VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Best Days of Our Lives [v0.5] [UndergroundStudio]

4.20 star(s) 25 Votes

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020

Hello!
Long time no see!
I’m back with some good and bad news. Let’s start with bad.

For almost 3 months I have been looking for a new writer for The Best Days of Our Lives. I wanted to find someone who would fit into Arisushimake’s style of writing and at the same time would be creative and communicative enough so we would continue on creating this story. I have interviewed over 50 candidates and most of them just ghosted me at some point (or were so expensive that I couldn’t afford them). They simply stopped responding, mostly after I gave them the recruitment task. Even when I found someone talented there was a problem with communication or understanding the style of the story. What I mean by that is that they wanted to guide the story in very ridiculous ways or completely rewrite it from the very beginning (using the same characters). I didn’t want that. After dozens of situations like this I figured out that I’m going nowhere. Who knows how much time it would take to finally find someone who would take over the story. And I didn’t want to keep you waiting for such a long time. That’s why I have a sad announcement... Sadly, I put the development of The Best Days of Our Lives on HOLD. And I don’t mean to completely throw it into trash. I’ll still be looking for a writer but I won’t put as much effort into it as I did for the past couple months. I’m sorry that it came to this :(

The good news is that for the last week or two I switched my focus towards a new game I'm creating, called Race of Life. I know that for some of you it won’t fill the void after The Best Days. But the reason why I created Underground Studio is that I wanted to fulfill my dream to make my own Adult Visual Novel. And I can do that with a completely new project where I am the one-man team. This time I want to have it all under my control so I won’t suffer from losing a team member again. Some of you may ask, why wouldn’t I just take over the story for The Best Days myself? The reason is simple - it wasn’t my style of the game. I loved making art for it but the story was 100% Arisushimake's part. If I were a writer it would be a completely different story. I don’t want to butcher it like that and that’s why I didn’t let anyone rewrite it. I would rather put it on hold for now than change what the game was meant to be.

Later today I’ll make another post where I’ll explain what the Race of Life will be.

PS: The new character from the polls will be one of the main characters in Race of Life. So don't worry I haven't forgotten about her :)

What exactly happened to the old writer? And how would you find someone AT ALL? You cant just hire someone and expect them to be able to write 100% as the original. That's not how writing works unless you're a mind reader.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
What exactly happened to the old writer? And how would you find someone AT ALL? You cant just hire someone and expect them to be able to write 100% as the original. That's not how writing works unless you're a mind reader.
This is why I feel the only way this may get a chance to revive is if the artist takes over for the story. Going through over 50 applications because they didn't fit a certain vision or showed signs they would not respect the established story or characters, shows a great amount of care and attention to detail I doubt anyone else will give aside from maybe the original writer and the artist. The fact the writer noted the artists' love and care for the characters and story in their departure message is a testament to that. I just can't see anyway the game will be revived anyhow unless a long time from now the writer suddenly decides to come back and they deal with their creative differences.

Reactions: Lexkar83

Sh0gvn

Dec 19, 2021
Since there is no Thread for it yet I'll post the update for the new Game here.

2.png 4.png

Hello everyone!

I’m back with more scheduled posts! As some of you suggested I decided to heed your advice and from now on I’ll be introducing some (I don’t know yet if I want to reveal all of them) of characters from Race of Life!

The most important character in this game, without him there would be no story - I want to introduce to all of you RoL’s MC - Jake! Probably from the descriptions of the game you already know that he’s a college teacher, currently he’s doing his PhD at Hanford’s University. He’s trying to be the best father he can to his little daughter Lilly but he’s ex-wife is not very pleased about his presence in Lilly’s life. Why exactly? Maybe I’ll tell you more about it when the time comes to introduce Allison Jake truly loves cars. He enjoys going to car meets with his buddy Cooper where they can watch some nice cars and bet on races. He has some major issues with his private life - after what happened with Allison he's not sure about his personality and capability of falling in love. His friend from work Veronica is trying to change that but do you think she’ll make it?

Beside my regular work on some less important characters, refining the story and creating new environments I started working on the main menu of the game. I want it to be more modern and technically well-developed, so the first seconds after you turn on the game will be breathtaking (I know it’s a big word but I hope that you’ll like it!). I started writing up some ideas of mechanics and minigames that probably will be in the game. Minigames would be optional so don’t worry about them if you don’t like them. Next month I will probably start looking for a professional coder to help me out with bringing these ideas to life. If you have any ideas of mechanics or minigames that you really like from other games you can always text me or leave the comment down below! Maybe there’ll be something I didn’t come up with and it’ll perfectly fit into the game.

I need to bring up Underground Studio’s social media so that’s the task for next week!

Anyway, stay tuned!

Synthesis32

Feb 3, 2021
It's a shame to see what this game is going through. I just found it and the renders are soooo good, the story is nice and I really like all characters and their relationships
I just hope the dev can find a new writer that'll keep the quality and the essence of the characters, and if they do I'll probably put this game on my list to support.
On average I just like 1 to 2 LI but this game all 4 girls are beautiful and their interactions with the mc are really good, this game even has good side male characters that's something pretty rare, even King has some nice scenes and isn't a complete jerk all the time

Ps: Vanessa and Sophia best girls but Jennifer and Rebecca aren't that far behind

Reactions: DuckDairyDip

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
It's a shame to see what this game is going through. I just found it and the renders are soooo good, the story is nice and I really like all characters and their relationships
I just hope the dev can find a new writer that'll keep the quality and the essence of the characters, and if they do I'll probably put this game on my list to support.
On average I just like 1 to 2 LI but this game all 4 girls are beautiful and their interactions with the mc are really good, this game even has good side male characters that's something pretty rare, even King has some nice scenes and isn't a complete jerk all the time

Ps: Vanessa and Sophia best girls but Jennifer and Rebecca aren't that far behind
I hope this game continues as well. Despite there being many other games set in a similar setting, the renders and writing both give this game a distinct feeling. Something familiar, yet very bold and gripping and really pulls you into it to want to see the interactions between the characters and the actions they make. I think this game is special. Despite the cliches, despite the overdone setting, it is able to deliver on something familiar, fresh, and something I want to keep experiencing.

Reactions: Synthesis32

Tkoyama

Feb 25, 2020
Shit, I just saw this news today. My poor heart = (

The next game seems to be interesting, but if The Best Days.... come back again, he's going to have a lot of work to do with the 2 games falling into his lap.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well, because I loved this game. Good luck, dev. I'm looking forward to playing your next game.

sdawg1234

Dec 1, 2019
Man, another one gone too soon. Between games being abandoned and completing I'm running out of stuff to play. Doesn't sound like this one is coming back as the dev moved on to another game. Well, I wish him luck.

kartolas

Apr 10, 2021
Very good renders but not much more.
Thank you and good luck for the next project.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
O.k. ... this game is in limbo for no apparent reason, because all we did get
was actually have girls warm up to MC. It only took 5 updates,
but the paths are distinct enough so that the story could go into meeting and befriending more girls,
so as to offer a conclusion to all that character pampering in the first 5 updates,
or just evolve the two paths with the two girls we actually managed to befriend.

The game kind a postulated that MC was just part of a group that was apart from him,
meaning they, the others in that group, acted as one in pranking and actin mean towards MC.

Then MC warmed back up to them, seeing as any girl he would meet was spoiled by the group.

Some gamers felt good girls were not falling for MC,
the trouble is, the game did not build MC up, it just made him feel inadequate and outside the group.

We still do not have actual interests of MC, something to live for, something to strive for.

Of course, when all we get is babe interactions and the pranks and the feeling lost and lonely,
it got easy to welcome any girl who would warm up to MC and get the game rolling,
making the action actually captivate and go somewhere.

And then, it was gone.

This new game, seems to cater to building MC up pretty well.
Should they go the prequel damnation route again, they should show some of the actual interests and activites of MC that he enjoys, that attract people around him, that make him his own man.
A car gives him instant status and people need some hunk to drive them around,
especially babes. Drawing inspiration from those bas s hun ter videos might work.

Elefy

Jan 4, 2022
Hmmm, you caught me :D
but its UndergroundStudio model, just my render here.

Last edited:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
You can never go wrong with one of the hotties in this game.
Eye candy to melt some time into hot tea with a bite.

ERA51

The Hitcher
Feb 26, 2022
The Best Days of Our Lives will continue!!!
ERA 51 has been given the assets to the game that has been on hold for quite some time!
Now it is being worked on again!

Would you like to see how it will continue? Would you like to be updated on our progess? Join our discord

Or you can already become a patreon!

Last edited:

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Is Jachu no longer involved with the project at all? Is it planned for the game to continue where it left off or to start all over?

4.20 star(s) 25 Votes