4.70 star(s) 39 Votes

Ananke

Jul 28, 2018
In Windows, Renpy automatically saves each game's sabe files to a separate folder under the Users folder. This is good, because if and when you reinstall the game or install a new version, you're in no danger of overwriting and losing your saves.

If there is a character in the path that is non-English, it's highly unlikely the game put it there.
Indeed it isn't the game that put non-English characters there (non-English characters in a profile name aren't anything out of the ordinary for windows), but it's the game that doesn't seem to work with it. For reference, other renpy games did not seem to have such a problem, hence my bug-report.

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
Indeed it isn't the game that put non-English characters there (non-English characters in a profile name aren't anything out of the ordinary for windows), but it's the game that doesn't seem to work with it. For reference, other renpy games did not seem to have such a problem, hence my bug-report.
Mhhh, if I use some of those characters in the game folder, it doesn't even start in the first place. I assume this is a problem with ren'py, as other games such as Primal Desires and Naughty Lyanna (the two I happened to have downloaded) refuse to start as well, throwing very specific error codes.
So, it doesn't seem like an issue with Sunville, but ren'py in general. Looks like it doesn't support pictograms.
If you can tell me which ren'py games worked with your setup, I'll take a look at their configs, and will adapt my code as long as it doesn't mess up saves for other players. I definitely won't change the default save location though, because I want to spare everyone the trouble of having to manually transfer saves from one version to another.

EDIT: Maybe it also has something to do with the ren'py version of the specific games. I use the newest one, maybe pictogram support is deprecated. I would not be able to help you in that case.

LadyOfSpiders

Mar 8, 2021
You can disable secondary path locally, in Sunville.py at line 125 replace:
Python:
if not save_directory:
with this:
Python:
if True:

Ananke

Jul 28, 2018
Mhhh, if I use some of those characters in the game folder, it doesn't even start in the first place. I assume this is a problem with ren'py, as other games such as Primal Desires and Naughty Lyanna (the two I happened to have downloaded) refuse to start as well, throwing very specific error codes.
So, it doesn't seem like an issue with Sunville, but ren'py in general. Looks like it doesn't support pictograms.
If you can tell me which ren'py games worked with your setup, I'll take a look at their configs, and will adapt my code as long as it doesn't mess up saves for other players. I definitely won't change the default save location though, because I want to spare everyone the trouble of having to manually transfer saves from one version to another.

EDIT: Maybe it also has something to do with the ren'py version of the specific games. I use the newest one, maybe pictogram support is deprecated. I would not be able to help you in that case.
The thing is, the whole path to the game has only English symbols (just to be safe), but creating a whole other Windows profile just to play the game seems like too much. Especially when other games work ok.

As for other games, see the image attached. Sunville is the only one so far to have a folder there too, but unable to save.

1639859024706.png

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
The thing is, the whole path to the game has only English symbols (just to be safe), but creating a whole other Windows profile just to play the game seems like too much. Especially when other games work ok.

As for other games, see the image attached. Sunville is the only one so far to have a folder there too, but unable to save.

View attachment 1551611
Where did you extract the game? The only other thing I can think of is that something is either in a system folder, or write protected.

feierflei

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
Where did you extract the game? The only other thing I can think of is that something is either in a system folder, or write protected.
The issue doesn't seem to be the game location, but the save location.

I cannot reproduce your problem, since not a single ren'py game works for me when there's a pictogram in the path. Non-english characters like ä, ö, ü, î work just fine.
Now, if you want to fix the issue locally, change line 145 in options.rpy from

define config.save_directory = "Sunville-1599008558"
to
define config.save_directory = None

This will make the game create a save directory right where you installed the game itself.

Since I'm currently in the worst crunch time I ever had, I can't really invest more resources into this rather niche issue, but I'll look deeper into it once I release 0.6.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Yes, but there are two save locations, ^ the one I hate in the AppData folder that you are talking about, and another inside the game folder itself, Sunville\Game\Saves. This could also be a factor.

feierflei

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
Yes, but there are two save locations, ^ the one I hate in the AppData folder that you are talking about, and another inside the game folder itself, Sunville\Game\Saves. This could also be a factor.
Yeah, but the default one is, ironically, the secondary path, which can be disabled by the "fix" I posted.

Reactions: TheDevian

Living In A Lewd World

Jan 15, 2021

I cannot reproduce your problem, since not a single ren'py game works for me when there's a pictogram in the path. Non-english characters like ä, ö, ü, î work just fine.

to

This will make the game create a save directory right where you installed the game itself.

Since I'm currently in the worst crunch time I ever had, I can't really invest more resources into this rather niche issue, but I'll look deeper into it once I release 0.6.
I guess, the folder name has no pictograms, but rather kyrillic letters. I deduce this from the second picture Ananke posted. The pictograms, you might have determined from the utf8-codes in the first picture he showed before, are surely just the replacements python/renpy shows, because it can't work with the kyrillic letters at all.

I just tried to somehow reproduce the problem by putting the game into a folder with kyrillic letters but was interestingly on my german laptop not even able to open the game. But this didn't work with summertime saga, one of the games, he has on his PC, either. So it is rather a problem of my PC not being able to cope with kyrillic letters at all.

feierflei

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
I guess, the folder name has no pictograms, but rather kyrillic letters. I deduce this from the second picture Ananke posted. The pictograms, you might have determined from the utf8-codes in the first picture he showed before, are surely just the replacements python/renpy shows, because it can't work with the kyrillic letters at all.

I just tried to somehow reproduce the problem by putting the game into a folder with kyrillic letters but was interestingly on my german laptop not even able to open the game. But this didn't work with summertime saga, one of the games, he has on his PC, either. So it is rather a problem of my PC not being able to cope with kyrillic letters at all.
Ooooh, yeah, didn't even consider kyrillic letters and just went with the utf-8 codes as you said xD
And I also didn't consider that it might be a system language issue, which could explain us both not being able to use "exotic" file paths since I also run a German OS. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: TheDevian

Ananke

Jul 28, 2018
I guess, the folder name has no pictograms, but rather kyrillic letters.
That's correct, my windows profile name has cyrillic letters.

to
As noted above, it's cyrillic letters, not a pictogram, you can try symbols like и й д м р т.

Just to make it clear, all the games are being run from paths with english symbols only.
For the sake of this debugging session I tried adding some cyrilic letters to the game folder name - it runs just as well, not a problem, still fails when saving.

I wonder if other games may be using some kind of an alias like %USERPROFILE% to safely save a file (no idea if even remotely relevant for renpy though).

As to the config.save_directory fix - I couldn't find the options.rpy file, but the fix proposed by LadyOfSpiders did in fact work for me.

I'd like to thank everyone involved here for trying to get to the bottom of this. If I can provide any other information to further investigate the issue, I'd be happy to.

feierflei

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
That's correct, my windows profile name has cyrillic letters.

As noted above, it's cyrillic letters, not a pictogram, you can try symbols like и й д м р т.

Just to make it clear, all the games are being run from paths with english symbols only.
For the sake of this debugging session I tried adding some cyrilic letters to the game folder name - it runs just as well, not a problem, still fails when saving.

I wonder if other games may be using some kind of an alias like %USERPROFILE% to safely save a file (no idea if even remotely relevant for renpy though).

As to the config.save_directory fix - I couldn't find the options.rpy file, but the fix proposed by LadyOfSpiders did in fact work for me.

I'd like to thank everyone involved here for trying to get to the bottom of this. If I can provide any other information to further investigate the issue, I'd be happy to.

One thing I'd love to know is what system locale you're running, as this has an influence on Windows' character resolving. For example, when I use a Japanese locale instead of my German one the symbol "\" is resolved as "¥" (in cmd and similar system-relevant applications) and many more such small issues. This whole process might have an influence on ren'py's internals.

Ale3

Mar 16, 2021
New release when?
Hey there!

I'm currently working on v0.6, which took quite a bit longer than I expected. There's an alpha ready on my Patreon that covers about half to two thirds of the content, the rest still needs some sorting out.

I can't really give you an ETA as I've been wrong about those so many times now... But v0.7 will take a lot less time, and I'll release 0.6 for the public once I release 0.7 for Patrons, which could be any time between one to three weeks from now. Probably. No promises. lol
The message is dated November 28 :)

ricola

Feb 28, 2017
Are there any news of an update? I've skimmed through Patreon and Discord and can't really find anything.

4.70 star(s) 39 Votes