Mr_Mister

Jan 9, 2020
Ocean may not have any personal experience of a panic attack, so maybe the way he pictures and describes it isn't accurate enough for those who have. I'm not one to know, so for me they look plausible and believable enough.
But the panic attack scene in the book club was to me one of the most beautifully made scenes of the game so far. Universally understandable and full of symbolism, some of which I may have not even recognized well enough.

Just let me recall it with some samples of the camera work I liked the most:

First render: Medium close-up shot of sweaty looking Nika, description of the first signs of the panic attack. Background music switches to A.W - Darkness Inside. Perfect for the scene.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Second shot: Camera moves away from Nika (would this be a movie, it would be a lean-out), he becomes smaller, all alone in a large empty room. As if the room is becoming larger compared to Nika, swallowing him (Is that arc in the back meant to look like a mouth about to swallow him or is it just me?)
Next shot: Nika from behind, the lights seem to go out, darkness falls over his mind.
- side view of Nika leaning onto the handrail of the balcony as the strength to stand up is leaving him.
- Medium close-up of Nika in the darkness, instinct to flee overwhelming his mind.
- A view of the room from down below the balcony, Nika looking for a way to escape in panic. Considering to jump...
- Nika suffocating, falling down next to the handrail. A single eerie looking light in the darkness, straight into the camera.
- An angelic silhouette appears, surrounded by the light like a halo.
- A side view medium close up of Nika and a rather angelic-looking Sasha. The light from behind reflecting from her blonde hair (still a reference to a halo, I think)
- Sasha puts a pill on Nikas tongue. (Is this a reference to Christian Holy Communion with the pill as the communion bread?)
- And their hands in close-up as Sasha is holding his hand.
- Next close up of Nika and Sasha, the normal lights come back, darkness fades. Sasha's hair still lighted from behind.
- Sasha's concerned face, beautiful close up: "Better?" And the music switching to Vesky - Thinking Of You.
- Nika and Sasha from behind, standing side-by-side, facing the light from the windows.
- Sasha and Nika in medium close-up, with Sasha in front and in focus, Nika out of focus. Sasha's side of the image is flooded by the light from the front and back, Nika's side has still a dark background, but he's looking into the light now (if this image is not symbolic, then call me clueless).

One of the best scenes. Excellent work, IMHO. Even if the panic attack doesn't look real enough or the pill likely can't be what it was called, Sertraline or whatever. I don't care. This scene works perfectly, it's beautiful, I love it.
rick-james.gif

Mr_Mister

Jan 9, 2020
I love the same scene as Penfold Mole, but I also see your point. But there is an element of "why does the MC have black hair?" At some point an author makes choices about the characters that seem superfluous, but they add a dimension to the character rather than functionality. Nika is already broken enough, but the panic attacks specifically deny his sense of self control. This is already present in his ED, but it's easier to show that he doesn't know how to feel normal in all kinds of situations. When neatly dressed up and chatting to people at the bookclub, we can easily assume by his internal dialogue that he feels competent and in control of himself. The panic attacks serve to show that there is a part of him that he hasn't accepted and doesn't know how to face.

The scene with Sasha is powerful because she brings him back to himself. There could easily be a different scene, but why not this scene? It's a great way to show for all NIka's belief he's smart and wise about how to manipulate himself, he isn't in control of as much as he thinks.
giphy32.gif

Den1mo

Aug 26, 2023
Sorry man, but if we apply your mindset to any game here on F95 probably 99% of MC's would end up alone. But keeping it inside the Summer's Gone world, why any girl would be with MC?
sure i agree with you. but difference is that priority for SG is realism and i don't think most of those games try to pretend they are doing something realistic. I've seen Ocean say it countless times so why are you creating a relationship that makes no sense? maybe there will be some good reason but if you look at it realistically there is none

as I said i would understand if relationship was based on that they are lovers. like Amber wants to fulfill some fantasies or desires or has a thing for young men. that's totally fine. but I don't see anything there this way

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
im new and dont know what is patchlewder? do i install it too
No the lewdpatcher is outdated and will bug the game. If you want to mod the game, ready up on the uncut mod linked on the first page - that does a similar thing but works with season 1. Keep in mind, a modded game might not have compatible saves with season 2, as unffocialy mods tend to do.

4.30 star(s) 524 Votes