Dipasimaan

Feb 22, 2019
Devlog 69 (Ha!)

Yo, how's it been going? Things have been going good for me, I've been in the process of moving houses for a couple months now and it's been a real pain in the ass, but things are mostly done now so I've finally got a bit of time to relax.
As for the update, I'm faced with the same problem I had last update. Do I make it one really long one? Or do I cut it in half and have it in two shorter, quicker released updates? Last update was the longest I'd ever done, I think on its own it made up almost %10 of the lines for the entire game, or something like that. The end of the Deryl arc is the only update close to its length I'm pretty sure. Don't know if I want this one to be a similar length one, and make it 0.98 as planned, or if I want to cut it and make it 0.975. There's a few stopping points I could end the update on if I wanted to, but I'll think on it some more before deciding. Feel free to give your opinions.
As for the actual progress on the update, it's good. I've written the script far enough that I could stop writing now and have enough for 0.975, I've been pumping that shit out at a great rate this time around. Art's getting there too, maybe %10 of the way.
So yeah, that's it for the devlog. H-scene poll will prob be next week.
See ya.

fedoraTipping

Jul 1, 2021
I mostly agree with all of what you said but I must say that Control is in fact a good game story-wise with a solid lore and a fun gameplay, maybe it's not for everyone but objectively it's good
Alan Wake and Alan Wake 2 better. Also, I really enjoyed Superhuman more than I did Control. Control is a good game but not the best...

Reactions: Robotai

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
I mostly agree with all of what you said but I must say that Control is in fact a good game story-wise with a solid lore and a fun gameplay, maybe it's not for everyone but objectively it's good
Alan Wake and Alan Wake 2 better. Also, I really enjoyed Superhuman more than I did Control. Control is a good game but not the best...
Slightly off-topic but... personally I think the issue with Control is the nobilification of the secret world.

If you think about stuff like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, there is a divide between the normal world and the secret world, and those that participate in the secret world are like a noble class. Those from the secret world are "better" than those from the normal world. The secret world is the "true" reality, not the normal world. The thing about SCP that makes it so interesting is that it is one of the only examples I can think of where the opposite is true; those that live in ignorance are the noble class, whereas those participating in the secret world are like martyrs protecting normality.

SCP repeatedly makes clear that these anomalies are not natural and have no place in proper reality, as including them would shatter everything we know about physics. Control, in comparison, falls into the trap of making the secret world the nobility again. It's the one big issue I have with it, because without this nobilification of the normal world, you are left with the really big issue of "why are we keeping everything secret from the public". Harry Potter and Percy Jackson both have in-universe "veils" that prevent normal people from crossing over to the magical world, which SCP and Control both lack. SCP incorporates this lack of a veil appropriately, whereas Control does not.

Otherwise, I love the setting, I love the world building, but this inversion of the secret world/normal world power dynamic gets on my nerves a bit.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
... How the fuck did we go from talking about Superhuman, this thread's game, to talking about Control/Alan Wake/SCP lore like it's not off-topic...

• Haha
Reactions: Birdnman993

lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
Speaking of video games it's not AAA but Deadly Premonition 1 is great too if you can get a hold of an Xbox copy.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
Conversations evolve.

Like the MC in Superhuman, a game that this thread is about.
Yeaaaah but at that point it's not even remotely related to the game anymore, and the mods are going to get angry. They've removed messages for less than that, believe me.

Reactions: Robotai

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
Anyway, am I the only one who was thinking that the MC's dad and the mother seen in the flashbacks aren't his real parents? I dunno what started it, but I was getting the vibe that the MC used to be one of Ella's siblings, but something happened that put him into other hands, after which point his memories got manipulated. Ella seems to remember the MC from somewhere, and I can't really think of a better explanation.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: EndlessNights

Fjeifcd

Feb 14, 2023
Anyway, am I the only one who was thinking that the MC's dad and the mother seen in the flashbacks aren't his real parents? I dunno what started it, but I was getting the vibe that the MC used to be one of Ella's siblings, but something happened that put him into other hands, after which point his memories got manipulated. Ella seems to remember the MC from somewhere, and I can't really think of a better explanation.
MC said when he ran away he joined some sort of runaway camp. Maybe he met Ella there when she was orphaned? Dont know if the time matches tho.

Zeca Suez

Jun 26, 2018
I was getting the vibe that the MC used to be one of Ella's siblings, but something happened that put him into other hands, after which point his memories got manipulated. Ella seems to remember the MC from somewhere, and I can't really think of a better explanation.
There is something really weird about his mom and dad for sure. His pops has always been a mysterious weirdo, popping in and out of MC's life repeatedly. and his mom is very "interesting" far from normal... maybe it is all that hair covering her eyes, gives her that protagonist aura. It is an interesting idea indeed.

But wouldn't Ella have recognized him then when she met the MC the night before the beginning of the game ? Back then MC almost looked like a damn kid himself. he could not have changed too much from when she was supposed to know him from before.
Unless Ella herself has issues with her own memories aswell. I guess It is possible they both knew each other and then kind of just lost their memories. For Ella it could be related to all those evolutions.

Maybe the younger Ella was much more prone to losing herself to her powers, maybe there were multiple incidents where she went from human sentient-hybrid to monster ... possibly Xanthe Jr. or someone else perhaps one of her monster friends helped her return to being self-aware and not just a growling biting beast with super-powers. Or she flipped back from monster to human purely out of will and circumstance... She was the first Superhuman to be out and about in the world mingling with the muggles without the sterile and meticulous supervision of Xanthe and the team leaders of H.e.r.o. or well... the only one I can think of atleast.

Reactions: Misalton

FrapFappers

Nov 6, 2020
I mean the inspiration from Prtotype and Venom (the over all character not th movies) is undeniable. And I don't see anything wrong with it if smt is good why change it specially the fact that , That game had a lot more potential for what it was.

I think everybody agree with me on how good the power fantasy of this game feels. The evolustion are just about the best mechanic and so goddamn satisfying.
And I say VenoM because honestly I think SO MANY anti villains and even games take inspiration from it. an unknown source of power that slowly corrupts and takes over if you are not carful and brings the worst in you; You can see that theme in so many places and here i on of them.
Isn't there already a guy in the game named Mercer?

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
But wouldn't Ella have recognized him then when she met the MC the night before the beginning of the game ? Back then MC almost looked like a damn kid himself. he could not have changed too much from when she was supposed to know him from before.
She did recognize him. That's why everyone thought it was weird that she was talking to him as if they're familiar at the start. There's also her memories after she got killed. When you're at her apartment with Christie and Emily. It's revealed that she was planning to meet him using Dave and that she was pretty much stalking him the whole time.

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
She did recognize him. That's why everyone thought it was weird that she was talking to him as if they're familiar at the start. There's also her memories after she got killed. When you're at her apartment with Christie and Emily. It's revealed that she was planning to meet him using Dave and that she was pretty much stalking him the whole time.
There was that one picture of Ella and... I think it was Xanthe Jr.? Maybe MC and Ella were both there at some point in their lives, and MC just doesn't remember it.

4.80 star(s) 346 Votes