VN Ren'Py Tainted Heritage - a.k.a Weird Shit Is Going to Happen [v0.7.1] [recreation]

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
They still share the same blood and dna, so it's incest.

And spoilers exist for a reason. People don't read, they're just like "oh, shiny pictures" *click*
I'll tell you a secret... Every human on the planet is related to every other human by common ancestors ;D

The only reason sex is taboo with close relatives is due to the potential for birth defects being more likely due to normally recessive genes becoming active. But otherwise I see no problem at all with it.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Looking in the debug console, crV is only a string set to 'Vana'.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
charRace is a list of strings with charRace[3] set to 'Vana'. charRace[1] is set to 'Unknown'. Even though I was working with a save from what appeared to be 0.5 download, I'm just going to assume that download's version of vars.rpy wasn't doing the initalizer as a list like we see there. Either that or maybe playing this VN from a much earlier release to begin with left me with a crV that was only a simple string?

Anyways.... I'm just going to set it by hand in the console so the append will work and leave me with ['Vana','Unknown'].

---Edit---

The other thing I just noticed is the NPC notes gallery has 6 of the 8 girls that MC knows about probably set as Strings instead of Lists. The hack I just did for Venari has her profile displaying as "Vana, Unknown" while the 6 girls have Python interpret strings as a list a chars and end up dicing things up. For example Eva displays as "H, u, m, a, n". The only other character in that gallery that displays correctly is Noire.
Just download the latest patch from this post because there's some other small bug fixes and a missing image in there.
Might need to downsample the image to 1920x1080 if you're running the 1080 version... on my system it didn't scale

Last edited by a moderator:

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
MC's parents are dead. From the OP.""" Your parents are dead, they died in a car accident and you were the driver. """

The so called "mom" says her son is dead. She was the driver who had an accident that killed him.

The so called "sister" does not know the dead son had a daughter.

The dead son's daughter knew and lived with the so called "sister".

MC is not from the so called "mom's" womb in his universe.
MC never had a sister in his universe.
MC never had a daughter in his universe.

The dead son so called "sister" never knew or lived with the so called dead son's "daughter" in her universe.

The dead son's so called "daughter" knew about the so called "sister" and lived with her for some time in her universe.

This leaves us now with 3 different alternate universes unless the so called "grandma" is from a totally different alternate universe than all the others.

But regardless MC is not from the so called "mom's" womb and players who like true incest will get mad about this being tagged incest.

stahalle

Engaged Member
Jul 11, 2018
MC's parents are dead. From the OP.""" Your parents are dead, they died in a car accident and you were the driver. """

The so called "mom" says her son is dead. She was the driver who had an accident that killed him.

The so called "sister" does not know the dead son had a daughter.

The dead son's daughter knew and lived with the so called "sister".

MC is not from the so called "mom's" womb in his universe.
MC never had a sister in his universe.
MC never had a daughter in his universe.

The dead son so called "sister" never knew or lived with the so called dead son's "daughter" in her universe.

The dead son's so called "daughter" knew about the so called "sister" and lived with her for some time in her universe.

This leaves us now with 3 different alternate universes unless the so called "grandma" is from a totally different alternate universe than all the others.

But regardless MC is not from the so called "mom's" womb and players who like true incest will get mad about this being tagged incest.
no not really you are the first and only to have such a big problem with it. and i don´t get what you want to archive with this. nothing is going to get changed. as i said before if its not for you just move on.

packor

Oct 11, 2021
Okay I think the incest tag needs to be removed.

MC is from an alternate universe than everyone else.
Where MC comes from he has no sister and is not a dad plus his mother and father were killed in an accident.
MC has no other family but maybe for a grandmother and that is left up to doubt.

The so called mother said her son is dead and also has a daughter plus her son had at least 1 daughter.

So unless something changes then the incest tag needs to be removed.
denied. Bye, Felicia

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Actually I had done that before getting to playing with 0.6. The dev probably didn't contemplate fixing the existing girls to go from strings to lists of strings. That would have involved doing a fixup after loading a saved game or wrapping getter/setters around these variables to detect whether they are lists or simple strings before working with them.

Just download the latest patch from this post because there's some other small bug fixes and a missing image in there.
Might need to downsample the image to 1920x1080 if you're running the 1080 version... on my system it didn't scale

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Code:
While running game code:
  File "game/d7.rpy", line 1677, in script
    $ crV.append(charRace[1])
  File "game/d7.rpy", line 1677, in <module>
    $ crV.append(charRace[1])
AttributeError: 'unicode' object has no attribute 'append'
Looking in the debug console, crV is only a string set to 'Vana'.

Code:
WeirdShitIsGoingToHappen1080p-v0.6-market/game $ find . -name "*.rpy" -exec grep -iH "crv" {} \;
./rooms.rpy:                    SetVariable("bookCharRace", crV),
./vars.rpy:default crV = [charRace[3]]
./d7.rpy:    $ crV.append(charRace[1])
charRace is a list of strings with charRace[3] set to 'Vana'. charRace[1] is set to 'Unknown'. Even though I was working with a save from what appeared to be 0.5 download, I'm just going to assume that download's version of vars.rpy wasn't doing the initalizer as a list like we see there. Either that or maybe playing this VN from a much earlier release to begin with left me with a crV that was only a simple string?

Anyways.... I'm just going to set it by hand in the console so the append will work and leave me with ['Vana','Unknown'].

---Edit---

The other thing I just noticed is the NPC notes gallery has 6 of the 8 girls that MC knows about probably set as Strings instead of Lists. The hack I just did for Venari has her profile displaying as "Vana, Unknown" while the 6 girls have Python interpret strings as a list a chars and end up dicing things up. For example Eva displays as "H, u, m, a, n". The only other character in that gallery that displays correctly is Noire.
Actually I had done that before getting to playing with 0.6. The dev probably didn't contemplate fixing the existing girls to go from strings to lists of strings. That would have involved doing a fixup after loading a saved game or wrapping getter/setters around these variables to detect whether they are lists or simple strings before working with them.
That's why I said new save recommended.
Renpy does some odd stuff with lists, I actually thought they'd work the way I set them up when I introduced them (a few updates ago), but by the time I actually used them as lists for the first time (this update)(before that I just used one value per char) I notced that renpy doesn't like them the way I set them up, so I had to change all of that.
crV had a typo in the initial release iirc, but in any case, that's fixed in the patch, but it won't fix your save.
Since this is a WIP I prefer to not add extra code just to get previous saves to work with new code, the overall script would become pretty messy over time, and cleaning that up at full release would be a nightmare.
Usually I think twice before adding stuff that make a new save necessary, but this is something I added a long time ago, and thought working, so I had no reason to expect it to not work this update :confused:

Dev refuses to answer my 1 question.

I still like the story but with it being "FAKE" incest is what got me going.
Wrong. I refuse to answer you in general, because it's going nowhere.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
screenshot0002.png
I'm confused by the wording/scoring of this choice, the first option is fine, i can see why that would boost Nira's confidence but the second seems like an even stronger version, basically 'stand up for yourself hun' and yet it lowers her confidence... or am i just misunderstanding what '_sl' is scoring...

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
View attachment 2042732
I'm confused by the wording/scoring of this choice, the first option is fine, i can see why that would boost Nira's confidence but the second seems like an even stronger version, basically 'stand up for yourself hun' and yet it lowers her confidence... or am i just misunderstanding what '_sl' is scoring...
It's not confidence, it's more like "do what I said" vs "do whatever you want".

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
It's not confidence, it's more like "do what I said" vs "do whatever you want".
hmm, so the first option would be 'do whatever you want' and the second the 'do as i tell you' option? How does this play out, if you focus on getting negative scores all the girls become submissive to your will? Focusing on positives will lead to them all being headstrong?

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
You might want to read this post (also check the spoiler in the quote...)

EDIT: Just saw the dev posted an explanation why you keep seeing that error if loading a 0.5 save and why you needed to play from start again.....

hmm, so the first option would be 'do whatever you want' and the second the 'do as i tell you' option? How does this play out, if you focus on getting negative scores all the girls become submissive to your will? Focusing on positives will lead to them all being headstrong?
It's not that extreme, it's more about personality and initiative. Since you're already using URM, look at the points each of them have at the start of the game. Take for instance Eva vs Laurie, they're on the opposite ends(?) of the scale which also reflects in their personality. Same goes for Lilibet vs Nira although less extreme.
Aside from that, whatever side of the scale each character ends up on (negative or positive) so far has little effect on their actions or the story, That might still change and how big of a difference it makes... only the dev knows
There's one little thing though, you might have always chosen +1 for Bethany, getting her on the positive end of the scale, but there's one point in the last update where just one -1 choice sets a boolean that may end up having her behave completely different 'in a certain setting' from the "do what I said" vs the "do whatever you want" idea

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
There's one little thing though, you might have always chosen +1 for Bethany, getting her on the positive end of the scale, but there's one point in the last update where just -1 sets a boolean that may end up having her behave completely different from the "do what I said" vs the "do whatever you want" idea
What do you mean? :unsure:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
What do you mean? :unsure:
Well, if the negative and positive sides of the scale are to be taken somewhat as you stated, that one -1 choice sets a variable that, if going by the name, would make her a sub despite having her points total on the "do whatever you want" side

that's why I inserted the "in a certain setting" bit

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well, if the negative and positive sides of the scale are to be taken somewhat as you stated, that one -1 choice sets a variable that, if going by the name, would make her a sub despite having her points total on the "do whatever you want" side

that's why I inserted the "in a certain setting" bit
Ah, I think I know what you mean. That one sets a chain of events regardless of her personality, but it doesn't change her personality itself ;)

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
BOO! I hate content walls! Now i have to wait for the next release, this is so unfair!

This game is so fucking weird but i'm hooked.

Reactions: recreation
Oct 22, 2017
Dev refuses to answer my 1 question.

I still like the story but with it being "FAKE" incest is what got me going.
Ultimately a discussion about what 'type of (non-)incest' is portrayed here is fruitless in this context.

F95 Zone defines Incest as
Incest [Sex act between family relatives, including those not related by blood.]
So it IS / should be incest in the eyes of F95Zone and most countries in the world.

This definition also includes social incest, making who birthed whom a non-argument for the question of the tag being applied correctly.
Despite them coming from different universes and ignoring shared DNA, their memories are similar enough that they can and do tie in with them easily and old power balances come to fruition instead of new ones being built, which is one of the main ideas behind social incest laws.

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes