bloodaxis

Sep 1, 2017
I tried to find that Del conversation but I couldn't.
Here's the line in question: "D "I heard it connects us to our monster ancestors. The ones that turned us, and the ones that created them, and on and on. That's what some of the big dogs say anyway, guys who've had their powers for ages."".

Reactions: Fanvor

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
When they give you the helmet, day after the HERO reveal.

Here's the line in question: "D "I heard it connects us to our monster ancestors. The ones that turned us, and the ones that created them, and on and on. That's what some of the big dogs say anyway, guys who've had their powers for ages."".
This quote is about corruption, not evolution. It isn't relevant to what I'm talking about. I can't know how corruption will affect MC in the future, but from the current knowledge, it offers some minor powerups (and that's mostly when accompanied by usage of abilities), and Nyx claims that it also offers some quirks and some extra abilities not necessarily related to the superhuman's powers.

MC himself is very connected to the Eye and his monster parents even outside of evolution, no matter his corruption level. We have seen effects like those that Del describes. They try to help him both with "advice" and something more tangible. For example the Eye tries to tell him that he is under Jake's influence, and later during prison it helps by breaking Jake's command. However there is no power gained.

Evolution though is a unique event. During MC's second evolution, the Eye says "take our power". I can only read this as "some form of power travels from the monster(s) to the superhuman". My theory is that the power travels through the connection facilitated by the evolution. After all we've seen that connections like this can have actual physical effects, like when Authority tries to assault MC for killing Jake. If you guys have some other theory why the Eye would say that, I'd like to hear it.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
Evolution though is a unique event. During MC's second evolution, the Eye says "take our power". I can only read this as "some form of power travels from the monster(s) to the superhuman". My theory is that the power travels through the connection facilitated by the evolution. After all we've seen that connections like this can have actual physical effects, like when Authority tries to assault MC for killing Jake. If you guys have some other theory why the Eye would say that, I'd like to hear it.
The infection is basically another lifeform joining with you. After you get infected you die and get reborn as a symbiosis.
Aglaecwif tells us she will destroy our "vessel" if we don't agree to breed her. The eye tells us "who can you trust if not yourself?" If we get too much corruption we monsterfy and the other part of the symbiosis takes control...

In some way the infection spreads and forms some sort of hivemind network, probably just very primitive but still, it makes sense to give feedback to the Apostles for finding promising locations for infection across the galaxy... During our evolutions both parts of the symbiosis interact more, so we just have better access during that time, resulting in being able to "travel" to the Apostles and talk with them. Since monsters don't have evolutions, it seems to me that's just a side effect... If it's not, the infection can only be seeking out species that have evolutions? That almost sounds likes it's designed...

The eye is just the other part of the symbiosis, he can break Jake's control because he's part of you... Or atleast he's always there, not just during evolutions... But the eye is the link to the Apostles, the eye is the part that gathers all your memories and information from your dna once the evolution starts, him saying "take our power" more or less is saying the result of the evolution is coming now... Perhaps his goal is to become a single entity instead of a symbiosis and that's why he's asking for your agreement? But there's not much else in these talks during our evolutions... our reasons, our goals, our agreement? He tells who to eat and gives some more advice... But it's all for reaching the optimal final result...

The fact that the eye calls Jake "the failed heir of Authority" is another thing... If Jake is still alive he can still evolve right?
So that would mean the part of Jakes symbiosis that could inherit the powers of "Order" is gone? He's still a superhuman...

But okay, lets see what new information WW brings us with our 4th evolution... ;)

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
The infection is basically another lifeform joining with you. After you get infected you die and get reborn as a symbiosis.
Aglaecwif tells us she will destroy our "vessel" if we don't agree to breed her. The eye tells us "who can you trust if not yourself?" If we get too much corruption we monsterfy and the other part of the symbiosis takes control...

In some way the infection spreads and forms some sort of hivemind network, probably just very primitive but still, it makes sense to give feedback to the Apostles for finding promising locations for infection across the galaxy... During our evolutions both parts of the symbiosis interact more, so we just have better access during that time, resulting in being able to "travel" to the Apostles and talk with them. Since monsters don't have evolutions, it seems to me that's just a side effect... If it's not, the infection can only be seeking out species that have evolutions? That almost sounds likes it's designed...

The eye is just the other part of the symbiosis, he can break Jake's control because he's part of you... Or atleast he's always there, not just during evolutions... But the eye is the link to the Apostles, the eye is the part that gathers all your memories and information from your dna once the evolution starts, him saying "take our power" more or less is saying the result of the evolution is coming now... Perhaps his goal is to become a single entity instead of a symbiosis and that's why he's asking for your agreement? But there's not much else in these talks during our evolutions... our reasons, our goals, our agreement? He tells who to eat and gives some more advice... But it's all for reaching the optimal final result...

The fact that the eye calls Jake "the failed heir of Authority" is another thing... If Jake is still alive he can still evolve right?
So that would mean the part of Jakes symbiosis that could inherit the powers of "Order" is gone? He's still a superhuman...

But okay, lets see what new information WW brings us with our 4th evolution... ;)
This gave me a lot of things to think about. Good stuff.

Some thoughts:

1)

I don't think that high corruption is the cause for monsterification, or at least not directly. It doesn't make sense to me because monsters infect humans for a reason, and that's to reach level 5 and perform whatever function they want them too. Ella says this and she seems very matter-of-fact about it.

If it's the cause for monsterification, then it essentially means that corruption is extremely counterproductive and an oxymoron, because for one it facilitates a better connection between superhuman and monsterparent, but on the other hand it substantially decreases the chances that the superhumans will succeed in reaching their potential and perform their purpose.

If that's the case, perhaps there is a fundamental flaw with monsters. They are by design self-defeating and they require superhumans with high sense of humanity not just to spread their influence, but actually avoid extinction. However I don't get such vibes from the game and I think that monster society is fairly secure, at least for the time being.

This is what I think happens:
At some point, I think it's Ella that says that exposure to monster material, especially of a related monster, can trigger an evolution. However since most monsters are descendants of a select few (arbiters, apostles, and whatever is higher up in the hierarchy), by being exposed to huge amounts of monster material, eventually you will be exposed to enough material that is related to your monster relative.

Corruption facilitates better connections between all monsters, not just monster-relatives. It allows the superhuman to better understand the language and their ways.

We also know that when eating superhumans, it's possible to be connected to their monster-parents, or some form of their consciousness. Happened with Jake and Danica.

We also know that power is the catalyst of a successful evolution, decreasing the chances for monsterification. Power seems to affect control, body capability and the effect of abilities.

So I think that whenever the superhuman is exposed to monster material, he gets a connection. He also gets some corruption (through infection probably). High corruption + a lot of connections ends up being disorienting and even maddening. So it breaks the superhuman's focus, he can't control his power, so by extension he can't control his evolution, and monsterifies.

I think that high corruption is the best thing that can happen to the relationship between superhuman and monster-parent, it increases the chances to both evolve and understand the purpose of the infection, but it's dangerous because it invites other entities to unintentionally mess with your mind, leading to monsterification. /Edit: With high enough power, even under these conditions, the superhuman can become essentially immune to monsterification even under these conditions.

2)

I agree with your view on infection being involved in a symbiotic relationship and having some sort of sentience, or at least being able to perform it's functionality autonomously, facilitating connections, providing the framework for the abilities to manifest and probably more.

However I don't think that there is a balance that must be kept and as long as any side of the symbiosis gets stronger, the whole gets stronger and gets closer to reaching level 5 and fullfilling it's purpose.

3)

I can't really see the Eye as the other half of the symbiosis. It seems to have a very strong sense of self, it calls itself an Origin and speaks to the MC as the Ether speaks to Alice. I have a hard time picturing one as being the abstract consciousness of our infection, while the other is a full blown Apostle.

I do however think that MC and Eye exist in some sort of symbiosis but it happened before the MC got his superpowers, from whatever accident damaged his eyes. I think it's a very weak avatar of the Body+Memory Arbiter that can only survive through symbiosis, like a virus, and tries to influence the MC to succeed in facilitating it's return to a "full existence".

Last edited:

ItzSyther

Dec 3, 2018
I wonder if we'll get the option at some point to attempt to eat Ella's body. Now hear me out, yeah we all know she's alive but if MC would attempt to eat her I wonder if she'd break her masquerade she has goin on of being dead (ultimate corruption food right there). Might lead to a bad end of sorts although no clue if HERO would even allow that.

I recall a few pages back people talkin bout how people couldn't get a read on her body (MC included?) but if he attempted to eat her perhaps he could get a read?

Ddlc

Jun 22, 2017
I wonder if we'll get the option at some point to attempt to eat Ella's body. Now hear me out, yeah we all know she's alive but if MC would attempt to eat her I wonder if she'd break her masquerade she has goin on of being dead (ultimate corruption food right there). Might lead to a bad end of sorts although no clue if HERO would even allow that.

I recall a few pages back people talkin bout how people couldn't get a read on her body (MC included?) but if he attempted to eat her perhaps he could get a read?
I think Mc eating Ella's body is possible as long as it doesn't result in her death, a bad ending is a possiblility, he tries and Ella takes over his body, or maybe if it is a fake body and he discovers that by eating it.

My guess is that Mc will eventually sneak in her cell (maybe with some help) and she will reveal she is alive or he will realize that by touching her body.

Eating Ella for real is something i think will happen, maybe even a requirement for a corrupt run, since eye boy is giving hints of eating people as a condition to reach full potential.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
If it's the cause for monsterification, then it essentially means that corruption is extremely counterproductive and an oxymoron, because for one it facilitates a better connection between superhuman and monsterparent, but on the other hand it substantially decreases the chances that the superhumans will succeed in reaching their potential and perform their purpose.
It actually depends on how you look at it in terms of large scale infection. Monsters don't have evolutions, perhaps they are suitable vessels from the start. The fairy, Valravn, Aglaecwif are examples of intelligent monsters... But how smart is the average monster? Valravn must have been upgraded, a raven is smart but not Valravn smart...

The more basic monsters still infect others or serve as food or cannon fodder... A superhuman monsterfying is just the same. Monsters can still communicate with other monsters, it's just superhumans can't really communicate with monsterfied ones.. Eating other superhuman spawns for the species as a whole, is just as counterproductive, losing a superhuman due to monsterfication might just be seen as a not suitable vessel, so no real loss.

Even if some factors reduce chances for succes, the scale of the infection can still yield the numbers, the monsters infect world after world... If the general purpose is just to bring back these 6 arbiters, it's just a matter of time and enough worlds... If it's about bringing back millions or even billions, the situation is completely different of course...

Reactions: ItzSyther

Kaintfm

Apr 26, 2021
Just finished my review. Short version: Game is amazing. Story is exceptional with few plot holes. No idiot plot, with characters thinking tactically and with action scenes that are logical and easy to follow and make sense given the development of the characters involved. Art and sound effects make it exciting and the plot twists are genuinely surprising. 5 out of 5!

alkeera

May 1, 2018
Just finished my review. Short version: Game is amazing. Story is exceptional with few plot holes. No idiot plot, with characters thinking tactically and with action scenes that are logical and easy to follow and make sense given the development of the characters involved. Art and sound effects make it exciting and the plot twists are genuinely surprising. 5 out of 5!

RonaldGrand6969

Aug 30, 2019
Monsters don't have evolutions,
You know that's actually funny you mention that, I don't think anywhere in the lore or otherwise it has ever been mentioned whether or not monsters can evolve. I do find it a little odd that a Superhuman like say, Oscar, could theoretically evolve stronger than it's easily defeated monster counterpart. You're telling me humans are more compatible with the monster gene than the literal source of said monster gene? It doesn't really make sense to me.

The only way I could try to make sense of it is that they have a little chat with their Apostle or Origin upon evolution (like the MC or Alice) and THAT'S what jumpstarts your evolution every time. I can't remember if Jake ever mentioned if he encountered the 1st during his evolution, but if he does it all but furthers my point.

We have had some cases though where monsters have GOTTEN stronger though, it is possible just never from an evolutionary stance like we've seen with humans.
-Valravn is the prime example, he was a crow turned by the 7th, but I believe he also mentions being trained by his master I believe, even if we ignore that part; he still hunted and ate hearts to make up for his lost strength.
-Kenny is another, dude went from something we could bitch slap through a floor, to a mid Lvl 1 and still growing as time went on. He took was consuming stuff to get stronger.
-Angelia's Monster that grew her breasts was yet another stronger off of eating, and while some may use the excuse it was BECAUSE of her breasts, it also used our breasts as well, almost making an infinite power cheat code.
-And of course there's Monster Deryl, his kind's job is LITERALLY to make a stronger variant of it's, evolve if you will, and it succeed via grant it now Superhuman Deryl becoming a Lvl 3 in a little over a month.

I do wonder...how did we evolve again? Ah yes, CONSUMING through Deryl's monster body. Our monster parents are constantly telling us to just fucking eat everything, hell even the Origin says so as well. Whether or not monsters CAN actually evolve I'm sure is up to debate, as we have personally never seen it ourselves, but so far it's not looking like it's entirely impossible, we just haven't seen it yet.

4.80 star(s) 346 Votes