Kenuichi

Aug 28, 2017
Just a quick reminder for you guys...don't try to change somoeone's mind who thinks DC's milking patreon because you won't make it and it's pointless because there will be still people with they're own mindset and opinions i tried a couple times and it didn't work,i've never complained about DC and i'm not a supporter of his but i really appreciate what he's doing and how much work put into this game,so yeah...don't get into long discussions,enjoy life and be thankful of every second that it gives you.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
Nothing is free. Without piracy/share you have to wait 24HR which worst than steam DRM games(most of which gets cracked within few hours). The point wasn't its "free" or he is making too much money, its the deception I was referring to. Yes its free after 24HR but is the content now worth 4+ months wait & $300k+ & 2 part? Streaming 2hr long tit drawing process doesn't make DC immutable from criticism.
Also isn't it suspicious that bugs were ~96/200 24hrs ago now its 90/129 bugs Fixed, I guess ranting did work & v20 will be released this Sunday(likely).
1. This game is.
2. Most DRM Games get cracked way after 24 hours like most AAA Titles.
3. How many years do AAA Titles need for development again?
4. As DC many times said if you can copy his Art Style 1:1 you are hired. If you know someone who can do that he can send his Art work to DC over Discord.
5. No as you could ask us Chat Mods or on Discord you would know that the bug counter was bugged and showed the bugs from last update instead of this release that was fixed later on.

No one is save from criticism if its constructive. Simply bashing a dev making money of his work when giving his game out for free is nothing but envy of bitter people who have nothing constructive to say.

I think you're in the wrong thread.
I am not. You missed some trolls ranting about how DC is scamming basically everyone with his free game and mods got rid of those people. I don't mind critique but straight up lying is where i and others have to adress it before they flood the Thread OT.

Page_Turner

May 23, 2017
Damn, I thought it'd be out by Friday. Maybe it'll be put sometime this weekend, but part of me isn't holding out hope :/

Keitaro420

Apr 17, 2018
1. This game is.
2. Most DRM Games get cracked way after 24 hours like most AAA Titles.
3. How many years do AAA Titles need for development again?
4. As DC many times said if you can copy his Art Style 1:1 you are hired. If you know someone who can do that he can send his Art work to DC over Discord.
5. No as you could ask us Chat Mods or on Discord you would know that the bug counter was bugged and showed the bugs from last update instead of this release that was fixed later on.

No one is save from criticism if its constructive. Simply bashing a dev making money of his work when giving his game out for free is nothing but envy of bitter people who have nothing constructive to say.

I am not. You missed some trolls ranting about how DC is scamming basically everyone with his free game and mods got rid of those people. I don't mind critique but straight up lying is where i and others have to adress it before they flood the Thread OT.
The fact that DC is looking for an artist to replicate his art is an excuse, he might as well hire someone for the backgrounds and scenarios.
The matter of DC making a lot of money is something we should not comment on, since it is his creation and he can do whatever he wants with it and people are free to donate, but that does not take away the fact that DC is milking profits at the expense of the Summertime Saga.
And although it may sound bad the last thing I said, it's normal behavior for a business, but I'm surprised that many people defend it as if DC was a philanthropist or something.

Edit:
What I'm saying is not against DC, I love Summertime saga, but one thing doesn't take away the other.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
The fact that DC is looking for an artist to replicate his art is an excuse, he might as well hire someone for the backgrounds and scenarios.
The matter of DC making a lot of money is something we should not comment on, since it is his creation and he can do whatever he wants with it and people are free to donate, but that does not take away the fact that DC is milking profits at the expense of the Summertime Saga.
And although it may sound bad the last thing I said, it's normal behavior for a business, but I'm surprised that many people defend it as if DC was a philanthropist or something.

Edit:
What I'm saying is not against DC, I love Summertime saga, but one thing doesn't take away the other.
Yeah totally an Excuse if they can't copy the Art Style nor get even the backgrounds right. Cause that happend so often in the past that DC then had to redraw everything which lead to even more work was such a great idea that now if you can't copy the Art before you apply you won't get the job anymore.

Claiming DC is milking his patreons is just completely absurd. No one forces anyone to donate. Nothing is beyond a paywall or anything of that kind. The Fact of the matter is if you wait 24 hours you can play the game regardless of you paying or not. How that is considered milking is beyond me.

Why shouldn't i or others defend it? He is not milking nor does he put anything beyond a paywall. Yet people claim he his when the evidence clearly shows the opposite.
He is transparent in his streams about his work and even personal life. So no clue where all this hate comes from always before a release. If people are impatient thats one thing. Straight up lying is another thing.

Yes what you are saying is against DC as you imply he does prolong an update for personal gain. Which if you would watch the streams is far from the truth. Everything from background to Characters and animations is drawn by himself. He did hire other Art Workers in the past and it always turned out horrible where he had to redo their work as well.

So most of those claims come from people either not knowing whats up in the first place or straight made up stuff inside their heads.
I don't have a problem with critique of any game as i do that myself but i can't wrap my head around the fact that so many people who love his work and his game are straight up making up stuff because (insert fucked up reasoning here) they can't wait for the update to drop.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Well, both are very likely wrong. Of course he would not do it (for long) without earning money and he's proven to some degree that he'll go down ways which are popular among the playerbase for those reasons. That's indeed not philanthropic and he never claimed it was.

"Milking" on the other hand is just a overused buzzword in this context. Of course he could handle it like AdaptusSteve and others, promise to grow his company with more and more patreon goals. But to me it seems like he rejects that approach for personal reasons and simply wants to work on his terms, without a big team to avoid all the inevitable troubles that come along with it. I mean, according to himself he worked in the animation industry for almost 10 years ending in a slightly elevated position (I think he mentioned Blue Sky Studios once) and I totally get that he doesn't want to repeat that by creating that same work environment again himself. So if there ever was a second artist, it seems like it would have to be the perfect fit on almost every level and not just "some dude" who can draw.

If he prefers to draw his game himself, that's the game people are going to get and that's the speed in which the game will be finished. If everybody would at least accept tha, the discussion would be way more productive. And yes, it's indeed not the very typical business approach of maximum growth, a normal company would take.
And let's not pretend it doesn't have drawbacks. People tend to overlook at the funding/patreon numbers of SS have bascially stalled during those last ~12 months, which in my opinion happened because he didn't grow his team and because updates are rare. If he had hired a second arists and would release updates significantly more often, he'd very, very likely make quite a bit more money by now. Other devs like Adaptus Steve or NLT have basically more than doubled their numbers in the same timeframe. DC hasn't.

Last edited:

JKH18

Jan 16, 2018
How's it even possible for DC to "milk" his patrons? The whole platform is based on voluntary donations, and the amount of money he makes is completely unrelated to the pace of his work and update schedule. How in the f.ck is that "milking"? :O The way some people here seem to resent someone making money just comes off as pathetic to be honest. Seems to me that there's a lot of games represented on this site, that have been in development just as long or longer than SS, and the only reason people aren't bitching and moaning about those other titles is the fact that DC makes real money. A feat he's achieved because of his consistency and high quality of work compared to other devs.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018

Edit:
You might want to consider that this project is DC's baby, and he might have an issue doing the same stuff all the time and leaving things to other hired artists that he would very much do himself for a change. Why should he change his work style to something that you find more adequate, but makes work for him less enjoyable? Do you want him to abandon the project after all because it became a boring assembly-line work?

Edit: Somebody should go tell this dnzieg guy that a facepalm also counts as a like. But I guess that requires at least one post of him that can be answered...

Last edited:

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
I really hope he stays with this exact "new mia" now. I really liked her old sprite and it's nice that he left her basically unchanged.
There's just something that seems "off" with the new Mia's eyes.

(Not @ anyone in particular)
Why is it that on virtually every game post here, there's always at least one person willing to shit on another's success?

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
Yeah totally an Excuse if they can't copy the Art Style nor get even the backgrounds right. Cause that happend so often in the past that DC then had to redraw everything which lead to even more work was such a great idea that now if you can't copy the Art before you apply you won't get the job anymore.

Claiming DC is milking his patreons is just completely absurd. No one forces anyone to donate. Nothing is beyond a paywall or anything of that kind. The Fact of the matter is if you wait 24 hours you can play the game regardless of you paying or not. How that is considered milking is beyond me.

Why shouldn't i or others defend it? He is not milking nor does he put anything beyond a paywall. Yet people claim he his when the evidence clearly shows the opposite.
He is transparent in his streams about his work and even personal life. So no clue where all this hate comes from always before a release. If people are impatient thats one thing. Straight up lying is another thing.

Yes what you are saying is against DC as you imply he does prolong an update for personal gain. Which if you would watch the streams is far from the truth. Everything from background to Characters and animations is drawn by himself. He did hire other Art Workers in the past and it always turned out horrible where he had to redo their work as well.

So most of those claims come from people either not knowing whats up in the first place or straight made up stuff inside their heads.
I don't have a problem with critique of any game as i do that myself but i can't wrap my head around the fact that so many people who love his work and his game are straight up making up stuff because (insert fucked up reasoning here) they can't wait for the update to drop.
There have been a few fan artists in recent months that actually can replicated DC's work and quality quite well. Just look at some of the fanart featured in SS discord server. There is also currently another artist I know of in that server who applied for assistant artist with DC. From the screenshots he posted in the group, DC seems quite approving but wants them to be more consistent and fluid in his implementation of DC's style. There is still some hope there and since SS is still quite a ways to go, they very well might be accepted in Team Kompass if they keep it up. Maybe the work will speed up then.

4.10 star(s) 357 Votes