The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yeah, 'Loot Boxes' sums things up nicely. Aren't those illegal now? Looking it up...

Of course, the Genesis 8.1 figures in this offer aren't resellable, so they have no 'market value', except to Daz Productions and the creators that want them, but yeah...

I hope that the Daz3D.com community gives this latest marketing ploy a hard no, but I guess we'll see...

Edit: reading some of the Daz3D forum comments now. Definitely agree with the 'thinly veiled cash grab' sentiment...

Last edited:
Reactions: seamanq

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
No, definitly not signing up for 149$ for 2 month, that's ridiculous.
W - T - F????? For TWO MONTHS???? Has someone at Daz gone off their meds? This is CRAZY!!! I would be surprised if they found anyone gullible enough to go for this. Whoever created this promo needs to be shown the back door, with a boot to the head.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
My scan of the six pages of the Daz forum thread discussing this shows about over half of the 'forum regulars' just saying no, probably the next 40% saying 'probably not but need questions answered', and a few people already sporting the new Season Pass forum badges. So a few people are already sipping the cool aid.

It was also pointed out that most of the Daz customers don't visit the forum very often if at all, so adoption outside of the forum is anyone's guess. Daz Jessica and a couple of the other 'usual Daz quasi-employee suspects' like Jack Tomalin have been talking it up in the thread of course...

Ivy summed up my own recent feelings in the thread above quite nicely:

Ivy 4:52 PM 4/5/2021

Its just my opinion. But Daz may get more people participating in the forums & Galleries. If the forum & Gallery moderators lighten up a bit and stop being such prima-donna's and remove just about everything.
So now days I make my voice heard with my wallet & I sure cut my spending & posting stuff here at daz in the last few months because of the BS . Nothing says we want your business more than receiving a email " We removed your comment or gallery post for {Insert ridiculous excuse here }
Want the secret to more business Maybe try improving CS so it does not take 6 weeks to get a reply from CS and lighten up on the heavy handed gallery and forum moderation already. Its a real turn off to your users

Neika

Apr 7, 2021
they offer annual pc+ membership for 50$
I considered buying, but is it worth it? I'm new to daz so I can't figure out this price worth yet

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
I considered buying, but is it worth it? I'm new to daz so I can't figure out this price worth yet
If you plan on buying products:
Yes, it is.
You'll get a 6$ coupon on PC+ Items and a 6$ off when you buy 18$+ off plus freebies (which haven't been great in the last months, but if you are starting with they will be useful)

Reactions: OhWee

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
If you plan on buying products:
Yes, it is.
You'll get a 6$ coupon on PC+ Items and a 6$ off when you buy 18$+ off plus freebies (which haven't been great in the last months, but if you are starting with they will be useful)
I agree. It also gives you access to a huge library of very cheap items (most are old, but it is a very good way to build an initial decent library and there are some items that I use very frequently) and to special offers. Some offers not so interesting (as today one), but some can be terrific. And the permanent 30% off daz originals items (that represent almost half of all items) is also very useful.

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
Just read DAZs offer ... 150 bucks for 2 months ... seriously???
Almost makes me think of an april fools joke.

• Sad

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
A gift card flash sale during 6h at daz3D.
Buy a gift card 50$ to 300$ to get 5% to 22% off and 1 to 10 free g3 items.
Note : reserved to PC+

• Yay, new update!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
A gift card flash sale during 6h at daz3D.
Buy a gift card 50$ to 300$ to get 5% to 22% off and 1 to 10 free g3 items.
Note : reserved to PC+

Sooo, for about $235, as a PC+ member you can grab up to $174.70 in Genesis3 DO items. Sure, if you are patient, you may be able to grab a number of these items for about $30 eventually in $2.99 sales as they pop up, but yeah...

I'm good on store credit ATM thanks to a rather 'Meh' MM sale this time around, but I'm still considering a recharge. 22% seems to be about par for the course these days... It's often been lower than that in various gift card sales offers this year...

Another way to look at this would be to 'factor in' an extra $30 for the 10 freebies (assuming $2.99 sales). That would work out to roughly 31% off with a $301 gift card, assuming that you'd end up buying those 10 items anyways...

As for today's $50 PC+ membership sale, that's about 29% off, which seems to be pretty good under this 'new normal'...

---

Daz Productions just received an Unreal Engine grant. I wasn't able to find a dollar amount on this (I looked) but I think this ties in to the 'new normal'.

It would seem that the Daz sales team is now banking on the 'new' customer base that is finding it's way to Daz Studio via Unreal Engine, Unity, etc. and the associated bridges, and the possibility of eeking out more value from their products with these newer customers. With this influx of new customers, the Daz sales team seems to have less incentive to keep their older customers as interested via sales offers. The discounts offered so far this year haven't impressed the old guard very much...

And yeah, then there's the NFT thing and the Season Pass thing. Rubes/Newbies may love it! As for me, it's an easy pass, just pass...

Food for thought!

• Thinking Face

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
It is better to wait until it is discounted. I would recommend that you check out the freebies that they offer everyone to start building your collection.
I would wait until the PC+ membership goes on sale. The last two times I bought it, it was 50% off or less ($35 and $24.50, respectively). Before that, I would take advantage of all the freebies they offer every month, as well as checking out the Free Stuff for Daz3D thread. It may take a while to see a decent sale on PC+, but they do offer them from time to time. In my (not so) humble opinion, $50 ain't that much of a discount. Play around with the stuff you can get for free first and see how you like it first. You can also buy it monthly or for three months (that's what I did the first time). The two coupons that they offer each month covered the cost of the quarterly subscription.

You can get free stuff every month by clicking on the "SHOP" tab on Daz3D then clicking on Weekly Freebies. The majority of the older base models that I have I got for free from this section. Give yourself some time to get used to the program, what it does, and how you will use it before pouring too much in. It can be a huge money pit.

Reactions: Neika

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I'm good on store credit ATM thanks to a rather 'Meh' MM sale this time around, but I'm still considering a recharge. 22% seems to be about par for the course these days... It's often been lower than that in various gift card sales offers this year...
They did 30%+ at year end and 28% (if you bought $300 at the beginning of MM). I prolly will wait for something like that because the stuff they are selling right now hasn't inspired me all that much.

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
Just read DAZs offer ... 150 bucks for 2 months ... seriously???
Almost makes me think of an april fools joke.

The time doesn't really matter, because you'll only get what they offered (6 x 8.1 Figures and whatever).
They could just put this in a "the newest hottest staff pick youe really really need" offer and sell it, but than they would have to show you what you'll get before you buy it. And sure it's not so fancy like a "season pass" .....

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
The time doesn't really matter, because you'll only get what they offered (6 x 8.1 Figures and whatever).
They could just put this in a "the newest hottest staff pick youe really really need" offer and sell it, but than they would have to show you what you'll get before you buy it. And sure it's not so fancy like a "season pass" .....
Since a lot of idiots buy season passes fro regular games, the DAZ team probably thought that will work with their
business model too.

Reactions: tk99

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Since a lot of idiots buy season passes fro regular games, the DAZ team probably thought that will work with their
business model too.
I'm sure there's some fancy algorithm one of their MBA wonks came up with that showed if "enough" suckers people bought it that it would be profitable, no matter what the cost. You can never underestimate the public. On the Daz forums, the reaction has ranged from meh to HELL NO! with about 18 pages of posts and counting. It's certainly entertaining, at least.

Reactions: Baka plays

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
I'm sure there's some fancy algorithm one of their MBA wonks came up with that showed if "enough" suckers people bought it that it would be profitable, no matter what the cost. You can never underestimate the public. On the Daz forums, the reaction has ranged from meh to HELL NO! with about 18 pages of posts and counting. It's certainly entertaining, at least.

I don't think so.

I think they just got a new advertising manager or something like that.

The last months they are jumping on everything what's (seems to be) cool.
Binary, NFT, season passes.

I reality, they don't get anything done.
Previews of new purchase are not working (they are even not in the supposed categories)
8.1 was .... not a big success, as far as I can tell (the new face rig is nice, but simply don't pay 60$ for a vic 8.1 HD and can't use existing morphs, expressions and so on. And the PBR Skin .. nice start, but that has to get better).

IK is the same shit for years, timeline is .. mehhh.

Can anbody explain the new filament?

I got wired problems with .15 ...

Counting the problems I encounter and what the want to be ....
They should just start new ...

With the web/shop (not showing discounts, not showing products, not even being able to strip spaces from discount codes).
With the forums (I like that y2000 feeling)
And with Daz ... DIM, DCentral. Not to mention the many bugs.

I would really like to use some other products ...
But they don't offer what daz offers and I don't want to learn blender for a few years to just produce something "viewable".

Sorry for the rant, but this great software just ruined a 360 frames animation ... which rendered fine in 4.12 ....

Reactions: Baka plays

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
DAZ and NFTs ... hmmm i think i agree with BlenderGuru who said it will get big fast, and will die fast.
Judging by the art i've seen ... well, he might be correct on that one.

Reactions: tk99

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
DAZ and NFTs ... hmmm i think i agree with BlenderGuru who said it will get big fast, and will die fast.
Judging by the art i've seen ... well, he might be correct on that one.

NFT is just bullshit.
I wonder where all the CO2 warriors are when they (finally) could do something good.

"But .... oh ... it's fancy and trendy. Let's do something with blockchain. No, let's do something with media. MEDIA BLOCKCHAIN!"

And no, I like blender guru, but he really underestimates the stupidity of the people out there.

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
Was lookign around in the DAz forums but i couldn't find the discussion, cany you share a link please?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote