HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks justsum!
It's not like the big hitters out there but way more than I expected. Overall very happy and have taken away the anxiety of going full-time on this.
Reviews go a bit back and forth, but that is to be expected with our DeLuca game here. Heavy (weird) story with low lewd with season 1, and it is understandable that there is a rift between like and dislike.
Fortunately my time here on f95 have already prepared me for that :LOL:

jish55

Nov 23, 2017
Thanks justsum!
It's not like the big hitters out there but way more than I expected. Overall very happy and have taken away the anxiety of going full-time on this.
Reviews go a bit back and forth, but that is to be expected with our DeLuca game here. Heavy (weird) story with low lewd with season 1, and it is understandable that there is a rift between like and dislike.
That is definitely another bonus to f95, where many can be your harshest critics and in turn get you ready for what you're going through with Steam. With that said, I'm so glad the game is selling well and I'm sure once you get through season 2, it'll get far more attention and be even more successful.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks justsum!
Glad it's going well sadly I didn't leave a review just cause I can't recall the story to well to really leave one and i'm trying my best not to play it till Season 2's first episode is out as I don't really want to see or think about the cliffhanger until then. but I did buy it day 1 :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: HopesGaming

Sourabh44

Jun 25, 2023
Thanks justsum!
Earlier today, i saw that a person has given 2 star rating to this game and i was strongly disagree with his review then i realized that i also haven't rated this game so i was trying to rate this game but i was unable to figure out how to do so can anyone please tell me how to rate games on this site

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
Earlier today, i saw that a person has given 2 star rating to this game and i was strongly disagree with his review then i realized that i also haven't rated this game so i was trying to rate this game but i was unable to figure out how to do so can anyone please tell me how to rate games on this site
Simply click on the red stars at the top right and write your review in the new window. You can choose up to 5 stars :WeSmart:.

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
It appears HopesGaming is killing it in Steam sales.. Grats to him and his success.
Thanks justsum!
That is something that is absolutely not going into my head.

A stable income though steam ?

I get the monthly subscribing system from Patreon/SubscribeStar to generate a stable income, but steam? I don't know...

Without going into numbers, which will we for sure not get here, what is HopesGaming getting from steam in the long term?

You sell a copy of your game for, I just assume a number, 15$/€ whatever.
Steam takes 30%, that means 10$/€ are for the dev before taxes.
Now we assume a greedy gov that take also 30-40%
6$/€ per sold copy, and that is only one time.

To get, let's say 3000$/€ per month HopesGaming has to sell 500 copies every month to have a stable income.

Don't get me wrong, I wish HopesGaming the best of luck for the future, but from my understanding is steam relatively unsure for planing a outcome as a longtime fulltime dev.

It could just as well be that I have made a massive error in my thinking, because I have no clue about steam and can only watch from the outside to draw my conclusions...

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019

I get the monthly subscribing system from Patreon/SubscribeStar to generate a stable income, but steam? I don't know...

Without going into numbers, which will we for sure not get here, what is HopesGaming getting from steam in the long term?

To get, let's say 3000$/€ per month HopesGaming has to sell 500 copies every month to have a stable income.

Don't get me wrong, I wish HopesGaming the best of luck for the future, but from my understanding is steam relatively unsure for planing a outcome as a longtime fulltime dev.

It could just as well be that I have made a massive error in my thinking, because I have no clue about steam and can only watch from the outside to draw my conclusions...
I agree wholeheartedly, however, this in principle is what you will always get when being a self employed artist of any kind. You will not have a fixed income but depend on sales which will be fluctuating wildly even at the best of times, with hardly any guarantee that it will continue being an income stream for any prolongued time at all. Unless your name is Taylor Swift by any chance.

Of course the Patreon system can offer a more reliable level of income, but even there people can just unsubscribe just because whatever, and if you look at the general dev (so not one of the DIKs around) the stream is pretty stable but also more of a trickle.

I think for Hopes to get his dream of working independently and full time in this field, he will need every possible means of income, so Steam PLUS Patreon maybe PLUS other platforms for sale PLUS buymeacoffee and so forth. Also a good quality of work (which he has) plus a steady advance into new content to entice new buyers - and luck. Tons of it.

All the best for Hopes, I personally am too much of a coward to even consider such a step. The lack of any recognizable artistic talent may also play a role, but even if my name was Taylor Swift, I would always keep an option open for a job as a clerk in some large company or maybe even better in some governmental agency. ;)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017

It won't be a stable income like that.
The way steam work is that the biggest sales numbers happen the first month (first week with the biggest jump).
Then it quickly slows down.
The plan is to have enough the first month of steam sales. Then save that and combined with monthly Patreon to cross the minimum wage by a decent margin to feel comfortable to go full-time.
And I can say that it have done that.
So, the plan is to now release episodes instead of season at steam every 3-4 month to keep interest and traffic up at steam.

Of course, there is always the chance that season 2 will be hated by everyone and no more sales. Especially if the game get lots of bad reviews on steam, as reviews means a lot there. But that's the risk you have to be willing to take if you're doing this kind of work. And I'm passionated about creating stories, so I'm willing :)!

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
I agree wholeheartedly, however, this in principle is what you will always get when being a self employed artist of any kind. You will not have a fixed income but depend on sales which will be fluctuating wildly even at the best of times, with hardly any guarantee that it will continue being an income stream for any prolongued time at all. Unless your name is Taylor Swift by any chance.

Of course the Patreon system can offer a more reliable level of income, but even there people can just unsubscribe just because whatever, and if you look at the general dev (so not one of the DIKs around) the stream is pretty stable but also more of a trickle.

I think for Hopes to get his dream of working independently and full time in this field, he will need every possible means of income, so Steam PLUS Patreon maybe PLUS other platforms for sale PLUS buymeacoffee and so forth. Also a good quality of work (which he has) plus a steady advance into new content to entice new buyers - and luck. Tons of it.

All the best for Hopes, I personally am too much of a coward to even consider such a step. The lack of any recognizable artistic talent may also play a role, but even if my name was Taylor Swift, I would always keep an option open for a job as a clerk in some large company or maybe even better in some governmental agency. ;)
I thought you were in the business of making and selling maps :ROFLMAO:.
Seriously though, I think Hopes comes from a very conservative family and I remember reading that when he first started he had to hide (alt-tab) as if he was cooking dope in his room.
I guess even today when his mum or someone in a similar role asks him what he's doing it must make him uncomfortable, so it's very brave of him to take the next step (y).

Sourabh44

Jun 25, 2023
Simply click on the red stars at the top right and write your review in the new window. You can choose up to 5 stars :WeSmart:.
Thanks dude i was doing similar thing but instead of clicking on stars i was clicking on 480votes option and it was showing me review

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
It won't be a stable income like that.
The way steam work is that the biggest sales numbers happen the first month (first week with the biggest jump).
Then it quickly slows down.
The plan is to have enough the first month of steam sales. Then save that and combined with monthly Patreon to cross the minimum wage by a decent margin to feel comfortable to go full-time.
And I can say that it have done that.
So, the plan is to now release episodes instead of season at steam every 3-4 month to keep interest and traffic up at steam.

Of course, there is always the chance that season 2 will be hated by everyone and no more sales. Especially if the game get lots of bad reviews on steam, as reviews means a lot there. But that's the risk you have to be willing to take if you're doing this kind of work. And I'm passionated about creating stories, so I'm willing :)!
Well, I think every DeLuca soldier out there is happy that you're having a good enough success with your steam sales.

With you now going full time, I really do hope that you can find the good balance of the juggling between the VN content and contracts (i.e. Wilfred's contracts gameplay etc) content.
Cause hearing you say you weren't quite as satisfied with VN content with season 1 and wish that you would have done more, it makes me hope that things will change to prevent it from reoccuring.

Yes, you moving into your own home (with fiance who knows and understands what you're doing), with your own office space to work on the game is definitely a step in the right direction.
But what about the content delivery?

Will it be going in just pure one-sided rotation?
i.e. 100% VN content (first season 2 update) → 100% contracts gameplay content (second season 2 update) → 100% VN content (third season 2 update)

rinse and repeat the cycle?

Or will it be a bit of a mix-up rotation, such as;

i.e. 70% VN content + 30% Contracts gameplay content (first season 2 update) → 40% VN content + 60% Contracts gameplay content (second season 2 update)
[this mix-up approach I guess is more catered for people who only play the modes outside Full Experience don't feel like they're getting zero content in an update]

I mean, for me?
I personally don't mind either approach (one-sided or mix up), since I have an affinity for both aspects of the game (VN or gameplay), and this sentiment will be shared by several people who have taken a liking to contracts as well.
But I guess there may be a subset of your fans that may not be pleased with how you do things and cry out saying "you're not providing enough content for me."

Of course, you can't please everyone, and this is something you and pretty much every dev will have to go through at some point. But ngl, I don't envy the position that you may be put in with how vocal some can be.

I guess all in all, I want you to have no regrets when season 2 is done.
You left enough content to be there for season (so that doesn't feel underdeveloped), but season 2 still really feels stuffed, full.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Oh look at me, using 3 Simpsons gifs in one post :KEK:

Hellkinglucifer

Apr 29, 2020
Thanks justsum!
F95 hardens man/women more than war :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sourabh44

Jun 25, 2023
How much % of game is completed? Around 50-60%?
I don't know about how much is complete like only season 1 is here there is season 2 confirmed but there can be season 3 also so its less than Or equal to 50% but if you want to give a try and asking how many hours of gameplay is there then if you play full experience mode it took me 3-4 days while I was playing 6hour+ a day so content is nearly 24 hours long(i repeat if you play full experience mode and complete every contract 100%)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
How much % of game is completed? Around 50-60%?
Season 1 is 100% done.
Season 2 is 0% done.

How many seasons? Planned for around 3-4 seasons. And who knows, maybe more. Time will tell :)

What in the holy hell are you trying to say here!!??
Think he is saying I have received money from patreon for months without content and hence believe that people should speak up on that front. In another word - he's asking why're people not bringing out the pitchforks.
All I can say to that is - I've always stayed transparent and said it as it is. Patrons have stayed but have also left due to that, which is totally fair.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Think he is saying I have received money from patreon for months without content and hence believe that people should speak up on that front. In another word - he's asking why're people not bringing out the pitchforks.
All I can say to that is - I've always stayed transparent and said it as it is. Patrons have stayed but have also left due to that, which is totally fair.
Yeah, that was my guess.......god, people are idjits.........

4.40 star(s) 498 Votes