PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
But he made a mistake in choosing hardware. RTX4090 is cheaper and beats professional Ada 6000 in content creation.
Here is a piece of Ocean's last WIAB dev log (about 11 days ago):

There was no mistake... The A6000 ran out of VRAM for a scene.

I then optimized the shit out of the scene, even going as far as reducing the quality for all non-main cast characters to a degree I'd normally never go. I feel dirty.

Still, I watched its once so strong arms struggle to get the bar up.

I had no choice... I had to remove some characters from the scene... And with every character I removed, I felt as if a dagger pierced my heart.

Okay for real now, I actually thought the scene wouldn't even go beyond 32GB... But fuck me...

Here's a preview of said VRAM killing scene (Coming in at 45,6GB) (HOW?!)

Even a single A6000 was not up to Ocean's vision for part of this particular scene.

He is working on getting a monster workstation that will more than match the needs of the above referenced scene VRAM but for now, he had to do extra work because his current hardware did not match his vision.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
Does Ocean use Blender? If not, they should. You can have a mega complex scene and not require a monster g-card. Splitting a scene into different render layers then stich them all together in compositing automatically is a life saver for those with low to mid range PCs.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
+1 - I'd like to see more creators go the Workstation / Quadro card route versus buying gaming cards like 3090s / 4090s which just further drives up costs for gamers on hardware. The Quadro card, while obviously more expensive, is going to be a heckuva lot more efficient for a creator. It's designed specifically for these work load types, uses less power (A6000 Ada has 300W TDP board power versus 450W on a 4090), and in this comparison has twice the VRAM of a 4090.

I do understand early creators have cost issues which is why they end up using gaming cards early on, but once they get established, I wish more of them would use Quadro cards. Ocean's art quality and the size of the scenes he wants to build will be best served running multiple Quadro cards in NVLink configuration.
While the need for VRAM is understandable in Ocean's case, virtually no other artist shares that need. The complexity put into the work makes different solutions suitable for different developers.
The 4xxx series has adaptability advantages that the A6000 does not, and by adaptability, I mean that they are fast, cheap, and with enough VRAM for most of them (even in a proper configuration they can generate full 4090s rigs).
Everyone knows what they need and how to use it.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Does Ocean use Blender? If not, they should. You can have a mega complex scene and not require a monster g-card. Splitting a scene into different render layers then stich them all together in compositing automatically is a life saver for those with low to mid range PCs.
He's in the process of switching to Blender I believe.

Reactions: Thrway8113

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020

I then optimized the shit out of the scene, even going as far as reducing the quality for all non-main cast characters to a degree I'd normally never go. I feel dirty.

I had no choice... I had to remove some characters from the scene... And with every character I removed, I felt as if a dagger pierced my heart.

Okay for real now, I actually thought the scene wouldn't even go beyond 32GB... But fuck me...

Even a single A6000 was not up to Ocean's vision for part of this particular scene.

He is working on getting a monster workstation that will more than match the needs of the above referenced scene VRAM but for now, he had to do extra work because his current hardware did not match his vision.
Through a discussion in the WIAB thread, it was sort of understood that some of the parts that make up the scene were either buggy or had a bug that was consuming VRAM, but being so complex it would take Ocean too long to figure out which of all the models was causing it.

Kvothe94

Jun 11, 2020
Fk. This AVN is like some breath fresh air(is that a frase in English?).

One question tho. I know that 2 chapter will be reworked. I just don't get one thing. Is there some scenes were cut? Cause sometimes it feels like abrupt transition to next scene. That's one will be added too, if I right in my conclusion?

Kassandara

Aug 24, 2022
Ya I'd really like to do a Mila run; I like her a lot, I am just concerned she has an STD. Not sure if I can process that as it just feels 'icky' to me. Hope someone doing a Mila run will report back as we get deeper into the story on whether this is the case or not. I'm hopeful my fears are ill-founded.
Yeah I think she has an STD too, I'm still playing her path tho :BootyTime:

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022

I read this status report on WiAB. There are solutions to this problem. -
He can use two RTX4090s together and get the same 48 GB (rendering software can handle multiple graphics cards in one system and doesn't need any additional technology). It will still be cheaper - $3000 for 2xRTX4090 vs $5000-6000 for one Ada RTX6000. Of course, the power consumption will be much higher, but the savings when buying + fast rendering in my opinion are more profitable pluses.
- Scene optimization. Reducing the resolution of textures for objects in the background plus hiding objects that are out of view. I do this in DAZ, because I have weak hardware, I think there are similar utilities for Blender, which he uses. He uses background blur in most scenes, in which case I see no reason to make these objects in high resolution.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
While the need for VRAM is understandable in Ocean's case, virtually no other artist shares that need. The complexity put into the work makes different solutions suitable for different developers.
The 4xxx series has adaptability advantages that the A6000 does not, and by adaptability, I mean that they are fast, cheap, and with enough VRAM for most of them (even in a proper configuration they can generate full 4090s rigs).
Everyone knows what they need and how to use it.
I think many artists share the need but many work around it by lowering the number of characters / objects in a scene - how much bigger would certain games' scenes be (and more specifically how many extra characters would they be able to put into scenes and / or how much more detail could be added to animations and the like) if they had the hardware and by extension the freedom to not be limited; like I mentioned, I totally understand why early developers that are still working on building up support run what they can get their hands on - as you noted, the 4090 is significantly cheaper than an RTX Ada 6000 in upfront costs - like something around 4-5x the cost differential or thereabouts (rough estimate) so that is significant, and the 4090 can be stacked in NVLink as well, but some logistical challenges exist, there. The 4090 models are generally larger, physically, than a Quadro card due to the insane power requirements they have larger coolers on them. And due to the power requirements when under load, they put off significantly more heat which has to go somewhere. It'd be much easier to put 3-4 Quadro cards in a rig, than 4090s when considering space, heat, and power delivery requirements. Furthermore I know some countries have exorbitant costs for electricity - the 4090 uses 50% more power than an RTX Ada 6000.

Just some items to consider - ultimately people can do whatever they want; I don't want it to come across like I'm saying they can't do what they choose to, just putting my views on it out there. :) I know if I was a creator, I'd put a dedicated 30A circuit in for my rendering rig to run off of in a well-ventilated room and design the workstation to be able to hold (4) Quadro cards.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
He can use two RTX4090s together and get the same 48 GB (rendering software can handle multiple graphics cards in one system and doesn't need any additional technology).
DAZ doesn't work like that on multiple GPUs.

What it does is basically rendering different iterations of the same render in parallel on the two GPUs, so each GPU needs to be able to make that render on its own.

To give a different example if have 2 GPUs, 1 with 8GB and 1 with 16GB you cannot render a single picture that requires 10GB.

Reactions: hellomate1

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022

Ya I'd really like to do a Mila run; I like her a lot, I am just concerned she has an STD. Not sure if I can process that as it just feels 'icky' to me. Hope someone doing a Mila run will report back as we get deeper into the story on whether this is the case or not. I'm hopeful my fears are ill-founded.
Mila doesn't strike me as a young woman who sleeps around (much) and I am pretty sure she once mentioned to the MC she never had sex without condom, so the chance of getting an STD from her should be the lowest it can get for an non-virgin.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
DAZ doesn't work like that on multiple GPUs.

What it does is basically rendering different iterations of the same render in parallel on the two GPUs, so each GPU needs to be able to make that render on its own.

To give a different example if have 2 GPUs, 1 with 8GB and 1 with 16GB you cannot render a single picture that requires 10GB.
It's weird, because reading the DAZ forums on this topic and users write that it works fine with two GPUs (Iray mode), only it is desirable to have the same cards.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
Fk. This AVN is like some breath fresh air(is that a frase in English?).

One question tho. I know that 2 chapter will be reworked. I just don't get one thing. Is there some scenes were cut? Cause sometimes it feels like abrupt transition to next scene. That's one will be added too, if I right in my conclusion?
Ocean did about 2/3 of the rework for CH 2 in the most recent release (CH 4.5 Final). There is a significant difference when you bump from the reworked CH 2 content to the old CH 2 content.

The rework will be completed with CH 5 Beta or Final (not sure with the upcoming Steam release).

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Realistically, I don't see this game being finished before 6 to 7 years.
Yeah, I read that discussion yesterday too. They said that DPC has to learn how to limit themselves because he always finds a way to lenghten development and 9 to 12 months per update is the maximum people can take before they lose interest in the game. Wait, this isn't a BaDIK thread? O shi...

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
I read this status report on WiAB. There are solutions to this problem. -
He can use two RTX4090s together and get the same 48 GB (rendering software can handle multiple graphics cards in one system and doesn't need any additional technology). It will still be cheaper - $3000 for 2xRTX4090 vs $5000-6000 for one Ada RTX6000. Of course, the power consumption will be much higher, but the savings when buying + fast rendering in my opinion are more profitable pluses.
- Scene optimization. Reducing the resolution of textures for objects in the background plus hiding objects that are out of view. I do this in DAZ, because I have weak hardware, I think there are similar utilities for Blender, which he uses. He uses background blur in most scenes, in which case I see no reason to make these objects in high resolution.
4090s do not share VRAM if put together. It doesn't matter if you use 1, 2, 4, or 10. It's still just 24GB. If it was that easy to stack VRAM I'd never go for a Professional card.

For some reason, people think I don't know how to optimize scenes... I do everything to keep the VRAM and calculations as low as possible.
Don't listen to some artists/devs that render on SubD1 tell you that I don't know how to optimize properly.
I've been doing this for years and started with a 1060 6GB, I've gone through VRAM hell before SG was even out and know how to make it work.

I know of all the tools to do it, be it scene optimizer which I used back in 2019 for the old WiAB 0.2, and learned to never ever use it on a char, hide unused assets, lower res, or be mindful about the number of lights and caustics.

I know you meant no offense, but I've been getting kinda sick of hearing it.

I'm getting better and better cards to not have to compromise on quality.

Just some items to consider - ultimately people can do whatever they want; I don't want it to come across like I'm saying they can't do what they choose to, just putting my views on it out there. :) I know if I was a creator, I'd put a dedicated 30A circuit in for my rendering rig to run off of in a well-ventilated room and design the workstation to be able to hold (4) Quadro cards.
Sadly, the A6000 ADA has a lot less value than the old A6000.

And it comes down to a single thing... They removed the ability for the A6000 ADA to pool the VRAM to 96GB.
And this was the whole reason why I really wanted them... And I have done a lot of research to find if it still works via PCI-E (Which some claimed, others denied) and I doubt it does.

Meanwhile, the Ada costs 9500€, while the old one cost ~ 5000€ with the ability to scale up. (For the US people, keep in mind I live in Germany and GPUs are usually much more expensive.)

75% of the scenes I can render on 24GB.
The other 25% need more milk. (I also want cards to be future-proof for Blender.)
But in the past weeks, I came up with a better plan... I'm gonna talk about it in the next Dev Log.

Ocean did about 2/3 of the rework for CH 2 in the most recent release (CH 4.5 Final). There is a significant difference when you bump from the reworked CH 2 content to the old CH 2 content.

The rework will be completed with CH 5 Beta or Final (not sure about the upcoming Steam release).
It will be completed with the Full.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
4090s do not share VRAM if put together. It doesn't matter if you use 1, 2, 4, or 10. It's still just 24GB. If it was that easy to stack VRAM I'd never go for a Professional card.

For some reason, people think I don't know how to optimize scenes... I do everything to keep the VRAM and calculations as low as possible.
Don't listen to some artists/devs that render on SubD1 tell you that I don't know how to optimize properly.
I've been doing this for years and started with a 1060 6GB, I've gone through VRAM hell before SG was even out and know how to make it work.

I know of all the tools to do it, be it scene optimizer which I used back in 2019 for the old WiAB 0.2, and learned to never ever use it on a char, hide unused assets, lower res, or be mindful about the number of lights and caustics.

I know you meant no offense, but I've been getting kinda sick of hearing it.

No offense, it was more of a simple curiosity, so no hate. So if 4090 can't share VRAM, then this question with Ada is closed. Thanks for the explanation. This is more a question to Jacket Man (Huang) who has been fucking with us from one generation to another.

1060! Legend! Great GPU for its time...which I still use today. :LOL: :HideThePain: So the issue of optimization is a sore subject for me.

If quality is your goal, then I can say one thing. Follow your vision no matter what. :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018
Yeah, I read that discussion yesterday too. They said that DPC has to learn how to limit themselves because he always finds a way to lenghten development and 9 to 12 months per update is the maximum people can take before they lose interest in the game. Wait, this isn't a BaDIK thread? O shi...
Even if Badik updates take forever, at least the chapters are super long and there's already a ton of content with all the girls. However, I still prefer Summer's Gone story, MC, and girls. But man, at this rate, it's gonna be a looong wait. Maybe the developer needs to hire more folks or, you know, AI could swoop in and speed things up in the future. Who knows?

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Mila doesn't strike me as a young woman who sleeps around (much) and I am pretty sure she once mentioned to the MC she never had sex without condom, so the chance of getting an STD from her should be the lowest it can get for an non-virgin.
My thoughts on this were that she got the potential STD not from her own actions, but from those of her mom (since her mom is a whore and could have passed it along to her while pregnant with her). I hope this isn't the case, though.

Sadly, the A6000 ADA has a lot less value than the old A6000.

And it comes down to a single thing... They removed the ability for the A6000 ADA to pool the VRAM to 96GB.
And this was the whole reason why I really wanted them... And I have done a lot of research to find if it still works via PCI-E (Which some claimed, others denied) and I doubt it does.

Meanwhile, the Ada costs 9500€, while the old one cost ~ 5000€ with the ability to scale up. (For the US people, keep in mind I live in Germany and GPUs are usually much more expensive.)

75% of the scenes I can render on 24GB.
The other 25% need more milk. (I also want cards to be future-proof for Blender.)
But in the past weeks, I came up with a better plan... I'm gonna talk about it in the next Dev Log.
Wow that's crazy - is this limitation specific to the Ada card with Daz (is the same limitation present with Blender?) or does it affect all cards with potential NVLink VRAM stacking? I'll look forward to your dev log update. I used to run multi GPU for gaming for about 8-10 years so always enjoyed that aspect and potential for both games and development. Sad to hear if it's being limited. :( Definitely devalues the card as you noted and possibly others if it affects more than just that Ada card.

4.30 star(s) 504 Votes