Laziness

Feb 14, 2018
You have to be nice to Ziv in S1 and to Raene (or bad twice). You can set these in the console (one by one):
ep004_ziv_derisive and ep004_ziv_impolite = False
ep006_raene_accept and ep006_ra_comfort = True
Well, she didn't break up automatically, but she still acts like I didn't tell her about the other women.

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
Space Operas, even this game, are just fantasy stories that aren't swords & sorcery stereotypes in a medieval-esque setting.
Exactly, in my view, this story is a typical example of Space Opera. Which is a pop-culure sub-genre of Sci-Fi without... science. It can contain whatever, even magic, the only condition is the setting. It is set in space with space ships etc. This genre provides mostly pure amusement contrary to some thought material that normally can be found in more "serious" Sci-Fi.

Reactions: Stringy Bob

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
...to some thought material that normally can be found in more "serious" Sci-Fi.
To the end that in some episode of more "hard" science fiction series/games/whatever the science can take over the story. I remember one episode of a Star Treck series that for me it was 75% or more of science or pseudo science discuss and thus too lengthy for me.

Last edited:

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
I remember one episode of a Star Treck series that I for me it was 75% or more of science or pseudo science discuss and thus for me too lengthy.
Sounds like it might have been a later season of TNG, or even practically any of Voyager... Lots of techno-babble to sound "sciency" whilst still removed from actual "hard" sci-fi.
If it was a "quantum thing" then it was either voyager or Enterprise.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Sounds like it might have been a later season of TNG, or even practically any of Voyager... Lots of techno-babble to sound "sciency" whilst still removed from actual "hard" sci-fi.
If it was a "quantum thing" then it was either voyager or Enterprise.
Well you're right with your second guess. I found the techno-babble practically a strong point of Voyager...
"Hard" sci-fi is difficulty, you try to image a civilisation in the future with (huge) advantage over todays current state (most of the times) so you need to "invent" science that fils out the hohles and more often than not, at some time our science has reached a stage where it proofs that "invent" science false...
But enough of this.;)

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
"Hard" sci-fi is difficulty, you try to image a civilisation in the future with (huge) advantage over todays current state (most of the times) so you need to "invent" science that fils out the hohles and more often than not, at some time our science has reached a stage where it proofs that "invent" science false...
No, "Hard" sci-fi is something like the Expanse or The Martian and Interstellar - Strictly adhering to existing scientific principles typically physics related. In gaming, if you played the I-War games, Homeworld games and even Mass Effect outside of the "space-magic" of element zero and biotics.

What you described is more traditional sci-fi like Star Trek, Stargate and even Dune.

But enough of this.;)
Sure.
As long as other people don't chime in on where we've both agreed to cease this "hi-jackery"... Now I'm imagining a space-pirate rallying their crew with a call to "hi-jackery". I hate my brain sometimes.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: c3p0

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
No, "Hard" sci-fi is something like.... The Martian and Interstellar - Strictly adhering to existing scientific principles
Are you serious? :ROFLMAO: There are lots or blunders and inconsistencies in these two. I couldn't think of the worse examples of strict adherence to the scientific principles. The Expanse is better, though not ideal.
Sorry, just couldn't keep silent, but agree, enough is enough.

Jorund

Jun 10, 2018
Battlefield Earth .... you know you all love it and think it's the perfect example of sci-fi.
Goddammit woman! I had completely successfully deleted that ... thing from my memory. When i didn't recognize it i googled ... probably my biggest mistake for today, maybe even the coming week(s).

Congrats to that exemplary trolling, extremely simple but effective.

Darn, ill need a good fap to recover from that, my brain feels like it vomited into my skull.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Battlefield Earth .... you know you all love it and think it's the perfect example of sci-fi.
Oh girl i had forgotten that weird movie. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, TFtUV is a space scifi even if we never delve too deep into the lore of how their science works. It is not required for the story being told, i would love for it to happen however.

4.40 star(s) 134 Votes