Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
According to these: Vampire: The Masquerade glossary, Vampire: The Requiem glossary ...
Sire is a term used to describe a vampire who has created another vampire (a childe).

Does vampire lore use "sire", rather than "dame", the female equivalent, for female "parent" vampires?
I can see why it might as, regardless of her being female, the turning of a human is much more akin to the male role in reproduction.
So it would make sense for the vampire who turns us to be our Father/Sire, regardless of their actual gender.

But, just wondered if that's how it is?

Reactions: whichone

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
According to these: Vampire: The Masquerade glossary, Vampire: The Requiem glossary ...
Sire is a term used to describe a vampire who has created another vampire (a childe).
OK, so not official across vampire terminology in literature, just in that board game series.
Thanks. (y)

It's funny how it's used in animal breeding & also as a regal address.
Sire is how you address the King, in many European countries.
It's also any animal that has become a Father, it's sired offspring.

That's why I could see it fitting with a vampire turning a human.

Last edited:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
We are talking game lore here .. right? This term is a whacky one.
Sire is a tippical term for nobility - the one who owns you ...
Do you remember any sire or childe when the 1st dracula novels appeared?
NO? Did not think so.
In both Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: The Requiem, a sire is a vampire that has Embraced a childe. The term is unisex, applying to both male and female vampires (thus a female vampire is not a dam, but is also a sire). Alternatively, the term may apply to the act of the Embrace itself, i.e. one may be said to have sired a childe. Similarly, one's sire's sire is one's grandsire, although that particular distinction may not be particularly relevant. Typically, a fledgling's sire is held accountable for the new childe's actions until such a time that the childe is capable of striking out on their own.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
We are talking game lore here .. right? This term is a whacky one.
Do you remember any childe when the 1st dracula novels appeared?
NO? Did not think so.
In both Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: The Requiem, a sire is a vampire that has Embraced a childe. The term is unisex, applying to both male and female vampires (thus a female vampire is not a dam, but is also a sire). Alternatively, the term may apply to the act of the Embrace itself, i.e. one may be said to have sired a childe. Similarly, one's sire's sire is one's grandsire, although that particular distinction may not be particularly relevant. Typically, a fledgling's sire is held accountable for the new childe's actions until such a time that the childe is capable of striking out on their own.
I don't follow, why is Vampire: The Masquerade considered an authority?
Is that the lore that this game states it follows?

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
INfluences you will also notice .. if you watched those shows, that is:
A vampire that was afraid of crosses? Why, BBC's Dracula, of course! And it's really fresh as well! It also successfully mimics the astronomic rise and catastrophic demise of Game of Thrones show in just 3 episodes, but still. Definitely a classic interpretation of a vampire, at least in the first episode.

Just as a note, and I realize how it may look like that is the case based on what is shown so far, but VtM is not the only inspiration for this work (for example, as hinted by the title screen, True Blood was also a major inspiration). It's understandable that people are drawing direct parallels, but there are some major differences in the lore, behavior and other stuff when directly compared to VtM
I don't follow, why is Vampire: The Masquerade considered an authority?
Is that the lore that this game states it follows?

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Sire is a tippical term for nobility - the one who owns you ...
It is not to do with ownership. It's literally father.
It's similar to Sir, 100% male, but also parental.
It's not for nobility, they would be addressed as Sir/Duke/Earl, whatever their title. It's specifically for the King.
I guess "Sire" for a royal address is maybe because the King is the symbolic Father of the country? :unsure:

Anyway, that's why I said I can understand its use in the board game, VTM.
The vampire who turns you is your Father/Sire, regardless of their gender.
I just wondered if, if gender did matter, there was maybe a female equivalent term for her, as the creature who turned you. Obviously not in that game, but somewhere else, in a different influence.
INfluences you will also notice .. if you watched those shows, that is:
Never watched True Blood, didn't get on with it. Read the first book from the series it's based on, Dead Until Dark.

Anyway, thanks again. See it has many influences, not just the board game. (y)

Last edited:

Dalish

Mar 18, 2019
It is not to do with ownership. It's literally father.
It's similar to Sir, 100% male, but also parental.
It's not for nobility, they would be addressed as Sir/Duke/Earl, whatever their title. It's specifically for the King.
I guess "Sire" for a royal address is maybe because the King is the symbolic Father of the country? :unsure:

Anyway, that's why I said I can understand its use in the board game, VTM.
The vampire who turns you is your Father/Sire, regardless of their gender.
I just wondered if, if gender did matter, there was maybe a female equivalent term for her, as the creature who turned you. Obviously not in that game, but somewhere else, in a different influence.

Never watched True Blood, didn't get on with it. Read the first book from the series it's based on, Dead Until Dark.

Anyway, thanks again. See it has many influences, not just the board game. (y)
I've actually wanted to try out the boardgame closest I got was messing around on table top simulator with some friends.
I never saw true blood but I did catch a few episodes of from dusk til dawn series on netflix, that seemed pretty decent.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
I've actually wanted to try out the boardgame closest I got was messing around on table top simulator with some friends.
I never saw true blood but I did catch a few episodes of from dusk til dawn series on netflix, that seemed pretty decent.
Oh! I didn't know they'd made a series?
Thanks mate, the film was good, obviously largely comedy. Does the TV show follow the same, or does it take itself more seriously?

Dalish

Mar 18, 2019
Oh! I didn't know they'd made a series?
Thanks mate, the film was good, obviously largely comedy. Does the TV show follow the same, or does it take itself more seriously?
The ones I saw it took itself a bit more seriously, but it did still have some comedic elements. I just googled it though apparently they are already 3 seasons deep. Ordinarily that would mean a show is good enough to warrant 3 seasons.. But at the same time its netflix so don't hold thy breath :LOL:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
You're right we did get sidetracked a bit sorry :cool:
Nothing to apologize. Happens to me all the time.

But then mods come and erase massively without looking what, and actual important comments got swipe too.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Yeah, true. Let's get back to you complaining about Dracula stealing your powers. (y)
As I said, I acknowledged I was responsible too!

I am simply trying to avoid mods coming and deleting everything we said in the last 5 pages.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
As I said, I acknowledged I was responsible too!
Just teasing.
Wouldn't have been any fun if you didn't already recognise the hypocrisy. ;)
I just wondered if the term "sire" was generic, or specific. Seems it's specific. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ayhsel
4.50 star(s) 69 Votes