goonslagoon

Jun 25, 2021
Genuine question, why go through all the hassle of making a sandbox VN? When you can make a typical VN that appeals to more people.
I'd assume because sandbox feels like more of a game than a visual novel even if it doesn't really add anything other than extra steps. I'm saying extra steps rather than content since it's usually just repeating the same action many times.

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
Genuine question, why go through all the hassle of making a sandbox VN? When you can make a typical VN that appeals to more people.
It's the same as using RPGM engine: you do it to create the world/setting and add some basic mechanics so it's not a kinetic novel and to pace content a little.
If done properly there is no issue, but they both suffer bad reputation caused by bad devs using them wrong: big empty maps where you go back and forth from one location to another just to get a single interaction and having to look all over the place to find events.
Here it's fine currently, only work at caffee was annoying because you could only work in the evening, which was colliding with girl stats event which was also only in the evening, but there was no reason to work in v0.1.3 so who cares.

fisty123

Oct 24, 2022
I remember seeing this come up on a indie dev podcast once and the response was more around the supply and demand, running a Patreon the fans are always asking for updates, with a VN the fan can read or skip to the scenes and be down with the update in under an hour where a sandbox takes longer and gives the dev who does this as a side job more time before the next release was being asked.
Also went to say that many enjoy the unlocking process so you earn to go on a date instead of just reading it.

For me, I read a ton of VNs that I end up wanting something else but still in a semi style of a VN so the point and click/sandbox games are my release from just reading VN's so I like them.
Granted there are some that can be annoying iike always giving you a task for the weekend only and 7 other paths also need the same time slot only for that weekend to come and you unlock a story event that forces you away all weekend, these types do get annoying but outside this I like to find things myself without using a guide.

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
I think sandboxes are just better, from a dev and player standpoint. Devs have the freedom to work on individual story arcs for characters and not have to make these elaborate scenes and try to find a balance with which characters to throw into that scene and how these puzzle pieces fit. It's also a good way to keep your community happy as some devs will have regular polls for characters and depending on how supporters vote they can feel like they are helping shape how the game develops and who gets more scenes.

For players, you can focus on whichever love interests you want in whichever order you want, you aren't limited (usually). If it was a kinetic novel you get to watch a scene unfold. In a (a)vn you might get a choice, which may or may not lock you out of the other choice and in some cases, I guess you have to have another save. In a sandbox you can do it all and at your own pace. The sad bit is that good sandboxes are few and there are loads of examples of bad sandboxes. Everything I've seen with this game so far and the dev makes me hopeful this could be another good one, so fingers crossed.

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
I actually wasn't going for the small look, except the uh, "clones". I might tweak the models in the future.
Man u don't need to change it. It looks good and sexy at the same time.
I like the art style, at first I thought it stuck out a bit, but then I realized that's a good thing! You kinda want a unique look, because it helps your game stand out and every game looking the same is kinda boring.

Fynnegun

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2022
I think make the game you want, my only advice would be try to aim for updating when you have more than 15 mins of gameplay, ideally aim for 30+ mins. Frequent updating is nice, but if it's only a handful of scenes that even the slowest of readers can get through in 5 minutes you are likely to burn people out.
I'd like to keep doing weekly releases for now. The way it works is that, it's the same 1 month content, but rolled out in smaller chunks. Also you can always skip a few updates if you feel like burning out.

Reactions: He-man96.

HeathenFilth

Jan 10, 2022
Just finished playing the demo. I couldn't get the third Veronica scene to play out (or, the third one int he gallery at least). The visit school during day event doesn't trigger even though I've met Phobe, and I have intelligence and subtlety >3.

I really like the characters models though! And the scenes that were in the game were great!
I'm looking forward to following this game's development.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Fynnegun

r6save

Oct 16, 2022
This are the ones I mentioned in my preview thread: Harem, Lactation, Pregnant, Ahegao, Anal Sex, Romance, Exhibitionism, Kissing, Teasing, "Clones" , Cheating(you fuck other guy's wife), Sex Toys, Titfuck, Footjob, Glasses(is that a thing?), Virgin(though all girls in game are virgins already, expect obvious ones)

I plan on expanding this list by listening to my community as we go along with development.
This are the ones I mentioned in my preview thread: Harem, Lactation, Pregnant, Ahegao, Anal Sex, Romance, Exhibitionism, Kissing, Teasing, "Clones" , Cheating(you fuck other guy's wife), Sex Toys, Titfuck, Footjob, Glasses(is that a thing?), Virgin(though all girls in game are virgins already, expect obvious ones)

I plan on expanding this list by listening to my community as we go along with development.
I dont think you should even add the cheating portion, will definitely turn people off even seeing it in the tags even if you make it optional.

• Thinking Face

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
I dont think you should even add the cheating portion, will definitely turn people off even seeing it in the tags even if you make it optional.
Nobody cares about the cheating tag. Cheating tag for a netori LI is one of the cornerstones of a good harem game. Maybe you're thinking of NTR but only the terminally online weirdos care about just plain cheating.

Reactions: HeathenFilth
Jan 15, 2018
played all versions i like the models 100%
nice choice
as of 0.1.3
while im glad it doesn't feel grindy, Veronica's progression did feel a bit fast
imo

also, and this is minor, when you reach the end of the version selecting "no" to the do you want to return to game prompt results in you returning to the game anyways

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
I'd like to keep doing weekly releases for now. The way it works is that, it's the same 1 month content, but rolled out in smaller chunks. Also you can always skip a few updates if you feel like burning out.
I wouldn't recommend that, while frequent updates are great for recognition, especially early on, personally I find myself reluctant to go back to games that I've decided to wait a few updates on, but there is no solution so take it with a grain of salt.

• Thinking Face

Fynnegun

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2022
Just finished playing the demo. I couldn't get the third Veronica scene to play out (or, the third one int he gallery at least). The visit school during day event doesn't trigger even though I've met Phobe, and I have intelligence and subtlety >3.

I really like the characters models though! And the scenes that were in the game were great!
I'm looking forward to following this game's development.
I took a quick look at the code to make sure, and you also need to complete all of Veronica's events to get that scene, aside from that you have all the requirements.:unsure:

Reactions: HeathenFilth

Fynnegun

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2022
Just to make sure, it's not going to be NTR, which will never be added, by the way. It's going to be more like oyakodon scenes with some of the future main girls moms that have absentee and implied to be pos husbands, that will never be shown onscreen.

HeathenFilth

Jan 10, 2022
Just to make sure, it's not going to be NTR, which will never be added, by the way. It's going to be more like oyakodon scenes with some of the future main girls moms that have absentee and implied to be pos husbands, that will never be shown onscreen.
"Clone" yuri? Please?
It ain't NTR or cheating if it is cute, sexy and/or lesbian. Lol.

rafa30

Engaged Member
Aug 2, 2017
Hello guys
how to correctly rename characters for incest?
Can someone help me?
english is not my native language

4.40 star(s) 5 Votes