PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
Then do an AVN yourself. Then you can show the world how to do it right. I hate this arrogance of people who think the whole world should speak perfect English. 17.1% of people on Earth speak Mandarin, 7.3% speak Hindi, 5.8% speak Spanish and only then comes English at 5.2%. May I ask how good is your Chinese and Hindi? I mean, with all the tech and the help available. It would be a poor excuse these days and age if you can't get it perfect.
You make a very good point about languages. I'm American and a native English speaker - but that is American English - versus the British or Australian versions of English. There are enough differences in which 'English' you speak to create nuances that are lost when viewed by those from a different country/culture.

I think Ocean does a good job with Summers Gone - the 'English' version - but I have no sense of what any Brit's or Aussie's think - so if any of those reading this thread hail from beyond the colonies - what are your thoughts?

As George Bernard Shaw (Irish writer) said of the U.S. and England - ' England and America are two countries divided by a common language.'

Cheers! :coffee:

John972

Apr 24, 2018
I think Ocean does a good job with Summers Gone - the 'English' version - but I have no sense of what any Brit's or Aussie's think - so if any of those reading this thread hail from beyond the colonies - what are your thoughts?
The English in SG is very easy to understand, even for those down under. I can't say I've noticed any or too may colloquialisms from one particular culture in SG (other than the use of the American school system). However, we're all so imbued with American culture from media (TV, movies) that maybe it's second nature to us non-Americans... : )

Besides, sometimes the best English speakers and easiest to understand (in my experience) are continental Europeans who speak and write it well as a second language, since they don't learn the dialects or colloquialisms prevalent in Britain, America, or the Commonwealth.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
The "redhead gene" is a recessive gene (there are in fact multiple genes involved, all recessive). It means that two non-redhead parents who both happen to have the redhead gene, can have a redhead child (25% chance), as well as non-redhead children.

Their non-redhead children also have a 66.6% chance to carry the same recessive redhead gene.
All true.

Just a reminder that using real life genetics logic in a game where the ugliest girl is a real world class beauty might not be appropriate. Genes in this town are almost magical!

JamesM81

Aug 14, 2022
All true.

Just a reminder that using real life genetics logic in a game where the ugliest girl is a real world class beauty might not be appropriate. Genes in this town are almost magical!
Right?!?! Ocean just seems hellbent on ruining my immersion. Can't he just throw a couple of 4's and 5's here and there, maybe a random blurry dude in the background? Not even TV shows aimed at teens get anywhere near the level of talent of the gene pool in this AVN.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
All true.

To be fair, this seems to be the case for many AVN's not just this one.

Reactions: Ayhsel

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Right?!?! Ocean just seems hellbent on ruining my immersion. Can't he just throw a couple of 4's and 5's here and there, maybe a random blurry dude in the background? Not even TV shows aimed at teens get anywhere near the level of talent of the gene pool in this AVN.
Poor thing Nancy alone will have to take the rap for all these beauties. And even she's above the average.

Reactions: Ayhsel and JamesM81

LostGhost

May 16, 2021
Should there be some special choices whenever mc choosing a Li path?
Like following choices to shape MC,
Kiss her back
Reject her
Think of Summer before kiss
Reject her think of summer

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
You make a very good point about languages. I'm American and a native English speaker - but that is American English - versus the British or Australian versions of English. There are enough differences in which 'English' you speak to create nuances that are lost when viewed by those from a different country/culture.
As a native german speaker trying to speak english, I can tell you that we almost never look at correct grammatical form and just go with what sounds (or reads) right. In many cases it works out, sometimes it doesn't. As long as the gist of what I'm trying to say gets through I feel like it does the job. Typos are a different animal altogether. Those should be caught by proofreaders. But again this is an AVN, not a dissertation. As long as the bewbs are rendered well I'm happy.

There is no shortage of out of shape and / or ugly model templates if Ocean wanted to use some. But as with most AVNs, the goal is to portrait an idealized version of reality. Otherwise we could just go outside. Just thinking about it makes me shiver in disgust.

Reactions: PaxHadrian17

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
As a native german speaker trying to speak english, I can tell you that we almost never look at correct grammatical form and just go with what sounds (or reads) right. In many cases it works out, sometimes it doesn't. As long as the gist of what I'm trying to say gets through I feel like it does the job. Typos are a different animal altogether. Those should be caught by proofreaders. But again this is an AVN, not a dissertation. As long as the bewbs are rendered well I'm happy.

There is no shortage of out of shape and / or ugly model templates if Ocean wanted to use some. But as with most AVNs, the goal is to portrait an idealized version of reality. Otherwise we could just go outside. Just thinking about it makes me shiver in disgust.
How dare you even hint about going outside. Blasphemy.

Reactions: DirtyMario

John972

Apr 24, 2018
Ocean does have plausible deniability, though. It's implied somewhere early in the game that ZPR is a hard college to get accepted into. Perhaps it's eligibility criteria is based on beauty and not scholastic ability (Damien got in 'cause he bears passing resemblance to a distinctive character on a famous TV show). /s :giggle:

John972

Apr 24, 2018
There will definitely be a sympathy angle for Melanie, we already have the Holgersons as antagonists to avenge, there will definitely be something with Melanie that will make make players think twice about revenge. Either she'll be vulnerable and seem genuinely remorseful for how she was when she was younger, before knowing MC knows her victims. Or there will be some sort of link to Summer that will make MC think twice.
With the two main 'revenge' plots currently going on:

1. Bella/MC against the Holgersons, which has already led to vandalism and robbery at the Holgerson household. MC wants to find a patsy for the robbery to clear Mila's name.

2. Zara/MC against Melanie Ceril (so far, a Keyser Söze-like character in the game :ROFLMAO:), who attends the elite Jackson & Schwartz College with Mario Holgerson and Vanessa, The revenge scheme isn't finalized yet.

Pure speculation, but perhaps the MC can " kill two birds with one stone" here:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
For those debating the MC (Nika)/Cheeto parentage, recall this little gem of a conversation between the MC and Zara in v.4.5:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There's so many ways to interpret that (do Nika/Nami really have different mothers or is the knowledge of the same mother hidden from them? If the latter, then why? What purpose does that serve?). What's also interesting, there is no mention of the father(s)...

DISCLAIMER: I have no view one way or the other yet, 'cause I don't really care outside of the story. I am presenting this purely in relation to the SG storyline. Any real world considerations such as Patreon rules are simply irrelevant. Ocean chose this dialogue in his latest chapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: yossa999

liberatorus

Jun 12, 2022
I have been playing this VN and enjoying it a lot so far. But I just reached the point in Chapter 2 where the rework is not yet done, and it broke my immersion, not because the renders are bad or anything (I have seen much worse) but because the characters look pretty different.

I am really interested in seeing where the story goes though. Does anyone know when the rework will be done, any estimated timeline for the next update? Also how about chapter 3, is the style closer to the rework? Or is that also planned to be redone?

Reactions: Don Sucio
4.30 star(s) 506 Votes