Ren'Py Abandoned Teacher's Pets [v2.06.1] [irredeemable]

3.20 star(s) 40 Votes

Izirider

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2017
I love the Teacher’s Pet, this is one of my favorite erotic games. I like the characters: the frosty, but fiery wife; the naughty colleague; the shy schoolgirl; the cocky politician chick; the not so innocent daughter; and the bitch cheerleader. I love this gang, and I very like the humor of the game.
I understand that the game had to be transformed, because the Patreon brought new rules. I even liked the magical berry disappeared, which is not an illegal drug, but it's just an illegal drug. I don’t like mind controll.
The removal of incest content did not like me first, but but after trying the 1.99995 Alpha, I think that this exchange student concept is not a bad idea.
And since I've started developing a game, I know it's not a simple job. Several hours of work can go to the trash if only a littlefinger passes through someone's stomach, but you only notice it after rendering.
Even so I'm beginning to lose hope for continuous delays. It will happen before the end of the year. It did not happen... It’s ready before bedtime. Not finished… He would rather say what the Duke Nukem Forever developers said: when it's done.
I'm sure if once the 2.0 is really finish, then it will be good. But it is very hard to wait patiently after so many delays.

ravldazle

Oct 9, 2017
Saying "if you don't like, don't come" is really narrow minded, I have to agree on the fact that quite a few people are coming here just to spit at the game and at the pace of updates, but that was bound to happen when you delay a deadline for months, and it's a valid argument, being wrong by a few days is fine, even a month if you decide the current state is not worth it, but doing it alot of times, multiple months in a row is just asking to get bashed by people, it's really frustrating for some people.
if I'm not mistaken the delay only happened because he had to re work the entire game because of a hacker, a troll, and patreon, none of which were his fault, plus he worked on it (according to him) tirelessly for well over 8 hours a day, now im not a game dev, but i know a few people irl that actually work in the field and re working a lot of core mechanics can take LITERALLY months, and isn't deem working by himself? tbh that last part I'm not sure about, but a solo dev designing a 3d game like this i can easily see months and months before actual content updates.
Also, narrow minded? Na dude, i get the whole pissed off thing, but it doesn't give people the right to bash him constantly. If it was me, and people constantly bashed my work that 80% of the thread aren't paying for id say f off and make it patreon only like a lot of other games on this site with some sort of teaser.

Reactions: Centurion

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
Joke in the matter is that Deem showed before that he is capable (iirc) to relase stable and substancial updates on regular basis. Moreover, he initialy seemed like someone who is intelligent and capable of engaging with fans and had ability to grow and getting better in what's he doing.
Then, at some point, he seemed to lose every one of this qualities. Wtf happened? No satisfactionary answer was delivered.

Reactions: LastWord666

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
hopefully after irredeemable updates the game to 2.0 he will get his shit together and stop burning himself with unrealistic deadlines and by constantly changing plans

I am waiting but I'm not a patron, so I'm really not complaining, I just wish success for the project and it's important to be consistent and predictable

Centurion

Jan 20, 2018
Joke in the matter is that Deem showed before that he is capable (iirc) to relase stable and substancial updates on regular basis. Moreover, he initialy seemed like someone who is intelligent and capable of engaging with fans and had ability to grow and getting better in what's he doing.
Then, at some point, he seemed to lose every one of this qualities. Wtf happened? No satisfactionary answer was delivered.
The answer has been discussed but maybe not clear or obvious. The regular updates previously were just adding to existing code and other content. After what happened, he had to re-write the entire game and re-do a lot of images. There's a huge difference between updates and re-writing that much code, dialogue, and new imaging, especially for someone who insists on quality work.

In addition, after going at this as much as he has been for as long as he has been, I suspect he's either burning out or at least worn down and it's more difficult doing quality work like that. I think things will get back to normal once he finishes this first re-release and gets some rest.

Rumplewalrus

Jul 15, 2017
hopefully after irredeemable updates the game to 2.0 he will get his shit together and stop burning himself with unrealistic deadlines and by constantly changing plans

I am waiting but I'm not a patron, so I'm really not complaining, I just wish success for the project and it's important to be consistent and predictable
The unrealistic deadlines are a hallmark of someone that's never had to manage this kind of work before.

It's not a fault - it's just a basic reality.

Anyone that's gone through having to work on a major project where you have tons of things to do, and there's no way to know whether any hiccups will come up along the way, learns real fast just how difficult - and sometimes impossible - it is to guess how long it will take to do something. Ask the average graduate student how long it will take them to finish their thesis/dissertation and you'll just get an angry glare in return...because there's really no way to know.

I'm still in the camp of giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. If he's trying to milk out one more Patron charge...that doesn't even make sense. He could be doing FAR more - with less work - to milk people of money. All he'd need to do is post some rendered teasers with some meta (throw in a new Meg with a cookie on her desk and this forum would lose their mind) and people would be signing up left and right to give him money. Instead he's posting this cryptic desperate updates that read to me like someone under a lot of stress having to figure something out that is entirely new to them and a constant pressure to be done already.

I've had to work with people who exhibited the exact same characteristics Deem is putting forward and it's literally checking all of the boxes for a stressed out worker that's trying to do everything. A big hallmark of this is working to the point of exhaustion and then sleeping for excessively long amounts of time. That kind of work almost invariably leads to mistakes and problems, which means you've spent hours that have to be completely redone - and if you messed up some underlying code you've just compounded the problem.

A major part of huge projects is learning when to step away and do some self care. I know no one here wants to hear that - they want the next update - but a major part of huge projects is stepping away to do something else. As an earlier poster mentioned: go out to dinner, go to a movie, binge watch some Netflix, read a book, go to a bar, have sex - ANYTHING OTHER THAN WORK. It's super duper uber important to get away from work to continue to do good work.

Just look at Japan's work culture. Workers are expected to put in 12-14 hours a day, but their productivity is no better - and many times is worse - than an North American (US/Canada) or Western Europe worker that's only putting in 6-7. There's only so much productivity you have in your brain each day. This is *especially* true for creative work.

If I'm wrong - and it's just an attempt to milk a last Patreon payment - then fine I'll admit I was wrong.

But if I'm right then I hope someone who knows him better steps in to help guide him on some basic principles of project management. Maybe just convince him to go watch some SkillShare information on time management and project management. Because Deem is literally making all of the mistakes you can make, but it's almost certainly not his fault.

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
I think a lot of you fellas have to realize that most people who get stimulated by watching a traffic accident don't really want the accident victim's car.

The Patreon numbers keep climbing while the release dates get closer to being set backward in time and the updates regarding missing the release dates get more and more inexplicable. This is theater at this point. And I wouldn't even bat an eyelash if Deem is bought out by EA at this point for millions while being named president of the new EA WEGFap division.

Reactions: legionx

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
Yeah yeah, 2.0 is on its way, but that's the only thing that kept things going for over a month now and that's all that kept negative criticism at bay at all. Even this 99995 version is far from finished, not as a whole game, but even for 2.0. The whole was a "I'm still doing stuff" thing, so even if it's a big no no to criticize it was basically a lie that the version would be ready. At the moment it looks almost like a 5 year playing with fire, testing the boundaries for how far he can go before the house burns down.

What strikes me as odd is that there are almost no more "But he's such a great and honest guy" people, seems to me like they either know what's up or they got tired of defending his fruitless promises. I'd really love to see what the patreon comments look like after all the missed deadlines.
I think the fact that all of the alpha testers stopped posting entirely is more worrisome.

Reactions: January2015

Blackchip

Apr 22, 2017
I think they all are tired of the constant comments that the game is abandoned, Deem is untrustworthy, why is D now FES, that sucks big time, etc.

If you want to see all the patreon comments, you just need to pledge like the other patrons, then be the upstanding person that you are and pull your pledge before payout day just like it has been posted on this page.

Give us all a break and go away until (or if, in your opinion) the game is released. Then we can get back to the discussion of which is hotter, D, or W.
This so much. I don't understand why people here keep coming around and complain all the time, just go do something else until it comes out.

The monthly payment model sucks, even if you only pay $5 per month you'd end up with a full price for a game that's not worth that kind of money and if you take a look at games like BB or DMD, they'll be left unfinished as they are after the next update, so yeah. Not really a good investment. I wouldn't have a problem with paying let's say $20, but any more is just not worth the wait, in case of patreon the risk, and the price.
That's why when one of the games I like is actually about to be complete I'm going to pledge the highest tier so I actually feel like I supported them.

Dec 13, 2017
You know what I find kinda funny/odd/strange/dumb? The fact that people keep saying Deem had to completely redo the game. It is a myth that he had to do that. What was required (by Patreon) was MINOR revisions and rendering a FEW new images. The core rewrite was HIS idea, and he just decided to do as he did the rewrite. Not to mention that it isn't a COMEPLETE rewrite because he kept LARGE portions of the code. In short, he only needed a couple of weeks to make Patreon happy, then he could have done his "core" reworking.

So, a month after it was supposed to be out, and uncounted "no, really, this time" statements, I'm just going to out this thread on ignore and move along.

Hank Moody

Jul 6, 2017
He is just milking people. 6 months with no updates the only update being this useless v1.99995 update.
I dont think that is entirely accurate

I think we are dealing with someone who thought " I can make a shitty game" but realized its a lot more work than he thought it was

Oh well, Hopefully tomorrow

Rumplewalrus

Jul 15, 2017
I dont think that is entirely accurate

I think we are dealing with someone who thought " I can make a shitty game" but realized its a lot more work than he thought it was

Oh well, Hopefully tomorrow
I also think it's fair to say that there's a lot of people who are genuinely interested in this specific fictional setting. Deem himself may have some really high creative goals for what he's wanting to create with this.

My fear is that this turns into a Phil Fish kinda scenario wherein Deem is such a perfectionist that everything gets constantly delayed and pushed back, which compounds the pressure to get done and get it right, the whole thing causing an exponential growth in anxiety to the point that he just quits.

That's what my fear honestly is.

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
Irredeemable and one of the alpha testers said they were going to quit posting here until 2.0 is released because every time they said something, the thread became another bitch session. Obviously, the rest have done the same.
I'd stop posting too. Although in this case I'd say it was more like "every time they said something and that turned out to be completely bogus, the thread became another bitch session". But yeah, I'd shut up too.

Reactions: s4msepi0l
3.20 star(s) 40 Votes