SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Well, some interesting or maybe not so interesting news for some. I can see why it's being done, just not my type of art (or my cup of tea as they say), others will probably love it.

“To each their own”

Looks like faster releases, and new version even soon to.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Well, some interesting or maybe not so interesting news for some. I can see why it's being done, just not my type of art (or my cup of tea as they say), others will probably love it.

“To each their own”

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Reactions: ReiCaixa

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017

“To each their own”

1ad2ffcfbff842e059912e61a5c15b5c_w200.gif

I'm confused. So TCFM is going to become a colorful happy anime game now? The 3DCG aspect of this game made it dark and spooky and fit well with the setting. It had that right amount of dark ambience to make the dread feel right.

From those images above, it looks like some colorful light-hearted anime game. Like one of those weird point & click puzzles games that you always see advertised. It looks really out of place with the dark setting of this story.

Is this really happening? So no more TCFM as it is now? It's going to be this 2D anime thing now?

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
View attachment 2329874

I'm confused. So TCFM is going to become a colorful happy anime game now? The 3DCG aspect of this game made it dark and spooky and fit well with the setting. It had that right amount of dark ambience to make the dread feel right.

From those images above, it looks like some colorful light-hearted anime game. Like one of those weird point & click puzzles games that you always see advertised. It looks really out of place with the dark setting of this story.

Is this really happening? So no more TCFM as it is now? It's going to be this 2D anime thing now?
Hey, I have no idea, that's just what is posted.

This is my interpretation; the next Arc will be in that 2D style. I don't believe the story, setting, and overall theme will change. Just making that switch to 2D, and everything else will remain the same.

Also say they will remake the earlier chapters in that style to, but with the caveat they finish the game first.

I do think they though that art, doesn't convey that Lovecraftian universe all that well (that's just my opinion others will disagree).

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
I know how cynical this sounds, but I'm starting to think my enamoured introduction to the first few chapters of this game was just a coincidental mistake. The dev obviously has writing and art direction talent, so it's beyond me why he wants to take this in what looks to be a bargain-bin eva kiss direction. Going from a cool ambient setting to lazy cartoon graphics? Hmmm. Going from a pnakotic-focused story with many relationship branches to a lukewarm story converging on the dime a dozen 'bang sleazy guys' female protag game? Hmmm...

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I know how cynical this sounds, but I'm starting to think my enamoured introduction to the first few chapters of this game was just a coincidental mistake. The dev obviously has writing and art direction talent, so it's beyond me why he wants to take this in what looks to be a bargain-bin eva kiss direction. Going from a cool ambient setting to lazy cartoon graphics? Hmmm. Going from a pnakotic-focused story with many relationship branches to a lukewarm story converging on the dime a dozen 'bang sleazy guys' female protag game? Hmmm...
yeah...I was quite shocked to read that. Not going to bode well for this story, I think. A real shame.

Vlad11

Dec 17, 2021
View attachment 2329874

YES it is very sad if TCFM going to be 2D anime. BUT chapter 6 most likely will be in 3d and saves will be compatible.

- become a pаtron and support the author if you want to TCFM stay in 3D. Leave comments in patreon about visual future The cure for madness. grumpygranny must feel our support and know about our opinion .

Last edited:

Vlad11

Dec 17, 2021
yeah...I was quite shocked to read that. Not going to bode well for this story, I think. A real shame.
I was shocked too. It spoils the whole atmosphere. Leave comments with your opinion here

Last edited:

GrumpyGranny

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2018
YES it is very sad if TCFM going to be 2D anime. BUT chapter 6 most likely will be in 3d and saves will be compatible.

- become a pаtron and support the author if you want to TCFM stay in 3D. Leave comments in patreon about visual future The cure for madness. grumpygranny must feel our support and know about our opinion .

Seriously, please don't. It doesn't work that way.

I expected serious hate on the art, but I am not sure what is the reasoning behind this line of thinking: I mean, why would you expect the story to be any different now...?

Reactions: DKArthas

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020

I expected serious hate on the art, but I am not sure what is the reasoning behind this line of thinking: I mean, why would you expect the story to be any different now...?
Ok, I'll take the bait on this...

Story, same. Same as in the words, on paper, the words we read. Can those words still be engaging, meaningful, moving? Sure, no doubt. But where are we? Are we in the book world or the VN world? In the VN world a person enters to be engaged by the words and by the art. It is expected if one puts that title on their work. Then, the author must choose which art style to use. I have no problem with someone making the game they want, but they (the author) must also expect that whichever visual style they use to communicate the story will have both proponents and detractors. Some folks have genes hardwired for 2D style, some don't. But switching the style midgame will certainly cause some angst for those drawn here, at least in part, by the artistic style to which they relate.

As for me, I don't do 2D in these stories. I know they're hugely popular. If one goes to the cover page on this site and reviews the top threads for the past 30 days, it's almost all 2D games. But when I engage with one of these stories I want extra senses brought into play and I choose that medium to be realism, or hyper-realism, art style. As a video editor I am drawn to efforts of artists that use a more technically difficult and cumbersome process to communicate to my brain the plausibility of the story. My brain just rebels against 2D. I might as well just copy/paste the words into a text editor and read the story without distraction.

And audio....don't get me started on how disappointed I am with most creators of these games and their lack of attention to SFX and foley....but, that's another story.

Regardless...all the best to you and your project.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
This is madness. What writing? Madness anyone can write.
Nobody can see the end of madness, right?

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I like the 3D MC model more than that 2D sample. Also Idk if switching to 2D will speed things up. 2D games bottle neck is the art too. Drawing takes time, sometimes it takes more time than rendering. But we will see I suppose.
As for the lovecraftian style, you can achieve that with anime style too.

Last edited:

GrumpyGranny

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2018
I like the 3D MC model more than that 2D sample. Also Idk if switching to 2D will speed things up. 2D games bottle neck is the art too. Drawing takes time, sometimes it takes more time than rendering. But we will see I suppose.
As for the lovecrafttian style, you can achieve that with anime style too.
Absolutely, it's not faster, more like the other way, the reason for my "optimism" is that now I can outsource some of the art, like backgrounds, and maybe CGs. Regarding lovecraftian visuals, for me, this is a much more suitable medium to go full crazy.

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
Absolutely, it's not faster, more like the other way, the reason for my "optimism" is that now I can outsource some of the art, like backgrounds, and maybe CGs. Regarding lovecraftian visuals, for me, this is a much more suitable medium to go full crazy.
I understand what you are saying... but the two pics you sampled did not show the Lovecraftian "themes of cosmic dread, forbidden and dangerous knowledge, madness, non-human influences on humanity, religion and superstition, fate and inevitability, and the risks associated with scientific discoveries" (quote from ).

True, two samples are not telling the full impact the vid change from 3D to 2D will entail. A better set of samples could have been chosen, though, to show the changeover will carry the Lovecraftian horror... if they exist.

Disclaimer: I side with WuzzyFuzzy as far as my love of 3D graphics over 2D, especially Daz3D... well not sure about Genesis 9, but I digress. :cool:

Vlad11

Dec 17, 2021

i just hope the 3d version won't be completely abandoned

GrumpyGranny

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2018
I understand what you are saying... but the two pics you sampled did not show the Lovecraftian "themes of cosmic dread, forbidden and dangerous knowledge, madness, non-human influences on humanity, religion and superstition, fate and inevitability, and the risks associated with scientific discoveries" (quote from ).

True, two samples are not telling the full impact the vid change from 3D to 2D will entail. A better set of samples could have been chosen, though, to show the changeover will carry the Lovecraftian horror... if they exist.

Disclaimer: I side with WuzzyFuzzy as far as my love of 3D graphics over 2D, especially Daz3D... well not sure about Genesis 9, but I digress. :cool:
Well, obviously. I was focusing the last few months almost exclusively on chapter 5, so there is a lot of content that needs to be done and I do not want to spoil what happens in chapter 6.

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
Well, obviously. I was focusing the last few months almost exclusively on chapter 5, so there is a lot of content that needs to be done and I do not want to spoil what happens in chapter 6.
Understand. I will have a look at chapter 6 before I make any decision on the 2D changeover.

Reactions: GrumpyGranny
4.20 star(s) 17 Votes