Flipper Roo

Oct 3, 2019
I was trying to figure out why I liked Perveteer games so much last night, and I think I did. They do a great job of writing characters, especially female ones. I (the arts nice too.) But seriously a lot of Devs try to write strong female characters, but you end up with a random b**** instead.

Like the commander in this game, I don't like her, but I understand her. And that's a welcome change of pace.
A big bonus for me is that I know there's very little content that one can miss on just a single playthrough. Call me old-fashioned but I prefer games that I only have to play once to experience everything. Branching stories can be cool and all but I feel like it hurts a game more than it helps, every time I play a game with a branching story I always play it regular the first time and the other times I play with the skip button always on.

Flipper Roo

Oct 3, 2019
Except that Adventure games and VNs *started* as games with lots of branching plots. So liking the lack of branching does not make you old fashioned in the least.
You're right, but I was more referring to enjoying a single linear story experience rather than a branching story. I was speaking in general rather than referring specifically to VN's, but you're right!

0blivion

Dec 27, 2017
Note to Dev:

EVA: "And there's always the possibility of us serving under the commander as Petty Officers after graduation."

This is highly unlikely no matter how much they fucked up. Petty Officers are non-commissioned officers. Since they are cadets of a Naval Academy, upon graduations these cadets would be commissioned either as Midshipmen or Ensigns depending on how the ranking structure work in that Navy. Nevertheless, they would be Officers, not non-comms.

Reactions: Perverteer

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
Note to Dev:

EVA: "And there's always the possibility of us serving under the commander as Petty Officers after graduation."

This is highly unlikely no matter how much they fucked up. Petty Officers are non-commissioned officers. Since they are cadets of a Naval Academy, upon graduations these cadets would be commissioned either as Midshipmen or Ensigns depending on how the ranking structure work in that Navy. Nevertheless, they would be Officers, not non-comms.
I knew I'd slip up with the naval/military lingo. Thanks, going to change that mention in the next release.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I knew I'd slip up with the naval/military lingo. Thanks, going to change that mention in the next release.
Have you read Starship Troopers? Good book, and some good discussion of rank in the (space) Navy and (space) Marines.

Read it, don't watch the movie (woof).

BTW, I love your new tag - "Peddler of Fappy Goods"!

Reactions: Shiva0067 and D Dog

Perverteer

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
Have you read Starship Troopers? Good book, and some good discussion of rank in the (space) Navy and (space) Marines.

I've only read Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein so far. Troopers is still on my "to read" list. I did see the movie though and enjoyed the hell out of it, but that's more because it's classical Paul Verhoeven. I wouldn't recommend "Total Recall" to anyone if you wanted to see a true Philip K. Dick adaptation, though the movie is great at the same time.

Had the badge for some time, I do hope my projects provoke some fapping, otherwise I'd have to change it again. :cry:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I've only read Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein so far. Troopers is still on my "to read" list. I did see the movie though and enjoyed the hell out of it, but that's more because it's classical Paul Verhoeven. I wouldn't recommend "Total Recall" to anyone if you wanted to see a true Philip K. Dick adaptation, though the movie is great at the same time.

Had the badge for some time, I do hope my projects provoke some fapping, otherwise I'd have to change it again. :cry:
When I saw the movie I liked it, but I went into it thinking it was going to be a brainless summer action flick. I was not disappointed. The book, however, has action, but also thought. It's fantastic IMO. Just take Henlein's politics with a grain of salt.

Reactions: VentureZapatist

Perverteer

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
When I saw the movie I liked it, but I went into it thinking it was going to be a brainless summer action flick. I was not disappointed. The book, however, has action, but also thought. It's fantastic IMO. Just take Henlein's politics with a grain of salt.
I think that was a common problem with the movie when it came out. :D

I'll move the book up on my list. I'm already a little familiar with Heinlein's politics, so I'll keep your advice in mind. Sometimes classic sci-fi can be really great and at other times it's just so dated and plain weird. I recently finished Niven's Ringworld and that guy's writing irked me to no end, really didn't get why it won a Hugo back then.

• Wow
Reactions: Canto Forte

0blivion

Dec 27, 2017

LOL, no need to read an entire book to just find a few passages about military ranks (though reading books is never bad). Just go on wiki and borrow from the likes of Mass Effect, Starfleet (though they don't consider themselves a military organization), or even our own contemporary military like US or UK. Don't know how involved you want the story to be militarily. But just keep in mind there are almost always two tracks of rank structures, Enlisted and Officer.

And one other caveat, Line officers vs Staff officers. Example: Let's say the commanding officer and XO are indisposed (dead or dying), the two remaining highest ranking officers are a Commander (Medical Officer) and a Lieutenant. Clearly, the Commander outranks the Lieutenant, but the role of leadership would actually falls to the Lieutenant. Why? Because the Lieutenant is a line officer and the medical officer is a staff officer.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
1580597554073.png
A lot of movies predate on this non sensical difference. Clearly there are ranks won in battle, ranks given by the highERUPS and ranks of actually having the skills to boot. In any life and death situations, I would assume a Death Star medal of valor bearer who fought in every intergalactic war would be preferred over the tin man actually holding the leading position on any star ship. This does not mean the tin man inexperienced prick cannot curefew the medal bearer and arrest any of the crew asking to hear from their staff seaRGEANT WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT TO DO IN THOSE SITUATIONS !
bRASS IS ALWAYS NEVER IN CONTROLE BUT BARKING ORDERS AND NOT KNOWING NEARLY ENOUGH.
1580597633592.png

Reactions: DrFree and D Dog

Shiva0067

Sep 3, 2017
So, where is the Planet of CAT GIRLS?? Hmm, thinking about this game (and Dev) I now believe that a Cat Girl world would be a BAD idea. Yes, such a world would cause the game to END, since NO ONE would EVER be able to drag themselves away. :)

Looking forward to learning how the story continues and more AWESOME sexy fun. :)

Just a thought.

4.50 star(s) 132 Votes