VN Ren'Py Completed SWe1: The Warrior's Heart [v1.0] [Mortze]

4.60 star(s) 130 Votes

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Mortze, thank you! It is obvious that you put a ton of time, heart and soul into this game. I'm a (edit: was) a huge SW fan and from the deep lore that you included, I think you are too! Anytime you want to bitch for hours about what Lucas did to the prequels and what Kathleen Kennedy did to the sequels, I am with you buddy!
I'd be happy to, although this post isn't the place for that.
I didn't decided to abandon my fandom for SW because of the last 3 movies. No. I decided, instead, to mentally not take into account those movies. For me SW is everything save the 3 last Skywalker saga movies, and Solo. Yes, even the Christmas Special. I cannot not be a fan of everything done before.

Lucifer

Aug 22, 2016
Thank you.

I'd like to clarify why the protagonist is so "blank book".
A general protagonist, without much of a past, is easier to relate to, to walk his shoes, as he progresses in the story.
You'd note that in the New Hope, the first SW movie we got, Luke Skywalker is just like that. All we know about him is that he grew up in Tatooine, farming all his life, and he desired something bigger for his life, and that's the path we follow through all the 3 movies. Han Solo, Leia, Obi-Wan, Vader, all have more developed pasts, as explained in the movies and also in the plectoria of books, comics, etc. There isn't much about Luke, besides he being a farm boy all his life before meeting Ben Kenobi.
That's where I aimed with Kaylan.
I understand Mortze, thanks for your clarification.

As you said, Luke was a farmer on Tatooine, he lived a tedious life, but an easy one. We all can imagine how he spent his youth years, listening to his uncle and aunt, attending his duties in the farm and living an unsatisfing but protected existance in his family nest.

Kaylan, instead, fled from the orphanage, wondered, starved, survived. Each minute of his life was fought for, every word he said comes from pain and loss. If Luke's past is empty, that's because he didn't have one; while Kaylan might hate his past, but he lived and fought for each second of it, he well earned his present.

I perfectly understand what you aimed for, an unnamed protagonist makes it easier for a player to take the lead of him, this would fit perfectly if the protagonist was a clone, but Kaylan... Kaylan is everything but void, he's undoubtedly the deepest male character I've found in such games, he has so much to say, and you can feel it, you can feel it throughout the game, but there's no past to make you understand him.
To me, there's a contrast between the wise words he displays and the emptyness of his past. Wisdom comes with experience, and Kaylan, striving for survival, lived a thousand of Luke's lives.

In my honest opinion, this is the only mistake you made in this exceptional work of yours.

Reactions: EZ8lt

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Kaylan, instead, fled from the orphanage, wondered, starved, survived. Each minute of his life was fought for, every word he said comes from pain and loss. If Luke's past is empty, that's because he didn't have one; while Kaylan might hate his past, but he lived and fought for each second of it, he well earned his present.

I perfectly understand what you aimed for, an unnamed protagonist makes it easier for a player to take the lead of him, this would fit perfectly if the protagonist was a clone, but Kaylan... Kaylan is everything but void, he's undoubtedly the deepest male character I've found in such games, he has so much to say, and you can feel it, you can feel it throughout the game, but there's no past to make you understand him.
To me, there's a contrast between the wise words he displays and the emptyness of his past. Wisdom comes with experience, and Kaylan, striving for survival, lived a thousand of Luke's lives.
There is so much exposition with all the other characters...
But I understand your point and hopefully we'll have more episodes where he'll open some more about his past.
They seem to go back to Ord Mantell after all, despite what Kaylan wished...

Lucifer

Aug 22, 2016
There is so much exposition with all the other characters...
But I understand your point and hopefully we'll have more episodes where he'll open some more about his past.
They seem to go back to Ord Mantell after all, despite what Kaylan wished...
:)
I meant my comment as a positive and possibily constructive criticism, I fully support your work and I'm definitely sure that this game is a piece of gold in this community. It's among the best games I've played in a while and, for sure, the best Star Wars story I've seen since The Mandalorian.
I'm very grateful for giving us the chance to see a new (and man, good) adventure in a galaxy far, far away...

I'm really looking forward to the next episodes, I'm sure this serie will be full of surprises!

Thanks again Mortze

Reactions: Gotlieb029

Dongus420

May 21, 2018
Wow, just wow.

You captured the feel of the Star Wars universe so bloody well, outstanding writing. It never felt fan fiction, it felt totally legit. It looks outstanding, the characters felt real and the story was really interesting.

Please, please do more episodes. Loved it.

Soloven

Mar 12, 2018
Live for the day when the devs can make the MC less of an errand boy. GIVE THE MCs A SOLID PERSONALITY AND NOT BEING A FUCKING YES MAN ALL THE DAMN TIME. 1 STAR RATING. HOPE YOUR HAPPY :*

• Angry
Reactions: oysterkeeper

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Should you want a strong loner play the latest game in the saga ...
feel the burn that last jedy had to endure before hanging the cape and calling it quits ...
there is only so much last minute saves even a jedy can muster ... universe calls 4 its toll!

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Playing now. Top notch art.

But it would really benefit from sound and music at all times. Specially if is a fanfic you have a lot of OST that you could use in the game with no regrets.

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
:)
I meant my comment as a positive and possibily constructive criticism, I fully support your work and I'm definitely sure that this game is a piece of gold in this community. It's among the best games I've played in a while and, for sure, the best Star Wars story I've seen since The Mandalorian.
I didn't take your comment as anything else than constructive criticism.
It was a fair point and me choosing to develop Kaylan's past would have been a valid storytelling too. I just choose the Luke Skywalker example to follow and also present a more general view of all the characters involved in the story.
The story will unveil more details about everyone.

Reactions: Ghostly and Lucifer

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Playing now. Top notch art.

But it would really benefit from sound and music at all times. Specially if is a fanfic you have a lot of OST that you could use in the game with no regrets.
I have.
And I also have a mega corporation copyright legit night terrors.
That's why I just used a few sounds from here and there. Oh, if I had Disney's and Lucasfim's written authorization to use OST!

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
I have.
That's why I just used a few sounds from here and there. Oh, if I had Disney's and Lucasfim's written authorization to use OST!
I am not a lawyer but your game is sortenly falls under fair use because it is a parody. Moreover, parody is given like an example in U.S copyright code for fair use. However, its the definition of the parody that can be in discussions because parodies are usually are humorous stories that also make fun of a world these stories take place in. From the story I read you are too in love with SW universe to make fun of it or its characters.

Dec 28, 2017
I thought the three Disney movies were all right. Definitely (and deliberately) nothing groundbreaking, but they followed the formula well. Not a Jar Jar Binks in sight, though I could do with fewer cameos and C3PO could do well to shut up a bit more. If they had never been made I wouldn't have missed them, but I definitely do not regret seeing them.

I have.
Not that I have much experience in this and IANAL, but if you pop up on their radar to be honest I would expect that you get a Cease and Desist almost immediately. Of course, that is not the end of the world, it just means that you have to rebrand your game. The Landlady fig leaf, but with Star Wars. For bonus points, rename it Star Trek: The Wrath of Warrior.

daekwind8

Apr 8, 2018
Definitely loving this game. The girls are got yet varied in appearance and personality. I love the jedi. I have a thing for muscular harass women. It's way better than most star wars stories that have been getting released lately. It really captures the feel of being in the star wars universe.

daekwind8

Apr 8, 2018
I am not a lawyer but your game is sortenly falls under fair use because it is a parody. Moreover, parody is given like an example in U.S copyright code for fair use. However, its the definition of the parody that can be in discussions because parodies are usually are humorous stories that also make fun of a world these stories take place in. From the story I read you are too in love with SW universe to make fun of it or its characters.
The issue is Disney is very sledgehammery with copyright. You can claim fair use but Disney will make the whole process a nightmare.

4.60 star(s) 130 Votes