version left. I'm not quite sure exactly where the division was in Ch3, and how Ocean did it. Also, I think Ocean supplied models for earlier chapters, Ch1 Ayua is different from Ch2 in the early releases, so Ocean was helping with assets and renders from Ch2 onwards, then started the rework when he took over completely. Think in the Ch5 beta, the basketball game, the heist, and the physio for Vic are the main scenes that will be replaced in Season 1, making everything at least consistent with Ocean's style; nothing from the original 2 chapters will be left.
Didn't he die?
Might be just gossip, but that's what I read on Reddit

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Didn't he die?
Might be just gossip, but that's what I read on Reddit
I have no idea, but Ocean was able to get hold of the Patreon page, which he managed for Regium. What happened since then I don't know. Regium deleted their account here. If you go searching through the thread you'll find some stuff. Regium basically lost motivation after Ch1, Ocean started co-dev in Ch2, and then Regium abandoned it, and Ocean took over so Ocean's script didn't die. Ocean was sole dev from around the start of 2020.

What that means in terms of where Regium is now, no idea.

obito_momo

May 22, 2018
Yes it is, WIAB occurs earlier than SG. They both occur in the same city. It also has some of the same people like Stefan and Katie, and it also references the same family names like Zane. The main character for WIAB is also reference in SG.
thanks i was asking because the names i saw while playing it made me think that the Mc and Nami might be the son and daughter of william and liea
screenshot0004 (2).png screenshot0006 (2).png screenshot0005 (2).png

4.40 star(s) 497 Votes