squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
V.01 to V.02 included a near entire rehaul of the scheduling and location structure, including adding a new combat system which has its own couple hundred lines of stuff that's referenced throughout the game. The changes are just way too great. I don't plan on them breaking again unless by accident, in which case I will take efforts to fix it.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply! :)

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
(a) V 0.1 wasn't that huge, it doesn't take that long to replay even without skipping
(b) If a program gets a major overhaul it may not even make sense to somehow "convert" old saves
(c) Even if it made sense, making an actual save game converter can be quite a hassle
You're a veteran and I'm a newbie and I accept your comments with one caveat. The developer has a Patreon site so presumably they are trying to make money. Annoying one's potential customers is probably not a good idea even if something can be quite a hassle. In business it always makes sense to keep your customers happy or they stop being your customers. If it's just a hobby then my point is moot. Cheers!

Reactions: GbolnHunter

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
You're a veteran and I'm a newbie and I accept your comments with one caveat. The developer has a Patreon site so presumably they are trying to make money. Annoying one's potential customers is probably not a good idea even if something can be quite a hassle. In business it always makes sense to keep your customers happy or they stop being your customers. If it's just a hobby then my point is moot. Cheers!
Not entirely untrue but it's a bit of a tradeoff. Any time you lose for other content might make other customers unhappy.

And indeed this is a topic which appears quite regularly on these forums. But that's just one of the realities of following a product during development instead of waiting until it's finished. (Granted, even some AAA companies have been able to publish "finished" versions with these kinds of problems.)

Usually what will happen is that people will settle for a save "at the position" they were in (in games where this makes sense). Not an option for me admittedly, name wrong, possibly 7 decisions wrong. (No, I will not eat bacon and eggs, even if it gives me 5 relationship points, damnit!)

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Wouldn't improving the early story in order to make the overall game better count? It seems to me, that those who like the game to become a paying supporter would have no problem going back in order to see how it has grown and improved.

Seriously, those who can't be bothered to start over to see the updated story are problem not supporting the game. The developer has a choice: Make the game a better overall experience for the patrons/subscribers or make it easier for those who play for free.

Reactions: jaw1986baby

Ex78

Aug 22, 2019
Try to remember not only is the game in development it is in VERY early development so things can change these changes can break a save or two Glace decided to try and get all the things that could end up breaking saves into the second version of the game some Devs do not even try to think that far ahead now he can settle in can just do story content and use the systems he has already put in so next version will be a smooth download install and load up you v0.02 save.

There are some games on here that Break their SAVES every damn update and make 75k a month for doing it. Some people will know that one

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Not entirely untrue but it's a bit of a tradeoff. Any time you lose for other content might make other customers unhappy.

And indeed this is a topic which appears quite regularly on these forums. But that's just one of the realities of following a product during development instead of waiting until it's finished. (Granted, even some AAA companies have been able to publish "finished" versions with these kinds of problems.)

Usually what will happen is that people will settle for a save "at the position" they were in (in games where this makes sense). Not an option for me admittedly, name wrong, possibly 7 decisions wrong. (No, I will not eat bacon and eggs, even if it gives me 5 relationship points, damnit!)

Thanks for the insight, there are certainly different ways of looking at the same thing! I appreciate your comments!

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Try to remember not only is the game in development it is in VERY early development so things can change these changes can break a save or two Glace decided to try and get all the things that could end up breaking saves into the second version of the game some Devs do not even try to think that far ahead now he can settle in can just do story content and use the systems he has already put in so next version will be a smooth download install and load up you v0.02 save.

There are some games on here that Break their SAVES every damn update and make 75k a month for doing it. Some people will know that one

Thanks for your comments, there are many aspects to consider. I have to admit, I accept this type of thing when a game is exceptional but not so much when the game is marginal. One reason I brought this up is another developer fixed a similar problem with their game for me last week and I thought I might have a chance for the same on this game. Following your lead, I won't mention which game although I'm not sure why you did that. Cheers!

Ex78

Aug 22, 2019
Thanks for your comments, there are many aspects to consider. I have to admit, I accept this type of thing when a game is exceptional but not so much when the game is marginal. One reason I brought this up is another developer fixed a similar problem with their game for me last week and I thought I might have a chance for the same on this game. Following your lead, I won't mention which game although I'm not sure why you did that. Cheers!
I did not say the name of the other game because it is a popular game and i do not want to bad mouth another game in someone else's game thread

Nov 24, 2019
It doesn't need python just uses it, I mean seriously, how the fuck do you have a problem with python when the game uses and exe.
Fun fact: You don't need the exe at all. You probably could just launch the .py file directly if you were set on doing so. (not advised)
(a) V 0.1 wasn't that huge, it doesn't take that long to replay even without skipping
(b) If a program gets a major overhaul it may not even make sense to somehow "convert" old saves
(c) Even if it made sense, making an actual save game converter can be quite a hassle
If you make no major changes, adding save compatibility on Ren'Py is as difficult as setting up the old-game folder and using after_load label to mimic the changes you have done.

Of course, this works nicely for smaller changes, but if you do a major overhaul, you might have to waste so much time writing a real converter (and not just an after_load variable correction and rpyc dictionary) that it won't be worth it.

And not because tracking changes is hard - you can use tools like diff to get an instant list of all code changes - but because the code interactions have changed so much that it is not really salvageable.

So if the dev said they cannot keep compatibility between both versions, trust them, they know how badly the code has changed. And look at the good side - AFAIK Gallery and Settings were preserved.

(And honestly, who would prefer postponing the release in yet another month for Glacerose to hack a way to load old v0.01 saves which most people barely remember? :ROFLMAO:)

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
Beautiful game but when there are time skips that most players are just willing to overlook on account of their being infatuated with the story and graphics, that tells me many could care less about the game as a whole. If you are unaware of what I mean by time skips here, here is what I posted about it back on the 7th:

Hey Dev question time. Went to Affinity at Afternoon time slot to visit Celeste, leave, and get back home it's Night. So it skipped over Evening having done so. This may be normal to skip ahead two time periods when going out about time, I'm not sure because Affinity is the first location I have opened that I can actually visit about town.

So, reloaded my save and waited until the Evening to visit Affinity instead this time around, did the exact same event as above, leave and get home and it's again Night at this point. So, why does visiting it in the Evening not skip two time frames whereas visiting it in the Afternoon does? Shouldn't visiting it in the Evening result in skipping your Night ability and should just force the MC into his room to have to sleep or just straight sleep instead?

Doesn't seem like the game is being consistent here as far as this is concerned is all, to me anyway.

Not a big deal as the Dev indicated it would get addressed in another post but what really bugs is that same response indicating it would get resolved in the next update was then deleted after the fact. Gone, why is beyond me? As well as another response post by them that indicated the game's version number would be added to the game as well. Why their responses are being deleted after the fact I don't understand but it is what it is.
Glacerose Game Lord has an issue that really needs to be addressed but for some reason, doesn't tag you in the message so I am doing it. Can you look into the time skipthing that has been brought up by Game lord a couple of times now?

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Glacerose Game Lord has an issue that really needs to be addressed but for some reason, doesn't tag you in the message so I am doing it. Can you look into the time skipthing that has been brought up by Game lord a couple of times now?
It doesn't need to be corrected because the event is supposed to end at night, not after a number of time periods... specifically so you can't do Celeste's third event in the afternoon, then immediately trigger her fourth in the evening. This was explained before and Glacerose's comments about fixing it were probably deleted once it was realized there was nothing to be fixed, it was 'as-designed'.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Just my 2 cents worth of feedback.
face looks washed out really pale in this render. Obviously I don't know if that's her intended skin tone or not or just the way this render ended up. Personally this hair (in this view) looks a little bit "street urchin" for someone so obviously well dressed and probably a person of culture. After seeing other views I might feel differently.
Other than that my feedback is - I hate you you're a terrible person for adding yet another cute girl to the game. My "Potential Harem List" already has 22 girls on it (all 20 in the journal + the Orc girl and the Wild Fey). Make some ugly girls I can ignore! :LOL:

Ex78

Aug 22, 2019
Just my 2 cents worth of feedback.
face looks washed out really pale in this render. Obviously I don't know if that's her intended skin tone or not or just the way this render ended up. Personally this hair (in this view) looks a little bit "street urchin" for someone so obviously well dressed and probably a person of culture. After seeing other views I might feel differently.
Other than that my feedback is - I hate you you're a terrible person for adding yet another cute girl to the game. My "Potential Harem List" already has 22 girls on it (all 20 in the journal + the Orc girl and the Wild Fey). Make some ugly girls I can ignore! :LOL:
His supporters will not let him make uggos and even if we did his Wife would not

• Haha
Reactions: HogRocket

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Turn off the camera light, Glacerose ! :KEK:

Yes, the queen is lookin' a bit 'hot' in that photo... I also know he was fighting against Daz for that render...

4.40 star(s) 64 Votes