Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
That's a lot more downloads than I thought, but it's since the inception and the dev only pays for the "uncapped" download for Patreons - so ~30k people. He's not paying for petabytes annually.
His download links on his website is to download for free -- not just his subscribers. So, yes, it is entirely conceivable that he is paying for over a million downloads per year from his website, equaling over a petabyte of bandwidth -- especially when he has had updates in the past. Particularly when the tech update is ever finally released - his mega account, alone, will be sucking up bandwidth like a thirsty sailor in a bar on shore leave.
Shouldn't take long to voice those few lines of text, right? :Kappa:
God, and can you imagine the whineage then... "But that's not how I think Debbie sounds when she moans!!!" and "Why can't we get Roxxy's V/O in this update, why did they do Eve first??"

Last edited:

raif78

Oct 17, 2020
His download links on his website is to download for free -- not just his subscribers. So, yes, it is entirely conceivable that he is paying for over a million downloads per year from his website, equaling over a petabyte of bandwidth -- especially when he has had updates in the past. Particularly when the tech update is ever finally released - his mega account, alone, will be sucking up bandwidth like a thirsty sailor in a bar on shore leave.
God, and can you imagine the whineage then... "But that's not how I think Debbie sounds when she moans!!!" and "Why can't we get Roxxy's V/O in this update, why did they do Eve first??"
Not quite, the Patreons get their own private servers (Where the cost would be) - everything else is on Mega / etc.

But, imagining he pays for the full transfer on Mega (By which I mean he uses his transfer quota for the files, which I don't think is the case) for 1 PB a year, it's still only €215 / month...

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Not quite, the Patreons get their own private servers (Where the cost would be) - everything else is on Mega / etc.

But, imagining he pays for the full transfer on Mega (By which I mean he uses his transfer quota for the files, which I don't think is the case) for 1 PB a year, it's still only €215 / month...
Look, I can tell you just want to be a contrarian (Petabytes? Absurd! --- The game is that popular? Poppycock! --- Provides bandwidth for everyone to download? Balderdash! --- Oh well, it only costs €215 / month, big deal). So, here, I'll agree with you - Yes, I know the average cost for 1 petabyte of bandwidth annually from Mega is about 215 euros per month. Some months it could be as low as 40-60 euros on their flex plan, but during peak times (such as during update releases) it can go over 1,000 euros. But, yes, on an average.

Further, however -- that's just one of the business costs that people forget about of which I mentioned a few in my initial reply. There's business taxes, attorney fees, fees for accounting, promotions when needed, contractor fees to pay for the staff, etc. Doing business costs money. All of those add up. Is DC making good money? Sure. I never said he wasn't, in fact I've agreed every time that he's making good money -- but he's not pocketing every dollar that his subscribers send on Patreon, like many people seem to think when they are whining about how much he is getting and that things could go faster if he just threw more money at it.

• Angry
Reactions: GaRbS

raif78

Oct 17, 2020
Look, I can tell you just want to be a contrarian (Petabytes? Absurd! --- The game is that popular? Poppycock! --- Provides bandwidth for everyone to download? Balderdash! --- Oh well, it only costs €215 / month, big deal). So, here, I'll agree with you - Yes, I know the average cost for 1 petabyte of bandwidth annually from Mega is about 215 euros per month. Some months it could be as low as 40-60 euros on their flex plan, but during peak times (such as during update releases) it can go over 1,000 euros. But, yes, on an average.

Further, however -- that's just one of the business costs that people forget about of which I mentioned a few in my initial reply. There's business taxes, attorney fees, fees for accounting, promotions when needed, contractor fees to pay for the staff, etc. Doing business costs money. All of those add up. Is DC making good money? Sure. I never said he wasn't, in fact I've agreed every time that he's making good money -- but he's not pocketing every dollar that his subscribers send on Patreon, like many people seem to think when they are whining about how much he is getting and that things could go faster if he just threw more money at it.
You was claiming high costs, even stating exabytes, and me calling that out isn't being contrarian.

The idea that the game receives over 1 million downloads a year is probably not accurate, but even if it was - the costs of hosting it on someone elses infrastructure is a fraction of what he receives per month, a very small fraction at that... and this is the worse case scenario.

Anyway, I guess my point is you made what seem to be overblown statements on figures you don't really know as a kind of "Gotcha, maybe he isn't making as much as you think!" - I can't speak for how much he pays the other people on the team (And neither can anyone here, probably) - but lets not act like he's hemorrhaging money with 27k patreons right now over a 1.1 GB download (Of which, most isn't downloaded from his server or even from his own pocket).

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You was claiming high costs, even stating exabytes, and me calling that out isn't being contrarian.
I never claimed high costs - I have always claimed costs, period. Costs that people don't consider when they start their whinging on and on about how much DC's Patreon account brings in. You called me out on petabytes, not my other claim of possible exabytes. The exabytes claim which I already admitted I made a mistake about because of doing the math in my head and misplacing zeros, at the same time standing my ground on petabytes. I showed my sources from how I got my estimates - you didn't refute them then once I showed you, but do so now. You didn't offer any sources or any numbers to refute. You keep moving the goal posts, I get it. I get it.

I stand by my estimates based upon the data I have found. You simply saying "I don't believe it" without offering any sources in opposition doesn't further the conversation nor does it seek to find a common ground between the sides - we're at an impasse and so I won't waste any more of my time. Enjoy your day.
Because it is his fulltime job probably,its either that or this guy is a complete idiot.
Projection is a terrible reflection of ones self-evaluation.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
Then why are YOU keep replying to everyone ? You can too "ignore both the comments and replies if it bothers you".
You are dedicated with this replies, Like it's your fulltime job !
his answers are helpful, if people start reading old pages instead of taking and writing, Count Morado don't give constant explanations for the misinformation there is

Daemontan

Jun 22, 2023
Nope, it wasn't supposed to be 3 updates per year. It has always been about releasing an update when they think it's ready.

After the 6th pre-tech update, they decided to nix them and focus strictly on the tech update.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
They've decided to share monthly written reports on Patreon about how the tech update is going until it is finally released. No, they don't know when and the subscribers know that it is going to be awhile. In the meantime, DC continues to stream regularly on Picarto working on art for other updates and ideas for the game while the poser and coding staff work through their bottlenecked tasks, since the art is considered complete for the tech update.

Finally, see #10 here for the link to 29 May's report: #71,087
I see you know a lot. I've been wondering for a long time where the Summertime Saga website's server is. I like the structure of the website, but I don't see the developer, the location. I have seen websites with a similar structure. The site must also allow adult content.

Daemontan

Jun 22, 2023
The tech update, while probably being necesarry at some point to implement, has been and continues to be a shitshow and a pretty big embarrassement.
I'm at the beginning of the game. I saw that there are also new scenes in the technical upload. What's wrong with the scenes?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I'm at the beginning of the game. I saw that there are also new scenes in the technical upload. What's wrong with the scenes?
The tech update isn't released and is taking (so far) 4 to 8 times longer than initially expected. That is why it is considered a shitshow and pretty big embarrassment. There isn't expected to be new content in the tech update when it is released, but some new locations and some select reworked art - as well as the display ratio changed from 4:3 to 16:9. Read #10 in my FAQ here: #71,087 to find a link to what was originally planned and what the 29 May report says is the current status of the tech update.
I've been wondering for a long time where the Summertime Saga website's server is.
The nameserver for both the public website and the supporter website (kompasproductions) is Cloudflare - and most likely at least one of the servers the website hosting service uses would be in the United States with redundancy servers in several other countries, as is usually the case with web hosting companies. The adult content that is seen in Summertime Saga is legal and allowed in many countries around the world, so hosting the site wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, the content

Daemontan

Jun 22, 2023
The tech update isn't released and is taking (so far) 4 to 8 times longer than initially expected. That is why it is considered a shitshow and pretty big embarrassment. There isn't expected to be new content in the tech update when it is released, but some new locations and some select reworked art - as well as the display ratio changed from 4:3 to 16:9. Read #10 in my FAQ here: #71,087 to find a link to what was originally planned and what the 29 May report says is the current status of the tech update.
The nameserver for both the public website and the supporter website (kompasproductions) is Cloudflare - and most likely at least one of the servers the website hosting service uses would be in the United States with redundancy servers in several other countries, as is usually the case with web hosting companies. The adult content that is seen in Summertime Saga is legal and allowed in many countries around the world, so hosting the site wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, the content
Thanks for the reply! You helped a lot!

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Is the dev still working alone, or has he hired someone to help with the more tech stuff?
The developer hasn't been working alone for quite a few years (years before the tech update was started) including a writer, several art posers, and a coder. Is this simply asked for one of your three posts required to be able to post links in the forums?

Unless he changes his mind, he's at the level of staff he wants to work on the game. He's had several coders in the past (including himself) which have created a hodge-podge of code - and one of the tech update goals is to bring the code into one style, etc which hopefully makes it less of a hassle to continue to add new code for new content. At the same time, there is the mobile market he is considering since it's his largest audience share - so there's some consideration in the coding for that, as well.

Stone Flower

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2023
The developer hasn't been working alone for years including a writer, several art posers, and a coder. Is this asked as just one of your three posts required to be able to post links in the forums? Because this is well known information.
I was truly curious. I should have checked first thought, but yeah, it was also the three required posts.

• Haha
Reactions: Count Morado

TGafy

May 14, 2020
People are acting in here like this is Innocent Witches where after 7 years there's barely ANY content at all.
I agree that since they've started on this tech update endeavor, there's been barely any NEW content at all.
As for the entirety of the project, there's a mountain-load of content. I remember when I first played this, it took me over three weeks until I ran out of routes to clear. Other games I've played here only lasted a few hours, maybe an afternoon.
Don't know what you played, but it wasn't SS.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes