Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
Doesn't really matter if his powers are different or not, it falls in line with the other type of "curse" powers we know about, including Charlies/Zaras, they brand you with something that you, first of all, need to know is there and then you need to break it. If Gillibrand lost his arm, he wouldn't regrow it because his powers don't include the power to change his shape, why then would he just automatically break through a transformation forced upon him by someone who does have said power to change the shape of flesh. Just like every other "power" enforced upon someone else it's not an automatic guarantee that you will ever be able to break out of it.
If that is true, and I understand what you are saying correctly, Alexis breaking Jakes mind control bs would be impossible.

bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
If that is true, and I understand what you are saying correctly, Alexis breaking Jakes mind control bs would be impossible.
No, it required her knowing about it/consciously choosing to try to break it, and then exercising her power enough such that breaking it injured her. That is not in opposition to what I have been saying, in fact that enforces what I have been saying.

Edit: if Gillibrand is so discombobulated that his brain is barely even functioning, the first part of breaking the supernatural change imposed on him is simply not there, and as such he hasn't even gotten to the part where he forcibly breaks it. And a tree he remains.

Reactions: EndlessNights

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
I was

It's you who insists on taking a single instance of the word "maintenance" and attributing it a specific meaning when everywhere else in the game it's used differently.

In the same spirit, you are absolutely correct, except for the dialogue snippets from half the training sessions that directly contradict your interpretation.
For you to be right we have to forget about that scene existing, for me to be right no such action is needed. What I've said, or rather quoted from the game, doesn't contradict any of the snippets you posted.

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
No, it required her knowing about it/consciously choosing to try to break it, and then exercising her power enough such that breaking it injured her. That is not in opposition to what I have been saying, in fact that enforces what I have been saying.
Then this conversation is pointless, we already established that you probably need to be conscious to resist the shapeshifting placed on you.

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
Then this conversation is pointless, we already established that you probably need to be conscious to resist the shapeshifting placed on you.
Which is kinda bs btw, since it means you can do all sorts of shit to people while they sleep and they have no way to defend themselves but whatever.

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
For you to be right we have to forget about that scene existing, for me to be right no such action is needed. What I've said, or rather quoted from the game, doesn't contradict any of the snippets you posted.
Definition of maintenance:
1) The process of preserving a condition or situation or the state of being preserved.
2) The process of keeping something in good condition.

First definition helps your argument, second definition helps mine. I've proved beyond any reasonable doubt that MC thinks he expends power when is either altering his form or when repairing it.

The exact Ella quote you provided works perfectly fine with my interpretation. There is no fallacy, there is no logical leap. The only reason I'm explaining this is because it can be interpreted like you do, but there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I could be wrong of course, but unless we find a single instance where MC spends energy to sustain an uninjured transformation, there is absolutely no reason why your interpretation is the right one.

Reactions: PerpetuallyAmiss

bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
I could be wrong of course, but unless we find a single instance where MC spends energy to sustain an uninjured transformation, there is absolutely no reason why your interpretation is the right one.
Exactly, if he did have to spend passive energy to maintain his form, what is his true form? A pile of goo? And why wasn't he a pile of goo the first time he woke up instead of his newer improved form? His true self that needs no energy to sustain beyond the normal food a person has to eat, at least until level 4, is very clearly the form he usually takes, only when transforming away from that form has it been implied that he needs a tiny amount of concentration and power/energy.

bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
It's probably how it works yes, unless you have a power that subconsciously works toward a goal in opposition to whatever shit was forced on you in which case you'd likely break it eventually, or gradually return to your form regardless of you being conscious/consciously knowing about it.

Reactions: PerpetuallyAmiss

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
First, Jake has a different power from a different set of apostles, using him as a reference to explain a different s/h is a bad idea.
Second, could you people stop shitting on tree man? He is not weak by any means of the word. Him losing to Ella is not a matter of her having more power, it's a matter of her unlocking a strong ability through the evolution trance or research.
It doesn't really matter what apostle is you parent if we are talking about how powers work. The Apostles just have different skillsets that a spawn can receive, but even that depends on the physical and mental state of the spawn...

Nobody is shitting on Gillibrand. He's a third evolution superhuman with impressive powerlevels, so much he even has more raw power then some 5th evolution superhumans. He is afraid of monsterfication and justifies not evolving by that fact.
Ella can see his strengths and weaknesses and simply uses logic to beat him. It's not like Nico is doing much better right?
Ella at level 4 still outsmarted 2 (fresh but still) 5th evolution superhumans... And even Malik more or less gets toyed with...
Above all it's a matter of understanding your opponents powers and applying the best possible tactics against them...

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
There is no shapeshifting placed on others, shapeshifting is done by the shapeshifter.
What Ella and MC do to others is transformation or transmutation... It's different skills....

Reactions: bloodaxis

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
Definition of maintenance:
1) The process of preserving a condition or situation or the state of being preserved.
2) The process of keeping something in good condition.

First definition helps your argument, second definition helps mine. I've proved beyond any reasonable doubt that MC thinks he expends power when is either altering his form or when repairing it.

The exact Ella quote you provided works perfectly fine with my interpretation. There is no fallacy, there is no logical leap. The only reason I'm explaining this is because it can be interpreted like you do, but there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Just for you. The aftermath of the first Klaus fight. 1.png Alice's mansion when mc grows large.
2.png Choosing size+power against Klaus. 3.png
There are others, for sure, these are just a few that I remembered.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
Potato potato, it's just different names.
No it's different things...
You're calling a potato banana... lol

In mythology, folklore and speculative fiction, shape-shifting is the ability to physically transform oneself through an inherently superhuman ability, divine intervention, demonic manipulation, sorcery, spells or having inherited the ability.

Shapeshifting is limited to yourself...

What is the power of transmutation?

The power to alter the forms/structure of matter/energy. Sub-power of Form Manipulation, Matter Manipulation, Nuclear Manipulation and Structure Manipulation.

But they're both sub-powers of Form Manipulation...
Same family, but your sister isn't your brother either, right?

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
No it's different things...
You're calling a potato banana... lol

In mythology, folklore and speculative fiction, shape-shifting is the ability to physically transform oneself through an inherently superhuman ability, divine intervention, demonic manipulation, sorcery, spells or having inherited the ability.

Shapeshifting is limited to yourself...

What is the power of transmutation?

The power to alter the forms/structure of matter/energy. Sub-power of Form Manipulation, Matter Manipulation, Nuclear Manipulation and Structure Manipulation.

But they're both sub-powers of Form Manipulation...
Same family, but your sister isn't your brother either, right?
Considering that one of the apostles is called body, it really is potato potato, since it's just different ways to exercise the power over "body" yours or others really shouldn't matter.

• Haha
Reactions: vogelbeest

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
Considering that one of the apostles is called body, it really is potato potato, since it's just different ways to exercise the power over "body" yours or others really shouldn't matter.
LMAO Man, whatever logic you are using with that sentence, i can only say one thing :

Thatyeah.gif

bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
Just for you. The aftermath of the first Klaus fight. View attachment 2677180 Alice's mansion when mc grows large.
View attachment 2677182 Choosing size+power against Klaus. View attachment 2677183
There are others, for sure, these are just a few that I remembered.
These are all him actively changing/doing something other than just being in his actual form though, those black hands are not his real hands, it's well established they cost power to use, second one he grows larger, which, obviously costs power, same in the third. The first one he also doesn't have enough energy to repair his legs and yet he doesn't turn into goo or whatever because his natural form clearly doesn't need sustained power to not fall apart. Not sure what these are meant to prove exactly. :WaitWhat:

Reactions: vogelbeest

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
LMAO Man, whatever logic you are using with that sentence, i can only say one thing :

View attachment 2677251
Jake's power is not mind control, it's "Authority", based on Ella dialogue Jake might have had control over inanimate objects, but that wouldn't mean that his powers are mind control + telekinesis, it would still mean that his power is "Authority". It is the same with Mc, his power is not shapeshifting or transmutation, his power is the control of the "Body". What body? Who's body? It doesn't matter, neither is the name you give it since the power is, deliberately, very broad in potential and applications. So yeah, potato potato, since both of those powers are just the same thing.

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
These are all him actively changing/doing something other than just being in his actual form though, those black hands are not his real hands, it's well established they cost power to use, second one he grows larger, which, obviously costs power, same in the third. The first one he also doesn't have enough energy to repair his legs and yet he doesn't turn into goo or whatever because his natural form clearly doesn't need sustained power to not fall apart. Not sure what these are meant to prove exactly. :WaitWhat:
Jesus Christ, at this point I'm fucking exhausted. We talked about how he has a maintenance fee for maintaining any change to his body, those black hands are part of his body.
Case 1. When he was critically injured he used up his last drops of power on creating black hands, few seconds later he ran fully dry and he couldn't pay the fee so the power got cancelled.
Case 2. He tried to go large, it was tough, he got exhausted, the transformation ended.
Case 3. He literally says that his large form is hard to maintain, which is the point i was fucking making, he has to exert power to maintain any sort of transformation.
What is it that you don't understand?

bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
Jesus Christ, at this point I'm fucking exhausted. We talked about how he has a maintenance fee for maintaining any change to his body, those black hands are part of his body.
Case 1. When he was critically injured he used up his last drops of power on creating black hands, few seconds later he ran fully dry and he couldn't pay the fee so the power got cancelled.
Case 2. He tried to go large, it was tough, he got exhausted, the transformation ended.
Case 3. He literally says that his large form is hard to maintain, which is the point i was fucking making, he has to exert power to maintain any sort of transformation.
What is it that you don't understand?
When was it in dispute that he doesn't have a maintenance fee for changes? I must have missed that, there is obviously a maintenance fee for himself with anything but his "real" form, same with healing/repairing any of his forms. Regardless, wasn't the original argument that the gillibrand transformation needed a constant source of power to stay a tree?

Fanvor

Jul 1, 2017
When was it in dispute that he doesn't have a maintenance fee for changes? I must have missed that, there is obviously a maintenance fee for himself with anything but his "real" form, same with healing/repairing any of his forms.
If you don't know what the conversation is about, then why are you butting in?
Regardless, wasn't the original argument that the gillibrand transformation needed a constant source of power to stay a tree?
This is a conversation i had with completely different people.

4.80 star(s) 346 Votes