jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Actually horndogg16 there are some girls where it doesn't matter (Sis and Cousin) but some who are optional.

You can break up with Nicky
You can skip all Vicky sex, she is only the chef
You can skip the twins, they are only party planners / business consultants
You can easily skip all Yuki and she only helps with fix up
You can skip Trish and she is barely in the story at all
You can skip interest in Dee and she just decorates

So there is a lot of choice but not with main story, which is common to 90% OF VN's

• Angry
Reactions: Raptus Puellae

Blue Angel

Oct 10, 2017
The ipatch doesn't seem to work with the newest 0.0.5.1 version. I have exactly the same errors than some people on previous pages.

Blue Otter Games

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020
I do appreciate where the game goes story-wise. The dialogue seemed a bit stiff in the 0.5 release, but I would take that any time over misspelled or wonky dialogue that a turtle could have written.

Mr.Dots, here's to the ones who care about the story as much as they do the fap!

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
This episode was so weird.

Your sister is missing and she left her phone behind, which is a bad sign. Yet you spend the day hanging out with and casually asking your friends if they've seen her. They also don't seem very worried or even indifferent to it.

I feel like anyone else would've been worried and looking everywhere for their loved one if they went missing. Especially knowing what happened just before she went missing.

It isn't a realistic reaction to be so casual when your loved one is missing. For all we knew the ex BF got her.

kerlorn

Aug 28, 2019
From a purely physical point of view, I think Shortcake, Yuki and Connie are basically the same, with only the face and type (redhead, asian, brunette) changing.
It's a shame and a missed opportunity in my opinion to add Connie and have another clone, I would have preferred more variety, with maybe Connie having a bit more curves for example, without falling into a Kiristina.
There is also something about the model, maybe the skin texture I don't know, that makes her "grey" and lacking the appeal that other models have in the game ; she looks quite generic, I would say.
But that's my opinion, maybe some people like her.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I second that, jamdan. This was a very strange update compared to the last few. The dialog was uncharacteristically thin and stilted. The characters acted very unrealistically too, especially step-sis. I mean, I expect this in a lot of the crappy VNs here where the sister has a total platonic relationship their whole life and suddenly turns into a sex-fiend hot for brother overnight, but Mr. Dots is usually better than that.

And the story in general. The step-sis was especially annoying this update. They seemed to be getting along OK, better than OK even, with the MC going out of his way to help his sister with her hotel, and she suddenly decides disappear, without a note and without any warning, leaving her phone behind intentionally so the MC cannot communicate with her, and leaves her brother in charge of her hotel all by himself, for days. It is one thing if she is just on her own, but they are supposed to be business partners. He is helping her bring the hotel back from ruin, not running everything himself. Who needs a business partner, and your own sister no less, that is unreliable and can't be trusted, and is so selfish that she would make her whole family and friends think that something terrible had happened? She knew everyone would be concerned at her sudden dissapearance, and didn't care enough to even leave a note saying she would be gone for a few days, please take care of things, and don't worry?

And Connie is terrible too. I get that her father is not very warm to her, but can you imagine an 18 year old refusing to attend her all expenses paid fancy penthouse birthday party, running away from home, hiding out from her family, and refusing any contact because there isn't going to be a pool? Seriously? I was lucky to have a party at the local pizza place rather than the nearby park or my own backyard. And we are supposed to sympathize with her?

And the facial expressions. Oh my god. I laughed a lot during this update, and not in a good way, since the scenes were supposed to be serious. Each character only has 4 facial expressions, and it is the same for everyone. Every minor surprise has the characters show extreme shock, mouth open, wide eyed, with their hand to their mouth as if the MC suddenly turned into an alien. And it keeps happening, every scene.

I really don't know what happened this update. I used to praise SL for good writing, compared to Mr. Dots other games, but this update was a large step down in quality of the dialog and story.

Last edited:

Blue Otter Games

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020
I second that, jamdan. This was a very strange update compared to the last few. The dialog was uncharacteristically thin and stilted. The characters acted very unrealistically too, especially step-sis. I mean, I expect this in a lot of the crappy VNs here where the sister has a total platonic relationship their whole life and suddenly turns into a sex-fiend hot for brother overnight, but Mr. Dots is usually better than that.

And the story in general. The step-sis was especially annoying this update. They seemed to be getting along OK, better than OK even, with the MC going out of his way to help his sister with her hotel, and she suddenly decides disappear, without a note and without any warning, leaving her phone behind intentionally so the MC cannot communicate with her, and leaves her brother in charge of her hotel all by himself, for days. It is one thing if she is just on her own, but they are supposed to be business partners. He is helping her bring the hotel back from ruin, not running everything himself. Who needs a business partner, and your own sister no less, that is unreliable and can't be trusted, and is so selfish that she would make her whole family and friends think that something terrible had happened? She knew everyone would be concerned at her sudden dissapearance, and didn't care enough to even leave a note saying she would be gone for a few days, please take care of things, and don't worry?

And Connie is terrible too. I get that her father is not very warm to her, but can you imagine an 18 year old refusing to attend her all expenses paid fancy penthouse birthday party, running away from home, hiding out from her family, and refusing any contact because there isn't going to be a pool? Seriously? I was lucky to have a party at the local pizza place rather than the nearby park or my own backyard. And we are supposed to sympathize with her?

And the facial expressions. Oh my god. I laughed a lot during this update, and not in a good way, since the scenes were supposed to be serious. Each character only has 4 facial expressions, and it is the same for everyone. Every minor surprise has the characters show extreme shock, mouth open, wide eyed, with their hand to their mouth as if the MC suddenly turned into an alien. And it keeps happening, every scene.

I really don't know what happened this update. I used to praise SL for good writing, compared to Mr. Dots other games, but this update was a large step down in quality of the dialog and story.
I gotta second this. And as much as I appreciate Mr. Dots caring about the story, the flavor of these recent releases are a little lacking. The same lip pucker for every character in every game (Melody did this a lot ) is a bit underwhelming for a dev of this tier.

And while I'm okay looking further than the face models, it's the insertion of these characters between the fibers of others that feels weird. What is Connie's hook, exactly? Furthering the hotel? That could have been explored without heavy interaction with the MC. So many side characters are being tossed in like a chef special salad, and the releases aren't using them for more than a moment before introducing more. Vickie feels wayside as well now.

I don't know, I would just appreciate more time with the characters already established. You can move plot with the characters you have. I still really like the game, that's just what I'm thinking where it's at right now.

TommyTuba

Engaged Member
Aug 2, 2017

I think the silly facial expressions, especially the lip biting one, are Mr. Dots' trademark. :D

• Thinking Face
Reactions: jaw1986baby

labolt

Oct 12, 2019
I don't usually comment on game threads, but I must do it on this one.

I played this game and I absolutely loved it! It was one of the best games I've played. The story was nice, the CG was amazing and the girls were something new to the usual models i see used in every other VN.

Love your work and I will definitely support you so you make more of these!!

PS: Best girl, cousin!!

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Smarmint

The dialog, not just for this game but the others too, are the biggest weakness of MrDots games. Often too long-winded and the emotional stuff is too robotic. I don't think the writers immerse themselves as the characters as they write so they don't get the emotions right and that leads to other weird reactions too. Melody didn't have this issue, but at the same time that was the one game where the writers made a simple romance game, not so much a sex game. And speaking of sex games, the sexual content in this game is very out of place to me. In this update, as his sister was missing, he had sex with one of the hotel people and let the sister's mom give him a lap dance. That is so callous. "Hey so my daughter is missing, but let me give you a lap dance real quick". WTF?

And I think Connie is mostly in the game for drama reasons. I do think there are already too many characters in the game too, that same issue happened with DMD. I would have preferred her look to be different, as a previous comment noted she is basically Shortcake 2.0 from that perspective.

You only need maybe 5 or so LI's for this game's plot. Sis, Cousin, Mom and 2 hotel workers. Not including the GF, but I don't count her as a LI. I think they try to have a LI for every niche or physical profile, not realizing girls can be multi-dimensional and have more than 1 role. So you end up with 3 different Loli's, 4 MILF's, 3 different "teens" and a D look-a-like. That results in the girls not getting enough screen time or a more plausible development. I think that is a lot more manageable on a longer update schedule, but doing an update per month is too demanding from a story POV.

Dots always uses the same few facial expressions. He doesn't mess around with the sliders, it's quicker to use the pre-made ones. The expressions in this game as the same ones as in DMD and Melody, someone posted a picture of it in this thread I think. I think this is another casualty of the monthly updates, you can't spend time getting quality expressions when you have a few hundred renders and a dozen animations to do this month.

AbrahamFroman

Jun 8, 2018
monroe

Please edit to OP that for Patreon version there is a patch needed
these are the step-by-step installation instructions and the patch

important note:
Android version of patreon CAN NOT BE PATCHED (with this patch)
Subscribestar version DOES NOT NEED TO BE PATCHED
Only use this patch if you are playing a version from Patreon!

EDIT: from Version 3.1 (and above) there will be different ipatches needed for patreon versions every update!

UPDATED patch to v.0.5

in case you need older version's ipatch for some reason -> you can download it on our
FYI: The ipatch mod needs to be updated for version 0.0.5.1 - Thanks

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Smarmint

The dialog, not just for this game but the others too, are the biggest weakness of MrDots games. Often too long-winded and the emotional stuff is too robotic. I don't think the writers immerse themselves as the characters as they write so they don't get the emotions right and that leads to other weird reactions too. Melody didn't have this issue, but at the same time that was the one game where the writers made a simple romance game, not so much a sex game. And speaking of sex games, the sexual content in this game is very out of place to me. In this update, as his sister was missing, he had sex with one of the hotel people and let the sister's mom give him a lap dance. That is so callous. "Hey so my daughter is missing, but let me give you a lap dance real quick". WTF?
That's the way Hearsz writes, people who can make good screenplays often find other work. Melody was pretty similar, IMO, just no family relations at all. It is stated in game multiple times by multiple people who know sis better than MC that her going off isn't too strange or worrisome and mostly because of her mom. So mom being like, "hey it's no time to panic, wanna see me dance?" fits her char IMO.
Smarmint

You only need maybe 5 or so LI's for this game's plot. Sis, Cousin, Mom and 2 hotel workers. Not including the GF, but I don't count her as a LI. I think they try to have a LI for every niche or physical profile, not realizing girls can be multi-dimensional and have more than 1 role. So you end up with 3 different Loli's, 4 MILF's, 3 different "teens" and a D look-a-like. That results in the girls not getting enough screen time or a more plausible development. I think that is a lot more manageable on a longer update schedule, but doing an update per month is too demanding from a story POV.
While it may be good to cast a wide net and hit the array of popular LI types for increased audience, there is also playing to your apparent strengths and over filling the popular ones. Numerous polls and feedback show tremendous love for Elena in DMD and Shortcake here. Also E + J + D and F in DMD is the absolute TOP choice in polls for distinguished routes. So giving some room for Loli choice just seems prudent. I admit I am very biased on this topic as I love, love, love Shortcake and all the Lolis. But catering to your paying audience is never a bad business plan
Smarmint

Dots always uses the same few facial expressions. He doesn't mess around with the sliders, it's quicker to use the pre-made ones. The expressions in this game as the same ones as in DMD and Melody, someone posted a picture of it in this thread I think. I think this is another casualty of the monthly updates, you can't spend time getting quality expressions when you have a few hundred renders and a dozen animations to do this month.
I believe it is stated here or in the DMD thread that expediency very likely leads to reuse. But taking longer for updates is WAY, WAY, WAY more likely to spark grumbling amongst the Patrons than some reuse of facial expressions...

Again everything here IMO
(But I am also a SubscribeStar sub)

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I believe it is stated here or in the DMD thread that expediency very likely leads to reuse. But taking longer for updates is WAY, WAY, WAY more likely to spark grumbling amongst the Patrons than some reuse of facial expressions...
Yes, I get that. But can't they come up with more than 4 expressions? Spend a day or two with Daz and save another 10 expression templates. With 14 expressions it would be less noticable than only having 4. It isn't the end of the world, but it breaks the immersion in the story to see the same pouting expression or the same extreme shocked look every 30 seconds in the game. I don't really notice this in all the other games I play, maybe the expressions are more subtle so I don't notice when they are repeated.

You are right there. That is what annoyed me about DMD, the dialog is so robotic and the story so repetitive. Melody has better dialog, that is true, but the story also got very repetitive at the end. It was looking to me like Sunshine Love was going to be an improvement on both games. The story and dialog was a lot better prior to this update. But this latest update is, unfortunately, a return to form for Mr. Dots.

Also, the sex scenes made no sense. I could sort of accept the masseuse giving a sexy massage that leads to sex, since I guess she is supposed to be a nymphomaniac, and she isn't really close with the sister, so she doesn't really care that she is missing, but the mother giving her stepson a lap dance, while he is at her house worried about her daughter? Totally out of place how a reasonable character would act.

At least shortcake acted somewhat reasonable this update, she seemed to be concerned that the sister was missing, and acted like a normal person.

I think you identified the main problem. There are too many characters being thrown at the game before you really build much of a relationship with any of them, or they have a chance to form their own personalities in the story, so all the interactions have been quite superficial. What happened to Yuki, for example? Has she been written out of the game? I wish Mr. Dots would spend lots of time with a few characters, and if he wants to add more later, wait 4 or 5 updates to introduce new characters.

Also, Connie is horrible (and her model is plain and featureless). I guess she is supposed to be the super spoiled princess type, but none of the other characters seem to notice this. Everyone, including the MC, acts like it is completely normal behavior for her to refuse to attend her fancy birthday party, and cut off her family, simply because their won't be a pool at the party.

Last edited:

TommyTuba

Engaged Member
Aug 2, 2017
Yes, I get that. But can't they come up with more than 4 expressions? Spend a day or two with Daz and save another 10 expression templates. With 14 expressions it would be less noticable than only having 4. It isn't the end of the world, but it breaks the immersion in the story to see the same pouting expression or the same extreme shocked look every 30 seconds in the game. I don't really notice this in all the other games I play, maybe the expressions are more subtle so I don't notice when they are repeated.

You are right there. That is what annoyed me about DMD, the dialog is so robotic and the story so repetitive. Melody has better dialog, that is true, but the story also got very repetitive at the end. It was looking to me like Sunshine Love was going to be an improvement on both games. The story and dialog was a lot better prior to this update. But this latest update is, unfortunately, a return to form for Mr. Dots.

Also, the sex scenes made no sense. I could sort of accept the masseuse giving a sexy massage that leads to sex, since I guess she is supposed to be a nymphomaniac, and she isn't really close with the sister, so she doesn't really care that she is missing, but the mother giving her stepson a lap dance, while he is at her house worried about her daughter? Totally out of place how a reasonable character would act.

At least shortcake acted somewhat reasonable this update, she seemed to be concerned that the sister was missing, and acted like a normal person.

I think you identified the main problem. There are too many characters being thrown at the game before you really build much of a relationship with any of them, or they have a chance to form their own personalities in the story, so all the interactions have been quite superficial. What happened to Yuki, for example? Has she been written out of the game? I wish Mr. Dots would spend lots of time with a few characters, and if he wants to add more later, wait 4 or 5 updates to introduce new characters.

Also, Connie is horrible (and her model is plain and featureless). I guess she is supposed to be the super spoiled princess type, but none of the other characters seem to notice this. Everyone, including the MC, acts like it is completely normal behavior for her to refuse to attend her fancy birthday party, and cut off her family, simply because their won't be a pool at the party.
I agree, but I will like Connie if there is a lesbian path with Shortcake.

• Angry
Reactions: EZ8lt
3.50 star(s) 270 Votes