Laziness

Feb 14, 2018
Long story short, he goes on (regular) vacation after the 2nd week of this month, so if it's not out by the 14th, we won't get it for a while.

As for what's taking so long, there was a setback involving Patreon a few months ago that put a damper on things, he said the timing is going to be close.

Jaga Telesin

Apr 19, 2023
As for what's taking so long, there was a setback involving Patreon a few months ago that put a damper on things, he said the timing is going to be close.
I find myself wondering why people even use Patreon for this kind of content now. It's far too restrictive, has too much oversight, and can literally stall a project if someone tries to report you (even just maliciously).

Doesn't seem like there's any good reason to use Patreon other than it being a known platform. But Subscribestar is as well, and doesn't have nearly the limitations that Patreon does.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I find myself wondering why people even use Patreon for this kind of content now. It's far too restrictive, has too much oversight, and can literally stall a project if someone tries to report you (even just maliciously).

Doesn't seem like there's any good reason to use Patreon other than it being a known platform. But Subscribestar is as well, and doesn't have nearly the limitations that Patreon does.
What happened is that developers started out on Patreon before SubscribeStar even existed. It also took a while before SubscribeStar became a realistic alternative. Once a subscriber base was built up on Patreon, it was difficult to just switch over to another platform.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022

Money and PayPal. Patreon makes so much more money for dev's than SS ever will.

SS is credit card only, and as it's still newish compared to most, a lot still just don't trust it.

Jaga Telesin

Apr 19, 2023
What happened is that developers started out on Patreon before SubscribeStar even existed. It also took a while before SubscribeStar became a realistic alternative. Once a subscriber base was built up on Patreon, it was difficult to just switch over to another platform.
Makes sense, but then if you're interested (and invested) in a project monthly, you'd probably follow to another payment platform to continue. At least I would, especially one that doesn't limit authors. But then Sisterly Lust was one of my all-time favorite AVNs, so I might be a tad biased.

Money and PayPal. Patreon makes so much more money for dev's than SS ever will.

SS is credit card only, and as it's still newish compared to most, a lot still just don't trust it.
Wasn't aware, good info to have. I figured they were similar, knowing Paypal's raised their cut over the years on money transfers. Makes it a more difficult call, though as a donor I'd probably be willing to toss another 10-20% at an author if it meant less issues, and no limitations on content or presentation. Again, YMMV. (y)

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Makes sense, but then if you're interested (and invested) in a project monthly, you'd probably follow to another payment platform to continue. At least I would, especially one that doesn't limit authors. But then Sisterly Lust was one of my all-time favorite AVNs, so I might be a tad biased.

Wasn't aware, good info to have. I figured they were similar, knowing Paypal's raised their cut over the years on money transfers. Makes it a more difficult call, though as a donor I'd probably be willing to toss another 10-20% at an author if it meant less issues, and no limitations on content or presentation. Again, YMMV. (y)
Another thing to consider is that in every business I'm aware of if you change your storefront you are basically guaranteed to lose a percentage of your customer base. AVN devs probably rarely have the margins to eat that loss of income, even if things do return to normal or higher after a few months at the new place.

4.40 star(s) 134 Votes